PDA

View Full Version : Booze

An Enemy Spy
2008-10-22, 12:59 PM
Heres a rule that I made up when my friend wouldn't leave a tavern
Tired of your characters spending all there time at bars drinking. Well now you can punish them for it!

If they drink more mugs than their Con modifier, Take away 1 point of Dex Int Wis and Cha for each drink over the limit (these points come back in the morning. If they drink twice as much as thier Con modifier, They pass out and you can do funny things to them like having wake up in a dress in bed with a half orc
Tell me what you think

Lappy9000
2008-10-22, 02:17 PM
Do you happen to have the book Cityscape? It actually covers drunkenness in there. I'm pretty sure some other sources do as well.

An Enemy Spy
2008-10-22, 02:25 PM
Do you happen to have the book Cityscape? It actually covers drunkenness in there. I'm pretty sure some other sources do as well.

No I only have PHB DMG MM and MM2

Zeta Kai
2008-10-22, 02:31 PM

I don't remember seeing rules for drinking in there. Looks like I'll have to review my copy when I get home. Pray tell, Lappy, do you recall what page that is on?

That's one of my favorite books, BTW. If only it were longer...

KevLar
2008-10-22, 02:46 PM
A PC can safely consume a number of drinks per hour (a “drink” counts as a tankard of ale, a glass of wine, or a shot of the hard stuff) equal to one-half his Constitution score. One drink’s effects wear off in an hour. Whenever a character imbibes more than that limit, he must attempt a constitution check. The DC starts at 15 and increases by 1 per additional drink. PCs with saving throw bonuses against poison (such as dwarves) can apply them to this Constitution check.

Each failed Constitution check imposes a cumulative –1 penalty to Dexterity and Wisdom (but does not actually reduce those ability scores) and a cumulative –1 penalty on Constitution checks to avoid further inebriation. A character’s effective Dexterity and Wisdom can’t fall below 1 due to inebriation. The character’s actual Constitution score (and hit points) remains unchanged. A character passes out when the penalty on Constitution checks equals his Constitution score. He remains unconscious for 2d4 hours and is fatigued when he awakens, but the temporary penalties end.

Lappy9000
2008-10-22, 02:49 PM
I don't remember seeing rules for drinking in there. Looks like I'll have to review my copy when I get home. Pray tell, Lappy, do you recall what page that is on?

That's one of my favorite books, BTW. If only it were longer...

I know, it's an awesome book. I find it tough to run a city-crawler adventure without it.

Anyway, "Getting Drunk" is at the bottom of Pg. 44

The effects don't seem strong enough to me, but then again, the one getting drunk in my party was the orc barbarian who happened to be in rage at the time.

EDIT:

Ninja'd

An Enemy Spy
2008-10-22, 03:10 PM
How do you think my rules stack up to that?

Johel
2008-10-22, 03:20 PM
An idea for drinking contest in D&D :

The DM set a DR for the alcool. Let's say 8 for a beer.
Drink the beer
Make a fortitude test
If fail, -1 in Int, Sag or Cha
If succeed, you just have -1 for fortitude save versus alcool.
Have another beer
Make a fortitude test (with the -1 malus)
If fail, -1 in Int, Sag or Cha
If succeed, you just have another -1 for fortitude save versus alcool.
Never two without three...
Make a fortitude test (with the -2 malus)
...you know what's next, don't you ?

Cider DR 6
Light beer DR 8
Spiced Wine DR 10
Strong beer DR 10
Regular Wine DR 12
Dwarf beer DR 12
Elf Wine DR 12
Rhum DR 14
Whisky DR 16
"Suprise bottle" DR 20

Of course, the players can also REALLY chain-drink. In this case, as we know that dwarf-player are rarelly big drinker themselves, let say you get 1 "free" drink for every Const modif. That will even the odds. :smallwink:
First to puck, to sleep or unable to lift his drink loose.

chronoplasm
2008-10-22, 11:21 PM
I could see a drinking game being done as a skill challenge in 4E.
Perhaps the characters are watching a real hack-job of a play, and whenever the actress playing the part of 'Albinka' says 'gobknobs', you have to take a shot. I'm thinking...
Perception checks to notice when Albinka says 'gobknobs'.
Endurance checks when you take the shot.
Streetwise checks to heckle the actors.

Mewtarthio
2008-10-23, 12:20 AM
I could see a drinking game being done as a skill challenge in 4E.
Perhaps the characters are watching a real hack-job of a play, and whenever the actress playing the part of 'Albinka' says 'gobknobs', you have to take a shot. I'm thinking...
Perception checks to notice when Albinka says 'gobknobs'.
Endurance checks when you take the shot.
Streetwise checks to heckle the actors.

Sleight of Hand checks to use a Coward's Funnel (http://scarygoround.com/index.php?date=20080207)...

chronoplasm
2008-10-23, 11:23 AM
Sleight of Hand checks to use a Coward's Funnel (http://scarygoround.com/index.php?date=20080207)...

That would make an interesting treasure at the end of a dungeon.

"Okay, I beat the dragon. What do I get?"
"You find this magical item... it's called The Coward's Funnel."
"Cool. What does that do?"