PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything that works to soothe sore thorats?

Deathslayer7
2008-10-22, 01:32 PM
So yes. I'm sick and I was wondering if anyone knows any good way to soothe sore throats.

Right now I'm drinking hot tea with honey, and it feels like a god send.

Krrth
2008-10-22, 01:34 PM
Teas can be good. Gargeling salt water may not feel good, but it can help get ride of certain types of sore throats.

Other than that....some sprays or other over the counter medicines work wonders.

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-22, 01:37 PM
Listerine works for me.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-22, 01:38 PM
In terms of over the counter, I've found that Chloraseptic spray works very well. It tastes like a liquid beachball, but it works.

Tea with honey is usually my option of choice, but you are already rocking that.

streakster
2008-10-22, 01:39 PM
Tea, with honey (I favor chamomile.) is the best you can do, I think. BEst I ever found.

Cold-Eeze won't help your throat right away, but it makes the sick go away, at least for me.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-10-22, 01:40 PM
There's nothing really that works 100%. It's different for each person and in each case. Fisherman's Friend seems to work pretty well for me and a lot of people I know. So do Halls, but not as well.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-22, 01:42 PM
I haven't heard of Fishermen's Friends, but I assume it some type of cough drop.

And the Listerine idea made me laugh. I might try it though.

As to the saltwater, I done that before and it never seemed to help, always just inflamed it more.

Thufir
2008-10-22, 01:42 PM
To soothe, strepsils are pretty good, or a warm drink of something. To cure, the only thing I've found that works is waiting.

Castaras
2008-10-22, 01:43 PM
Strepsils and hot drinks are a god send for sore throats.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-22, 01:48 PM
thanks, but i got to go to school now. Might try some of the ideas when i get back. :smallsmile:

RTGoodman
2008-10-22, 01:51 PM
There's nothing really that works 100%. It's different for each person and in each case. Fisherman's Friend seems to work pretty well for me and a lot of people I know. So do Halls, but not as well.

Yeah, it might work, but those are also the NASTIEST thing I have EVER put in my mouth. I almost died when I tried one of those once. :smallyuk:

I usually just gargle warm salt water since I'm not a huge fan of most hot teas, but I think just drinking or gargling anything warm should work out for ya.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-10-22, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it might work, but those are also the NASTIEST thing I have EVER put in my mouth. I almost died when I tried one of those once. :smallyuk:
Really? They seem to taste pretty good to me. Although I do eat the nice lemony ones and not the *bleugh* original ones.

I usually just gargle warm salt water since I'm not a huge fan of most hot teas, but I think just drinking or gargling anything warm should work out for ya.
Salt then Listerine! :biggrin:

Tirian
2008-10-22, 01:57 PM
Hot tea (I prefer mint) with lemon and honey is the ticket for me. If it's really bad and you're of age, throw in a tablespoon of whiskey. Lozenges are also useful, especially if they have some zinc in them. I also like long hot showers and breathing in the steam.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-10-22, 02:02 PM
Hot showers are counter productive when you're sick.

Atomsized
2008-10-22, 02:10 PM
When I have a sore throat, I usually crush ginger, then put it in a cup. Pour hot water into the cup, and you've got....crushed ginger with hot water. Or tea. It usually helps to soothe the sore throat for a while, but when it starts to get annoying again, drink more :smalltongue:.

Although the ginger tastes strong, you can usually put honey it to make it sweeter.

Tirian
2008-10-22, 02:11 PM
What makes you say that? I find that few things loosen blocked sinuses or soothe sore throats like a wave of humidity.

valadil
2008-10-22, 02:12 PM
Teas can be good. Gargeling salt water may not feel good, but it can help get ride of certain types of sore throats.

Hot salty water helps take the swelling out of your throat. If you can't stand gargling it though, do what I do and eat a bowl of Ramen noodles instead. They're just as salty.

As far as medicines and lozenges go I find that original flavor Riccola works best for me. YMMV.

Calyx Asgard
2008-10-23, 12:32 AM
Ice cream usually does the trick for me.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-10-23, 04:56 AM
So yes. I'm sick and I was wondering if anyone knows any good way to soothe sore throats.

Well, I know how to cure the sickness problem :smallsmile:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j139/z-t/nurseavatar2.png

But as to sore throat I like flat lemonade *nods* I'm not sure it has any medical properties, but it helps soothe it a bit.

V *shifty look* Now how did I get rid of the first 6....

Deathslayer7
2008-10-23, 09:57 AM
@^:look at my name before you come a-calling. :smallamused: Technically you do fit into that category.

Anyway. I just been sticking to hot tea with honey and salt water. It seems to be doing the job well. :smallsmile:

Lady Katja
2008-10-23, 01:20 PM
I've found that ibuprofen, while it doesn't completely get rid of it, at least makes it bearable. It's an anti-inflammatory, so it takes down some of the swelling that accompanies a sore throat.

Otherwise, I usually drink hot tea or hot apple cider. :smallbiggrin:

Kcalehc
2008-10-23, 01:29 PM
Hot rum (the proper brown stuff, not girly white rum) and honey. If it doesn't cure it at least you can sleep well :)

LCR
2008-10-23, 02:00 PM
Ibuprofen, hot milk with honey, lots of sleeping and if it doesn't get better after two days, go see a doctor.

loves_to_laugh
2008-10-23, 02:53 PM
Sucrets.
http://www.wekenshop.com/images/60638.jpg
They aren't going to cure it but they numb the entire back half of the mouth and throat. But then again, that would involve going shopping.

Metal Head
2008-10-23, 03:47 PM
Ricola has always been good for the pain in my experience. Just be sure you don't use it too quickly. I once consumed an entire bag of them in an hour and go some nasty diarrhea.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-23, 03:54 PM
HONEY

it re-coats the throat, and its antiseptic

so your honey+lemon idea was right

Yarram
2008-10-23, 03:55 PM
I'm sick too. Try strepsils. They are a godsend. My strepsils are honey-lemon flavoured. =D yum!

EmeraldRose
2008-10-23, 07:08 PM
I usually go with tea with honey. Also good are lemon drops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_drops), or your favorite brand of throat lozenge.

If you are of age, another possiblity is mulled wine or mead. Spiced is good too...but it's the warmth that really helps.

Knaight
2008-10-23, 09:28 PM
Chamomile tea with lemon and honey in it. And a humidifier in the room.

Destichado
2008-10-24, 08:06 AM
You don't actually need the tea, but the heat will help, and honey will cure.

Honey has been used as a remedy for centuries, and though its mechanism is poorly understood (its guessed that an enzyme that creates hydrogen peroxide may have something to do with it) it's clearly demonstrated honey has antiseptic germicidal properties. So treat yourself to a few spoonfuls. :smallsmile:

Susil
2008-10-24, 01:21 PM
Hot tea (I prefer mint) with lemon and honey is the ticket for me. If it's really bad and you're of age, throw in a tablespoon of whiskey. Lozenges are also useful, especially if they have some zinc in them. I also like long hot showers and breathing in the steam.

Emphasis mine. :smallbiggrin:

Whisky cures most things, except perhaps heartbreak.

fraud
2008-10-24, 04:44 PM
I actually just learned this in science class (my 4th period) and I'm here typing in my computer class (7th period) so fate has entwined this for sure:smallbiggrin:
salt water helps sore throats, although I've never tried this, my friends say it tastes terrible but really helps:smallsmile:

MR.PIXIE
2008-10-24, 05:25 PM
Menthol cigeretts-
that is if you dont want it cured forever.

Zarrexaij
2008-10-24, 05:35 PM
I've always been a "hot lemon tea and honey" type of person.