PDA

View Full Version : Combination Weapons [3.x/4e]

LibraryOgre
2008-10-21, 09:35 AM
How do you handle combination weapons, such as the common battle-axe backed by a pick head (as opposed to double weapons, where the battle axe has a pick head on the other end, because someone failed basic physics)?

Fax Celestis
2008-10-21, 09:45 AM
In 3.x, I make it so you can attack with either end of the weapon (but not both in the same round). Usually they deal different types of damage--battle-axe does slashing, pick does piercing--and occasionally they have different threat ranges.

only1doug
2008-10-21, 09:48 AM
choose which half of the weapon to hit with, both halves have to be enchanted seperately but they both have to be made of the same material in one craft check. Material cost is for creating one weapon not two.

Exotic weapon proficiency: combination weapons
is required to wield or suffer nonproficiency penalties. (-4)
(and doesn't grant proficiency with the individual weapons)

silly combinations get a penalty to wield anyway:
bastardsword/maul? -4 in addition to EWP

combination weapons cannot count as light weapons unless you drop the damage another size category.

Eorran
2008-10-21, 10:11 AM
The simplest way to do it is to say the weapon deals either type of damage based on how it's held. Example: warhammers are typically built with a bill or spike on the back, so a warhammer would do bludgeoning or piercing damage. Some may do both types simultaneously, like a spiked flail.
I wouldn't change the crit range - the weapon is usually held almost exactly the same way, and uses the same motion to attack. I also wouldn't change the damage die, for a similar reason.

MartinHarper
2008-10-21, 11:14 AM
[4e] I pick the closest equivalent weapon in the PHB or Adventurer's Vault. There's no difference between bludgeoning and piercing, and damage is abstract anyway. The player can narrate which end they hit with.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-21, 11:34 AM
[4e] I pick the closest equivalent weapon in the PHB or Adventurer's Vault. There's no difference between bludgeoning and piercing, and damage is abstract anyway. The player can narrate which end they hit with.

This. Bonus points if the player chooses the end basing solely on how cool would the attack look like (narrativism>gamism>>>simulationism).

Matthew
2008-10-22, 02:05 PM
In 3.x, I make it so you can attack with either end of the weapon (but not both in the same round). Usually they deal different types of damage--battle-axe does slashing, pick does piercing--and occasionally they have different threat ranges.

This is also what I did for D20/3e. I was generally unhappy with the results, but it worked okay.