PDA

View Full Version : (DnD 3.5 FR) A question of Fringes

Carrot
2008-10-19, 08:42 PM
Alrighty, I came across, through some twists and turns and the inevitable yet still unexpected tangents, a question that for various reasons must be answered--mainly, I'm afraid it might come up in my next game. With that long winded and barely comprehensible introduction, I give to you my question:

In the Faerun setting, what would happen if the Spell Fire wielder were to be cut off from the weave by Mystra? Could the wielder possibly draw off of the Shadow Weave to become something horrible and new? Is it possible that they are too intrinsically tied to the weave and can't be cut off?

I realize, as there (as far as I have been able to find) isn't a clear answer to this question available through the cannon sources, that it is a quandary ultimately left to the discretion of the DM. But, as the adage goes, two heads are better than one, and without wanting to tip my hand to my gaming group, I was hoping to find some ideas here. Has anyone done this before? Is there a source I've missed? I'd appreciate any and all answers.

Morty
2008-10-20, 08:07 AM
I don't think there's a definite answer in the canon, but I don't have my FRCS at hand. Personally, I'd allow it, since it's an interesting idea with lots of potential. And I don't think anything prevents Mystra from cutting off a spellfire wielder from the Weave.

bosssmiley
2008-10-20, 10:02 AM
In the Faerun setting, what would happen if the Spell Fire wielder were to be cut off from the weave by Mystra?

Semi-facetious answer: 4E. The poor schmuck would probably get a faceful of the whole Red Curse Dragonmark spellscarred/-plague mess that's blown up recently.

DM hat on answer: You'd have a level-0/racial HD human with a hasbeen's claim to fame ("I could've been a contender.") and a BIG enemies list. Time to learn magic the proper way for you. :smallamused:

Realmslore answer: wasn't there a Pet of Mystra who was cut off from their Spellfire cheese in one of the FR novels? They went over to the Zhents or Shar IIRC.