PDA

View Full Version : Differentiating Durkon [Spoilers?]

mockingbyrd7
2008-10-21, 05:15 PM
Honestly, what is there that makes Durkon different from every single other generic dwarf?

Durkon's character is just sort of a dead-end. He's not a very "dynamic" character; i.e. one that changes drastically over the course of the story. He's just static, stable. The only character development he's gone through was in OotPCs, which I don't really count. He's just a Lawful Good Dwarven Cleric.

Can anyone think of anything that makes him a particularly unique character?

Mercenary Pen
2008-10-21, 05:17 PM
Isn't living in the dwarven homelands?

Lokasenna
2008-10-21, 05:22 PM
Former king of the bandits in the starmetal forest? Once helped dangle the Oracle out of a window?

LuisDantas
2008-10-21, 05:23 PM
I would say he is a blank slate, not a dead end.

B.I.T.T.
2008-10-21, 05:27 PM
Durkon doesn't need to be unique. That's what makes him unique.

Linkavitch
2008-10-21, 05:37 PM
Durkon is awesome. He's not as developed as the other characters, but that's just setting him up for more in the future.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-21, 06:13 PM
He's bald...His beard his beard his round and short, kinda like a giant 5 o'clock shadow. His skin tone is caramel-esque (or maybe burnt sienna)...the question we should be asking though is...

Does he LOOK like a b*tch?

Orzel
2008-10-21, 06:20 PM
I've been saying this for a long time.
Durkon is nothing more than a bald dwarven cleric of Thor who is serious about his job.

Warren Dew
2008-10-21, 06:23 PM
What's wrong with being stable?

B.I.T.T.
2008-10-21, 06:25 PM
He's bald...His beard his beard his round and short, kinda like a giant 5 o'clock shadow. His skin tone...the question we should be asking though is...

Does he LOOK like a b*tch?

*Doing his best "Brad" impersonation*:smalleek: What?

Deepkicker
2008-10-21, 06:28 PM
Honestly, what is there that makes Durkon different from every single other generic dwarf?

Durkon's character is just sort of a dead-end. He's not a very "dynamic" character; i.e. one that changes drastically over the course of the story. He's just static, stable. The only character development he's gone through was in OotPCs, which I don't really count. He's just a Lawful Good Dwarven Cleric.

Can anyone think of anything that makes him a particularly unique character?

Why not count 'On the Origin of Pcs'? It's a part of the story.

RTGoodman
2008-10-21, 06:29 PM
What's wrong with being stable?

Exactly. He's a Dwarf - the LAST thing he wants is to be "unique" or any of those other human attributes.

Salty
2008-10-21, 06:36 PM
He prefers letting others taking the spotlight, but contributes and is one of the most reliable members of the team. His nature prevents others from knowing what differentiates him from other dwarves.

cheesecake
2008-10-21, 07:04 PM
He was thrown out of his dwarven homeland?
He once was the leader of bandits?
He once drank from a huge solid gold stein?

chiasaur11
2008-10-21, 07:20 PM

Well, the last one is just living the dwarven dream.

He's just a tad luckier than most.

JT Jag
2008-10-21, 07:35 PM
Our Dwarves Are All The Same (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDwarvesAreAllTheSame).

itsmeyouidiot
2008-10-21, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that most dwarves don't have trees as their favored enemy...

I mean, jeez, whatever happened to orcs?

JT Jag
2008-10-21, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that most dwarves don't have trees as their favored enemy...

I mean, jeez, whatever happened to orcs?The orcs live on islands.

Dwarves live underground.

How are they even supposed to meet, much less fight?

Lunaya
2008-10-21, 07:58 PM
Well, he's on the quiet side. Wise without being pretentious. Kind-hearted but fierce when it comes to defending what's important. That's the best way I can describe Durkon.

Euron
2008-10-21, 09:01 PM
Our Dwarves Are All The Same (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDwarvesAreAllTheSame).

Let's not start this again, okay? Please?

mr.fizzypop
2008-10-21, 09:08 PM
He's the only dwarf in exsistance to be apart of the OotS?

But really durkons role is to make fun of dwarves. Any joke about dwarves usually contains durkon. Hes meerly the messenger to deliver all the dwarf related jokes to the reader.

eyeofsaulot
2008-10-21, 10:24 PM
Well, he's on the quiet side. Wise without being pretentious. Kind-hearted but fierce when it comes to defending what's important. That's the best way I can describe Durkon.

Perfect way to put it.

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-10-21, 10:54 PM
Dwarves can only be told apart by what's under the armor...darn, we need Hilgya again.

mikeejimbo
2008-10-21, 10:59 PM

Gah! Linking to TV Tropes should be against the law. It always uses up hours of my time.

JT Jag
2008-10-22, 12:39 AM
Gah! Linking to TV Tropes should be against the law. It always uses up hours of my time.TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife).

I'm sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that one.

JaxGaret
2008-10-22, 02:50 AM
TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife).

I'm sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that one.

Damn you.

Is it really bad when you go to that link, specifically, and then spend the next half an hour plus on tv tropes?

Jan Mattys
2008-10-22, 03:26 AM
Durkon doesn't need to be unique. That's what makes him unique.

Couldn't agree more.
He's just *happy* he can be just like any other Dwarf, and he's just *happy* he can be just like any other Thor cleric.

Durkon doesn't feel the need to be different from the prototypes of what he's supposed to be. He longs to adhere to those prototypes as much as he can, in order to consider himself worthy and proud of himself.

Revlid
2008-10-22, 03:28 AM
Damn you.

Is it really bad when you go to that link, specifically, and then spend the next half an hour plus on tv tropes?

Irony (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Irony) and Archive Binge (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArchiveBinge).

We can go all day.

hajo
2008-10-22, 03:49 AM
what is there that makes Durkon different from every single other generic dwarf?
He is a male cleric, and outside his homeland.
Assuming that at most 5% of all dwarves are clerics, and most of them will be working in their homelands.
So, Durkon and Hilgya might not be the only dwarven clerics on a trip, but that group is likely very small.

Nevrmore
2008-10-22, 04:41 AM
That's all circumstantial, though, it doesn't define him. You might as well say, "Oh, so-and-so is different from all the other dwarves because he once killed a kobold named Frank Koboldberg."

Laurentio II
2008-10-22, 07:13 AM
He brings an hammer and a shield that are family treasures (not rare, but not very common).
He has been profetized to never go back home alive.
He got laid in the last decade. Ok, Haley doesn't know, but maybe female sixth sense... and it's a very distinctive tract for a dwarf!

King of Nowhere
2008-10-22, 07:53 AM
What differentiates him is the lack of differentiating attributes. There aren't many people like that.

Kato
2008-10-22, 08:04 AM
Hm... I'll agree with those saying, his lack of unique attributes makes him so unique. He's just your average dwarf.
Though, of course he has his very own stories to tell since traveling with the order.

Belkster11
2008-10-22, 08:06 AM
Durkon fought Xykon (Or rather servants of Xykon)? Not many dwarves get to do that.

Falxo
2008-10-22, 08:15 AM
Argh... I lost half an hour by clicking on Our Dwarves Are All The Same (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDwarvesAreAllTheSame), then another by clicking on the links of people who responded to it... Truly, TV Tropes will ruin my life.