PDA

View Full Version : A riddle

AgentPaper
2008-10-22, 07:12 PM
I just threw this riddle at my players the other day:

"I wish I had an ear in the planes, but only after I removed the sane."

It is inscribed on the bottom of a dragon statuette, which has a claw held out, as if asking for something.

They don't need to solve it, but if they do, they get something cool. The riddle is real, and one I made up. I gave no hints, but do kinda want them to solve it, so I'm posting it here to see if anyone can figure it out.

Post guesses in spoilers, please. :smallwink:

Grey Watcher
2008-10-22, 07:17 PM
"I wish I had an ear in the planes, but only after I removed the sane."

Can I get two things clarified?

1: Is it supposed to say "sane" or "same"? That could easily be a typo, and I want to be sure I have it correctly.

2: I'm assuming we're talking D&D (3.5) right? 'Cause they keep changing what items/spells/powers/classes/etc. do what.

greenknight
2008-10-22, 07:26 PM
Here's my guess:

Remove "sane" from "planes" leaves pl. Putting "ear" in the middle of it makes "pearl". So I'd say the PCs need to put a pearl in the claw. The only problem with this is whether other languages spell words the same way we do in English.

Saph
2008-10-22, 07:29 PM
Here's my guess:

Wow, that's good!

If that isn't the answer, it should be; it's just too neat. :)

- Saph

AgentPaper
2008-10-22, 07:33 PM
Wow, that was fast. This is for a game of 4E, though it doesn't matter much in this case. And yes the spelling is exactly as I have it.

Once my players do solve it (if they ever do) they will find that it gives them a +6 Unholy Avenger. (holy avenger, but does necrotic instead) Them being at level 10ish, that's a damned powerful item. However, they have to make a will save, or they just start killing whatever happens to be closest until they fall to fatigue. After reading on artifacts, though, I want to make it an artifact fit for a level 30 character, which would also take a level 30 character to wield with any reliable chance of succeeding the will save.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-22, 07:52 PM
Your the DM so it's your call, but I think if they solve a riddle, they should get something they can use with some chance of success.

erikun
2008-10-22, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't call killing off your teammates "something cool."

Are you sure you want to do this? There are plenty of things that you could give them that aren't as powerful as a +6 +1d10 weapon that deals an extra +6d6 on a critical. I've seen games where one character runs around with an overpowered weapon, and it tends to kill it for everyone else.

Is there any reason why you're giving this to the PCs? Because this isn't something they're going to halfway-find. They're either going to get the item (in which case, you need to deal with its full effects) or they're going to miss it completely (in which case, it doesn't matter either way).

Fiery Diamond
2008-10-22, 08:04 PM
I agree with the posters above me. I also think the first guess is, or should be, the right answer, and it would be nice if the OP would let us know if someone gets it right.

-Fiery Diamond

Lycan 01
2008-10-22, 08:12 PM
Maybe they can get a temporary boost to their Will save since they excercised their mind in order to solve the riddle?

Mewtarthio
2008-10-22, 08:32 PM
Congratultations! You've solved the riddle! The statue presents you with a sword as your prize!

"Hey, neat! I pick it up and--"

A horrible shock extends from your sword arm and all throughout your body. You feel a brief bout of nausea before everything goes black. Everyone else: You notice him laughing maniacally, and then he slaughters you all. The end.

"What sort of a prize was that?!"

Hey, *I* thought up the clever riddle; I think *I* should be the one getting rewarded here.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-22, 08:42 PM
Maybe instead of an +6 Unholy Avenger, how about something that has powerful, yet limited uses? That way, you don't have to worry so much about it affecting game balance.
Like a sword that on activation acts as this blade, but only for x amount of turns, y times. After this, it's just an +2 sword, with maybe a stench of decaying flesh clinging to it. And any will save DC could be either less, or the effect of a fail less severe. Such as bowing at the sight of powerful evil creatures.

AgentPaper
2008-10-22, 09:45 PM
Well, there would be more foreshadowing than them just picking up the sword, it gives off a pretty powerful aura of vileness. My party isn't the type to just pick up random items and try them on without testing them, so I expect them to wrap it up and store it away, to be used in dire circumstances as a last resort.

AgentPaper
2008-10-23, 02:26 AM
Forgot to re-mention, that first guess was the right answer. Also, I've decided to change the weapon into one of the Broken Blades of Banatruul, specifically the duskblade. (This is an paragon level artifact) I wouldn't be surprised if the party was halfway through paragon before they guessed the answer, and in fact I'm looking at finding a similar epic weapon to use instead if they are epic tier by that point. :smallamused:

Anyways, what I really need is a good hint or two to drop, but I really can't think of any that wouldn't give it away right off, so I'm asking for help from the smart fellows of this board. These are hints I would give them after they took a insight check, of course, so feel free to give a DC to your hints. :smallwink:

Siegel
2008-10-23, 02:31 AM
You do a ritual to open a gate to the planes. Than you destroy the head of the statue and just take it ears and carry them over to the other plane. You take the body with you too.

Ok thats to easy but would be quite literall

kamikasei
2008-10-23, 02:50 AM
For the record, I got it, but it may be the sort of riddle that's a lot easier to solve when you see it in writing. I would suggest giving the players a note with the text, or a "rubbing of the inscription", or something like that.

As far as hints you might say "you can tell it wants something of great price", but that might be either a dead giveaway or totally worthless.

Smeggedoff
2008-10-23, 05:24 AM
yay, I guessed right :)

Burley
2008-10-23, 09:02 AM
For the record, I got it, but it may be the sort of riddle that's a lot easier to solve when you see it in writing. I would suggest giving the players a note with the text, or a "rubbing of the inscription", or something like that.

As far as hints you might say "you can tell it wants something of great price", but that might be either a dead giveaway or totally worthless.

Just have them find a pearl earlier in the temple/dungeon/session. I think that's the easiest way to give them a hint. I think the best way to give treasure is to have PCs waste some other treasure to get it. Also, never be afraid to give them a treasure of less value than the one they receive.

AgentPaper
2008-10-23, 02:00 PM
I actually did give them a pearl in the same dragon's hoard that they got the statue in. I don't think they were listening though, they just asked how much gold they got total. :smallsigh: I think I will give them a "rubbing" of the thing though, I've been meaning to give them more handouts.