PDA

View Full Version : Blank Parchment, New Heroes - Adventures!

Pages : [1] 2

Raz_Fox
2008-10-19, 07:48 PM
The Nantir Mountains are known for their inhospitable terrain, their unstable weather, their forests filled with strange, eldritch creatures and their rich veins of rare metals and jewels. Due to this last factor, there are many baronies and kingdoms along the Nantir. Powerhungry lords seeking iron and mithril to equip their armies, mad artificers using the unique metals of the Nantir to create their inventions and mad mages seeking components for wyrd rituals - all settle along the Nantir and battle their neighbors.

Kingdoms and mining towns need supplies, so many caravans come into the Nantir to sell them such supplies. Fewer come out. It is with the caravan of one Taskon Bilerus that some vagabonds and mad adventure-seekers come into the Nantir. The flamboyant Shadar-Kai is wily and knows that guards paying you is a very good thing.

The driving rain had started some hours earlier, and showed no sign of stopping. Taskon Bilerus looks out from the lead wagon of the caravan, watching for any sign of bandits or monsters. It seems quiet, but it is always impossible to tell in the Nantir Mountains.

He turns and walks down to a battered-looking wagon, holding his cloak above his head to keep dry. He fumbles the door open, and steps in, looking at the travelers coming with the caravan. "You have the chance to prove your worth now. Go scout out ahead and make sure that there are no enemies up ahead on the road to Slatetine." Shaking his head, he steps back out and disappears into the driving rain once more.

OOC: I'll admit I railroaded a bit to get you to the start of the adventure, but I tried to leave you plenty of room to explain why you're here. The railroad stops here, everyone off. :smallwink:

Shades of Gray
2008-10-19, 09:00 PM
Aedrus

Aedrus sighs, obviously bored. He misses his warm, dry desert home, rather then the cold, wet countryside. He doesn't complain though.

If I had a single drop of water every time it's rained here, I'd have enough to keep my village alive.

OOC: italics mean thinking. I claim DarkSlateGray for my speech.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-19, 09:11 PM
Calenethir had assured Taskon that his eyes were the keenest of any of the rabble here and he had elected to ride atop the wagon while keeping watch. The rain didn't bother him. He wasn't too far from home and Nethril was subject to the same chilly, frequent downpour. He'd just decided to tie a bandana over his head to keep the water from rolling into his eyes. His coat is, sensibly, weather resistant and the droplets just rolled off the canvas material.

He slips from his perch and lands with a squish (his heavy boots displace a lot of mud). Then looks his traveling companions for anyone who isn't just a desperate vagabond; anyone who could hold their own in a fight.

"I'm heading out...anyone else?"

frogman55
2008-10-19, 09:23 PM
Jerik had been walking alongside the wagon, ignoring the rain. He smiles as Taskon gets out of the wagon. "You've finally got something for us to do? Admit it, you just want us to scout ahead to get me out of your hair."

loopy
2008-10-20, 01:12 AM
"Can't say I really blame the good Taskon, I'd be sick of your airs and graces as well if I didn't ignore you habitually." Tenet gives a wink and a short chuckle to let Jerik know he was kidding.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-20, 04:01 AM
Equilibrium slid smoothly out from the wagon, where he had been sitting cross-legged and experimenting with the various uses of magic, modifying well-known spells so that they could carry with the the Raven Queen's Bite and his heritage's birthright.

He hadn't payed much attention to his companions or the goings-on the past few days, but when called to scout, simply stood up to streach, as his writing components, spellbook, and research notebook quickl flew - seemingly of their own volition into his pack as he strode across the room, and he slipped aforementioned pack over his shoulders as it floated up to meet his back.

As he reached out with one hand and his staff smcked solidly into his outstreached palm from aacross the room, the Stygian mage breathed a quick charm to ward the rain from him as he stepped outside to meet his companions for the journey.

"Whats the plan, old friend?" he asks as he glides up behind Tenet, placing a heavy, comforting hand on the escaped indentured servant's shoulder.

Manthus
2008-10-20, 06:49 AM
Dorian

Dorian slips on his raincloak, showing especial care around his arm.
"These conditions are not exactly ideal for my line of work." He snorts.
"You're covering any and every bit of damage on my arm after this is over." He hops out of the wagon, carrying his staff with him. Tapping his staff on the solid dirt road, it flickers into light and lets out a healthy bright glow. He begins a steady walk down the road.

loopy
2008-10-20, 08:50 AM
Tenet

"I'd say we should move up about a mile ahead, keep a steady eye off both sides of the road, maybe have one or two people on the sides of the road just in case. Should be easy enough, Quill." Tenet scratches the stubble around the brand on his cheek while he thinks. "Of course, I'm no military man, if anyone else has expertise they'd like to share...?"

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-20, 09:02 AM
The Stygian nods along with Tenet's idea.
"Sounds solid enough to me, but then - I'm used to being indoors -so I'm not exactly the tactical mind to pick, here." he says as he notes a second mage, tapping his staff on the deck and setting it alight.

With an almost in auddilbe murmur, he prjoects the small illusion of a glowing, disemobodied, and rather cartoony hand in front of the other mage, held up as to signal "Stop".
Sure enough, Equilibrium's voice can be heard emanating from the the hand in a conversational tone:
"You may want to wait for the rest of us, friend. Saftey in numbers."

Presdignitation for the image - Ghost sound for the words. Assume the glow is soft and unfocused. Its not designed to fool anyone, just raw the other mage's attention.

frogman55
2008-10-20, 09:07 AM
"It's probably not a big deal. With this rain anybody with a bit of sense would be inside. Course, anybody intending to attack isn't going to have any anyway.

Sneaky boy, you wanna take point? We might see them before they see us. Or should I get my clanky rear out ahead and draw them out?"

loopy
2008-10-20, 09:42 AM
Tenet

"Ha, well if it weren't raining the way it is right now, your shiny armour would make a fine target. The way it is now though, I'd reckon the rain is enough cover for me. Easy is as easy does. I'm off then, I'll howl at ye if something turns awry." Tenet turns away, moving quietly towards the road ahead.

Edit: Now that is a nice roll to start the campaign with. :smallsmile:

Stealth: [roll0]

frogman55
2008-10-20, 09:44 AM
Jerik waits a few moments for the rogue to get ahead, and sets out behind.

OOC: Do we want a discussion of marching order?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-20, 09:50 AM
With a heavy sigh at everyone simply heading out, Equilibrum sinks into the mist and follows shortly behind his fellow Tiefling and a pace to the right.

[roll0]

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-20, 10:26 AM
Merenwen gazed disdainfully at the rain outside of the caravan. However, the other people were moving out, so she didn't see any reason as to why she shouldn't follow. "Wait for me." She soon clambered out of the caravan and headed out after her allies. She caught up as quickly as she could, trying her best not to attract the attention of anything that might be watching...

((OOC: Probably failed miserably))

Shades of Gray
2008-10-20, 10:31 AM
Aedrus

I shall become the night itself...

OOC: Taking Ten on my stealth check, using my utility power for a total of 18. And since I walked more than 3 this turn I gain concealment due to shadow walk.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-20, 10:51 AM
Calenethir waited behind politely until the wagon had unloaded of all potential adventurers. The half elf interested him and he trotted along beside her for a ways before chuckling at her ineptitude...before jogging ahead and waving her on.

"Quickly now. Step where I step...keep on your toes." he warns with a bemused smile, then blazes a trail to catch up with the others.

((Take 10 on Stealth, result of 20. Use "Crucial Advice" power to grant Merenwen a stealth reroll with a +2 bonus))

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-20, 11:24 AM
Merenwen watches the elf very carefully. "I will do my best to do what you have shown me." Feeling slightly more confident in being stealthy, thanks to the elf, Merenwen tries to follow in his steps...

... but fails again. "I simply cannot seem to keep myself following along with your expertise... I guess that's the one downside to being a warrior." She grinned wryly at this comment (still being a noisy twit).

((OOC: I rolled a natural one. >>))

Raz_Fox
2008-10-20, 02:09 PM
As the adventurers walk down the sloping mountain path, black shapes form out of the fog ahead. They approach down the narrow path - mostly human, some halflings and two elven archers in the back - all armed to the teeth.

Two step forward as the rest pull out clubs and light swords. One is a human, grizzled and scarred, carrying a hefty warhammer. The other is a halfling, seemingly unarmed, as fair as his comrade is ugly. He flashes you a winning grin as you approach.

"Good evening! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ienroyl Warmeye, the owner of this road. Alas, misfortune has fallen upon myself and my comrades here, and I am simply forced to ask for tolls from the travelers hereabouts. A light fee, no more than twenty gold a head plus fifty for any wagons let through.
However, if you decide to spurn my hospitality, I will be forced to look the other way as Wil here... ah, convinces you to pay the toll plus expenses.
I'm sure we can come to some form of agreement, here."

Here's the map:
00|a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w|x |y|z|
01|-| | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
02|-|-| | | |m|M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
03|-|-|-|A|D|Q|| |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
04|-|-|-|-| |C|J| | |T|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
05|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
06|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07|-|-|-|-|-| | |I|W| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |H| |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |h|h| | | | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
10|-|-|-|-|-|h|h| | | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
11|-|-|-|-|-| | | |H|H| | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
12|-|-|-|-| | | | |H| | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
13|-|-|-|-| | |E| | | |E| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
14|-|-|-| | | | | | | | | | M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15|-|-| | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
17| | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
18| | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M|M| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
19| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | |M| | | | | | | | | | |
20| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | |
21| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| |M|M|M|M|M| | |
22| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | |
23| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
24| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
25| | | | |F| | | |F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
26| | | |F|F|F| |F|F|F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Terrain is as follows: M=Sheer mountain. Impassable Terrain. -= Steep descent into the valley below. Impassable, counts as difficult if a DC 13 Athletics check is made before moving across it. F=the beginnings of a forest past the pass.

Enemies are as follows: I=Ienroyl, W=Wil, h=Halfling minions, H=Human minions, E=Elf archers.
Ienroyl has AC 16 Fort 13 Ref 15 Will 14.
Wil has AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12.
Halflings have AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 14.
Humans have AC 15 Fort 13 Ref 11 Will 11.
Elves have AC 15 Fort 11 Ref 13 Will 12.

Heroes are as follows: J=Jerik, C=Calenethir, T=Tenet, D=Dorian, Q=Quill, A=Aedrus, m=Morenwen.

Heroes have Init first, followed by the Enemies.

Lastly, Tenet hasn't been seen by the bandits and has Combat Advantage over everyone for his first turn.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-20, 02:18 PM
I do not believe the toll necessary. If you'll excuse us, can you please let us through.

This is less of a request, more of a statement.
Aedrus conjures a very faint wispy darkness from his hand.

[roll0]

OOC: Natural 20!

frogman55
2008-10-20, 02:23 PM
*Jerik advances slowly to stand beside the halfling (moves to 7g). As he walks Jerik (not touching his sword at all, or even looking like he's thinking about it) holds out his belt pouch."

"I apologize for my tempered friend. You know what elves are like. This should cover most of us, we'll go back to the wagons for the rest."

Jerik tosses the belt pouch (filled with shiny quartz rocks he has been picking up along the trail) softly towards the group of halflings in front of him.

Bluff roll:

[roll0]

ooc: crap, I was writing while you posted.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-20, 02:29 PM
Here's the map:
00|a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|i|j|k|l|m|n|o|p|q|r|s|t|u|v|w| | |z
01|-| | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
02|-|-| | | |m|M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
03|-|-|-|A|D|Q| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
04|-|-|-|-| |C|J| | |T|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
05|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
06|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07|-|-|-|-|-| | |I|W| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |H| |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |h|h| | | | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
10|-|-|-|-|-|h|h| | | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
11|-|-|-|-|-| | | |H|H| | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
12|-|-|-|-| | | | |H| | |H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
13|-|-|-|-| | |E| | | |E| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
14|-|-|-| | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15|-|-| | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
17| | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
18| | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M|M| | |M|M| | | | | | | | |
19| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M|M| | |M| | | | | | |
20| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | |
21| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| |M|M|M|
22| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |M| | | |
23| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
24| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
25| | | | |F| | | |F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
26| | | |F|F|F| |F|F|F| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Terrain is as follows: M=Sheer mountain. Impassable Terrain. -= Steep descent into the valley below. Impassable, counts as difficult if a DC 13 Athletics check is made before moving across it. F=the beginnings of a forest past the pass.

Enemies are as follows: I=Ienroyl, W=Wil, h=Halfling minions, H=Human minions, E=Elf archers.

Heroes are as follows: J=Jerik, C=Calenethir, T=Tenet, D=Dorian, Q=Quill, A=Aedrus, m=Morenwen.

Heroes have Init first, followed by the Enemies.

Lastly, Tenet hasn't been seen by the bandits and has Combat Advantage over everyone for his first turn.

(Excuse me a moment while I help Raz get this formated...)
(And there we go...Blue for Allies, Red for Enemies, Orange for enemy minions. Gotta use Courier New for maps to get the grid aligned)

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-20, 02:34 PM
Equilibrium taps the deck with his quarterstaff, grinningly wryly as he does so.
"Funny - you say this is your road? You don't seem to be performing much upkeep. I mean, a wagon could, theoretically travel over it. The common assumption is that to extract a price for something, there is a service offered."
As he speaks, Equilibrium presdignates an illusion of a small,venomous spider at his feet which he crushes seemingly absent-mindedly.
He then stands at a kind of modified, relaxed stance, feet shoulder width apart, base of the staff on the deck, witht he tip leaning foward, and looking at those in charge.

He seems to be humming abesent-mindedly to himself, where he is, in fact, saying a quick incantation to presdignitate the optical illusion that to quartz stones are, in fact, made of gold.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: OOC: Ouch. Natural one on both checks! Ray of Frost is ready to blast Will in the face should hostilities break out.

frogman55
2008-10-20, 02:38 PM
P.S. Jerik used his move action, he now readies a standard action to grab the halfling, action triggers as soon as hostilities break out. I'll roll then.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-20, 02:48 PM
This is going nowhere.

Aedrus lifts one hand up and point to the halfling.

Blight of the lands... I invoke, Contagion!

Darkness surrounds the bewildered halfling. It seems into his pores, he gains a pale expression.

OOC:

[roll0]

Move Action: Converted To Minor Action, Draw Rod
Minor Action: Curse The Halfling
Standard Action: Contagion on the Halfling.

frogman55
2008-10-20, 02:52 PM
Triggered after the contagion:

Grab the halfling:
Str v. reflex
[roll0]

On hit: Enemy is immobilized until escapes (can escape on his turn).

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-20, 03:00 PM
"Since we must get violent," Equilibrium says with a hint of disdain in his voice...
"Don't go anywhere!"

The Stygian points the tip of his staff towards Wil as a blue-white ray lances out and strikes Wil square in the chest.
"The Raven Queen shall claim you."

[roll0]
[roll1]
Wil takes 10 cold damage and is SLOW until the begining of my next turn. His movement speed is now 2.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-20, 03:08 PM
Calen spits out a curse in Elven...an ancient one regarding the Drow. Playtime was over, everyone else was getting ready to draw blood and it was time to mitigate the damage. He sets his eyes on the nearest elven archer and makes a mental note to take care of him as soon as possible; for now he lacked a clean shot.

Calen steps forward, rips his gun from the holster and two shots ring out half a second apart.

(Calen shifts to E-4, designates the archer at G-13 as his quarry, uses Twin Strike to attack the halflings at F-9 and G-9. Drawing a weapon is Free for him)

F-9
[roll0]

G-9
[roll1]

Both the halfling thugs yowl in pain with incapacitating wounds to their right shoulders then drop on the spot.

Here's the map:
04|-|-|-|-|C| | | | |T|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07|-|-|-|-|-| |J|I|W| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Calen: AC 18, Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 13. (HP 30/30)
Ienroyl is Grappled.
Wil is Slowed

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-20, 03:42 PM
Merenwen pops her eyebrows at the small speech given by the halfling known as Ienroyl. "You claim that you need these funds and that you want to give us hospitality, yet you threaten us if we refuse?" She moves up to beside the halfling to be better heard. "I'm afraid that doesn't make much sense to me. For Kord and country!" She brings her blade swooshing down to try to strike a blow...

Roll to Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

... and misses. "I'm not having the best of luck today, it seems."

((OOC: I didn't notice that he had been grappled... is this move still possible?))

frogman55
2008-10-20, 03:48 PM
Minor correction: I moved to seven g:

Here's the map:

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-20, 03:51 PM
((Then that would mean I moved to his front.))

Here's the map:
02|-|-| | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
06|-|-|-|-|-| | |m| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

((Either way, I missed.))

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-20, 03:53 PM
Here's the map:

Ienroyl is Grappled.
Wil is Slowed

Map is current

frogman55
2008-10-20, 05:15 PM
((OOC: I didn't notice that he had been grappled... is this move still possible?))

ooc: yeah, my grab only means that he's immobilized, it doesn't affect attacks against him at all. All it's really accomplished is to annoy him (He'll manage to escape as long as he rolls a 4 or higher)(assuming I'm looking at the right entry of the monster handbook).

frogman55
2008-10-20, 05:22 PM
Turn Finished: Jerik, Merenwen, Aedrus, Calenthir, Quill
Waiting on: Tenet, Dorian

Manthus
2008-10-20, 05:53 PM
Dorian dashes to F5, and targets the two halflings with a Force Orb.

Attack against Halfling H10
Damage [roll]2d8+5
Secondary Attack against Halfling G10
Damage [roll]d10+5

Do I inspire fear in the hearts of their comrades?

OOC: I can't roll 2d8+5, and 1d10+5, can someone do it for me?

Dorian AC:17 Fort:12 Ref:17 Will:16

Shades of Gray
2008-10-20, 05:58 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

@^ You rolled natural 1s for your attacks. I rolled double natural 1s on my damage.

Aedrus

HP:29
AC: 16, Fort: 13, Reflex: 14, Will: 16

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-20, 06:02 PM
Here's the map:
03|-|-|-|A| |Q| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
05|-|-|-|-|-|D| | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Ienroyl is Grappled.
Wil is Slowed

(You can't delete or add dice rolls to existing posts. Just roll your attack and possible damage at the same time. These are minions anyway so they only have the 1 HP)

frogman55
2008-10-20, 07:19 PM
Turn Finished: Jerik, Merenwen, Aedrus, Calenthir, Quill, Dorian
Waiting on: Tenet

Don't worry, our Aussie should be waking up soon.

frogman55
2008-10-20, 07:26 PM
Whoops, double post. Umm... oh yeah:

Jerik:

HP 33, AC 20, Fort 15, Reflex 12, Will 15.

Manthus
2008-10-20, 07:32 PM
Dorian AC:17 Fort:12 Ref:17 Will:16

Dorian twiddles his thumbs patiently and waits for Tenet to move.

loopy
2008-10-21, 12:56 AM
Tenet

Tenet watches the negotiation go downhill from off to the side, not yet noticed by the robbers. Assessing the situation, he runs around the combat, aiming his rapier for a vicious blow to the leaders back before anyone notices him.

"I knew this was going to be an interesting day."

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 19 Will: 15

Tenet uses a minor action to draw his rapier.
Move action to run counter-clockwise around the combatants to G-08.
Standard action to use Deft Strike against Ienroyl, moving to H-08 before he lunges, as per the move description.

Attack(Dex VS AC): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + SA of [roll2]

I think I did it all correctly. This is my first 4E combat.

EDIT: I forgot to add combat advantages +2, but it doesn't matter, I still miss.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-21, 06:40 AM
The two living halfling warriors yell out a shrill battle cry and charge Jerik, moving to F8 and G8.

Two of the human brutes swing around the melee to H4 and I4, pulling out clubs as they do so. One moves to H8 to attack Jerik, while four move to I9, J9, K9 and K8 to attack Tenet. One last skirts around the battlefield moving to K5.

One elf moves to F9, pulling out his bow, as the other moves to G9. They fire over the halflings at Aerus.

Wil roars in agony and limps forward to Merenwen to I6, swinging his warhammer wildly.

Lastly, Ienroyl pulls out a dagger and slashes at Jerik.

Halflings against Jerik: [roll0] [roll1]
Human against Jerik: [roll2]
Humans against Tenet: [roll3] [roll4] [roll5] [roll6]
Elves against Aerus: [roll7] [roll8] [roll9] [roll10]
Wil against Merenwen: [roll11] [roll12]
Ienroyl against Jerik: [roll13]

Jerik takes 12 damage from the light swords of the halflings and the human's club, and Ienroyl leaps from Jerik's arm onto the ground.
Tenet is swift and hard to hit, but one bandit hits his shoulder for 4 damage.
Elven marksmanship is famed, and both shots hit their mark. The arrows through Aerus's shoulder and hip deal 17 damage.
Lastly, Merenwen underestimates the frost-covered Wil, and he slams his warhammer into her face dealing 9 damage. As she staggers back in a daze, he leaps past her to H5.

Manthus
2008-10-21, 07:00 AM
Dorian pulls his good hand back far, and hurls a Scorching Burst at the Halflings at F-8 and G-8. He delights at his overhand pass as it travels straight towards the dastardly duo.

Attack F:[roll0]
Attack G:[roll1]

frogman55
2008-10-21, 07:18 AM
Jerik smiles, draws sword as he summons a purplish halo around the halfling. He glances at the others around him and brings a two-handed swing around towards Ienroyl

Minor -- draw weapon. Minor -- Divine challenge vs. ienroyl Standard--
Valiant Strike-- +11 [roll0]

[roll1]

ooc: edit -- rolls didn't work, try again.

ok, from ooc my attack was 19. damage was 15

Jerik smacks him hard in the face with the flat of his blade (non-letha damage)

Jerik -- 21hp, AC 20, Fort 15, Reflex 12, Will 15.

Btw-- by my count Ionroyl has now taken 44 damage -- 10 poison, 19 from tenet, 15 from me.

Also, did Ionroyl make his saving throw against poison? If not, Wil is poisoned now too.

loopy
2008-10-21, 08:31 AM
Tenet

Now that he was in position, Tenet delivered another vicious blow to the back of the bandit leader.

Piercing Strike on Ienroyl,
Attack vs Reflex: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + SA of [roll2]

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 19 Will: 15

EDIT: I also added incorrectly last turn, I did hit Ienroyl. I fail maths, apparently.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-21, 08:38 AM
OOC: You want to attack someone else, Loopy? Ienroyl is deadity dead dead. Apparently, he blinked.

Edit: Oops, didn't read Frogman. He's gonna have one heckuva headache when he wakes up.

frogman55
2008-10-21, 08:48 AM
Edit: Oops, didn't read Frogman. He's gonna have one heckuva headache when he wakes up.

ooc: and a broken nose and a glorious black eye.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-21, 08:59 AM
Equilibrium - Stygian Tiefling - Cold Mage:
AC: 16 FORT: 11 REF: 15 WILL: 15 - 24/24 HP

The Stygian mage stands his ground, stance unchanged from his poor attempts at diplomacy at the begniing of the encounter, leaning the tip of the staff forward again and sending out another blue-white lance at Wil.
"I Said stand fast, you idiot."

[roll=ColdDamage]1d6=5

frogman55
2008-10-21, 09:15 AM
update -- Wil has taken 16 cold damage.

Turns finished -- Jerik, Quill, Dorian.
Needs to retarget -- Tenet
Waiting on -- Merenwen, Shades, Calenthir

Jerik: HP 21, AC 20, Fort 15, Reflex 12, Will 15

frogman55
2008-10-21, 09:27 AM
Here's an uncolored update of the map:
04|-|-|-|-|C| | |H|H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
05|-|-|-|-|-|D| | | |H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
06|-|-|-|-|-| | |m|W| | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07|-|-|-|-|-| |J| | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08|-|-|-|-|-|h| |T|H| | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |E|E|H|H|H|H| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
10|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
11|-|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
12|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
13|-|-|-|-| | | | | | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-21, 09:40 AM
!!!
Now that I have a battlemap up and can see the positioning of the minons:
Equilbirum will spend an actin point to make another attack (Assuming I recall the action point rules correctly.)

As the white lance reaches through the air, the mage's off-hand raises in a sharp, upward motion accompanied by a dirty glance at the feet of one of the humans (j9). The ground beneath him and his adjacent buddies is suddenly coated with a thin sheen of dangrous, slippery ice.

And thats the liberal use of my Encounter power! ICY TERRAIN!
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
+4 for INT, +1 for Frozen Daemonblood
Roll Order: Center, then proceeding to the 9 0'clock position and clockwise from there. Nonlethal damage on all 'hits'. They're just poor bandit minions

loopy
2008-10-21, 09:45 AM
*cough* I noticed that, truly. :smallredface:

I use tumble to shift to J6 before doing the above piercing strike to Wil.

frogman55
2008-10-21, 09:56 AM
Here's an uncolored update of the map:
04|-|-|-|-|C| | |H|H| |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
06|-|-|-|-|-| | |m|W|J| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08|-|-|-|-|-|h| | | | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |E|E|H|H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Ienroyl has AC 16 Fort 13 Ref 15 Will 14.(Out cold)

Also, Wil has now taken 29 damage. Assuming he's got the stats for a human bandit, this means he is now bloodied but kickin.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 11:05 AM
Unfazed by the surge of battle, Calen sidesteps and turns his revolver to his left and delivers two shots at point blank range.

(Shift to F-4, Twin Strike)

H-4 (Prime Shot bonus +1)
[roll0]

I-4 (if H-4 Drops, if not, attack H-4 again)
[roll1]

Shots remaining: 2

...and both of his targets hit the ground and contemplate their poor choices in life.

frogman55
2008-10-21, 11:08 AM
2 hits on minions so:

04|-|-|-|-| |C| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
06|-|-|-|-|-| | |m|W|T| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08|-|-|-|-|-|h| | | | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |E|E|H|H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Turns finished -- Jerik, Quill, Dorian, Calenthir, Tenet
Waiting on -- Merenwen, Aedrus,

ooc: If you're back Nef, you wanna take the map back over?

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 11:14 AM
(Calen Shifted right. Please and thank you)
(I've got class for the next few hours, if the map is up to date as of now then I wouldn't worry about it much. I'll update it when/if I'm around. Also - you've got two "J"s on the map, I think the far right one should be Tenet)

Edit: (Do we like the map color coded? It doesn't slow me down any to color code combatants)

06|-|-|-|-|-| | |m|W|T| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08|-|-|-|-|-|h| | |*|*|*| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |E|E|H|H|*|*| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
10|-|-|-|-|-| | | |*|*|*| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

* = Difficult Terrain. A burst effect centered on J-9

Shades of Gray
2008-10-21, 04:33 PM
Aedrus

"I require assistance. Help me."

Aedrus points his hand at one of the elven archers.

"Spite of my so called "light" kin. I Invoke... Spiteful Glamor!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC:
Contagion Effects:
The halfling takes 10 ongoing damage, if he passed it's save, then the following happens: It will also spread to Will and two minions. The minions, a human and a halfling, die. Will will take 5 ongoing damage, save ends.

Minor Action: Erm... Nothing really.
Standard Action: Spiteful Glamor.
Move Action: Walking three squares north to activate my shadow walk.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 04:44 PM
(Okay, Ienroyl was last seen at H-7, so when he failed his save at the end of his turn, every enemy within 4 squares of him (that's everyone else) was afflicted with 5 Ongoing Poison damage...which they will suffer from at the begining of their next turn)

frogman55
2008-10-21, 05:08 PM
Shades: Keep your first turn. Except I believe you can only curse 1 enemy in a turn, and it needs to be the enemy closest to you, which means you can only get Wil or the human with a curse. Curse, shoot, and move more than 3 squares (moving enough gives you concealment again).

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 05:12 PM
(He's right about that. One curse per turn and only on the closet enemy. I'd forgotten about the "closest enemy" bit too...so that invalidates my earlier Quarry designation)

Raz_Fox
2008-10-21, 05:43 PM
Ienroyl takes a deep, shuddering breath as his body convulses with dark magic.

[roll0]

However, it appears the scoundrel has hidden reserves of willpower and the dark magic dissapates harmlessly.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-21, 06:10 PM
" Not so Fast!"

Aedrus uses an action point to gain a standard action.

"You will not escape your fate"

He blasts the same elf with an eldritch blast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC: Bonuses to my attack are from Merenwen. Thank you Merry!

Manthus
2008-10-21, 07:26 PM
"Two can play at that game!"

Dorian spends an action point to gain a standard action.

Dorian hurls a Scorching Burst centered on G9.

Halfling 8 :smallfurious: Attack: d20+6
Elf F9 Attack:d20+6
Damage:d6+5
Elf G9 Attack:d20+6
Damage:d6+5

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-21, 08:10 PM
((So I'm dazed... I guess I need to try to make a saving throw...))

Saving Throw: [roll0]

((... These dice rollers hate me...))

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 08:17 PM
(Correction! Mer is NOT dazed (as per the status effect), Raz simply described it as a dazing attack...which it was not in the technical sense.)

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-21, 08:43 PM
((You're welcome, Aedrus. Also, in that case...))

Dwayna reels slightly from the blow, looking back angrily to Wil. "You shall perish beneath my sword!" With this, she decides to use Viper's Strike.

Roll to Hit: [roll0]
Success: [roll1]

((Cripeys...
Wait. Am I even doing it right? Doesn't my longsword get a +4 bonus to attack? either way, I'm pretty sure I missed, but still.))

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 08:48 PM
(+3 Prof, +3 for Strength, +1 for your level, +2 cuz he's flanked...so you got a 17. Which hits!)

06|-|-|-|-|-| | |m| |T| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08|-|-|-|-|-| | | |*|*|*| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |E|E|H|H|*|*| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

* = Difficult Terrain. A burst effect centered on J-9

Calen dropped two human thugs...
'Quill laid down a frosty AOE, the effects of which are marked with *, 3 minions went down
Dorian blasted some minions with another Scorching Burst and took out the last Halfling minion.
Merewen slashed Wil for 9 damage.
AND Aedrus does 7 damage to the left-most Elf Archer

Wil goes down...
And a halfling at H-8 was killed twice by scorching bursts - curious!

The PCs are done!

Raz_Fox
2008-10-21, 08:54 PM
OOC: Congrats. Wil is down.

Merenwen finally succeeds to do something right, coming down beneath Wil's guard with a lethally accurate thrust. The man bellows with pain before finally collapsing on the sword. His warhammer drops out of limp fingers.

The two elves nod to each other and dash back to F16 and G16, firing their bows at Dorian as they flee. The humans standing next to them flee as well, running for their lives to H17 and I16.

The man standing next to Tenet drops his club and to his knees, pleading for his life to be spared by such fearful mages and warriors.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-21, 09:09 PM
[roll0][roll1] [roll2][roll3]
Elven Acc, if needed: [roll4] [roll5]

Dorian is skewered by the elven arrows and takes 15 damage from their uncanny accuracy. The two elves fight as one, and to dodge one arrow is to skewer yourself on the other.

Edit: I meant Dorian. :smallannoyed: Like Grey, like Grey, like Grey. Need to remember that.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 09:20 PM
Clearly piqued by his brethern's disgusting display and lack of honor, Calen slides out into the open and aims to gun the wounded one down.

"******* tree huggers! I'll tear your ears off, you cowards!"

(Calen moves to F-7 and lets the elf at F-16 have it with a Twin Strike, designates his Quarry)

[roll0]
[roll1] Damage 1
[roll2]
[roll3] Damage 2
[roll4] Quarry Damage]

(Both hit! 15 damage done...22 damage taken so far. Oh, and of course Calen is shouting in Elven)

04|-|-|-|-| | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07|-|-|-|-|-|C|J| | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| | | | |*|*|*| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | | | |E|E| |H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
17| | | | | | | |H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-21, 09:39 PM
((... and I can understand every word of it. XD))

Merenwen cusses herself, looking back at Dorian. "Do you need assistance?" She looks ready to either move to help Dorian, or move to fight the enemies.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-21, 10:22 PM
"Gods they are getting on my nerves..."

Aedrus lifts one hand toward an elf as he runs forward.

"Die"

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC:

Move Action: Moving South 6 Squares.
Minor Action: Curse the damn elf.
Standard Action: Cursebite

frogman55
2008-10-21, 10:23 PM
Jerek moves purposefully, and advances in the teeth of the arrows right up to the elves <uses 2 movement actions to advance 8 squares> and bellows a challenge at the elves as he wildly swings his sword <divine challenge (marked the more healthy elf) and uses action point to gain a standard action, uses Fearsome Smite -> Cha vs. AC, 2[w]+cha damage, if hits target takes wisdom mod (-2) penalty to attack.>

[roll0] to hit vs 15 AC

[roll1] damage

frogman55
2008-10-21, 10:41 PM
Also, in the event that the elves panics and allows for opportunity attacks.

1st chance:
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage
2nd chance:
[roll2] to hit
[roll3] damage

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-21, 10:48 PM
03|-|-|-| | |Q| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07|-|-|-|-|-|C| | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |A| | |*|*|*| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15|-|-| | | | |J| | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | | | | |E| |H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
17| | | | | | | |H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

(Jerik - You've got 2 options here...spend an action point for the extra move, or use the Run option to move and take a -5 penalty to your attack. Either way...prepare for pain since these guys have interupt abilities)

(One elf bites it)

frogman55
2008-10-21, 10:53 PM
ooc: I did use the action point -- sorry, in my ooc above I said I used it to gain the standard action. Same difference though.

Also, should my Fearsome smite or potential opportunity attacks successfully kill an elf, I intend to use it to trigger my Raven Queen's Blessing to use a healing surge.

Oh I know I'm probably in for some pain, but thats my job, isn't it?

loopy
2008-10-22, 05:55 AM
Tenet

Tenet raises his rapier to the surrendering bandits throat. "You'll be staying right where you are, mate, or you'll be joining your friends on the ground over there."

Manthus
2008-10-22, 07:04 AM
"Augh!!!!"

Dorian screams in pain as the two arrows sink into his chest. A faint metallic sound is heard under his robe. He opens his robe to see an arrow sticking from the metal plate. Dorian invokes Warforged Resolve. Every wire in his body glows a bright red.

"Your blood will spill today!"

An Acid Arrowfrom Dorians fingertips streaks towards the retreating bandits, aimed towards the elf.

Attack:(d20+6)[12]
Damage:[roll1] and 5 ongoing.

Yes! Finally worked!

Manthus
2008-10-22, 07:14 AM
Missed. Half-Damage=7. Ongoing Damage=2.

The acid arrow lands at the elf's feet, splashing some of the vile liquid onto its leg. It begins gnawing away at his skin.

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-22, 10:25 AM
Merenwen moves up to beside Dorian. "I know that you can pull through this." Her words seem laced with magic...

((Inspiring Word. Spend a healing surge to gain 1d6+... 5 hit points, from what it looks like.))

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 11:02 AM
The elf jumps backwards from Jerik's swing, ducking into a roll and coming up with an arrow nocked. He fires at Jerik.

[roll0] [roll1]

The shot goes wide, but he's still out of Jerik's reach at G17. He turns, poised to flee.

frogman55
2008-10-22, 11:07 AM
Finished: Jerik, Aedrus, Calen, Dorian, Tenet, & Meren.
Still to go: Quill

NPCs left: Elf @ 17G (Marked by Jerik, full HP); Human minions @ 17H & 16I

Rule question: My Fearsome Smite was interrupted--does it still count as used or do I still have it?

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 11:10 AM
(Interrupts, like this one, invalidate the triggering attack. So yes, you keep a charge of a power that you were about to use. You didn't get to swing because you lacked a target to swing at by the time your action was resolved.)

03|-|-|-| | |Q| | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07|-|-|-|-|-|C| | | | | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
09|-|-|-|-| |A| | |*|*|*| | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15|-|-| | | | |J| | | | | |M|M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | | | | | | |H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
17| | | | | | |E|H| | | | |M| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-22, 05:05 PM
Bursting into action, Equilbirum suddenly dashes foward, lining himself up behind the retreating elf and beats boots against the deck, flinging a ray of frost from the tip of his staff when within forty feet of his target.

Move to G09.
Ray of Frost Elf at G17.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Attack was vs. Fort, and therefore a miss. He is within eight squares of me right now, I have a 6 square movement rate. Not going to sustain the icy terrain.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 05:25 PM
The elf gives Aedrus one hate-filled, tearful glance before turning and running for his life into the forest, with the two men falling in behind him. Their footsteps are swift, and pursuit would be difficult.

Meanwhile, the man groveling at Tenet's feet is nearly insensible with terror, certain that "the dark mage" is going to kill him with his limitless arcane power.

Suddenly, Taskon steps directly out of the man's shadow, scaring the poor soul even further. He looks around in dismay and runs his fingers through his pure-white hair.

"Burning sun, it is truly luck that caused me to send you out ahead. Why, if you hadn't been here, the wagons could have been ransaked while we fought. I must thank you very much. Is the leader of this miserable band of scoundrels dead?"

As he speaks, the caravan wagons start to come slowly down the trail.

frogman55
2008-10-22, 05:32 PM
Jerik stalks back to the group with a smile on his face as he sheathes his unbloodied sword. "I think this was their leader, at least he spoke for the group." Jerik's grin gets even bigger as he picks up the moaning halfling and begins methodically removing daggers. Jerik also uses one of the rusty daggers to start cutting off the halfling's clothing. "You can never tell where people are hiding something. Besides, if he's naked, he won't give us near as much trouble."

Jerik humms tonelessly to himself as he works. "Also, men without clothes scare easily."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 05:59 PM
"Run away coward."

He takes one glance at the fleeing elf and leaves it at that.

"Sorry for instigating the fight, but as many of you know... These affairs generally turn to combat. I apologize to you Dorian, you seem very injured, I am fairly wounded myself. We should rest soon, lick our wounds and all that."

Aedrus puts his rod away and turns to the halfling.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 06:04 PM
"I do not suspect that is necessary..." Calen glances sideways to the incapacitated and now shirtless halfling, but decides to keep his nose out of any interrogation.

He breaks open his revolver, dumps the spent shells on the ground and leisurely reloads his weapon. After replacing the gun in its holster he starts checking the stiffs for anything shiny.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-22, 06:11 PM
The tiefling curses as the last elf and the minions run ito the forest.
"They may be very angry at us in the near future. I recommend we step up our guard." he comments, seemingly to himself, as he meanders wo the group of minions he incapcitated with his Icy Terrain conjuration.
"I have spared these three a visit to the Raven Queen." he anncounces, as begins removing any and all weaponry from their persons.
"If we can't find a reason to keep them about, we can use them to scare the others, or allow the predetors an easy meal. Bandit loyalty is notoriously low, I hear. Converting them to our side probably wouldn't last long."

frogman55
2008-10-22, 06:18 PM
Still holding up the halfling by a leg, Jerik glances up at Calen's comment, shruggs, and looks back at Taskon.

"What would you like me to do with him? A few did get away, it might be a good idea to track them down."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 06:45 PM
"The elf is probably gone by now. Our race and our kin are very good at not being found. I should have marked him with Darkfire though as he ran. But oh well."

"We Can hire the halflings and humans, We seemed to manage fine by ourselves however. There were a few rough moments... But if we can get our tactics hammered down we should be able to handle ourselves. I have better things to spend my money on then hired thugs. However you can do with them as you please."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 06:52 PM
Coldly, "I can track them. The elf may be long gone, but those two humans will leave deep tracks in the mud and they'll lead us straight to their hideout."

He breaks open his revolver a second time, like he's paranoid he missed a bullet. "I can track them...but it'll run you extra. I signed on to keep the caravan safe; I'm not slogging through the forest looking for bandits just for my health." he wags his gun at Taskon (fingers on the grip, a mostly non-threatening gesture).

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-22, 06:54 PM
"Leaving them unconcouis and unarmed in the forest would seem the height ofcurelty to me, and yet if we leave them blades to survive, they'll probably go back to banditing." 'Quill says as he stands over them, before turning back to the carvan master.
"Your carvan, your choice. I ask that if you want them executed, you not come to me to perform the deed. I worship Death. I am not a murderer."
With that, he sticks their blade-points into the dirt and goes to examine the other wizard...
"I admire your versatility with the Arcane Arts, my friend. My name is Equil -
Wait a second. I recognise you. Did you learn from the Crystal Tower?"

frogman55
2008-10-22, 06:58 PM
"You don't want to chase them, Calenthir? Come on, it'll be fun. Besides, if we scare them enough they won't go back to banditing, blades or no."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 07:00 PM
"About as much fun as a few more arrows straight to your gut."

This is a serious statement. Aedrus doesn't do funny.

"I could scare them. Some people find me... very persuasive."

Aedrus notices his hand is still pulsating with dark energy, he releases the effect.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 07:09 PM
"No, dashing through the forest in a downpour with the express intent of maiming or killing a few more two-copper highwaymen does not particularly sound like fun. Nor does it sound prudent. My prudence, however, has a price."

He glances down at himself and pats his chest and stomach. "...no arrows. Curious, that..."

frogman55
2008-10-22, 07:12 PM
While waiting for Taskon to tell him what to do about the halfling, Jerik reaches up the black feather tied to his horn. His eyes close, and the feather suddenly gleams with a bright light. The light fades as quickly as it appears, and the deep slashes in his arm suddenly disappear.

Used 1 healing surge w/lay on hands (didn't have to rest) :smallcool: HP: 29/33, 10 healing surges left.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-22, 07:13 PM
'Quill looks away from the framilar mage.
"Two-copper in the bad guy bank turns back to bite us with the interest." he explains solemnly.
"Worst case scenario, of course."

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 07:19 PM
Taskon shakes his head. "Bah! All I care about is making sure these wagons and their provisions travel the remaining day to Slatetine safely. If you think you could keep this caravan safe by going and hunting down a few stray bandits, you are by all means welcome to. I, however, will be continuing down the road with the caravan and I need an increased guard. Go or stay as you will, but remember that your provisions are in Jerik's wagon. If you need chains and cuffs, I believe Pirl the blacksmith may have some in his wagon."

So saying, he blurs, vanishes, and reappears in the shadow of his wagon, which he leaps onto.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 07:19 PM
"Hardly my concern who the "bad guys" are, is it? For the right price I'd be robbing caravans, not protecting them."

He gives his revolver and idle twirl with a finger under the trigger guard.

Calen's a big fellow; it's hard to tell he's an elf at first glance. He's far too broad in the shoulders and chest. And at the moment he wears a black bandana over the fop of his head, pulled down around the ears. He wouldn't be quite so tall, but those massive boots of his push him up to an easy 6'2".

No more pay? Fine then. He starts making his way back to the wagon.

frogman55
2008-10-22, 07:21 PM
Jerik frowns slightly. "I doubt those three had many friends left. I'd guess they brought as strong a force as possible to watch the pass. What worries me more is whether or not they're really on their own. I've heard stories about the lords and such out here -- If a baron sent this one," Jerik shakes Ionroyl for effect, "we could be in for some real trouble."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 07:21 PM
"Maybe you don't have arrows in you because I posed a larger threat."

Aedrus says this with a slight smile.

Healing Surge

HP: 19/29

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 07:32 PM
"Yes well, I'd shoot at you too if I were blasted with dark magic."

Calen spins his gun, holsters it and carries on towards the wagon. He has nothing to prove and is more level headed than to waste words sparring with a Drow. The Gray Elves didn't greet the Drow with the same vitriol that their brethren might have...but they didn't necessarily like them any more.

frogman55
2008-10-22, 07:34 PM
Jerik softly taps Ionroyl in the head a couple times. "Wakey wakey little man."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 07:36 PM
"Very well"

Aedrus heads over to the halfling.

Manthus
2008-10-22, 07:44 PM
"I'll be in my wagon." Dorian drags his feet in the mud as he walks towards the caravan. His white robes are stained with blood and his hair is soaked from the rain. He immediately begins tending to his wounds.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 08:43 PM
Ienroyl moans. "Good gods, what did I drink last night? Slatetine ale?" Then he focuses on Jerik and Aerus and screams in terror, scrambling back up and away from the Tiefling. "I'm so sorry for this unfortunate misunderstanding it could have been peaceful if your thrice-damned drow hadn't fired please don't hurt meeeee!

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-22, 08:43 PM
'Quill frowns quietly before following Dorain.

"Hey, wait up!" he calls, jogging besides the older human and falling in stride with him as they approach the wagons.
"I try to take the oppertunity to exchange knowledge with any other mages I meet." he says breathily, as if to explain his actions.
"My name is Equilibrium, alumnus of the Crystal Tower."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 08:45 PM
(Obligatory *nudge* for loot and XP)

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 08:47 PM
OOC: Sorry about that. 100 xp each, but the bandits weren't carrying any gold on them, only a few copper pieces.
...Of course, Ienroyl hasn't been frisked completely yet. :smallwink:

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 08:48 PM
"I've observed countless numbers of these situations. Observed. All of them end up like this. You're nothing but a petty thief. Tell me, is anyone employing you?"

1d20+12

frogman55
2008-10-22, 08:48 PM
"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. I may hang you upside down and naked from a tree, but I won't hurt you. Course, I can't speak for the elf. Never know with elves, shifty they are."

He grabs the halfling by the hair as Ionroyl backs away.

"So, tell me about the area. Does your boss have other people blocking different paths? Or was this all your idea?"

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 08:49 PM
[roll0]

Roll messed up...

Shades of Gray
2008-10-22, 08:50 PM
[roll0]

............. Yeah......

frogman55
2008-10-22, 08:52 PM
Give yourself a +2 from my 'aid.' And your intimidate is a bit higher than mine. Which means 17.

"I don't have to tell you, little man, that cooperation is in your best interest?"

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-22, 08:55 PM
Back at the wagons, Calenethir goes in search of his employer to discuss compensation - is he available?

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 08:59 PM
"I-it was just me and my cousins and Wil's family for a while, until Varenis's boys hired us. We really were destitute paupers, even with the boys of Trollbane paying us. They only came over every couple of fortnights, and it was just bad luck that you fearsome but kind-hearted warriors came along while they were here. If you let them get away to tell their pa... well, heads will roll, trust me. They don't like being beaten."

He looks around at the devastation, and Wil's body lying nearby.

"D-do you mind if I come with you? I don't want to stay out here waiting for those ill-begotten whelps to finish me off - or their pa's snipers to do the job. Slatetine might be the safest place for me, now."

frogman55
2008-10-22, 09:01 PM
"What exactly were they paying you? And tell me about Varenis."

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 09:25 PM
"Bah. Those skinflints paid us fifteen gold pieces to be shared and an extra gold for me and Wil. In return, they took everything.

And you tell me you've never heard of *hem hem* Baron Varenis Jaegiir Trollbane, Liberator of the Western Pale! He fought in the Trollwar, and took over a buncha Elf tribes. He's supposed to be sharp, but I've heard that he coddles his twin brats and allows them to be scoundrels and blackguards outside of his dominion. He doesn't mess around a lot here in the south, but his snipers and bounty hunters are legendary."

frogman55
2008-10-22, 09:36 PM
"A whole seventeen gold? Doesn't seem fair." Jerik squats so he is face to face with the halfling. "I don't trust you, little man. My good nature was prevailed upon, and I didn't finish searching you. But, if I find anything on you later, anything you don't claim to have now, it will go very, very hard on you."

"Was that elf who ran away one of Verenis' boys? Where did he go?"

Raz_Fox
2008-10-22, 09:41 PM
"...Elf that ran away? As in one elf?"

Ienroyl's face pales, and he clutches at Jerik.

"You didn't kill one and let the other run, did you?!? Oh, merciful gods..."

frogman55
2008-10-22, 09:49 PM
"So tell me where he ran."

Jerik reached out and squeezed Ionroyl's battered nose.
"And empty out your pockets while you talk. Whatever these elves have been up to around here, don't forget that I am your problem right now."

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-23, 01:47 AM
Merenwen smiles wryly at the situation at hand, and decides to step into trying to intimidate the halfling. "You know if you dare oppose us, halfling, you will end up the same as what I did to Wil here." Points at Wil's dead body. "Or is that not enough to persuade you to play nice?"

Intimidate: [roll0]

((I'm pretty sure that worked. :smallbiggrin:))

loopy
2008-10-23, 06:14 AM
Tenet

If no one comes over to take care of the prisoner Tenet's holding, Tenet aims a careful punch to the bandits temple, knocking him out cold. He then proceeds to start looting the fallen.

For those of you who haven't known Tenet for long, this is perhaps the happiest you've seen him, ripping open hems with his dagger and rifling through coin-purses. Quill, who has known him longer, has also seen him happier. There was that time in the noble's treasure room, the time in the crypt with the jewelled shield...

Manthus
2008-10-23, 06:56 AM
Dorian to 'Quill

"I am Dorian Heartlund, alumni of the University of the Arts in Paladia." Dorian sighs, "I am injured and need to get to my medicine chest. If you'll be so kind to let a man tend to his wounds, I may have a spell that might be of aid to you. Off you go."
As he is leaving, he remembers something. Dorian hands Equilibrium a bloody arrowhead. "A souvenir."

Raz_Fox
2008-10-23, 07:39 AM
Merenwen smiles wryly at the situation at hand, and decides to step into trying to intimidate the halfling. "You know if you dare oppose us, halfling, you will end up the same as what I did to Wil here." Points at Wil's dead body. "Or is that not enough to persuade you to play nice?"

"I am playing nice, you idiot! Just like I was "playing nice" in the pass and "playing nice" by answering yer questions instead of doing the smart thing and running for me life! B'god, they grow 'em stupid in the outlands."

He pulls out a pouch from his trousers and tosses it at Jerik's feet. "90 gold crowns, all I've got. You happy now, horns?"

Meanwhile, digging through the bandit's belongings Tenet finds ten gold crowns and a small vial of sea-blue liquid.

Lastly, Calenethir finds Taskon in his wagon, poring over a map. He looks up sharply when Calenthir enters and sharply says, "Yes? What do you want? I'm very busy at the moment so please make it quick."

frogman55
2008-10-23, 08:24 AM
Jerik again picks up the halfling, this time by his hair. All trace of his smirk is now gone, and instead of the usual white, his eyes appear to be glowing slightly red. "You have a hard time answering my questions. Where did that elf go?"

Raz_Fox
2008-10-23, 08:51 AM
Ienroyl snarls back, "My best guess would be he's gone to fetch his stag and then ride like the gates o' hell are behind him to go tell his father about this humilating experience. If you didn't catch him, then I guess you're out of luck. He's one of the fastest elves I've ever seen, and that's saying something."

frogman55
2008-10-23, 02:19 PM
Still holding the halfling, Jerik picks up one of the discarded daggers on the ground. As his smirk returns, but his eyes radiating red, Jerik says "I guess you would know all about humiliation, wouldn't you?" Jerik then resumes removing the halfling's clothes with the dagger.

ooc: I'm not sure if you want me to roll any checks -- I'm seeing if Ionroyl is holding out again, either with info or treasure, and maybe trying to get some more fear/intimidation to stick.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-23, 03:55 PM
Back at the wagons...

Calen's shrewd and perceptive; he thinks he's put the pieces together. He doesn't need to interrogate any of the bandits to know what's up here...

"Look, Taskon, Elven archers don't work for scraps and they don't team up with common thugs. This route is a lot more dangerous than you've let on...probably because you're transporting something we don't know about. Those weren't just common highwaymen, they were waiting for you, weren't they?"

He folds his arms and looks sideways. "Now, I signed up here out of the goodness of my heart and because I'm going the same way...but if you're hauling something 'special', I want to know about it. And I'm going to need a lot more hazard pay. Oh, and of course, there's no reason for me to mention this to the others..."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-23, 05:00 PM
Quill blushes as much as hs skin would show, and grabs the arrowhead.
"My apologies. Be careful with those wounds. Arrows can be particulalrly nasty." he says with a gracious half-bow. And begins to walk away.
"I knew someone named Dorian at the University of the Arts. I transferred there for a semester early in my studies. Its a fine college. I'm honoured to be alongside one of their students."

With that, he returns to the looting of the fallen.

"What are the spoils, Tenet?" he asks his friend as he chants a quick spell to clean blood and grime off blades and armour.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-23, 05:17 PM
"Should of stopped him while I had the chance..."

We should go to the bandit's HQ. In the long run, we'll make these roads safer for other caravans. And I'm pretty sure we would get a better reward.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-23, 05:24 PM
"Well, I guess you're the voice of reason here, eh, Dark Elf?" Quill quips.
"Whats with the sudden turnaround? Did our little prisoner threaten us with returning elfy doom? If thats the case - we've already lost some valuble time. Wheres that guy who said he could track them?""

Shades of Gray
2008-10-23, 05:29 PM
"I have my motives. I'm not really trying to make money for myself. I'm pretty sure we'll get more money this way. Which will help my cause.

Besides, I have an arrow to return to him. Painfully"

Aedrus is holding on to the arrows that was in him.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-23, 05:35 PM
"If you hadn't opened the inevitable hostilities, you may have never been on the recieving end of the arrows." 'Quill points out bluntly.
"I was a fight. People died, and they were trying to kill you so they didn't join those ranks. I'd forgive him an arrow."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-23, 05:56 PM
"Somebody had to start the "inevitable" hostilities as you said. I saw the others readying to start, and The halfling was in the perfect position for my spell. And I knew we wouldn't have actually payed that ridiculous sum. As for the arrows. I take these "inconveniences" very seriously. "

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-23, 06:31 PM
"Now now. That attitude isn't very pleasant." Merenwen's mouth pulled into a small smirk, her cold, ice blue eyes gazing at the halfling warily before turning away.

At this point in time, it's hard for her to decipher whom exactly she should talk to. She decided to take to mumbling to herself in Draconic, as if this was something she liked to do regularly.

frogman55
2008-10-23, 08:01 PM
"I'm almost done with this one, Aedrus." Jerik pokes the halfling with the knife, "Would you mind finding Calenthir? Let him know what the halfling said and find out what he thinks. We'll probably need his help before this is all done, anyway."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-23, 08:18 PM
"I'm not on the best of terms with him... but fine"

Aedrus walks over to Calen.

"The halfling says that the humans are heading back to their bosses. The elf that escaped is probably telling his father about his brother's demise. His father was the one buying out the bandits, along with the Halfling and Will.

The general consensus is that we're going to track the bandits down. After we get our payment from this guard mission. Will the tracks still be fresh enough to follow after we get our payment? Or should some of us head off to collect the rewards, and we'll start tracking, leaving behind something for the others to follow us there. "

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-23, 09:15 PM
Slightly annoyed at having his business with Taskon interrupted...

"There won't be any tracks in a few more hours if this rain keeps up. Heh, and no one here can track that elf except me. Why do you want to go after him anyway? Is there a reward?"

Raz_Fox
2008-10-23, 10:02 PM
Taskon gets up, walks over to Calenethir and Aedrus and gives Aedrus a calculating look. "Very well, do what you will. I don't really care if this elf runs for his life or dies in the woods. Do run along now."

He turns to Calenethir and whispers, "Very astute, but not entirely correct. Allow me to explain further when we arrive in Slatetine. Oh, and bad things come in fives."

He gives Calenethir a smirk as he returns to his desk in his wagon, waving away the two elf-kin.

Meanwhile, Ienroyl is sputtering with tiny rage. "Let's just forget we ever saw each other or those hell-blasted elven berks. I certainly just want to forget, but if you continue to push me perhaps I won't be able to. Just let me and Wil's boys leave and set out for Birchtown or Slatetine."

loopy
2008-10-24, 07:18 AM
Tenet

Tenet stays close to Quill. "Now, I know this fight didn't go down like we planned", he mumbles, "But we aren't going to be able to keep outrunning the Formati and the Cresents if we antagonise this lot."

Tenet stands warily, ready to back up his old friend if hostilities start once more.

frogman55
2008-10-24, 09:00 AM
Fine, fine, fine. Jerik mumbles to himself before finally dropping the halfling. Get gone then, you folk. And you, Ionroyl, if I ever see you again, I may have to do something mean to you. Jerik turns and picks up the longbow and a bunch of arrows left by the fallen elf. I hate these things. Maybe Tasken is carrying some javelins or hand axes he would let me buy. Assuming of course that said longbow is usable. I counted 3 shots from the dead elf, so I'm gonna say quiver of 27 arrows?

Shades of Gray
2008-10-24, 04:06 PM
"We expect there might be a reward. This Valenethir fellow is pretty infamous. What should we do about the guard situation. We could ask one of these incapacitated bandits from the ice spell where the base is. But then we would have to either keep them unconscious, not the best plan, or we need to keep watch on them. "

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-24, 04:28 PM
(OOC: You mean Varenis?)

"Varenis?" Calen perks up a little, but prudently chooses not to divulge why that name piques his interest. "You mean Varenis is responsible for these bandit attacks? Heh heh...yeah sure, I'll help you guys track him down."

He turns back to Taskon, "How far is it to Slatine? You'll be fine without us...and we're still getting paid right?"

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-24, 04:37 PM
Equilibrium casts a quick cantrip (Ghost Sound) to whisper to Tenet so no-one could overhear.

"If we don't hunt these guys, then we'll have a third faction on our tails. As an added perk, if we do this, it becomes alot harder to track us, as nobody know where we are, save a few souls."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-24, 05:10 PM
OOC: Woops. I got your name and his mixed up.

"Right, Varenis. I don't need to know his name to stop him however."

frogman55
2008-10-24, 08:17 PM
Jerik turns his back on the halfling and moves towards Tenet and Quill, "I think we've finished here. It would probably be best to get the wagons moving as soon as possible, I'm not going to worry about that elf until I have to. For all we know his father will smack him for being rash and that will be the end of it.

loopy
2008-10-24, 09:29 PM
Tenet

"Well I'll follow your lead on this." Tenet whispers. "Just not sure its worth charging into a bandit camp."

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-25, 12:27 AM
"I personally don't think it's wise to go charging through a bandit camp either." Merenwen flippantly decides to be a part of this conversation. "But if you say it is in our best interest, then I will be glad to follow along."

Raz_Fox
2008-10-25, 01:50 PM
"Only a day left until we get to Slatetine, thank the gods. And if I remember correctly, your payment was getting to Slatetine with the caravan," Taskon says.

Meanwhile, Ienroyl scrambles up when Jerik lets go of him and runs off. Instead of heading towards the forest, he continues along the mountain until he disappears out of sight.

frogman55
2008-10-25, 01:51 PM
Jerik leaves the battlefield and heads back to the wagons. He waves to the other adventurers, getting them all together.

"As I see it, we have two options. We can either follow the elves and try to deal with any sort of vendetta on Verenis's part before it starts. Or we can continue to escort the wagons to Slateline as planned, and deal with any more attacks like we dealt with this one. However, whatever we do we should probably do together. If we were to split I doubt we could possibly deal with any further troubles.

"Varenis likely had nothing to do with the attack--according to the halfling his sons were simply abusing their local status when we came along. It's not uncommon for nobles around here to, ah, augment their fortunes with bandit attacks, but it isn't Varenis' style, either. Unfortunately, he is all too likely to want some sort of revenge or reparation for killing his other son, and whatever story the survivor brings back will just make it worse.

"If Varenis wants blood, then dealing with him in his manor is likely suicide-If it comes to a fight, I think we'll have a much better chance in the open, even if he ambushes us."

"If we can get to Slateline, we can likely get more prepared for dealing with the elf than we are now, anyway. So I think we should continue with the wagons."

Sorry about the speech, I have arbitrarily and unilaterally decided that it is time to advance the plot. :smallbiggrin:

@Raz: Am I correct in understanding that the halfling ran back the way we came?

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-25, 02:21 PM
"The elf you killed was Varenis' son?" Calen gives a sideway glance to the drow. "Hahahaha...well good riddance at any rate."

He spare a moment to keep chuckling to himself, almost cruelly. "Well, the good news if you've only got the one option now - continue on to Slatetine and get paid. Because there's no way in the hells that you'll run that elf twit down now. The bad news is, every thug, lowlife and two-bit bounty hunter in the Nantir is going to be after the lot of you now."

He found this far too amusing and was still grinning.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-25, 02:26 PM
"Well, had we just run after the guy in the first place, like I suggested..."
Equilibrium lets the sentance hang in the air.
He sighs and looks at the deck.
"I'm tired of having so many people activly seeking my neck."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-25, 02:36 PM
"Yeah, don't worry, you couldn't have caught him anyway. Not even if he was out in the open and damn sure not in his forest."

He nudges his bandana up and over his right ear - it wasn't readily apparent that he was an elf. (His build, clothing, demeanor and the fact that he obscured the tops of his ears with a bandana would lead most anyone who's not familiar with the region to believe he was human). "Trust me..."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-25, 03:12 PM
"I distinctly recall YOU helping me during the fight. The elf saw all of us, they'll be after YOU as well. Doesn't help that you are a gray elf either. I could have marked him with my darkfire, and I would have If I'd known he was the son of this Varenis fellow. Slatepine is OUR best bet for leaving this situation with heads on our necks."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-25, 03:34 PM
Smarmily, "Varenis already wants me dead, so I'm no worse off than when we started. This guy's a lunatic, he hates us Grays, but I'm the one who shot up half his company last time we met. Fortunately, he can't want me dead-er, get me?"

((Nature check to see what I know about Drow [roll0]))

"And Drow Darkfire only lasts a few seconds, how could that possibly have helped us track him?"

Shades of Gray
2008-10-25, 03:39 PM
"Enough time for us to gang up on him. Between my blasts, your bullets, and the wizards spells, we could have got him"

frogman55
2008-10-25, 04:24 PM
"Lay off you two, this isn't helping any. He got away. We were all there, we all let him go, the blame is on all of us.

"Lets just get to Slateline, and see what happens then."

If he puts a bounty on us, we're all in trouble. Not a one of us in the bunch has any real hope of disguising his identity.

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-25, 05:43 PM
"I am in agreement that heading to Slateline as soon as possible would be the best course of action." Merenwen seemed to have thought this over thoroughly. "I don't think we're strong enough yet to take on the big guys, nor are we fully up to par from that last fight. I think that a good rest would be in order."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-25, 08:07 PM
Calen rolls his eyes a little then glances at Jerik; rather in disbelief that he'd just been chided. Oh well, he couldn't expect the other races to share his people's sophisticated but decidedly macabre sense of humor. This whole situation was one big existential joke and he was rather enjoying it. One enemy is as good as another, and the Nantir was swarming with all sorts of things that would kill anyone on a whim. Further, no good deed goes unpunished. This was no different than any other time some lowlifes were dispatched; there were always consequences.

"I apologize, Elven humor does not always translate well. I wasn't accusing anyone of anything." Indeed, it was hard to tell if he was being sincere or scathingly sardonic.

A glance between Aedrus and Merenwen (he speaks in Elven) "How do they ever get anything done in this bastardized language?"

And back to Common, "Come, the caravan will leave us behind if we don't get moving. Free Elven lessons for whomever I get to ride. with." He smiles genuinely.

((I think we're all set here Raz. On to Slatetine?))

Shades of Gray
2008-10-25, 08:22 PM
Sorry for the delay Taskon. We're ready to head out.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-25, 08:53 PM
The night passes without any further incident. There is no one on the road to Slatetine the next day - surprising, seeing as Slatetine is a major trading town of the Nantir.

Barely a mile from Slatetine, the caravan is halted by several warriors in the garb of the Slatetine Watch. Taskon speaks with them for several minutes.

Young Der raps on your wagon door a few minutes later and breathlessly says, "Taskon wants you now. I think it's really important. He didn't say anything else, but he looked very angry after talking with those soldiers."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-25, 09:44 PM
"What seems to be the holdup?"

Aedrus exits, his clutching his shoulder,

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-25, 10:33 PM
Calen was in the middle of making a painful attempt to explain a joke about a dyslexic drow with insomnia to his companions that didn't speak Elven...he was almost grateful for the respite. Silently, he follows Aedrus out and goes to see what the holdup is.

Stays up at night wondering about the existence of Th'lol...that's funny.

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-25, 10:36 PM
Merenwen chuckles at Calen's remark, and replies in Elven. "I suppose they manage somehow."

As the next day dawns, she wakes to the sound of rapping at their door and that Taskon wanted them. Questions swam through her head, but she was sure that at least some would soon be answered.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-25, 11:34 PM
'Quill, who had been decidedly ignoring the poor elf-joke, shut his spellbook heavily.
It was fortnate that he wasn't in the middle of testing out some Arcane Theory or another.

As he stands, the book casually flies on its own into his pack in the corner.
As he begins to exit the wagon, his quarterstaff flie over to meet him and is solidly in his hand by the time he descends from the wagon.

"Just what seem to be the problem? Its a city, you can't scout a city."

loopy
2008-10-26, 12:08 AM
Tenet

"I think you are forgetting the infamous pub crawl of the Wavetorn Docks, 'Quill." Tenet chuckles as he follows the rest to see what the commotion is.

frogman55
2008-10-27, 10:39 AM
"Oh well, lets see what he wants."

Manthus
2008-10-27, 03:53 PM
Dorian

Dorian was surprised to see the lead wagon halt. He pulled on Elminster's reigns and hopped out of his wagon. Walking quickly towards the front of the caravan, staff in hand, he wondered what Taskon had stopped for. Seeing the rest of the group heading to the front for all the same reasons, he taps the elf with the gun on the back, "Do you know whats happening at the front? My name is Dorian by the way."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-27, 04:12 PM
One might take Calen for a jumpy character; the sort who when roused from his sleep greets you with a drawn weapon. No, he might appear absented minded and withdrawn, but his attention was almost always on the present and his surroundings.

"Calenethir" he mutters lightly, then remembers his manners, turns and extends his hand (Gray Elves had adopted the Human tradition of clasping at the wrist in salutations). "Calen or Lieutenant will suffice. It appears the local guard is giving Taskon a hard time...I wonder why..."

Only a little, Calen had his suspicions. 'Contraband' came to mind.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-27, 04:35 PM
When you arrive at his wagon, Taskon is ranting about the foolishness of counts and humans. "Lars just had to finally provoke them enough to get them to arm themselves, that half-witted excuse for a Count of Slatetine! If he keeps it up he'll awaken the dragon Fernixos and bring ruin on half of the Nantir! As if he hasn't already angered the other half beyond reason!

He calms and takes several deep breaths before turning to the assembled vagabonds before him.

"Count Lars of Slatetine, blast his eyes, tried to drive out the kobold tribes in the mountains south of Slatetine a few too many times. There are now at least seven kobold tribes armed to the teeth entrenched outside Slatetine, with drakes and groups of sellswords bought with kobold gold, as well as a young dragon if rumors are to be believed; the Slatetine Guard are spread thin enough warning travelers away from Slatetine. This caravan should have been in Slatetine weeks ago, if we hadn't gotten caught by the snowstorms up north. I need you to find a way to get this caravan into Slatetine in one piece.

I understand this is far beyond the call of your duty, and as such I will pay you handsomely if you can get us into Slatetine. I will also give you what resources are at my command, if you need them."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-27, 04:54 PM
Finally, something that might require his skill! He beams, albeit in a cold way with cruel intentions.

"I can hit a goblin between the eyes at 300 feet...I presume kobolds die from head wounds just the same. Just point me to a roost and you'll have as many dead monsters as I have bullets. But...I find that my definition of "handsomely" does not always match up with someone else's definition. If you could give me some numbers and denominations...I might be moved to action."

((What race is Taskon by the way?))

((Calen exaggerates only slightly. The maximum range on his revolver is 40 square thanks to his Distance enchant...which is between 200 and 282 feet thanks to 4E's wonky diagonal rules.))

frogman55
2008-10-27, 05:02 PM
"You said the Kobolds had mercs with them? Maybe we could just pretend to be supplying the tribes--It won't hold up long, but the farther through we get without fighting, the better of we'll be. If we'r
e lucky, maybe we will only have to run the last stretch to the gates.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-27, 05:24 PM
Calen turns to the tiefling. "Even if we make it past their outlying units we just have to "run the last bit" hm? That sounds far more dangerous than taking these monsters out with guerilla tactics."

Back to Taskon "500 gold...I'll go snipe and you'll have more dead bodies than you care to count."

Dwayna_DF07
2008-10-27, 07:07 PM
"Kobolds, drakes, sell swords, and a possible young dragon, eh?" Merenwen pondered this all over in her head. "They block our way to Slateline, you say? I will be happy to slay any of those that oppose us. For Kord and country!" With that, she raises her longsword into the air to glint in the sun (unless it's cloudy of course).

Shades of Gray
2008-10-27, 08:24 PM
"Dramatic one aren't you?"

"I'll stay and help."

frogman55
2008-10-28, 02:33 PM
"Well I think we all agree that flat out attacking the Kobolds is suicide." Jerik frowns thoughtfully, "I can't help but think that trying to draw them off would end up the same. How many bullets do you have, anyway? 7 tribes are out there, plus their mercs and drakes."

"No matter what our tactics are, I don't think we can kill more than a fraction of them--and we still wouldn't have gotten the wagons through. Unless there is some sort of hidden route into the city, we're going to end up running the siege."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-28, 04:02 PM
"One hundred and fifty four." He pats the leather pouches on his belt that housed his ammunition. Thankfully, even the sizable rounds that his revolver required were very compact compared to arrows or bolts and didn't take up much room on his person.

"How far do you think we'll get anyway? They're savages, not morons - they'll call us to a stop and check what we're carrying long before we reach the city gates. And as I see it, they don't have much incentive to leave us alive to take the wagons anywhere. Besides, all it takes is one trench, one log in the road and we're dead in the water."

Sly grin, "And I don't believe Taskon would be keen on risking his cargo...whatever he's hauling that's this high risk must be worth its weight in gold."

Shifty glance at Taskon, "Why don't you clue us in to what "resources" are available? If you're smuggling a Nethirilian Gattling Gun, now's the time to 'fess up."

Manthus
2008-10-28, 04:27 PM
"This is very odd." He pauses, "The bandits yesterday, and now this. It feels like a series of misfortunes, all pointed towards us. Ask Ienroyl if he knows anything about this." Dorian seems annoyed. "Kobold tribes don't usually fight alongside other tribes. There has to be something leading them. Maybe the rumors of a dragon are true. If this is the case, the situation is much worse then it seems." Dorian leans against the wagon and looks up at the sky. He lets out a sigh and pulls up his hood.

frogman55
2008-10-28, 04:55 PM
"Ummm, We let Ienroyl and the others go yesterday."

Raz_Fox
2008-10-28, 05:47 PM
Taskon looks uncomfortable. "I have no contraband items in my caravan. However, there are those in my caravan who have special skills or gifts that might be able to help.

As for why this caravan needs to be in Slatetine soon - I have several perishable goods that were aquired before we left Zinabar. They are in danger of being ruined, and I had some bought before we arrived here by an old friend I'd hate very much to dissapoint. Not the romantic answer I'm sure you would have liked, but it will have to suffice.

Perhaps the sniping would work, but you would have to find a vantage point away from the caravan and..."

Taskon lets his sentance trail off, then his dark eyes gleam.

"What if we combined your plans? You could provide a distraction while we pretend to be hauling supplies for the mercenaries. You are brave and resourceful, I've seen that much. It is a lot more likely that you seven would be able to slip into Slatetine after providing the distraction then it would for us to try to get into Slatetine altogether.

And, if you could find a weakness in the deployment of the kobold tribes, then you could tell Count Lars and help the idiot lift the siege."

For Dorian and Aedrus only:
You two get the feeling that there's more to Taskon's "perishable goods" than he is telling you. He was much too relieved when he moved the conversation onwards. Also, he placed a strange inflection on the word "friend."

frogman55
2008-10-28, 06:04 PM
Well, Lieutenant Calenthir, you probably have the best eyes and the best feet of us, would you like to go ahead and find the best place to send the wagons through with a distraction?

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-28, 06:06 PM
Calen is getting visibly annoyed with Taskon's games and is about a stone's throw from telling him where he can put his goods, perishable or otherwise.

"No one is doing anything until I hear the word "gold" after a number with a lot of zeros! I don't give a goblin's ass about you or what you're hauling..."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-28, 06:15 PM
Aedrus whispers to him.

"Of course he'll pay a lot Calen, he already promised that.

The range of my abilties is Low, compared to Calen's."

frogman55
2008-10-28, 06:28 PM
"Besides, if he welches, we can always just take it off him later." Jerik smiles cheerfully at Taskon, chuckling as he says this, making it difficult to determine how serious the Tiefling is being, "We might not be able to find you later, I'm sure you've got a couple tricks up your sleeve, but I doubt you could hide those wagons!"

Raz_Fox
2008-10-28, 06:30 PM
All the irritation and anger Taskon was showing moments ago returns, and he snaps at Calenethir, "You must have me confused with one of the rich merchant princes of Nethril. Out here in the Nantir, gold has more value. I have told you already that I will pay you, but you ungrateful mercenary will not keep me at my word. If you help me get into Slatetine and if you survive I will pay you five hundred gold crowns, damn your eyes.

Does anyone else wish to demand anything? My life's blood, perhaps? Or if that is not rich enough, would the hoard of the Dragon Fernixos and the treasury of the Storm King suffice?"

Taskon takes a deep, shuddering breath and glares at Calenethir with his ebony eyes, before sweeping his gaze across the rest of the ragtag group.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-28, 06:36 PM
"Nothing else special for me."

Aedrus takes his rod, spins it and puts it back into his belt.

frogman55
2008-10-28, 06:38 PM
Graciously: "Nothing would please me so much as a lock of your lustrous hair. Such a token from such a prince would be the most wonderful reward. But alas! Should you reward me so, the rest would be jealous, and I must be content with the paltry sum you have offered."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-28, 06:52 PM
"Aah, he can be taught. Honestly, how does anyone get anything done in this country? All I wanted was a number to go with my 'handsome reward', is that so hard? Fah! If it were up to the rest of you, we'd still be saying 'good morning'!"

Curtness and succinctness were virtues in Gray Elf society. It was considered rude to waste time with pleasantries and flowery language when gold was on the line. Nethrilian merchants weren't known to haggle, let alone wish you a good day unless and until you'd made a purchase.

"Five hundred is what I asked for. I'll scout the area and report back."

Without waiting for confirmation or assistance Calen vanishes into the countryside as swift and silent as any of his woodland kin.

((A few stealth checks to speed things along...
[roll0]
[roll1] ))

Shades of Gray
2008-10-28, 07:45 PM
"I'll follow as well...

I'm not useful up close, I'll just have to pick a closer vantage point."

OOC:

Activating my utility for a +5 on stealth.

Taking Ten if allowed. If not, I'll roll in the OOC thread.

Total of: 18. Hopefully Calen can advice me up to 20.

I also have concealment due to shadow walk.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-28, 09:43 PM
There is a ridge not a mile to the northeast. From there, Calen and Aedrus can see the valley below.

Slatetine is a thriving town built at the base of the great mountain Orsengard. However, this means that Slatetine is laughably easy to besiege. The besieging camp stretches for over three miles in a half-circle around Slatetine. There is a no-man's land between the two that is covered in deeply dug trenches.

There are three roads that converge onto Slatetine - the western road, which you have been traveling on; the eastern road that leads towards the Storm King's realm and the realm of Baren Varenis, and the southern road. Along the southern road now, another band of sellswords marches towards Slatetine.

Many flags fly over the camps in garish shades of green, red and black. Stylistic talons and fangs often adorn these. It slowly dawns to you that a kobold tribe must be made of over a thousand kobolds.

As for getting down into the vale? Though the southern road is bleak and bare, the northern roads are covered in woods and brush, with rolling ridges and knolls. It would be possible, though by no means easy, to get down into the camps without being noticed.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-28, 10:44 PM
Calen keeps an eye out for any glaring tactical advantages while he's assessing the area...a steep, straight incline where we could fell trees and send the timbers rolling down on the camps...a patch of loose rock that might do the same...any high spot to serve as a bunker.

How many does the mercenary band number?

Reconnaissance complete he returns quickly to the others and recounts all he saw.

To Taskon "I can get you in, no problem. As for your wagons? Not with a hundred rifles and supporting nines could I clear a swath through their forces...running this "blockade" would be suicide."

If there is, by some miracle, a significant tactical exploit on the field, he inquires as to the strength and composition of the Count's troops. If not, he supposes Taskon can just sit on it.

(By "nines" he means a sort of cannon.)

((And a Perception check to examine the layout of the area for said exploits? [roll0]))

((And a map of the area, even a doodle in Paint would be amazing :smallbiggrin: ))

frogman55
2008-10-29, 09:07 AM
After hearing Calenthir's report, Jerik turns to Taskon, "Not to be demanding, but you wouldn't have any extra horses, would you? Remounts and such? I have the feeling that we are going to need to move very far very quickly. If we have to decoy a chunk of that army off of a road and then break through ourselves, a bit of extra speed would be useful."

ooc: If Taskon hems & haws:
"Of course you could take the cost of the horse out of the payment you offered me, that would be perfectly fair. Or if absolutely necessary, I could always return it to you afterward."

Raz_Fox
2008-10-29, 09:54 PM
The mercenary band coming down the road numbers easily a hundred men and twelve carts.

There is a tactical advantage - a bare, high spot as the mountain begins its ascent. From there, the camps are easily acessable by ranged attack and hard to reach by ground troops. However, it drops down into woods and brush, making it hard to shoot any approaching troops. Furthermore, it is hard to acess Slatetine from that position.

A second tactical advantage would be the long lengthwise trenches running along the camps. With your superior elven vision, you can see messengers and servants running along the trenches while soldiers run across the trenches on hastily constructed plank bridges. It would be easy to sneak along one of the trenches - but getting into one would be another thing indeed.

Taskon blinks and looks at Jerik hastily when he speaks. "My apologies, I was thinking about something. I would certainly allow you to take one of Nalip's horses on the trail - it's the least I can do to help."

When Calenethir comes up with his discouraging news, Taskon frowns. "Alright. If I can get in with Beren and Zanos, I can leave Nalip in charge of the caravan until the siege lifts. Could you get the three of us into Slatetine tonight?"

Shades of Gray
2008-10-29, 09:58 PM
"Darn fast elf."

Aedrus continues scouting, knowing full well he couldn't find Calen even if he tried. He wracks his memory for any knowledge about any stories he's heard about Slateline. Battles. Seceret Entrances.

Stealth: 18
[toll=KnowHistory]1d20+8

Shades of Gray
2008-10-29, 10:00 PM
[roll0]

Aedrus recalls a myth about Slateline, and how using tunnels. The slaves of the Storm King escaped captivity. However he does not know whether this is true or not, nor where they could be.

OOC: Woops, said "toll" instead of "roll"

frogman55
2008-10-29, 10:09 PM
The way onto that bare spot on the mountain is narrow, and that brush would offer fantastic cover. We may have trouble shooting into it, but so would they. Dwayna and I could likely hold that route for a long time indeed, against Kobolds. With Tenet backing us up, we would be nearly impossible to dislodge. And think of the havoc the rest of you could do to their camp." Jerik smiles, clearly visualizing what the wizards could do. "Taskon, once we stirred the ant farm a bit, could you get into one of those trenches? A wily Shadar Kai like yourself should be fully capable of getting through a deep cut in the earth like those."

"Twilight may be the best time for this--long shadows in the trenches, and if we can just hold until darkness, it would be easy for us to retreat up and along the mountainside, especially if we take the time to pick our route away now."

"What do the rest of you say? Dwayna, it may be dangerous for us, holding the line like that. I'm sure it will just be plain fun, for the rest of you."

Shades of Gray
2008-10-29, 10:15 PM
Aedrus returns from scouting.

"War's never fun, but it will be easy."

Aedrus leans on his quarterstaff.

"Shaman, then worker, then mercenary, now I'm a soldier, what next? Festival Clown?"

As he says this he is clutching his necklace, made from bone, coloured beads, and feathers.

frogman55
2008-10-29, 10:17 PM
Jerik laughs happily at Aedrus' remark, "I have an orange and blue shirt in my bags, if it would help."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-30, 02:40 AM
Calen folds his arms and nods at the plan - this was sensible. "I'll go with a group to hold the high ground; that's exactly how we deal with goblin war bands back home. I'll need the artillery with me - I mean the Wizards. With their help, we can hold that position for hours. Maybe one more volunteer? The rest of you should go with Taskon on to Slatetine. We'll catch up after we've had our fun."

Gray Elf tactics to the letter: entrench a superior position, bring the big guns, ensure the price of overrunning the position if more than any could pay. Even goblins thought better of spending 100 warriors just to root out a bunker with 5 elves.

Brush didn't concern him...when in doubt, use fire. Dorian could torch any cover for 200 feet around the position while Calen and the others in the group fortify the makeshift 'bunker' with a stones. After they improved their defenses it would be a simple matter to distract the troops while the second group makes a run across the trenches.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-30, 06:50 AM
"I'll come with you Calen."

frogman55
2008-10-30, 02:06 PM
Well, I suppose that Taskon could use muscle inside that trench, so either way.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-30, 03:51 PM
A hint of bemusement as he turns to Jerik, "I'm afraid your talents would be sidelined when defending a bunker. You, Merenwen and Tenet can see Taskon safely across the trenches; you'll have plenty of opportunity for melee combat there."

He gestures to the ridge. "The rest of us will head up there, clear some of the brush and set up our defenses. We'll serve as a distraction while the rest of you dart across to Slatetine - and hopefully put a dent in the enemy forces."

"Taskon, if the Count can spare a few sharp shooters to accompany us, we'll be able to entrench and hold that position indefinitely. Our presence should give his infantry an opening at that Eastern flank...after we've cut down a few waves. Actually, if the Count can make an attack on the east after we've caused our diversion, that'll give the lot of us time to slip through to Slatetine and we won't have to split up...that is, of course, if you can wait another day to get into the city. Hmmm...after we're gone, the Count might be able to install a balista on that site."

"Either way, we could do with some provisions...shovels and potions come to mind. Though if you have any Alchemical Fire, that would certainly come in handy."

Warfare in rugged terrain? Yes...the Lieutenant had some experience.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-30, 05:25 PM
Taskon nods. "Shovels we have aplenty. Potions - those are rarer. Alchemical fire? Alas, I have none, but I know where you could find some in Slatetine.

And as for slipping in as Lars makes his attack - there remains the problem of getting word to him in the first place. I thank you for your assistance, Jerik. You would be a worthy companion, whatever we do."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-30, 05:48 PM
'Quill has been amusing himself the entire time by attempting to craft illusonary ice-castles.

Quill's player has been on a Fable II binge. Sorry.

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-30, 06:32 PM
"Fine, fine...let's have some shovels and a mattock and we'll be on our way. You'll know when the fun starts, you can make a break across the trenches after we've got their attention. After you get to Slatetine you can send some of the Count's troops to evacuate us. We can probably manage to get out ourselves, but we might need some help."

He checks the rounds in his revolver like a nervous habit, then looks back up at the group. "Any objections?"

frogman55
2008-10-30, 06:52 PM
Take Merenwen -- Even the best artillery needs some support. Taskon, we'll sneak into just inside their perimeter. As soon as we're through, though, we'll move into the open, bold as crows. Let me do the talking, Taskon unless you speak draconic; If I look scary enough the Kobolds shouldn't think twice about me-which is why I love em. We'll move briskly through the camp away from the diversion, calling for reinforcements the whole way.

Adjusting straps on his armor, he looks to Dorian. "I'll need favor, friend. As soon we're inside, I need you to light me on fire, if you can. A few good scorch marks will prove what side I'm on, far as the kobolds are concerned. When we reach the far end of the siege fortifications, I'll leave a lit sunrod there-at that hill," Jerik points to an outcropping with a haphazard rock wall across it. "When we I light that sunrod, it means that we got through, and it's time for you to pull out. It should be twilight by then, so you should be able to see it."

Grimaces, suddenly, "Taskon, you wouldn't have any tricks to help me get past those first sentries, would you? How much can you carry when you shadow jump?"

Raz_Fox
2008-10-30, 07:07 PM
"Only the clothes on my back, the dagger at my belt and whatever is in my coat. However, I believe I can carry some tricks in that coat."

frogman55
2008-10-30, 07:14 PM
"Well, If we can time things right, I really only need to be right up with any sentries. Besides, what comes, comes. All I can do is have fun at it."

Nefarion Xid
2008-10-30, 11:20 PM
"We'll be fine" He puts his hands on his hips and looks Merenwen up and down. "Besides, if Taskon doesn't reach the city alive, no one gets paid. You and Jerik can keep him in one piece, right?"
His eyes shift back towards the ridge. "All right, if you can burn thing with your mind, you're with me...same goes for you, Iceman. Let's head out."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-31, 12:18 AM
'Quill drops the ice-castle illusions and picks his staff up so the base is no longer resting against the dirt.
"You're the man with the plan," he states simpls as he twists the impliment into an odd, behind-the-back carry.
"Lead the way."

Dwayna_DF07
2008-11-01, 02:44 PM
"I shall defend Taskon with my life." Merenwen addresses Calen in a bold tone. "For you to get paid, and for me to gain honor." She smiles confidently. "Anyone who stands against me will perish beneath my sword."

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-02, 01:02 PM
Calen folds his arms and looks to the north west. Home wasn't too far away, even if he couldn't see it over the mountains surrounding the valley.

In Elven, "For honor I'll serve my people. For gold I'll serve any heathen. I would not concern yourself with 'honor' when dealing with these people. I'll sell my skill with a gun, not my pride, not my dignity."

((By 'honor' he means a distinct sort of Elven honor more akin to "noble dignity" than "obligation" like other races might interpret it. By heathen he means not to be so harsh...more of a mix of Layman+Sophomoric+Unsophisticated.))

He cuts his eyes over to Taskon, having no reason to suspect a wily trader like him doesn't speak Elven. "Don't worry, I hold you in the highest regard. You speak the language of Gold, after all."

Back to Common, "Let's move out. Two of you grab a shovel." He waves Aedrus, 'Quill and Dorian on, then goes to the wagons to riffle through Taskon's supplies until he finds a mattock and a pair of shovels

frogman55
2008-11-03, 02:03 PM
To Taskon, as the others set off with shovels in hand. "We'd best be on our way, it won't take Calen and the other long to get some rough trenches built, and we need to be near the sentries as soon as they're ready."

Thanatos 51-50
2008-11-03, 02:09 PM
With a quick wave of his hand, a shovel flies through the air and smacks into his empty hand.

Raz_Fox
2008-11-03, 02:16 PM
Taskon and his companions are ready to go by dusk with Jerik and his band. Beren is the caravan's blacksmith, a mountain of a man with a huge bristling beard; Zenos is the caravan's odd-job man, handsome and silver-tongued. Both wear black, with dark hooded cloaks. Beren carries a great axe on his back, and Zenos has a slim sword at his belt. Taskon carries no weapon but his aura of authority.
"If you are ready, I will allow you to lead the way."

Meanwhile, on the ridge, everything is quiet. At least until dusk, when a small Kobold patrol can be heard hacking through the underbrush noisily. They quarrel amongst themselves, and it is unlikely that you will be heard. However, one of them can be seen sniffing the air with a curious expression.

Dwayna_DF07
2008-11-03, 04:04 PM
"You make a good point, Calen." Merenwen seemed to be mulling the words over in her head, before continuing. "Then what I wish to gain is respect in the eyes of my General." That was more solid, and probably the most honest remark out of her yet.

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-03, 05:14 PM
*En route to the ridge*

Spotting the kobold band ahead Calen signals "Halt" and then "Down", indicating for his trailing companions to hide themselves and remain silent. After everyone's begun to stow away he counts the enemies and signals their number back to his teammates. He'll watch and wait, keeping eyes peeled on the kobold sniffing the air...still debating whether to cut them down swiftly or to let them pass and carry on with the mission.

((Stealth Check: [roll0]. Use Crucial Advice to grant anyone a reroll with a +2 bonus for Stealth if they make a check under 15))

His lips twist in to sort of a cruel grin. He would gesture for everyone to ready their weapons but...they were arcanists, so that'd be rather moot.

Edit: ((I'll take this chance to mark their leader (or anyone that looks like a caster) as my Quarry))

Shades of Gray
2008-11-03, 06:56 PM
Aedrus steps back ten feet.

:I can only keep the the shadows well for about 5 seconds, We should make our move, if we are attacking, now.

OOC:

Taking ten on my stealth check. Total of 18 until end of next turn. Also have concealment.

If I can't take ten on my stealth check: [roll0]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-11-04, 03:21 AM
Equilibrium drops to the deck and slides the shovel he grabbed under his belly, while he manuevers the staff into as close to a ready position as he could muster.
With a quick waggle of his fingers, he carries a Ghost Sound Whisper over to their gunslinging leader "Are we going to blast them or let them be?"

Taking TEN for a fourteen OR:
[roll0]

loopy
2008-11-04, 06:32 AM
Tenet

Tenet waits for orders, staying as silent as possible and moving into a good position for observation.

OOC Sorry guys, my computer blew up, just got a new one today. I'm a tad behind.

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-04, 12:36 PM
((Tenet's with Jerik, Merenwen and Taskon unless he decided to tag along on his own volition.))

Calen turns his head sharply and gestures, with a palm up to 'Quill, - wait. Then with a two fingered jab to the left he shows 'Quill a better hiding place.

((Crucial Advice - Reroll your stealth check with an added +2 bonus))

Fingers to his eyes, point to the kobolds, palm thrust down over the revolver on his hip - watch, don't attack (yet).

Thanatos 51-50
2008-11-04, 01:19 PM
Equilibrum nods at the finger jab and sends another Ghost sound Whisper.
"I see it - I'm on it."

[roll0]
((Hrm, Maybe I should take Skill training: Stealth instead of Leather Armour Prof...))

frogman55
2008-11-04, 01:29 PM
Jerik leads ahead of the others and approaches the edge of the Kobold camp. He's looking for a good position to wait for the distraction on the ridge to start.

Dwayna_DF07
2008-11-05, 08:53 PM
Merenwen does her best to hide...

Dwayna_DF07
2008-11-05, 08:56 PM
Having failed the first time, Merenwen decides to try taking advice from Calen to lay low...

((Yep... these dice hate me...))

frogman55
2008-11-05, 09:40 PM
ooc: Calen is probably to far away to give an assist, though I believe Taskon probably could.

As soon as something happens on the ridge, Jerik will simply walk up to the nearest group of Kobolds, and order them, in Draconic, to go deal with the attackers above. He is planning on relying on Kobold's somewhat non-confrontational nature and hopes that they will simply automatically follow the orders of someone who looks like they are in charge.

Jerik barks loudly in Draconic, knowing the kobolds have already seen Merenwen, and hoping that the others on the ridge can hear him as well: <You there! Quit standing around gawking! Get up there, enemies are on that ridge, and I even believe that there is a gray elf with them. If they get dug in we'll never get them out. Go now! I'll send more reinforcements as I find them.>
rolld20+9[/roll] for intimidation check: If Dorian remembers to shoot Jerik with a scorching blast or similar I hope it will give me a decent bonus to my attempt.

frogman55
2008-11-05, 09:43 PM
argh! sorry
See above:
[roll0]

Raz_Fox
2008-11-05, 10:08 PM
The sniffing kobold suddenly yells out to his companions, "I smell elf! Elf!" The kobolds stare murderously up the slope, and start charging. The kobolds down in the camp hear Jerik and their companion's triumphant cries, and start to grab spears and crossbows. "You 'eard the bossman, get movin' and we'll kill some elves!"

01| | | | | | | | | |R| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
02| | | | | | | | |Q|R| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
03| | | | | | | |R|R|R| | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
04| | | | | | |D|R| | | | | |s| | |T| | | | | | | | | |
05|R|A|C| |M|R|R|R| | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
06| |R|R|R|R| | | | | |s| |s| | |T| | | | | | | | | | |
07| | | | | | | | | | | | |s| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
08| | | |T| | | | |T| |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
09| | | | |T| | | | | | | |T| | | |T|T| | | | | | | | |
10| | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | |
11| | | | | | |T| | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
12| | | |T| | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
13| | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
14| | | | | |T| |T| |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | |T| | |T| |T| |T|T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | |
17| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |T|T| | | | | | | | |
18| | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | |
19| | | | |T| |T| | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
20| | | |T| | | | | | | |T| | |T| | | | | | | | | | | |
21| | | | | |d| |T| | |T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
22| | | |T| | | | | |d| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | |
23| | |T| |m|m|m|T| | |T| |T|T| |T| | | |c| | | | | | |
24| | | | | |T|m| | | |m| |m| | | | | | | |c| | | | | |
25|t| | |m| |m|m| |m| | | | |T| |m| | | | | | | | | | |
26|N|J| | | | | | |m|m| | |m|m| |m| | | | | | | | | | |

m = Minion, c = Crossbowmen, s = Skirmishers, d = Dragonshields.
Heroes are as follows: J=Jerik, C=Calenethir, N=Tenet, D=Dorian, Q=Quill, A=Aedrus, M=Morenwen, t=Taskon&Co.
Terrain: R = ridge, difficult terrain and cover. T = tree, impassable terrain and cover.

Minions have AC 16, Fort 12, Ref 14 and Will 12. 1 hp.
Skirmishers have AC 16, Fort 12, Ref 15 and Will 14. 35 hp.
Crossbowmen have AC 14, Fort 13, Ref 15 and Will 13. 30 hp.
Dragonshields have AC 18, Fort 14, Ref 13 and Will 13. 36 hp.

frogman55
2008-11-05, 11:50 PM
Jerik grins at the others, and says quietly in common, "There. Move boldly and quickly. If we act as though we belong no one will wonder who we are." He sets off towards the nearest gate of Slateline, the last bit of setting sun shining off his armor.

ooc: some questions: Wasn't Merenwen with me headed for Slateline? Did the ridge group manage their ditches well enough for cover? And roughly how far is it to the other side of camp (I'm going to assume we can cover roughly 100 feet per round, so knowing how far it is to get the rest of the way into Slateline will let us know how long the artillery need to hold out)?

Also, Jerik is going to attempt to work a similar strategy as I cross the camp. I'm happy to rely on passives unless something different comes up. If he sees anyone who looks like they give orders more than they take them, he'll let Tenet do the talking.

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-06, 12:44 AM
Smell...elf? Calens' going to have his skull for an ashtray...and take up smoking just for the occasion. He levels his gun at the yelling kobold, but spots a small problem that needs to be dealt with - humans scaly jerks with crossbows.

"Come and get it, vermin!" he shouts to the kobold leader before turning his revolver to the crossbowmen and opening fire.

((Split the Tree (Two attacks at +10, take the best and apply it to both targets), targeting the two crossbow men (hahaha I can't believe I have LOS on these guys - sucks to be them). Claiming Prime Shot bonus, Jerik is closer, but he's not hostile to the kobolds.))

[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage T-23
[roll2]
Damage U-24
[roll3]

((Stay tuned for an action point and a possible Elven Accuracy))

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-06, 12:52 AM
((Scratch that - they both crit! And I got the damage wrong anyway, it's 2d10+6

Crossbow 1 takes 26 Damage
Crossbow 2 takes 26 Damage))

Not wanting his wounded friends to scamper off to cover he fires off two more hasty shots to take them down...

((Action Point, Twin Strike))

[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage 1
[roll2]
Damage 2
[roll3]

(T-23 bites it. U-24 is at 1 HP......arrg...)

Shades of Gray
2008-11-06, 05:16 PM
"The shadow lurking in all men... I curse you and your foolish kin. Spiteful Glamor!"

Minor Action. Cursing the closest skirmisher.
Standard Action: Casting Spiteful Glamor at the cursed skirmisher.
Move Action: Moving to (I,1)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thanatos 51-50
2008-11-06, 05:23 PM
'Quill, all to ready for this, lets his eyes glaze over their token icy blue when spellcasting, as his hands move seemingly on their own, a graceful, swift, efficent spell casting.
"Raven Queen take you."
Twin arctic rays sprang forth from his outstreached staff, striking a pair of nearby skrimirshers.
Action Point for an extra action to spellcast. Ray of Frost both times - Versus Fortitude, of course. I only have line of sight on N04 and K06.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Anybody hit is slowed until the start of my next turn.

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-06, 06:55 PM
01| | | | | | | | |A|R| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
02| | | | | | | | |Q|R| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
04| | | | | | |D|R| | | | | |s| | |T| | | | | | | | | |
05|R| |C| |M|R|R|R| | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07| | | | | | | | | | | | |s| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | |T| | |T| |T| |T|T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | |
17| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |T|T| | | | | | | | |
18| | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | |
19| | | | |T| |T| | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
21| | | | | |d| |T| | |T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
22| | | |T| | | | | |d| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | |
23| | |T| |m|m|m|T| | |T| |T|T| |T| | | | | | | | | | |
24| | | | | |T|m| | | |m| |m| | | | | | | |c| | | | | |
25|t| | |m| |m|m| |m| | | | |T| |m| | | | | | | | | | |
26|N|J| | | | | | |m|m| | |m|m| |m| | | | | | | | | | |

Heroes are as follows: J=Jerik, C=Calenethir, N=Tenet, D=Dorian, Q=Quill, A=Aedrus, M=Morenwen, t=Taskon&Co.

Terrain: R = ridge, difficult terrain and cover. T = tree, impassable terrain and cover.

Round Summary: Calen kills a crossbow-kobold. Remaining crossbow at 1 HP.
Aedrus blasts Skirmisher 1 (red) for 17 damage.
Quill ices the wounded kobold for 8 more damage. Skirmisher 1 at 10/35 HP.

Raz_Fox
2008-11-12, 07:19 PM
The kobold minions move to C17, E15, F15, F17, J15, J16, J17, I17, I18, I19, L16, O16, M18, N18, P17 and P18.
The Dragonshields move to F15 and K17.
The remaining crossbowman moves to O18.
Skirmishers scramble up to J2, G5 and H5. Wounded Skirmisher moves to J1.

Skirmishers attack Celethenthir twice, Dorian once and Aedrus once.

C-attack1: [roll0]
C-attack2: [roll1]
D-attack: [roll2]
A-attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

Both Calenethir and Aedrus are speared for eight points of damage. However, the kobold attacking Dorian slashes his spearhead across Dorian's throat and then stabbes the wizard through the gut. Dorian falls to the ground, blood spilling from his wounds.

Shades of Gray
2008-11-12, 08:46 PM
Aedrus winces as he feels sharp stinging pain.

"Vile beasts, feel the sting of my curse!"

Move Action: H2
Minor: Curse J2
Standard: Cursebite Encounter power. Targeting J1 and J2 Skirmishers.

"Healthy" Skirmisher

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

"Wounded" Skirmisher.

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

EDIT: Darkspiral Aura to 1 point.

Shades of Gray
2008-11-12, 08:59 PM
Dorian

Move: Shift North.
Standard: Force Orb targeted at H5

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-12, 10:11 PM
((Someone has gotta update the map and tell me how much damage I've taken - I'm up to my eyeballs in research until the weekend.))

Shades of Gray
2008-11-12, 10:30 PM
((You've taken 8 damage. I can't update the map personally))

Shades of Gray
2008-11-14, 11:02 AM
02| | | | | | |A| |Q|s| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
04| | | | | | |D|R| | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
05|R| |C| |M|s|s|R| | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15| | | | |m|d| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | |T|m| |T| |T|m|T|T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | |
17| | |m| | | | | |m|m|d| | | | |m|T|T| | | | | | | | |
18| | | | | | |T| |m| | | |m|m|c|m| | |T| | | | | | | |
19| | | | |T| |T| |m|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
21| | | | | | | |T| | |T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
22| | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | |
23| | |T| | | | |T| | |T| |T|T| |T| | | | | | | | | | |
24| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
25|t| | | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | |
26|N|J| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Updated Map.

frogman55
2008-11-14, 02:40 PM
ooc: Taskon, Tenet, Jerik & co. have now made it approximately fifty feet through the camp. 450 feet to go. (2 moves a round for Jerik is 10 squares, or fifty feet, and if it is going to take us 10 turns through the camp, thats five hundred feet).

Moving through the camp, Jerik keeps a careful look out, and surreptitiously tries to examine the kobolds he sees at the various campsites within the seige lines.

Nature check [roll0]

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-14, 03:40 PM
((Shades - can you take the map out of the quote box? I can't copy it from your post when it's quoted))

Shades of Gray
2008-11-14, 11:03 PM
02| | | | | | |A| |Q|s| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
04| | | | | | |D|R| | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
05|R| |C| |M|s|s|R| | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
07| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
15| | | | |m|d| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| | | |T|m| |T| |T|m|T|T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | |
17| | |m| | | | | |m|m|d| | | | |m|T|T| | | | | | | | |
18| | | | | | |T| |m| | | |m|m|c|m| | |T| | | | | | | |
19| | | | |T| |T| |m|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
21| | | | | | | |T| | |T| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | |
22| | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | |
23| | |T| | | | |T| | |T| |T|T| |T| | | | | | | | | | |
24| | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
25| | | | | | | | | | | | | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | |
26| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Here ya go.

frogman55
2008-11-14, 11:29 PM
ooc: N, J, & t are long gone and off the map.

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-15, 02:48 AM
((It doesn't look like I'm in range to be attacked by any of the skirmishers. Raz, can you double check this situation and give us an OKed map?))

Shades of Gray
2008-11-15, 12:28 PM
((I believe kobold skirmishers have javelins if I'm not mistaken))

Raz_Fox
2008-11-17, 10:47 PM
OOC: Kobold skirmishers have spears. And they scrambled upon the rampart you shoveled. I'll give them -2 Reflex since they're scrambling upon the rampart. Get 'em. Who hasn't gone yet?

Jerik, you are sure that those green and red markings on a camp of kobolds mean that they don't wash enough. The brown and yellow markings on another camp, you are certain...

There are some things better left unsaid.

frogman55
2008-11-17, 11:00 PM
Having totally failed to recognize anything important about the kobolds themselves, Jerik contents himself with simply marking where mercenaries are camped.

ooc: I believe that only Shades has taken a turn - or rather Aedrus and Dorian have taken turns. And Jerik and Tenet are not particularly involved either.

Nefarion Xid
2008-11-19, 11:52 AM
Calen moves to C-3 and rattles off his two remaining bullets at the Skirmish in F-5 (Twin Strike). Mark F-5 as my quarry.

F-5
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

[roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Quarry damage [roll4]

Calen: 22/30 HP, AC 18, Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 13