PDA

View Full Version : Learner Drivers itP

Arioch
2008-10-21, 12:00 PM
Well, I had my first driving lesson yesterday, and it went well, although I'm (not surprisingly) still very nervous. I'm having trouble keeping track of the other side of the car, but I think I'll get over that. :smalltongue:

I'm also revising for my driver's theory test, which seems fairly easy if you can remember all the signs.

Any other learner drivers, or people who passed their test recently, in the Playground? How do/did you find it? What's the procedure like in countries other than the UK?

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-21, 12:18 PM
trust me - the theory test is a piece of proverbial cake. Apart from things like road markings/signs and stopping distances, most of the questions are just commen sense. Get yourself a question and answer book (should set you back 15 quid?) and you'll soon find most questions are based off the premise of "whats the safest thing to do" - although they've had a habit of asking more questions about fuel efficiency in the last few years

as for your lessons, it will take time to build up your confidence, so don't worry. If your parents drive, get them to take you somewhere quiet (industrial estates are great from about 8pm onwards) so you can practice your basics and get you comfortable with travelling at normal speed. I had about 10 practice sessions with my mum and dad before i got any official lessons.

As for "the other side of the car" - make sure your mirrors are adjusted before the start of a lesson. Take your time and get things how YOU like them. You'll find even simple things like adjusting your chair properly will give you much better control (and feel more comfortable). And if everything is how you like it, then it will only help soothe those nerves further!

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-21, 12:23 PM
I have an expired learner's sitting in my wallet. I could probably pass the test if I took it, but I've never actually driven on a highway or anything.
Hopefully I'll get my license this winter.

CrazedGoblin
2008-10-21, 01:14 PM
i just did the Pass + thing today for my driving, 6 hours solid eurgh, saw some cool places though

Krrth
2008-10-21, 01:56 PM
While I got my license a while ago, let me share one useful piece of advice I salvaged after watching what happened to one of my cashiers: When taking the driving portion of the test.....
DON'T HIT THE DMV BUILDING!

Mr. Moon
2008-10-21, 07:28 PM
I've been sort of procrastinating on learning to drive. I've had the manual for a while now, but I haven't really gotten around to reading it. Not all the way through, any way. I know most of the signs, I guess.

That, and there's no way I could afford driving lessons, and Mom won't pay for them. :smallsigh:

wadledo
2008-10-21, 07:35 PM
I've been sort of procrastinating on learning to drive. I've had the manual for a while now, but I haven't really gotten around to reading it. Not all the way through, any way. I know most of the signs, I guess.

That, and there's no way I could afford driving lessons, and Mom won't pay for them. :smallsigh:

Ditto here.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-21, 07:36 PM
in the U.S. it's not very hard to pass the theory part.

Honestly, even if you haven't read the book, most questions are common sense.

Out of the 50 questions we have, probably only 5-10 are specific questions on which you actually either need to know the answer before hand, or have read it in the book.

I passed that with a 94 i think, and the driving part with a 96. :smallsmile:

So don't fret. Read the manual a few times through, and just make sure you know everything here and there.

Nohwl
2008-10-21, 07:45 PM
the first question i had on my permit test was what state was i taking the test in.(i live in the US.) i had driving lessons and the best part about them was that the guy showed me the course i would be driving on. knowing exactly what i was going to be doing got rid of a lot of nervousness.other than that, it was just more time to practice. when i was taking the test to get my licence, the guy walked me through parallel parking and that was the hardest part.

my brother just got his permit, i dont think he looked at the book at all.

ForzaFiori
2008-10-21, 08:38 PM
I've had my restricted license for a few months now, and i'm getting a waiver on it tomorrow. I found both the theory and practice tests extremely easy. My sister on the other hand, has failed the actual driving test 3 times now. I guess it depends both on who you are, and where you are (Each state (and country) has its own test)