PDA

View Full Version : Feather Fall underwater- another exercise in catgirl genocide

Studoku
2008-10-22, 06:13 PM
This was discussed in a d&d game a few days ago. We decided that it wouldn't work, although the whole thing was moot because I didn't have feather fall prepared.

The idea was that feather fall either:
A: Created an upward force on the target by an amount proportional to its mass
B: Reduced the density of the target
C: Increased the air resistance on the target

While these would slow a falling body, what would happen to a body that was in water? If the changes were similar, the object would end up with more upthrust than weight and float.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Innis Cabal
2008-10-22, 06:15 PM
Water Resitance would make falling damage moot -in- water. Have you ever let yourself...you know....sink?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-22, 06:17 PM
Why would you even NEED to cast feather fall underwater? Yo're not falling - you're sinking. The usual counter to that is swimming upward.

I'm a fan of the theory than feather fall simply reduces your downward velocity the same way expedious retreat enhcnaces your speed.

Arbitrarity
4: Produces a force directly opposite to gravity when the wizard (or other character(s)), relative to the earth, descends at a rate greater than or equal to 10 ft/second. This force is initially greater than gravity, and is equivalent when the wizard is falling at 10 ft/s

Studoku
It's not about the fall damage.

The plan was to make an underwater monster float to the surface so we could kill it.

Arbitrarity
2008-10-22, 06:29 PM
Try

If the spell is cast underwater (or while the subjects are partially or wholly submerged in whatever liquid they are in), the subjects are borne toward the surface at 60 feet per round until they can stand on it.

Name that spell!

Keld Denar
2008-10-22, 06:32 PM
Oh oh oh! Pick me Alex, pick me! What is Water Walking?

Beholder1995
2008-10-22, 06:33 PM
Er... what does this have to do with catgirls?... also, chances are I'm just missing a reference...

Pie Guy
2008-10-22, 06:34 PM
I actually did that once, and then I noticed that I didn't have Feather Fall as a spell, so next time I leveled up, I quietly checked it off.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-22, 06:49 PM
Er... what does this have to do with catgirls?... also, chances are I'm just missing a reference...
Every time real world physics is applied in Fantasy gaming, God kills a cat girl. Noted examples are the Commoner Rail Gun, and the world destroying Anti Osium bomb.

Lycan 01
2008-10-22, 06:56 PM
Wasn't there also one for Reverse Gravity on a Black Hole?

Me and my friends had one for Call of Cthulhu. What if a guy about to be eaten by Cthulhu carved an Elder Sign into his chest? :smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2008-10-22, 07:57 PM
Well according to wikipedia, the Deep ones worship Cthulhu, so I don't see what an Eldar Sign would do to Big C himself.

RebelRogue
2008-10-23, 06:40 AM
Well according to wikipedia, the Deep ones worship Cthulhu, so I don't see what an Eldar Sign would do to Big C himself.
Deep ones, not Elder things! Cthulhu is repelled by the Elder sign, at least in theory. My personal guess is, that he would say "yummy" and eat the measly human anyway...

Smeggedoff
2008-10-23, 08:14 AM
I'd suggest Buoyant Lifting from the spell compendium, but upon reading it it only works on friendly targets (and is a druid spell besides).
what a waste

Kurald Galain
2008-10-23, 08:54 AM
The plan was to make an underwater monster float to the surface so we could kill it.
I would suggest that yes, feathers float, but also, things that float can dive underwater if strong enough.

Me and my friends had one for Call of Cthulhu. What if a guy about to be eaten by Cthulhu carved an Elder Sign into his chest? :smallconfused:
He would go insane, of course. Is this a trick question?

vicente408
2008-10-23, 09:22 AM
The correct answer to anything regarding the Mythos is always "insanity," "madness," or "squamous mass of tentacles."

hamishspence
2008-10-23, 09:25 AM
A sort-of way of keeping swimming beasties on the surface was harpoons and barrels full of air, seen in Jaws, the book and the movie. Sufficiently large and formidable monster can overcome this for short periods.

Talya
2008-10-23, 09:27 AM
Wasn't there also one for Reverse Gravity on a Black Hole?

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

DigoDragon
2008-10-23, 09:59 AM
Feather Fall underwater? Well, some particularly dense objects can sink at a pretty decent speed and the sinking is still due to gravity. My opinion is to limit an object/person's sinking speed to whatever it's falling speed would be with a Feather Fall spell.

So a large rock (for example) would sink slowly.
Hmmm, could be useful for particularly dense creatures like Warforged. :smallamused:

**Casts Ressurection on any dead Catgirls**

hamishspence
2008-10-23, 10:02 AM
Sinking and doing damage on impact is in Stormwrack. Page 12. 4d6 damage. its a good idea to get out of sinking ships. Even if you can breathe water, if you are stuck in cabin or hold, you get damage when boat hits bottom.

Burley
2008-10-23, 11:28 AM
Okay. A feather, once under water, doesn't float. Paper, once put under water, sinks.
Feather Fall doesn't force a flying creature to fall, so it shouldn't force a swimming creature to float. In fact, the spell states that it doesn't affect flying creatures, only things caught in a free-fall.

Good Idea, but not possible.
Since there was no actual real-world physics involved, no catgirls were harmed in the making of this thread.

hamishspence
2008-10-23, 11:30 AM
boats sinking, are in a sort of free-fall. Illustrated by fact that it (I think) and definitely everything in it take damage on impact.

Not sure if Feather Fall works on objects. Doubt it.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-23, 12:15 PM
**Casts Ressurection on any dead Catgirls**

Catgirls are outsiders! They can't be raised from the dead!

RukiTanuki
2008-10-23, 12:52 PM
I'd view feather fall as affecting inertia, if anything. It increases the tendency of a body to remain at rest. (If you're already in excessive motion, it's crafted to increase the inertia of the air you're passing through.) As such, there's no real way to use it to make anything move faster.

ashmanonar
2008-10-23, 01:46 PM
Every time real world physics is applied in Fantasy gaming, God kills a cat girl. Noted examples are the Commoner Rail Gun, and the world destroying Anti Osium bomb.

Don't even mention the anti-osmium bomb! Sword-guy slew countless legions of cat-girls with that horrid creation.

Oslecamo
2008-10-23, 01:51 PM
Catgirls are outsiders! They can't be raised from the dead!

Actually, this hapened in the quite serious RPG Phantasy Star II. We begin the game with a catgirl as a party member, and

In the middle of the game she dies on an epic battle, and we can't ressurect her! WTF? We could bring her back from the dead just fine before that!

Lycan 01
2008-10-23, 02:01 PM
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

That seems to be a growing sentiment on this forum... :smallbiggrin:

But I didn't think of the Black Hole thing. Somebody else did - I just remembered that there were like... 3 threads on it, and the number of catgirls killed was quite tragic.

As for the Elder Sign, it hurts, weakens, or at least repels most Mythos beings. Specifically, it offers protections and warding from beasties like the Deep Ones and other servants or races tied to the Great Old Ones, and possibly the Outer Gods. Surely it would protect you from Cthulhu, or at least make him think twice before grabbing for you. Because if you were about to be eaten, and you carved it into your chest, he'd suddenly find himself with a rather large elder sign in his stomach. And that would probably not be fun for him...

At best, he might release you, since grasping you in his tentacles would be slightly uncomfortable. At worst... your torso will probably just be slightly difficult to digest.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-23, 02:09 PM
Don't even mention the anti-osmium bomb! Sword-guy slew countless legions of cat-girls with that horrid creation.
I know, the sheer beauty of it brought a tear to my eye. Does it only react with osmium, or is it like ordinary anti matter? I am thinking 'designing' an anti osmium/osmium powered Orion style craft.
[edit]
Got it, it's just anti matter. That does complicate things, but not much. Say an i air tight iron case covered in a thick layer of wax. In side is anti iron. Separating it from the walls of the bomb is small wall of force. When the spell is dismissed, the spring loaded iron plates on the inside, all at the a same time touch the anti iron. Can we say. . kaboom? The wax is the propellant, vaporised by the explosion, which pushes on a pusher plate and propels the craft forward.
Magic Anti Matter Orion!
Who needs Spell Jamming?

Beholder1995
2008-10-23, 03:13 PM

For the sake of pressing it a bit more, do you know why it's catgirls?

They're a PC race?? What book?? :smalleek:

Zeful
2008-10-23, 03:28 PM
For the sake of pressing it a bit more, do you know why it's catgirls?

They're a PC race?? What book?? :smalleek:

It was adapted from the "Every time you masturbate, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens." line. Just replace "masturbate" with "apply real-world physics to a fantasy story" and "kitten" with "catgirl". Then replace "fantasy story" with "Roleplaying game".

So in the end the line looks something like: "Every time you masturbate (apply real-world physics to a fantasy story [roleplaying game]), God kills a kitten (catgirl). Please, think of the kittens (catgirls)."

Beholder1995
2008-10-23, 03:29 PM
Uh... okay, then... >.>... <.<...

Suzuro
2008-10-23, 03:35 PM
Ah yes, I remember the reversing black hole...I was there....I saw the deaths...it involved casting Reverse Gravity on a black hole....of course, I think it was disproved because of Hawking radiation...

-Suzuro