PDA

View Full Version : Sylph player character?

Smeggedoff
2008-10-22, 12:43 PM
I'm trying to work out the LA of a sylph using the savage species system but I've hit a snag

I can't figure out the ability adjustments for a Sylph from the MMII
the stats are Str 8, Dex 13, Con 8, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 17, but I can't figure out what the bases were (and thus the adjustments)
if someone could figure out the adjustments (or possibly tell/show me how to do it that would be great)

here's what I have figured out so far in addition
sylph
Feature LA
ability scores ??
Size -1 (small size)
NAB --
Speed +2 (fly, good or better)
Natural weapons --
Reach --
skills and feats --
spell like abilities +2 (casts as sorcerer higher than HD and has a spell like ability that a character equivalent to CR 5 couldn't cast)

so, so far it's LA+3 if I'm right, +1 if the stats are superior to normal.
sylphs also have 3 fey hit die, so do I assume I add this to the total making +7? (or +6 depending)
am I right in arriving at this conclusion?

thanks for any help

Adumbration
2008-10-22, 12:45 PM
The stats are:
-2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +4 Int, +6 Wis, +6 Cha.

They are derived by reducing the stat score by ten, and then if it's not an even number, reduce one.

Duke of URL
2008-10-22, 12:46 PM
so, so far it's LA+3 if I'm right, +1 if the stats are superior to normal.
It's pretty similar to Pixie, which is a +4.

sylphs also have 3 fey hit die, so do I assume I add this to the total making +7? (or +6 depending)
am I right in arriving at this conclusion?

thanks for any help

No, you don't add racial HD to LA, but anyone taking the race would need to have the 3 racial HD as part of their ECL.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-22, 12:48 PM
Monsters always use the 11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10 array. Your sylph's stat adjusts are Str -2, Dex +2, Con -2, Int +4, Wis +6, Cha +6, for a total modifier of +14.

Smeggedoff
2008-10-22, 01:17 PM
ah, marvelous. Thanks for all of your help :)

Zweanslord
2008-10-22, 03:11 PM
Officially, a Sylph has LA +5.
This can be found in page 10 of the Monster Manual II update to 3.5 pdf document, which can be found on the wizards site here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

Naturally, that may not stop you from deriving LA as per Savage Species, just putting it here so you know.

Smeggedoff
2008-10-22, 04:28 PM
while awesome (because my DM uses official errata over the books) that's horrible crushing because it requires and extra level :)

thanks for bringing it to my attention, it fills up an extra level I had in my proposed build anyway