PDA

View Full Version : Rage and Animal Companion

ocato
2008-10-20, 08:03 PM
So, I have an NPC I like to use who doesn't have a very firm set of stats. I know what abilities he has, but I don't have a concrete build for him. I'm aware that as a DM it's my privilege to do stuff like that, but it also bugs me. It kind of bugs me a lot. Especially because I like the character and may try to use him as a PC one day.

The character is a Goliath Barbarian/Ranger mix, having both a powerful animal companion (a dire badger for flavor reasons) and a big two handed weapon. The two of them tend to rage in unison and are meant to be seen as anything but push-overs. So my question is how do I create this character to Rage and have an animal companion that has good progression.

First I thought something simple: Barbarian 1/Ranger X. However, the ranger's animal companion is kind of so-so by itself, and diluting that with a barbarian level doesn't really make this an appealing choice.

Then I thought of the Prestige Ranger: Barbarian 4/Druid 1/ Prestige Ranger X. However that means I have to pay three feats (endurance, track, and either rapid shot or TWF) to get into the Prestige Ranger, and I don't even want to use two weapons or a bow. I'd get pretty weak druid casting at the cost of 1 Base Attack, a bunch of abilities I don't want, and CL-4 animal companion progression. Natural Bond makes that CL-1, but it's a bit of hoping around to get a bunch of stuff I don't necessarily need.

So then I thought Barbarian 5/Beast master 10. Beast master has full base attack, plenty of pretty bonuses that fit the flavor of the Barbarian who is closer to nature like scent and speak with animals, and none of that Ranger crap I didn't want anyway. Barbarian 5 gives me 2 rages a day, improved uncanny dodge and trap sense. That's pretty much all I really needed from the Barbarian levels.

The problem? The main feature of the class is that it gives you 4 animal companions. Friendly with animals was part of the character, being a shepherd was not. I know I can just not take them, but that seems like a bad idea. I was thinking I could homebrew some sort of progression where instead of getting more weaker animal companions, I'd just improve the one I have. For example, at L6 (barbarian 5/beast master 1), I'd have an animal companion as a L4 druid (or, since I went Dire Badger, a L1 druid). At Beast Master L4 (ECL 9, not counting Goliath level), my main companion would be as a L4 druid (+3 beastmaster bonus, -3 for a second tier companion). Instead of getting a new animal companion at a -3 level penalty, I'd simply up my animal companion progression by 2. So now I'm ECL 9 and have an animal companion as if I were a L6 druid. At Beastmaster L7 (ECL 12), instead of getting another animal companion at a -6 level penalty, I'd add 2 levels to my existing animal companion. Now I'm ECL 12 and have an effective druid level of 11 for my companion. At beastmaster 10 (ECL 15), instead of getting another animal at a -9 level penalty, I'd just add 3 to my existing animal companion. So now I'm L15 and I have an animal companion of a L17 druid. Of course now I'm out of Beastmaster levels, so I'd go back to barbarian or find a new prestige class, and probably end up at L20 with the same companion of effective druid level 17. Natural bond would help a little in middle levels and mean that at L17+ my animal companion would follow me in levels up to 20.

If anyone has any ideas about how to do this better or would like to poke holes or promote one of the ideas presented, I'd really appreciate the help. Also if any feats, variant classes, or other neat tricks pop into your heads, please let me know. Thanks.

Keld Denar
2008-10-20, 08:11 PM
Looks pretty balanced to me. AC is not really a HUGE part of a druid past the first couple levels, and without spellcasting to really buff it, it'll be a supplimental class feature rather than a defining one. Some extra damage and some damage soak. You'll still have issues when you come up against DR/anything, especially since you don't have Magic Fang or Align Fang to work with.

If 2 rages isn't enough, you can always get 2 more with Extra Rage from CWarrior.

ocato
2008-10-20, 08:15 PM
Then I thought of the Prestige Ranger: Barbarian 4/Druid 1/ Prestige Ranger X. However that means I have to pay three feats (endurance, track, and either rapid shot or TWF) to get into the Prestige Ranger, and I don't even want to use two weapons or a bow. I'd get pretty weak druid casting at the cost of 1 Base Attack, a bunch of abilities I don't want, and CL-4 animal companion progression. Natural Bond makes that CL-1, but it's a bit of hoping around to get a bunch of stuff I don't necessarily need.

Actually, I'd forgotten about casting. That might prove to be fairly important, especially for balancing an animal companion. If I could find a way to make the feat cost a bit less steep, this might step up favorably as an option.

Paul H
2008-10-20, 08:39 PM
Hi

What about playing a straight Druid or Druid/Mstr Many Forms 2 (CAd) and use the Spell Compendium?

Druid 7/MMF 2

Cast Enhance Wild Shape (SpC 4th lvl spell) as you become Troll. Take Extraordinary abilities option. In combat cast Bite of Wereboar on you & Dire Badger, then next round cast Lion's Charge (SpC 3rd lvl swift spell) & charge for full attack.

Assuming Natural Spell & Natural Bond feats:

Troll (Bite of Wereboar cast)

Str 27 Dex 14 Con 29
+13 Nat Armour
Special Qualities, Spec Attacks, Extraordinary Abilities as Troll
Attack +13 Claw (x2) Dam D6+8
Attack +8 Bite Dam 2D6+4
Blind Fight
Rend 2D6+12

Don't forget your Dire Badger is now 7HD and gains Bite spell bonuses. And you were wearing Rhino Hide Armour for the extra 2D6 damage per hit on charging? :smallbiggrin:

Companion Spellbond (PHBII) allows you to share spells up to 30' with your animal companion. Also allows you to cast 'touch' spells on him at short range.
Animal Bond is Complete Adventurer.

Revert to Druid as you progress in levels, making use of more powerful 'Bite' spells from SpC, and the 'Heart' series from CM.

Cheers
Paul H

Paul H
2008-10-20, 08:49 PM
Hi

Of course there's Girallon's Blessing, also from SpC. You gain extra pair of arms for:
Attack +13 (x2) Dam D6+8 (Assuming Bite Wereboar)
Rend 2D6+12
Lasts for 10 mins/lvl.

So that's 4 x Claw attacks with Rend, plus Bite on a charge!

Cheers
Paul H

Rei_Jin
2008-10-20, 08:57 PM
I'd be more likely to give your druid Rage in place of Wild Shape. You wouldn't be able to cast spells, but it's not too different in terms of the idea of it

Wildshape = More powerful in combat

Rage = More powerful in combat

They just use a different method to accomplish the same thing. Now, I note that Wildshape lasts much longer, but thats part of the balance problem with Wildshape.

Give him +1 uses of Rage per 3 levels after 5, and give him Greater Rage and Tireless Rage at level 20.

Done.

Chineselegolas
2008-10-21, 08:46 AM
This (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1087118) might be of help for grabbing different classes abilities.

Too tired at the moment to try and work it out for you. Maybe someone else will be nice... It can get rather complex

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-22, 12:22 AM
Barbarian 1/Ranger X/Beastmaster 1 with the Natural Bond Feat. He has an AC level equal to .5x his Ranger level +7. Alternatively, reflavor Leadership, base it on HD and just advance the Badger until it is appropriate, playing a straight Barb.

SadisticFishing
2008-10-22, 01:10 AM
Alternatively, reflavor Leadership, base it on HD and just advance the Badger until it is appropriate, playing a straight Barb.

Isn't there a wild companion variant of Leadership hanging around somewhere?

*looks*

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

Yeah, that might do it. Barbarian + that. Note that I haven't actually read it fully, but it's actually from Wizards and is basically exactly what you're looking for, simplified.

Edit: I've read it and it seems like EXACTLY what you're looking for. Your animal companion will have 1 less HD, 1 less strength/dexterity, 1 less trick, and 1 less natural armor than a straight druid. Oh no.

BobVosh
2008-10-22, 01:27 AM
Barbarian x/Druid 1/Beastmaster1/Frenzy Beserker

With natural bond and beast master you are at level 7 animal companion. So take however many Barbarian levels it takes to get to frenzy, which you take until you get inspire frenzy. Frenzy up your badger. Ftw.

Teron
2008-10-22, 01:40 AM
According to WotC's feat index, Complete Adventurer has a feat that improves your animal companion and Races of the Wild has a couple of related feats as well (one of which, coincidentally, buffs your companion when you rage).

It almost goes without saying that there must be a fair bit of useful material in various issues of Dragon, as well.