PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the Breland Borderlands -- PBP

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-22, 07:02 PM
This thread will be used for PBP sessions inbetween "live" sessions.
[hr]

So far ... Einrich, Mewrik, and Qelster have reached "the keep". They were met with suspicion and they entered the keep. The company were informed about some goblin "trouble" in the area, and possibly the capture of a couple previously staying at the keep.

As the three have just placed their pack animals in the stables, they are now heading towards the inn for a good meal and a good night's rest.

darkedge
2008-10-23, 06:45 AM
Ein stands in the courtyard, leaning on his staff, the weight of carrying his own bags seemingly a strain on his old body. His eyes scan all about, as he tries to grasp the layout of the keep around him.

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-23, 11:27 AM
Qelster is looking around the keep with a keen eye, trying to determine who makes this place their home. He is also keeping an eye out for weaker areas in the walls. People seem jumpy and suspicious, but friendly, which he finds comfort in.

Mewrik is just glad that Qelster stopped talking about the stonework. As for himself, he doesn't quite trust these people. The scribe they met seemed nice, and brought a familiar looking face to the otherwise stranger-filled keep. He knows he is supposed to be here. And he would much prefer to have a nice comfortable bed to sleep in. But he does not feel as secure as he should like.

Both Mewrik and Qelster are heading for the inn. They are both hungry after their travels.

darkedge
2008-10-24, 07:34 AM
Ein trails not far behind, noting where the buildings, and more importantly the people, seem to be along the sides of the streets.

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-24, 11:17 AM
Qelster to the innkeeper: "A mighty joyful evening to you, good sir! Me and my companions *points to Ein and Mewrik* have recently arrived and are tired from a long journey. We would like to enjoy a warm meal and find accomodations for the night. What do you have to offer?"

Mewrik looks around for gamblers ...

The803
2008-10-24, 10:31 PM
The tavern-keeper (a human male) greets the three of you with a friendly nod and jabs a thumb at a wooden sign in the common tongue. The tavern serves mugs of ale, bread, cheese, meat, and daily meals at regular (PHB) prices. The tavern isn't very busy at the moment, but the staff seems to by hard-at-work cooking and cleaning for the coming evening rush.

As for beds, the same sign indicates that you may sleep with the servants in the stables in exchange for an evening of mucking, grooming, and feeding of the animals there. The halfling-run inn next to the tavern is put forth as a finer option. It is affiliated with House Ghallanda, and is of the very highest quality, although better-suited to smaller folk than humans. There is a group sleeping area (equivalent to 'poor' quality) and common-quality rooms available at double regular (PHB) prices.

The keep's good-quality rooms are located in private apartments, but are available only to proven allies who have earned the trust of the keep's watch. There are also deluxe-quality houses available to those chosen by the watch and guard*, and a guild house for House Sivis. (See the emailed map for more details).

*(The watch polices the keep interior and maintains order; the guard keeps an eye on the surrounding wilds and drills daily for war.)

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-25, 01:53 AM
Mewrik and Qelster both want a "good" meal (albeit more meat and proteins for Mewrik ... and more bread and vegetables for Qelster), and will opt for the "poor" sleeping option.

Is there gambling available?

Qelster will find a quiet corner to sit down, pulling out a book for reading after the meal.

Mewrik, on the other hand, will sit close to the bar for "easy access".

darkedge
2008-10-25, 10:17 AM
As Qelster goes to leave for the corner, Ein stops him, and informs him that he will be renting a private room for the night, if Qelster should want to leave any valuables for safekeeping, and to keep his ears open for any talk about the local goblins, the warren, or the inner keep.
Ein orders himself a nice, common quality meal and sits next to Mewrik. He informs Mewrik of the same, and begins trying to strike up a conversation with the bar keep, it's always good to have a friend behind the only bar in town.

"Sso ssonny; how has the keep been for business?"

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-25, 03:44 PM
Qelster: "Aye, thank you. I might have you hold on to a thing or two."
While enjoying his meal in the corner, Qelster is keeping an extra set of ears open for any conversations that might be going on. He's especially listening for uncommon languages.

Mewrik fills in to Ein's question: "Do you see a lot of travelers in these parts?"

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-25, 05:59 PM
Qelster realizes that the bread is a tad dry, and instantly ponders whether casting grease would be beneficial or not. :smallbiggrin:

The803
2008-10-27, 03:52 PM
As he works, the tavern-keeper tells you that business is good, but also pretty grim. He warns you not to get too friendly with anyone in the guard if you don't like having your friends get killed.

The tavern-keeper also points you to another sign posted in an out-of-the-way corner. It is made up of numerous thin slats of wood, into which are carved the keep's rules. One of them explicitly prohibits gambling on events not sanctioned by the guard. The tavern-keeper explains that the only events the guard ever sanctions are wargames, jousts, and sparring matches, and that only the actual participants may wager against one another.

As you eat, the afternoon watch and guard come off duty. Qelster overhears several among the guard talking in excited tones about a "strange and unnatural" prisoner who turned itself over to them on the previous night, making wild and baseless accusations against one of the holy men currently housed within the keep. Apparently, the creature requested asylum as a House Deneith agent, and is currently being held in a dungeon cell under heavy guard.

As they are discussing this, the scribe (to whom you spoke earlier) enters the tavern and interrupts them with an announcement. The gnomes at the Sivis Guildhouse are quite concerned with this prisoner's arrival and have some questions for it, but they are unwilling to ask it in person out of concern for their safety. They are offering 60 gp and their gratitude to the one who asks the creature their growing list of questions. The asker must be literate, articulate, and capable of self-defense without bearing weapons into the dungeon. Applicants are asked to assemble at the gate to the inner bailey at midnight. The scribe casts a knowing glance in your direction as he and his guard turn to leave, and, suddenly, you have the full attention of all of the tavern-goers for the first time.

The guard from the front gate who handled your letters, now out of his armor and carrying his own chair, walks over brazenly and seats himself before you.

"Friends of Beryl come all the way from Sharn, eh? How is the little lady?"

He seems in good spirits and pronounces the name with a fondness that is audible. You're not sure, but you guess that Beryl is his nickname for your gnome patroness back at Morgrave University.
She is usually very busy.

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-27, 04:27 PM
Qelster, a little evasively: "Last I spoke with her in person, some moons ago, she was very busy with some new undertakings. I did send her some correspondence before journeying out, but was naturally unable to receive a reply back. How do you know her?"

Before the guard has a chance to answer, Qelster continues, using his most diplomatic and articulate voice: "I also overheard the discussion about a newly taken prisoner ... Perhaps I can be of some assistance. I am fluent in several languages, and I have a few tricks up my sleeve. *winks* Tell me more about this prisoner ... Where did he come from, and what kind of creature is he?" (Diplomacy check, if applicable: [roll0])

Qelster would very much like to gain a small name for himself within the keep. He's not necessarily vain or out for glory (realizing that receiving gratitude from those within the keep may have little bearing on contacts outside the keep), but he would really like to earn the trust of the people here. Besides, if these people know (and are friends of) Beryl, they deserve some help.

Meanwhile, Mewrik eyes Qelster as he talks to the guard. He quietly whispers to Ein: "I just don't know if I trust these people yet. I don't take kindly to being treated with unfounded suspicion. But, perhaps he gets a different vibe."

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-27, 04:28 PM
Dang, a 19 :biggrin:

darkedge
2008-10-27, 08:25 PM
*To Mewrik*
Hmm, I always find a trip past those murder holes a bit unsettling, but I can't really fault the guards as grim as the situation here seems. Can't blame them for the gambling either, I'm sure they find a joust more entertaining then a game of cards. At any rate, I was thinking of trying to make a call to the dungeons, to see if they have any goblin prisoners I could get information from. I might as well follow Qelster's lead, if I can get in with him. . .
It might serve us well to get into the guards good graces, maybe he could put in a word. . .
*To the Company*
Oh, come now Qelster, can't you see the man is fresh off of duty? Youngins; always in such a rush.
*To the Guard*
Well, any friend of Beryl would be a friend of ours, how about we buy you a pint of ale? We haven't been properly introduced, Einrich Wrighten *Extends a hand* How is it you know Beryl?

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-28, 04:26 PM
Qelster: "Youngin'? *snickers* Well, I will be celebrating my 137th birthday in a week's time. But, who's counting, eh? *extends hand to guard* Qelster Garnwad, at your service! And, I could tell from your looks earlier that you are not used to seeing people of my kind in these parts. Needless to say, but it needs to be said, I am used to be perceived as a stranger, not to mention, I have traveled far from my home region, but that goes without saying."

Mewrik: "And I am Mewrik Handfast. I am generally not viewed as being of a strange kind ... although I'm more used to associating with strangers in my travels. Pardon me for being cautious until ye have proven yourself. No offense meant."

The803
2008-10-29, 12:14 PM
The guard stands to shake your hands in turn, finishing with Ein's, "A pleasure to meet you all. I'm guardsman Ericantos Semigent, at your service. My friends call me Eric, and buyin' me a pint is a sure way to get counted as one. As for me and Beryl, she and I were part of the reclamation team that cleaned this place up. She was much more important than me, but went outta her way to get to know each of us little people."

Once he has his ale, Eric flops into his seat and leans in over the mug, speaking with a low, conspiratorial tone. "This questioning business is intended for you three. Since you come here on Beryl's say-so, the Sivis gnomes want to see if you can do the sort of work they want. Dangerous work." He raises an eyebrow and slurps the foam off his pint. "Now I ain't had words with him myself, but they say he's claiming to be a hob-gob merk of House Deneith's from way back when; should be old and gray by now. They brought him through the gates in a horsedrawn cart, all wrapped in blankets and surrounded by guards. By the looks of it, he was tied up pretty good, but he weren't struggling or nothing. The boys that caught him say they're under orders not to talk about it, and the fella I got at about it in private looked like he'd seen something he wanted to forget; something unnatural. Rumors be going around that what we got is a Karrn skeleton made from the bones of who it's claiming to be. Whatever it is, they don't want us guards dealing with it up close and personal-like."

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-29, 12:41 PM
Qelster, in response to Eric's comment about Beryl going out of her way: Yes, she has been known to do that on more than one occasion. I must say I have been on the receiving end of her kindness more than once.

Mewrik, in response to mentioning of dangerous work, in a muffled whispered tone: Dangerous? And no weapons to bring?

Qelster perks up when there is mention of someone being under orders not to talk about the capture, and about seeing unnatural things: Who would have given such an order? ... and ... "Unnatural," eh? What sort of unnatural are we talking? I would very much like to have a little chat with that boy; or his superior, for that matter.

Qelster: Well, we're certainly up for the task ... but this talk of danger and lack of weapons is a tad unnerving, as Mewrik noted. Do they just want him questioned? What if real danger breaks out? Is this fellow valuable ... alive?

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-29, 05:51 PM
Basically, I'm trying to find out if they are opposed to the prisoner being killed. A less fatal option is probably preferred ... but if things go sour, neither Qelster nor Mewrik will hesitate to use lethal force (in fact, they have few other options).

darkedge
2008-10-29, 10:34 PM
Hmm, well from spending some time around the dredges in Sharn, I can say at least that a Deneith hired hob-goblin isn't very likely. . . I have to admit I'm curious. It is a bit dangerous to go it with just us three though. We could probably handle it, but I'd rather make certain. Perhaps we should seek out someone who could better deal with undead, without needing a weapon, I can ask around to see if anyone fits that bill, I just wish I knew for sure if we are dealing with a corpse. . . I think I'll ask around about that as well.
I suppose getting up to speed on the local goblins may have to wait for another time. Any thoughts on any of this Eric?

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-30, 01:39 AM
Qelster: Well, even without weapons, I can handle an undead critter with my spells. We will just have to be smart about it.

Mewrik: And I can always grapple 'im. Or trip ... or pelt with a rock.

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-30, 11:15 AM
Qelster: Well, I think we need to be careful and get all the information we need out of him first ... Do you think this hobgoblin would have any connection to the disappearances?

The803
2008-10-30, 11:28 PM
Eric finishes his pint as you talk.
"Thanks for the pint, friends. Now I'd be happy to return the favor now and buy a round, but if you fellows are serious, you'll want to stay sharp. The gnomes want someone who can be ready to go tonight."

He leans in, speaking more confidentially again,
"Look, this whole business has got me curious, so if you do see this thing, whatever it is, I can promise you each an armload of pints, and more besides, for your account. I don't like being kept in the dark about nothing that comes through my gate."

Some guardsmen call out to Eric and he waves at them and stands to go.
"Something to remember before the Guild tells you otherwise: we're a team out here. We can't have the Dragonmarks playing games and keeping secrets from us if we want to do our jobs right. It is our business, whatever they tell you."

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-31, 12:25 AM
Qelster: *firmly shakes Eric's hand* A pleasure to meet you, friend of Beryl's. We shall prepare ourselves for whatever this evening might bring. And, we will be sure to keep you informed. Now, where is this boy so we can talk to him?

Mewrik: So, midnight? *pats Eric on the back* I'll see you about that pint after this business is taken care of. *winks* Now I think I have worked up an appetite!

darkedge
2008-10-31, 12:48 PM
Aye, when we see you later on, I'll swap some stories for what you know about the goblins in these mountains, and the couple that went missing.

The803
2008-10-31, 09:15 PM
After Eric leaves you, he and the rest of the guardsmen filter out and the tavern settles down. Two richly dressed dwarves and a well-groomed shifter arrive, and the tavern staff nervously disappears into the back. The tavern-keeper whisks two pewter steins brimming with dark ale to their table. The shifter stays on his feet, taking good, long looks at everyone and audibly sniffing at the air. The dwarves nod in thanks to the retreating tavern-keeper and begin speaking quietly to one another.

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-31, 09:44 PM
Qelster sharpens his senses in an attempt at overhearing the conversation. Listen check (if applicable) [roll0]

Mewrik also attempts at overhearing their conversation. But, as Qelster does so in a careful fashion, burying his eyes into the book he brought, Mewrik nods knowingly at the shifter when their eyes meet. Listen check (if applicable) [roll1]

Qelster looks for an opportunity at taking an extra look at the dwarves. As he notices (in the corner of his eyes) that the shifter is looking elsewhere, he carefully looks up to get a better look at who/what they are, and to guess what their business might be. Spot check (if applicable) [roll2]

GalaGalaxia
2008-10-31, 09:45 PM
Bloody "1" :furious:

The803
2008-11-02, 11:58 PM
Mewrik can't understand their language.

Qelster gets a good look, but his listening catches the shifter's attention. The shifter taps one of the dwarves and points at Qelster. The dwarf nods to the shifter, who walks over to your table and jerks his head in their direction. It doesn't seem like he's asking, but it's too casual a motion to be ordering. It's more like a strongly-worded suggestion.

The quality of the dwarves' clothing suggests wealth and their bodyguard (who is also richly dressed, but in a more rugged style) suggests importance, but their bearing seems to indicate that they're not members of the watch or guard. They seem to be acting as if they own the tavern, and the tavern staff seems to be treating them that way.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-03, 01:23 AM
Without directly acknowledging the shifter or seeking eye contact with him, Qelster stands up, neatly (but nochalantly) assembles his belongings in an almost compulsive fashion, before he picks them up and looks directly into the shifter's eyes, as to say: "Well, are we going or not? I'm ready." but without speaking a word. He retains a non-expression in his face, albeit one that emanates peace and calm; and almost a hidden smile.

Qelster will not let himself be bossed around. But he is also not going to step on anyone's toes or treat them disrespectfully. Generally, expect to be met with the same courtesy or behavior as is shown him. If treated with importance and respect, he will return the favor. If treated with ignorance or an otherwise demeaning fashion, Qelster is unlikely to treat you any better (although he will certainly not return rudeness or disrespect).

darkedge
2008-11-03, 04:22 PM
Listen check to see if I had overheard the dwarves, 1d20(17) + 5 = 22.

OOC: What did you mean by "Are we going." Moonlit stroll, making googly eyes at the shifter? Seriously though I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-03, 04:52 PM
OOC: Well, he jerked his head in a gesture indicating that he wanted me to come over to the dwarves' table. He didn't say as much ... but that's how I understood it. If that wasn't the case ... well ... :smallbiggrin:

The803
2008-11-04, 03:28 AM
Ein recognizes the language as dwarven, but wasn't able to pick up anything useful before the shifter came over. As Qelster gets up, the shifter ushers him past while gesturing to Ein and Mewrik to stay put.

As Qelster walks over to the dwarves, he notices that one of them seems very eager and curious, while the other eyes him suspiciously. The curious dwarf stands and makes a few clumsy gestures in drow sign. It's hard to tell exactly what he is saying, but it appears to be a universal signal of friendship between strangers. His clumsy finger movements are almost humorous, but he seems quite sincere and a even little sheepish; you guess that he's trying to communicate in drow sign for the first time.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-04, 04:36 AM
Qelster clumsily attempts to return the favor by speaking a greeting of friendship in Dwarven, but then apologizes in Common: I am still learning your language, master dwarf. It saddens me to admit that I have not yet been able to master it; although I am sure we can find a common tongue in which to speak with one another.

Qelster then respectfully bows his head in a greeting towards the two dwarves. Qelster then compliments on the tavern, and especially the meal he just enjoyed.

darkedge
2008-11-04, 10:56 AM
Ein turns to face the room, propping his arms and chin on his staff, and chuckling lightly at Qelster's pronunciation as he tries to listen in while keeping a watchful eye on the shifter.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-04, 12:42 PM
Qelster gestures towards his companions and introduces them by name to the dwarves.

OOC: The gesture is more of a "pointing at" ... Just wanted to make sure it's not misunderstood as inviting them to come to the table, since they were asked to stay.

The803
2008-11-05, 04:06 PM
The dwarf answers in the common tongue; "I have only met with one of your kind once, and he taught me the greeting sign. Did I perform it correctly?"

The other dwarf calmly interrupts him; "Please forgive Intogi's forwardness and the curiosity of my little brother. I am Graphot Ummannal, and this is Gaudrem. Intogi over there heard from the guards that you are friends of Brellehallis Sestinindren from Morgrave University. It would please me to know she is still in one piece after her voyage abroad."

(Brellehallis is Beryl's formal first name.)

Keeping his arms crossed, the shifter leans over Ein and Mewrik, casting an eye at Qelster and muttering to them, "If the dark one there be hired help, watch that GrayFoot thar don't hire 'im away. GeeDee, thass the other one, 'e secretly wants to run 'is own freak show." He straightens up and leans back on his heels, "Fact is, 'e pays me coin to sit 'round they place doin' nothin' all day; but 'e says I be scarin' off eh... trubble. You twos ain't... trubble ...are yeh?"

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-05, 07:48 PM
Qelster: Yes, you did it mostly right. :smallwink: As for curiosity -- I have grown fairly used to it. In certain parts it is almost as if you can feel the looks from people, especially children. Granted, I am far away from home, and do not often run across anyone else of my kind. That is for both better and worse, I guess. Good, because stereotypical misconceptions are far less likely. Bad, because people tend to be wary and suspicious at first. Fear of the unknown, perhaps. On a far more dear note, Brellehallis is doing quite well. Her travels brought her safely home. That is not to say she will not find a way to get herself in a pinch again, especially in the service of others. But right now she is safe and well. I will be happy to bring her word of your greetings.

Mewrik, at the shifter: "Trouble"? Well, we're only trouble for those deserving of it. Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid -- mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

darkedge
2008-11-06, 08:20 PM
*Places a hand on Mewriks shoulder while talking to the Shifter with a grave look on his face*
Yes, he is quite deadly. As a matter of fact he once killed a rampaging bugbear. Well he says it was rampaging, I think it was panicking and having a heart attack. I would say it is debatable whether he or old age struck first, but either way it was an even match.
*Cackles loudly, then fakes coughing and wheezing from the "exertion"*
[Social Intuition "take 10" on bluff check (total 18) to convince the bodyguard we're no threat]

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-06, 09:37 PM
Mewrik continues, as if Ein did not even speak just now: At the moment, I'm neither paid, nor bothered ... and there are definitely no women involved. *points around the room with a disappointed look on his face before taking another big gulp of his ale*

Mewrik burps loudly, and then calls to Qelster: So, perhaps we should be getting ready for this evening's exciting mission ... There are people we should get talkin' to before we go.

The803
2008-11-08, 03:30 AM
As the dwarves make more small talk with Qelster, a gnome walks in and approaches their table, but doesn't insert himself into the conversation. He seems impatient, as if you three are not supposed to be here. Gaudrem suggests that you all head next door to the inn to get the pick of the rooms there. Qelster gets the hint; it seems to be an unspoken rule that it is now time for the tavern to serve the keep's important folk. Graphot certainly qualifies; in parting, he invites Qelster to visit his bank's rental vaults, should he ever need something of great value kept safe.

Ein senses that the shifter's comments are good-natured, but also definitely intended to check the two of you out and try to get a sense of your intentions. At Mewrik's comments about the lack of women, a broad grin crosses the shifter's face. "Come to breakfast sometime if you want to get in a fight over a woman. The humes like you what serve on the night-watch never miss Maddy's breakfasts. Not my thing; I myself prefers my uh... eggs... hard-boiled to sunny-side-up, if you catch my drift, but all the humes here seem to prefer 'em soft and delicate-like, with some pepper for kick. That's Maddy all over; she's trouble. Heh, probbly right up your alley; there be lots of stick duels over Maddy." The shifter notices the gnomes and seems startled. "Oop. You guys may wanna make yourselves scarce. The house gnome high-ups don't like to take chow with big folk like us around, other than the guard high-ups. Makes 'em nervous when the help catches scent of how much better they eat."

Unless you guys really want to keep roleplaying moment-by-moment, let's have one more round of questions posed to the dwarves, the shifter, the crabby gnome bodyguard, or the tavern staff on duty. I'm going to assume that you then get your things packed into a room at the inn next door and head to the appointed gate at midnight, ready to go.

Intogi (the shifter) is a novice adventurer himself (probably a ranger, by his dress), and now that the gnomes' bodyguards are arriving at the tavern, he's off-duty. He can answer any more questions you have before he heads off to his own bed, and he knows the keep and the lands around it pretty well. He's gruff but helpful; Ein gets the sense that he doesn't expect to see you survive very long, but is willing to give you any advice that might help you surprise him.

darkedge
2008-11-08, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the advice lad. Would you mind chatting a bit longer? I was hoping you could answer a few questions about the area; I'd rather trust a shifter's intuition then take the word of guards that mostly stay within these walls.

For the sake of speed, the questions I have for Intogi are:
Is he familiar with the Goblins in the area in terms of

Dress and appearence
Mannerisms
Size and or paths of any patrols
How many magic users they may have and if other goblinoids(hobs and bugbears) are also in the area).
Any notable groups/individuals/names of leaders.

Is he familiar with the area that said prisoners might be kept in in terms of:

Pathways
Known camps
Where he might expect to find/would himself keep prisoners in the area.

I don't mind if the questions let on that this isn't my first time planning a snatch and grab, but will use that 18 bluff check again to convince Intogi that I leave the physical parts of the plan up to the more "physically able" to execute. I'll be taking a 10 on sense motives (for a 17 total) to try to see if he's holding anything back or saying anything misleading.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-08, 04:51 PM
Also, for the sake of speed, Qelster would like to ask the dwarves if they know anything about the prisoner who supposedly turned himself in. Who is he, and what race? And, is there anyone within the keep who might be willing to share some information about the capture or the surrounding circumstances?

Other than that, Qelster will wish them a good night.

Mewrik is anxious to get going already. Too much small-talk for his taste, despite it being beneficial.

The803
2008-11-08, 05:40 PM
The dwarves know about the prisoner, but say they know better than to stick their noses into dragonmarked house politics. They also tell you that Beryl took a number of young goblinoids under her wing after the keep was cleared out, and they went to Sharn with her when she left. Qelster joins Mewrik, and Ein as Intogi helps them get set up at the inn.

Intogi tells you that the goblins of this area are a very diverse lot; a great many are refugees who have been pushed out of Darguun by the consolidations of power and constant in-fighting there. He does know that there are very few spellcasters; such individuals are too valued to be pushed out of Darguun. He also tells you that this area was once sacred to the ancient goblinoids; just to the north-east of the keep, there is a huge stone 'island' shaped like a dragon's head. Intogi knows that goblins avoid it, but he isn't sure why. He says that the mad hermit who lives north of the keep may know more, but warns you to be careful if you go looking for him; some say he's a murderous cannibal who commands powerful magic, and everyone says he's crazy.

Intogi also tells you about the caves on the other side of the stone island, north of the old mountain pass mining road that you followed to the keep. They are the remnants of an ancient goblin complex built into a rock quarry. Some people have gone there to trade with the goblins, but people have been disappearing lately. It is widely assumed that the goblins are no longer interested in trade, and the guard is preparing for battle if the goblins try to sack the keep once it is fully stocked with supplies for the coming winter.

You thank Intogi for his advice and head to the gate as midnight approaches. The scribe is there, flanked by his guards, a number of gnomes who are still talking about how to deal with the situation, and a warforged who appears to be an important authority of some sort.

There is also a pair of women waiting for them to finish. One of them catches your eye right away; she looks sort of like a halfling-sized shifter, and her hair has a metallic coppery sheen to it. Her companion is shrouded from head to toe in a patchwork of common rags, but is surrounded by a powerful and unfamiliar scent. As you approach, the little one looks the three of you over and says something to her veiled companion, who bends to listen to her with unearthly feminine grace, almost as if she were floating just above the ground beneath the rags.

darkedge
2008-11-09, 01:47 PM
*Approaches with a wide grin while attempting to hear what is being whispered (Only a 13 listen check)*

Good evening ladies! What brings you here tonight?

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-10, 03:32 AM
Qelster: *announces own presence* Greetings!

Mewrik: Looks like we've gathered quite the crowd ... *nods greetingly towards scribe*

Qelster: Since there are some new faces here ... I'm Qelster. Myself and my companions have most recently traveled here from Sharn. In fact, we just arrived earlier this morning. We bring greetings from, for the most part, mutual friends.

Mewrik: And we're tired and cranky ... so let's get this ride goin'.

Qelster: We did get fed, though.

Mewrik: I'm still tired and cranky ... and want to get this ride goin'. Who's the host of our illustrious gathering?

Qelster notes that a word like "illustrious" is entirely unlike Mewrik to use.

The803
2008-11-10, 05:11 PM
Ein is unable to hear what they are saying. After Ein and Qelster introduce themselves, the veiled one withdraws behind the smaller woman, who eyes you all with a smooth, sidelong glance as she speaks.

"It would seem we are your competition. You will have to excuse my companion's shyness; she is unaccustomed to being addressed by men. I am called Ar-Nalin, and you may call her Teoush." At the sound of her name, the veiled woman gives off a burst of illumination, and the smell that surrounds her intensifies. The light catches the attention of the gnomes, and the their bickering quiets as the light and scent wash over them. You all feel a sudden wash of peace and comfort.

The warforged guardsman steps forward to Ar-Nalin and speaks sternly to her.
"Your charge's reputation precedes you, but your crashing of our gate is unacceptable. She is confined to the curate's custody until further notice."

"Mrr... An unwise decision, young steel-skin. But 'twas not yours to make, only to deliver, yes?" She shrugs and turns to Qelster and fixes her catlike eyes on his.
"Very well. Tell their prisoner that the anointed one will bless him soon; he will know of whom you speak, and may be inclined to speak to you if he knows she is here for him as promised. Here is your proof." She tosses Qelster a small knot of cloth. It looks like it was torn from her companion's rags, and carries the same strange scent. With a wink, Ar-Nalin spins around and sashays off towards the doorway to the temple to the Sovereign Host, her companion floating along close behind. The warforged follows warily, and you notice guards within the inner baily gatehouse, behind arrow slits, covering the womens' movement with loaded crossbows.

The scribe hurries up to the three of you and flashes a wry smile. "Forgive the guards' alarm, but I have no record of that pair's arrival. They just showed up out of nowhere."

darkedge
2008-11-11, 10:44 AM
I must say, changelings can take on some strange guises, but I'm not used to seeing one so keen to impersonate a pin cushion. . .

ahzreal
2008-11-12, 04:56 PM
A stunningly beautiful woman enters the courtyard. Her hair is a beautiful raven-black, with hints of silver, and reaches almost to her waist. She wears skin-tight leather armor over her shapely legs. Her boots match the armor's black color, and travel all the way up to her thighs. The armor is less shapely and looks mis-fitting over her torso, not really showing anything off, but implying that she is well-endowed. On her hip, a hand-crossbow hangs. An elegant rapier hangs from her other hip, making her look dangerous and very graceful. Her eyes are stunning. The irises are a pure lilac-purple. Her skin is smooth and pale, like ivory. She approaches the group of adventurers. Her movements are silent and cat-like.

As she walks closer, her gender is not quite as obvious as before. Her frame, while shapely, is just this side of masculine. She looks everyone over intently before speaking. "Would you like some.." She leans in closer. "..assistance in this matter?" She smirks. Her voice is soft, and made everything she said sound incredibly intimate. There was a subtle hint of bass to her voice, making her voice sound melodic and rich, and gave nothing away.

darkedge
2008-11-13, 08:01 AM
"I believe we are quite alright. . . dear. . ."

*Whispered to Mew and Qel* "I have to wonder at this. . . person's intentions, as well as. . . other things. This and there are things I'd rather an outsider not see me do inside."

*Given the amiguity presented, Ein will try to figure out just what this person is, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1809599/ 24 spot or 17(10 taken) sense motive, whichever is applicable*

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-13, 01:21 PM
Qelster: That "veiled one" has me suspicious. I don't like being suspicious. Who ... "What" is she? And that scent ... And this knot of ... rags! The "anointed one" is here for our prisoner, eh?

Knowledge(religion) {presumably} -- [roll0]

Qelster and Mewrik look long and hard after the two women as they walk away.

Qelster's spot check to see more of the veiled one, attempting to find out what's under the veil: [roll1]

Mewrik's spot for the same: [roll2]

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-13, 03:27 PM
Mewrik leans over to the scribe: And, who is this person? *nods towards the new arrival*

Qelster glances at the newly approaching woman: I believe we are quite fine on our own, thank you. *mumbles something incoherent*

Mewrik, now more loudly: So, is everyone here who is supposed to be here, or do we have more contenders? *looks briefly at everyone*

ahzreal
2008-11-13, 03:42 PM
Tak's frown at Mewrik was a soft pout. "You don't think I have the proper.. skills?" The tone of her voice was very suggestive. Internally, she was resisting the urge to snicker at them. "If you let me come along.. I'll make it worth your while..

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-13, 04:13 PM
Qelster: Well, we shall quickly find out if you will prove yourself useful or not. Tag along, if you would, but do not attempt any tricks. If you prove to be useful -- very well. If not -- you will know where to find the door. But you may wish to lay off the suggestive tone when talking to fellow party members. Makes me uneasy. Besides -- I, for my part, am already involved. Bluff [roll0]

darkedge
2008-11-13, 05:00 PM
*Ein cackles despite his best efforts, quickly turning into a wheezing cough. He rests on his staff for a few moments before clearing his throat and saying lightly* "Qelster, that was about as believable as me saying we're twin brothers."
*Ein then eyes over Tak*

[OOC: At this point I'm using my ability to use sense motive to "make a hunch" on a Tak's intentions as a full-round action, taking a 10 for 17. I'd like to wait on the DM popping in and catching up before making any other statements or actions.]

The803
2008-11-13, 05:18 PM
The scribe returns to the gnomes for a moment, and then walks back up to the four of you. "It would seem that each of you has been given a different assignment."

He starts with the raven-haired woman, whom he eyes suspiciously, "At the corporal's recommendation, you are to stand in on behalf of the watch. You may ask the prisoner whatever questions you like, and report back to the corporal as soon as you are finished."

The scribe turns to Qelster, "You have been asked to do the same on behalf of House Sivis itself; the Ummannal brothers are good friends to have. You will read this list of questions, write down the answers, and return it to the guild house for your reward." He hands Qelster a pentagonal paper tablet.

Ein is next, "The Guard has requested that you report directly to them. The keep's master of records will discuss this matter with you afterwards."

Finally, the scribe turns to Mewrik and says something in a strange language as the gnomes return to their guild-house. The portcullis leading into the inner bailey opens, revealing a robed bald-headed man flanked by a half-dozen guardsmen.

"That's the master of records," the scribe says to Ein. Four of the guards exit the gate house as the master of records signals for you to follow him. The scribe accompanies you.

You are surprised to find that the keep's inner bailey is almost all empty space. You enter it on the southern end and cross a huge courtyard that sprawls before an imposing fortress build into the northern wall. Once you are within the fortress, the scribe explains, you will be led down into a sublevel. The four guardsmen remind each of you that you will need to surrender any weapons before entering the dungeon itself.

darkedge
2008-11-13, 05:46 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the strange language isn't one of the 9 that I know.

I'm also guessing when you say "motions you to follow him" he is motioning to all of us, since later the guards ask "each of us" for our weapons? While I'm aware of what house Sivis wanted, I have no clue as to what any of these other groups want, so I'm going to cut off the scribe mid sentence.

"Wait a minute there! As far as I knew House Sivis was the only one that expressed any details on what they want concerning the prisoner, what exactly is it that the watch, or the guard, are looking for? It would be nice to know whats expected of me before I'm supposed to do it."

*I also slip the weapons I have on my person into my backpack before actually getting to the bottom floor*

[by the way, did any of the attempts to do things I made above amount to anything (i.e. the spot and sense motive checks?)]
*sigh* missed him by that much

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-13, 07:10 PM
Qelster: Very well. *takes the tablet and glances the questions over with a somewhat puzzled look* Alright, I'll make sure these questions are answered, if that's what they want.

Mewrik nods at the scribe as they exchange a few brief words in the strange language.

The803
2008-11-14, 12:59 AM
The scribe reassures Ein as your group, surrounded by guards and led by the master of records, crosses the inner bailey and waits in the shadow of the fortress.

"Here is what is about to happen. Your companion is going to waltz into the prisoner's cell and ask him some questions from that little book. Once he is done, the guards are going to march him straight back to the Sivis guild-house, where he will turn over the book and describe what he has seen and heard."
"Ein, you are going to go with that bald fellow there, and answer any questions he has about the exchange between Qelster and prisoner. The dark-haired woman will presumably do the same with the corporal of the watch, who is waiting inside; I think they know each other from somewhere."

The portcullis into the fortress opens, and the corporal of the guard saunters out. He walks through the guards that surround you all to the dark-haired stranger, greets her in a salty tone, and offers her a drink from his wineskin, seemingly oblivious to anyone else."Glad you could make it, beautiful. Don't you worry now, I got your back side." (he pauses for a fat laugh) "But seriously now, pussycat, you play nice and give your scratchy stuff to me once we're inside. You won't need it. You'll get 'em all back, an' a nice reward too, once the questions are done and asked. All you gotta do is charm this prisoner into being honest-like."

The bald-headed master of records is trying to conceal his distaste as he strides up next to the scribe, who is still trying to reassure Ein. "Please don't worry, the master of records here is a very learned and respectable man. You can entrust your weapons to him if you want to be sure to get them back. If the prisoner gives you trouble, all you have to do is shout for the guards."

darkedge
2008-11-14, 12:16 PM
*Whispering to the scribe* "Well, there are some individuals that concern me much more than the prisoner." *DC17 Bluff to insinuate to the scribe and master of records I'm talking about Tak* "Though if you knew some of my suspicions, you'd find things a bit less distasteful and a bit more humorous, trust me on that one. All my weapons are in my pack, I'd prefer to leave the whole bag with you, just let me retrieve my writing supplies. Is it really necessary to give up my walking stick?"

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-14, 02:57 PM
Mewrik mumbles to himself (in Riedran) as he hands over weapons and other valuables: "Weapons?" Pfft, Qelster here can kill people with his freakin' mind.

Qelster tries to hold back a snicker as he hands over his daggers. In drow: And you, my furry friend, can kill people with your bare hands on a good day ...

Mewrik, now in common: I have no clue what you just said ... but it cannot have been that important. ... Not much you say is. *fake laugh*

ahzreal
2008-11-14, 03:07 PM
Tak pouts cutely for a second at the Coporal. "Well.. If you say I must surrender my weapons, I'm sure that a wise, strong man such as yourself knows what is best.." She smiles at him, leaning close, brushing his chest just barely. "But surely, you would not leave such a fair trinket at the mercy of such a villian?" She stares into his eyes with her deep lilac orbs.

The803
2008-11-14, 06:58 PM
As the scribe takes Ein's pack and holds it up for him, the master of records places a hand in front of Ein. "You may retain your walking stick, old man, but take care that it isn't taken from you. I will retrieve your writing supplies for you." A guard puts an armored shoulder between Ein and his pack as the master of records does so.

The corporal laughs, "Ha! Now, now, dearie, part of the deal here is no weapons. But if you're so worried, here." He grabs a battered practice-shield and thrusts it into Tak's hands. "That should do you just fine. Just keep that 'tween you and the bad guy if he acts up." He laughs again and turns to go as the guards finish disarming the lot of you.

A mongrelfolk jailer appears at the top of a narrow stone spiral stair, holding a number of candles and a lantern. He lights the candles from the lantern in turn as he hands one to each of you. "Follow me. Watch for drips," he says in a gentle voice as he turns and descends again.

The master of records and the scribe stay put at the top of the stairs, as do four of the guards watching your things. The corporal is in an adjacent dining area, eating and humming to himself.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-14, 07:51 PM
Qelster hums a tune from his homeland as they descend the stairs to the dungeon.

Dwarves and stone
Hounds and bone
Soap and steak for every home

Orcs and shoes
Pigs and booze
My mother has a broken head

Gnomes and bricks
Elves and sticks
Come yonder and stomp silently

ahzreal
2008-11-14, 07:54 PM
Tak follows the mongrelfolk down, holding the candle at an angle so as to not harm her delicate skin.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-14, 07:58 PM
Mewrik nudges Tak: Best not hold that candle at an angle, or the candle wax will come dripping all over the place, onto your skin and your clothes. Best hold it straight and steady. Besides, it comes with a holder which will catch the wax anyway. *points*

Mewrik has 200 ranks in Knowledge(burning candles) :smallbiggrin:

darkedge
2008-11-14, 10:14 PM
*From the back of the group with a slight cackle* "Best listen to him lass, he knows his wax"

The803
2008-11-15, 12:46 AM
The mongrelman jailer shuffles off down the cool, dark corridor at the bottom of the stairs without waiting. He doesn't go far before reaching a narrow iron door that is barred shut. He removes the bar and swings the door open, and a strange smell, like hot stones, wafts out. The air remains cool as the mongrelman steps through the narrow doorway, motioning for you to follow.

The cell behind is quite large; it is obviously a holding pen for multiple prisoners. In the center of the empty room stands a stone statue, and the mongrelman begins speaking to it gently in the guttural tongue of the goblinoids.

As the mongrelman speaks to it, you see that the 'statue' is obviously the prisoner as, slowly and silently, it animates. In the candlelight, you can see that the prisoner looks like an emaciated hobgoblin made entirely out of stone. A pair of tentacles, which had been wrapped tightly around its waist and legs when you entered, uncoil sinuously into the stuffy air of the cell. The tentacles, which protrude from the prisoner's back, motion gracefully for the jailer to leave, and the mongrelman steps hurriedly through and past the four of you, returning to the corridor, where he waits with a hand on the open cell door.

"Not to be frightened, please," the statue says in gravelly, halting common, "The Daelkyr could not take eyes; am not all dolgaunt yet. Ask you questions; will try to answer." He seems broken and ashamed.

ahzreal
2008-11-15, 09:45 AM
Tak does as is suggested, and holds the candle upright, still catious about the hot wax.

As they enter the cell, Tak is curious about not who, but what the creature before them is. She's never seen something like this. She walks up to the prisoner, but now is unsure of what to ask. She's also unsure of how something like this would act to her feminine wiles. She looks back to her comrades, making slight casting gestures, attempting to discreetly cast Charm Person on the prisoner. She lays her hand on its shoulder. "Now, why are you in here, hun?"

darkedge
2008-11-15, 01:18 PM
In Goblin: "And feel free to answer in Goblin if it would prove easier" *as he passes his walking stick back towards the mongrelfolk*

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-15, 04:14 PM
Qelster: Greetings, stranger. I am Qelster, of a far-away land. I am merely a guest in this keep, and I seek you no harm. Rather, I have come down here so that those who may seek otherwise will have no reason to pursue those thoughts further. I intend to protect you from unjustice. They say you are a prisoner, but have made no effort to further elaborate on what makes you one. No mention of a crime committed or any harm done. As such, you stand innocent before me, barring any charges presented against you. I also bring word from some who claim to be on your side. Perhaps a word of comfort in exchange for your cooperation. You have become quite the topic of discussion among the guard and tavern guests. I have heard you being called many things, but not once has anyone had the courtesy to call you by name. Do tell, what is your name? Diplomacy [roll0]

Mewrik eyes the prisoner cautiously. What are the charges under which you are locked up down here, stoneskin?

The803
2008-11-17, 12:38 AM
The prisoner smiles hideously at Tak and answers in a mixture of common and goblin, with Ein translating the latter bits.
"My name is Yktiss. I was brought here to train as a sell-sword, but once the uprising over the mountains began to take back our lands from Cyre, I rose up against my human masters as a crusader. I went to guard my people at the delve-town in the old quarry just beyond the great stone dragon's head. From the small goddess that watches over the dragon's head, we learned much of my race's history and we were proud and united until the arguments over faith began.

"Strangers came from the west, claiming to know the spiritual ways of our ancients, but some among them were servants of the Dragon Below. They eventually summoned an abomination from Khyber and purged all who opposed them, including me. Some fortunates were slain, but most were brought back from defeat and twisted, like me, into their servants. I am here because it is the safest place from the agents of the Daelkyr, but I fear they have infiltrated this keep, posing as holy men, just as they did to us.

"The guardsmen tell me that was many years ago now, that the war is over, that hated Cyre is no more, and that a different Dragonmarked house now commands this keep. I do not care. I only remember awakening with the small goddess standing over me. She told me: warn the newcomers that these mountains are not safe. The great stone dragon is dying, and when it passes, the maggots of the Dragon Below will feast upon its flesh and let loose an eruption of death and madness."

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-17, 01:46 AM
As he's speaking, Mewrik and Qelster are trying to gauge his honesty and whether he is trying to hide anything.

Sense Motive for Qelster: [roll0]
Sense Motive for Mewrik: [roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-17, 01:50 AM
Ok, OOC -- just looking at my last several die rolls, I simply have to say:
BLOODY DICE!! :furious: :furious:

There, it's been said!

This is absolutely ridiculous. A 3 for diplomacy, and a 4 and 5 for sense motive -- with a +3 modifier! Not to mention the utterly failed bluff earlier ... and the listen check in the tavern.

Maybe I should have Qelster and Mewrik attempt to punch each other?
Qelster [roll0]
Mewrik [roll1]

darkedge
2008-11-17, 12:30 PM
*Taking the usual 17 for a sense motive on what's being told*

"This warning would seem to fit with the dissappearance of your people's presence in the area. What more can you tell us of the small goddess? We should likely seek her advice."

ahzreal
2008-11-17, 03:09 PM
Tak nods at the second question asked. "Yes, and what is this Stone Dragon?" Her voice seems to have taken on a more serious tone, some of the softness that made it utterly seductive earlier leaking away. It was just a small slip in her guise, but she doubted anyone would notice, or rather, that anyone important had noticed.

The803
2008-11-18, 12:59 AM
Ein is in best position to gauge Yktiss' sincerity, being the only Goblin-speaker. As far as Ein can tell, he's telling the truth and not holding anything back.

"The stone dragon is the grave of a line of great wyrms that lived during the age of the Dhakaani Empire. The small goddess was a mountain nymph, a fey creature that has watched over the hatching grounds around the grave for many centuries. Like my people, she has become a twisted slave of the Daelkyr, lost to madness and despair."

darkedge
2008-11-18, 07:39 AM
"I had myself one more question, if you would provide some enlightenment, as my knowledge on the Daelkyr is somewhat lacking. I have ofttimes heard of someone called the "Anointed One", does that name hold any significance to you?"

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-18, 12:31 PM
Qelster: So far, none of the things you have told us indicate a reason why you should be locked up and treated like a prisoner. Can you tell me more about the circumstances surrounding what we have been told being your capture?

The people of Daelkyr, how can we recognize them? And what do they want with you, if you are found or delivered into their hands?

The House of Sivis seem to have an invested interest in you as well. Any ideas why that might be?

Mewrik: Do you have any friends or allies in the area? Is there anyone within the walls of this keep that can vouch for you?

ahzreal
2008-11-18, 08:57 PM
Tak turned back towards her party. "I believe him. He has nothing to gain from our delusion, and even, perhaps, more to be gained with our victory, and even less to lose..." She turned back to the prisoner, her expression thoughtful.

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-18, 09:08 PM
Qelster: Whether for good or not, I was asked to show you this ... *takes out knot of rags* Does this have any meaning to you at all?

The803
2008-11-19, 01:49 AM
Yktiss leans close to peer at the knot of rags, and his eyes brighten for a moment.

"I know that smell; those rags smell of the small goddess when she was with child. A spell-scale child it was, yes, a sorceror's daughter. The father could not be identified, and the mountain goddess lost much face for her refusal to name him. She hoped her child would be educated as a spiritual teacher of our people, like she had become, but the idea turned many against her. The false prophets convinced us to exile the fatherless child, but I do not know where she was sent. That was the beginning of the end; the small goddess fell into despair after her daughter was taken, and the false prophets began their takeover.

"The dragonmark guildsmen who trained me as a sell-sword could vouch for my name, and I do not know why the gnome-guild has an interest in me. I have no allies for the same reason I am down here; I am a daelkyr abomination, hideously alive beyond my years. They will seek to recapture or slay me because I am their handiwork, a flesh-puppet for them to mold and command. I still do not know how to spot them.

"I half-expected to be killed by the horsemen who found me, but my stone skin spared me from harm. I offered them the warning from the small goddess, but they would not listen. They are soldiers; they took me prisoner and would not let me speak. I think they feared I might bewitch them."

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-19, 02:19 AM
Qelster: This knot of rags *holds them up one last time before putting them back in the belt pouch* came from a woman flanked by someone wearing clothes in their resemblance. She carried that same smell, too.

Tell me more about the warning. What does it mean? And, can anything be done to prevent this doom? And, can anything be done to prolong the life of the stone dragon?

Mewrik: In the tavern ... we heard about a young boy soldier who was present at your capture. He acted as though he had seen or experienced something unspeakable ... *marked pause as to suggest that Yktiss should fill in*

The803
2008-11-20, 02:05 PM
"I know little more about the stone dragon, only that it is very important to the small goddess. Her fate and its fate are the same.

"The young soldier you speak of was probably the one who first found and attacked me in the wild. He was no boy. About your age, I'd say. He was quite upset that his weapons and training were of little use, but I think the looks of me alone are unspeakable enough."

ahzreal
2008-11-20, 03:06 PM
"An actual goddess?" Tak asks, her look serious. "Not just some really powerful sorceress, or a spirit, but an actual true-to-life goddess?" She lifts a delicate brow slightly.

The803
2008-11-22, 10:34 PM
"We paid homage to her, and she taught us things about the past and the worlds beyond this world. She was our goddess for a time, until she was brought low by sadness."

This is a nit-picky world-detail, ahzreal, but Tak's actually asking a meta-game question, like asking Yktiss how many hit points or what monster-template he has. Even the most learned religious scholars on Eberron don't distinguish between powerful sorcerers, spirits, and "actual" gods; if something is worshiped, it is divine. Other campaign worlds, especially Forgotten Realms, treat the gods as just another species of powerful monster and clerics as extensions of their will; Eberron's approach to religion and the divine is more ambiguous and more like the real world. I'm only reminding you of this for future reference, because it's something that everyone on Eberron knows and takes for granted.

In answer to the question, I'm going to put some beliefs into the characters' heads. As Vassals of the Traveler, they would assume these points:
the "goddess" was a magical creature who formed a cult around herself
the "goddess" was probably not the Traveler
there is a chance the "anointed one" could be connected to the Traveler
do not ever fully trust anything that could be the Traveler

The degree to which individuals believe those points is a matter of how devout they are, and since most Vassals of the Traveler aren't particularly dogmatic, they are meant merely as points of reference.

darkedge
2008-11-22, 11:19 PM
Well do you think your goddess might pose any threat to her daughter, lost to madness as she was. Beyond that, you have been quite compliant, are there favors you would like to ask for?

The803
2008-11-23, 01:57 AM
Yktiss looks long and hard at Ein. Until now, he has been speaking in a mix of common and goblin so that Ein's translation will be easy, but now he speaks in his native goblin tongue with confidence and power.

"The sorrow of the small goddess is what makes her dangerous. If her daughter has returned, there is a chance she will remember her power and her duties to the Stone Dragon and to my people. There is a chance she will finally break the bonds of the daelkyr and cleanse our delve of their tainted presence."

You feel a twinge of fear and awe as he brings himself to his full height, stone fists clenched and tentacles rearing like angry cobras in the guttering candlelight.

"If this 'anointed one' is the daughter of the small goddess, then I will swear, on my honor as an heir of Dhakaan, to bring her before her mother or die in the attempt. I bear no grudge as yet against the soft new folk of this keep, but if there is yet a chance for me to free my kin, I will not be denied it by mere walls of stone or weapons of steel."

darkedge
2008-11-23, 11:46 AM
Ein raises an eyebrow, and talks in goblin with a raised voice. "And would you slaughter those of your people under the sway of the dragon below and in your, for the freedom of those that would remain? Would you be as resolute in insuring the safety of the heir from any madness on the part of the goddess as you would be in bringing the heir before her, even going as far as moving against your goddess for the chance of restoring her? Consider this question well, would you swear to all of this on the honor of Dhakaan?"

The803
2008-11-24, 01:46 AM
Yktiss settles down a bit, and casts a grim half-smile at Ein;

"I will decide what oaths I swear, old one, but such ugly thoughts are right to consider. If this 'anointed one' joins the small goddess in madness under the sway of the daelkyr, they must both be destroyed. I must meet with her soon, so that I might better judge her intent.

"Those truly under the sway of the Dragon Below are no longer of my people; they have been changed as I have, many even more so. They have become abominations that must be butchered or driven into the depths of Khyber. There may be some like myself, changed in body but not in spirit, but if we remain abominations in the eyes of my people for our deformities, I, for one, will gladly give up my birthright and submit to exile, or even execution.

"But before I will seek such judgment by the Heirs of Dhakaan, I must first seek an honorable death. I must account for as many of my enslaved delve-brethren as I can, and release them through freedom or death."

darkedge
2008-11-24, 07:24 AM
Still talking in Goblin. "It seems she may have been interested in meeting with you as well. I will see what I can do to arrange for your meeting, and your release if I can manage it. I for one plan to leave to inact this meeting no longer then two nights hence. If you hear nothing by then, you know thier answer, but I will still plan on being on the trail. . . Can you keep track of time down here in any way?"

The803
2008-11-24, 05:08 PM
Yktiss nods towards the mongrelman holding the door. "I think so, and the doorman there will help me to track the time. I do not believe it is in his nature to lie, and he has already earned my trust."

darkedge
2008-11-24, 06:24 PM
"Hmm, then you know when it is unlikely that you may leave with their permission. Please answer the questions of the others, that I may move things along. I hope to see you again, heir of Dhakaan."

Take 10 diplomacy of 17 to see if I've made any new friends during this conversation

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-25, 09:09 PM
Qelster: You have been very accomodating. Is there anything you would ask of us before we depart?

ahzreal
2008-11-25, 09:20 PM
(Wasn't trying to meta-game; The prisoner's response was what I was looking for. I was merely trying to figure out how people saw this "goddess".)

Tak was frowning. She was thinking. When she realized that the frown formed a small furrow on her brow, she stopped. Musn't risk wrinkles, after all. She looked from the adventurers to the prisoner. She was ready to do what she could to help.

The803
2008-11-29, 01:00 PM
Yktiss has nothing to ask of any of you, but the mongrelman jailer leans in close as you turn to leave. He taps the booklet of questions from house Sivis in Qelster's hands and then gestures at the prisoner.

darkedge
2008-11-29, 01:16 PM
*Gently swings his staff to rap Qelster on the head* "Forgetting something?"

GalaGalaxia
2008-11-29, 02:06 PM
Qelster opens the little booklet.
See? The questions are all answered already.

The803
2008-11-30, 03:45 PM
The mongrelman jailer shows you out of the dungeon, and you are greeted at the top of the stairs by a large group of people. They quickly separate the four of you:

Ein goes with the master of records
Mewrik goes with the scribe from the front gate
Qelster is escorted back to the Sivis Guildhouse
Tak meets in the dining hall with the Corporal of the Watch

Do not post in this thread until further notice.
Ein, Mewrik, and Tak are all asked the same questions, but I want each of you PM me an in-character description of the exchange with the prisoner. Assume that Ein faithfully translated everything that was in goblin. The people questioning you want you to be honest, but just I want your characters' individual replies to their respective questioners (honest or not).

GalaGalaxia
2008-12-08, 08:32 PM
OOC: Sorry, I believe you guys are waiting on me. Been moving and lost internet access while doing so. And, my only other internet accessible place had GitP blocked :smallannoyed:

Anyway ... I'm back in business and will send a message to our DM :smallcool: