PDA

View Full Version : Lock, please.

Mr. Moon
2008-10-22, 07:01 PM
No offence to any Chinese people here, I seem to recall one posting here a while ago, but someone on dA gave me the link to this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3dbBQPIFf0)
Since one of my favourite candies comes from China, yeah, this whole melanin scare is freaking me out... No more White Rabbits for me.

So yeah. Check the ingredients before you buy anything. I'm pretty sure here in Canada we've stopped buying food from China, but you can never be to careful. And parents, make sure to screen you're kid's Hallowe'en loot.

Never mind. :smallsigh:

First Speaker
2008-10-22, 07:09 PM
[citation needed]

Also:

- It's melamine, not melanin.

- Some pundit who makes dark hints as to the mainstream media 'just not caring about' the issue that they champion loses credibility.

- The affair hasn't really spread outside China, cf BBC: several countries have already placed bans on the import of such food, and there didn't seem to be any effects beforehand.

Mr. Moon
2008-10-22, 07:37 PM
Point 1 - My spell-checker disagrees with you, but what does it know.

Points 2 & 3 - Good points, but I still think it's best to get the word out. "Better safe than sorry" is a proverb that has served me well over these years. *shrugs*

Syka
2008-10-22, 08:07 PM
I've been keeping up with this whole fiasco through the Times.

Outside of Asia, the only major melamine tainted things are some edible sex toys sold in Britain (like undies and chocolate paint and such), and evidently don't actually have any sort of dangerous level of melamine. Most chocolates and such that did contain melamine in dangerous quantities were sold in Asia mainly. Most Western countries are OK for it and all. (Note: That is from what I remember.)

From what I understand, products which had milk products produced in China have been pulled, regardless. I mean, seriously...not all milk products come from China. Durr. He sounds like he's simply fearmongering.

Not too mention it's most of the children who got sick were infants who were fed tainted milk on a regular basis for months. It's not like they had one chocolate bar and suddenly got kidney stones or died.

People like him make me worry about the state of the world.

Cheers~

Mewtarthio
2008-10-22, 08:13 PM
Point 1 - My spell-checker disagrees with you, but what does it know.

As I recall, "melanin" is a pigment that darkens the skin and protects it from exposure to the sun.

Points 2 & 3 - Good points, but I still think it's best to get the word out. "Better safe than sorry" is a proverb that has served me well over these years. *shrugs*

"Better safe than sorry" would be to not go trick-or-treating at all. Seriously, every single year there's supposed to be some sort of horrible poison or razor blade or addictive drug inside those Halloween treats, and I've yet to see anything particularly bad happen. The only difference with this scare is that it demonizes Chinese manufacturers, whom Americans are already inclined to distrust.

Honestly, the timing is too perfect to be very plausible: A group of manufacturers that Americans tend to distrust poisoned a bunch of little kids at a time when Americans most suspected the Chinese government of covering things up, and then their products arrived on our soil just in time for the holiday that makes Americans most worried about poisoned candy?

Mr. Moon
2008-10-22, 09:09 PM
Ack. Teh rebuttals. They make my little mind go "Man I'm stupid". :smallsigh:

But anyway. Yeah. Good points all around. Thank you for pointing out how blind I am. Could a mod close this thread? It appears to have no point.

ocato
2008-10-22, 10:02 PM
Could a mod close this thread? It appears to have no point.

If somebody learned something, then it had a point.