PDA

View Full Version : Dadafly play-test log

DracoDei
2008-10-21, 05:36 PM
Dadafly can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4079641&postcount=16). It is not my creation, but since it won a Vorpal Tribble monster creation contest, and I needed an encounter to introduce someone to MapTool...

Character in question was a 5th level tiefling without the Darkness or resistances Warblade with one racial hit-die of wereskunk (not terrible relevant, except that it gave him low light vision).

Mirage Arcana when created was of the smoke in the wake of a raging prairie fire... Not that by RAW it should have NECESSARILY survived the Iron Heart Surge... but RAW is agreed by the people I talked to to be overpowered in that case, and most people agreed it should be limited to things effecting the character rather than his environment...

Starting range was about 100 feet.

Summary: creature is over-powered against single opponents with poor will saves when played by a creative GM

DracoDei:
And yes, this monster really is a human-sized butterfly...
Julio:
heh
DracoDei:
It is still CR 6 and not NEARLY as silly as it sounds...
DracoDei:
No, it isn't one of mine...
Julio:
ah
Julio:
I'm trying to figure out where that icon is
Julio:
I only see one token
DracoDei:
Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out...
DracoDei:
And left click and drag to relocate...
DracoDei:
And I see you moving the dadafly around...
Julio:
I can get the hang of that
DracoDei:
To point to something for conversational purposes, make sure you have the map pane selected, and then put your mouse where you want to point and hold down the spacebar.
DracoDei:
This your first time PLAYING in maptool?
Julio:
apparently yes
DracoDei:
Well, the older versions looked a bit different, so....
DracoDei:
Anyway...
DracoDei:
Your character got any area of effect stuff OTHER than the secondary effects of his musk?
Julio:
hmm
Julio:
not at the moment
DracoDei:
But I see you found the area of effect marking system anyway...
Julio:
yea
DracoDei:
If nothing else is is halfway worth it for your splash weapons (Acid, Alchemists Fire, etc).
DracoDei:
The icon in the first set determines which sub-icons show up in the second set...
DracoDei:
first+first is token moving.
DracoDei:
first+2nd is for measureing...
DracoDei:
There is a drawing tool, but I am not sure that you are likely to need that any time soon...
DracoDei:
The last two items are the least likely that you will ever need...
DracoDei:
The last one is only if you end up building a structure of some sort...
DracoDei:
And the second to last is would only even theoretically come up if you were creating sight-blocking effects such as *Darkness* or *Fog Cloud*
Julio:
ah
DracoDei:
You can toggle the visibility of the grid on and off under the "view" menu option...
DracoDei:
And the globe icon in the upper right is for changing maps...
DracoDei:
But enough of this future frustration saving stuff...
DracoDei:
Let us get rid of your CURRENT frustration... Roll Initiative?
DracoDei:
Dadafly is to your southeast BTW...
Julio:
« 1d20+4 = 1 + 4 = 5 »
Julio:
ouch
Julio:
k
Julio:
so that's our distance?
DracoDei:
Yeah
Dadafly has received initiative.
Julio:
what's the butterfly's move?
* Dadafly flies up to 30' (it was already off the ground) and hovers there.
Zeo has received initiative.
* Julio seems to walk along in the distance casually, unaware of the butterfly in the distance whilest keeping his tail swaying from below. Though he did get his ears flicking whilest hearing some odd looking thing fluttering on. "...now what the heck is that noise?" rubbing a finger in his ear as he makes his walk.
DracoDei:
((
DracoDei:
No, you see it... and you know it is a threat... you are closing range without running (because you want to keep your dex bonus).
DracoDei:
))
DracoDei:
((Gotta look some stuff up... this is the monster I want... but it isn't the monster I THOUGHT it was... I IKNEW the one I thought it was was a dragonfly... but this is the winner fo the contest in question so...))
Julio:
lol
Julio:
find it yet?
DracoDei:
((Some of it...))
DracoDei:
((Make a will save))
Julio:
not good lol
Julio:
« 1d20+1 = 1 + 1 = 2 »
Julio:
the dice aren't working today is all
Julio:
so I won't be winning.
DracoDei:
Suddenly your are surrounded by thick black smoke, thick enough to turn day into night... fortunately it is the sort of night that your stinging eyes can handle, thanks to your unique heritages.
DracoDei:
But you still can't see very well at all...
* Julio just kept silent while seeing the darkness in the imagery. He kept standing there noticing, rather quiet at the most, and simply chuckling. "...sheesh...you really wanna pull THAT trick off?" he jested, unsure of what can be best understood of this darkness as he pulled his hand to his crossbow with a flick and sprang it in the air, twisting and catching it before keeping aim to watch for that beast whilest his stance goes on the defensive.
DracoDei:
((Held action to attack if it comes into sight?))
Julio:
((Right))
Julio:
free draw weapon, swift action stance to pearl of black doubt stance whilest in waiting to attack when enemy is in sight.
DracoDei:
((Roll a listen check))
Julio:
« 1d20 = 16 »
DracoDei:
You just got fireballed « 6d6 = 29 » Reflex save for half...
Julio:
« 1d20+5 = 4 + 5 = 9 »
* Julio saw the fireball coming on in before his body became blasted back into a shove of fire and bursting grinding him along the ground grabbing the floor and looking about. "...Disadvantage here..." He just spun the hand crossbow along and into the air before giving a loud thundering yell with a burst of demonic aura from his form. (iron heart surge.)
* Julio reaches back up grabbing the hand crossbow coming back down as he stood there watching the darkness's effects fading away.
DracoDei:
((remind me what that does again?))
Julio:
((stop an effect that currently bothers my character.))
Julio:
((so using it would dispell the darkness I believe.))
Julio:
((then give him a +2 atk against the beast that casted it.))
DracoDei:
((Mirage Arcana... doesn't effect you directly... so I don't KNOW that you can make it go away like that... would it work for that?))
Julio:
((lemme recheck the technique if I may))
DracoDei:
((Please do...))
Julio:
((your fighting spirit, dedication, and training allow you to overcome almost anything to defeat your enemies. When you use this maneuver, select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds. that effect ends immediately. You also surge with confidence and vengeance against your enemies, gaining a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls until the end of your next turn
Julio:
There is no specification of directly or indirectly
DracoDei:
((Going to assume that means directly only... since Mirage Arcana doesn't target individuals but rather an area...))
DracoDei:
((Darkness stays))
DracoDei:
((Any remaining actions?))
Julio:
((...))
Julio:
((What brings assumption directly?))
Julio:
((I have no sight or knowledge of backing up such an assumption.))
DracoDei:
((Well otherwise it would be an automatic dispel magic just for standing near a *Wall of Fire*... whereas this way it just gets rid of *Blindness*, *Bestow Curse*))
DracoDei:
((etc, etc))
Julio:
((Which mean he still can't see the beast?))
DracoDei:
((right))
Julio:
that's it
Julio:
'i'm out of ideas then
DracoDei:
((Yeah... creature is overpowered probably... fight over... this is why I said "semi-noncanonical"... beta tests can be deadly, especially in one on one...))