PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmech d20

Callos_DeTerran
2008-10-20, 05:27 PM
This is a very simple thread which only needs two questions answered.

1) Is it worth the money to buy?

and

2) What books would you need to run the mechs by themselves effectively and efficiently with as many options as possible?

Of course if you want to relay any personal stories relating dragonmech, go right ahead as long as at least one of the above two questions are answered. I'm mainly trying to figure out if it'd be better to use the Doomstrider's from Bastion Press or Dragonmech...mech's in a campaign I'm working on for RL.

Waspinator
2008-10-20, 07:33 PM
Personally, I like Dragonmech and I think there's plenty of options "out of the box" for it to work, though of course like always the other books are nice.

If you want it cheap or to look at a preview, I suggest you look here:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1202&it=1

Ascension
2008-10-20, 08:13 PM
I don't have Dragonmech, but I can vouch for the quality of Doom Striders. It's a nice book. The organization isn't the best in a few places, and it's hard to determine the difficulty of a man vs. Strider encounter since it doesn't really give advice for determining CR beyond "more money means it's better," but it's a nice book.

I once made a gnome BBEG who controlled a group of rather dumb hill giants by interacting with them using a doom strider disguised as a cloud giant. :smallbiggrin:

Waspinator
2008-10-20, 11:46 PM
And I have Dragonmech, but no Doom Striders, so it's again hard to compare.

Smeggedoff
2008-10-21, 05:07 AM
well since I picked the book up for £2.99 I'd say it was worth grabbing

unfortunately my copy's about 200 miles away right now so I couldn't answer your second question.
looks good though, my DM wouldn't let me have one :smallfrown:

Xallace
2008-10-21, 08:47 AM
Dragonmech's worth getting. Definitely.

You can run mechs perfectly well right from the campaign setting book. There's plenty of options for mech designs and player feats. Mech Manual has more models, but they're mostly pretty silly, barring a couple here and there (the orcs have Mechagodzilla, it turns out).

Waspinator
2008-10-21, 12:32 PM
A quick run-down of the Dragonmech books:

Main Book: Get this one first, of course.
Shardsfall Quest: A neat intro adventure, but optional if you just make one up yourself (like any other adventure).
Mech Manual: As has been said, just gives you more mechs and options. Cool, but there's still a good number in the core book.
2nd Age of Walkers: Nice to flesh out the main area of the setting, but optional mechanics-wise.
Steam Warriors: Has some cool non-mech player stuff.
The Last City: Again, nice to flesh out the setting and if you want to run an urban environment, but optional mechanics-wise.
Almanac of the Endless Traders: Again again, nice to flesh out the setting, but optional mechanics-wise.

If I were going to rank them, I would of course get the main book first. Then probably either Mech Manual or Steam Warriors, then the other of the two. Finally, any of the the others depending on what part of the setting you want more information on.

Waspinator
2008-10-21, 08:10 PM
And holy slag, I didn't notice the Orcish MechaGodzilla. Neat.

And another plus of Dragonmech is the sheer variety of mechs. You've got steam powered, clockwork, muscle-powered, magically animated trees, undead, and probably others I'm not recalling at the moment.