PDA

View Full Version : My Nobilis group's Imperator

Revanmal
2008-10-22, 10:28 PM
I'm currently acting as the HG of a small Nobilis group over IM, and we've stumbled upon perhaps the greatest Imperator idea ever... or at least the best I ever heard

The group is made up of:

the Power of Warrior Spirit
the Power of Words
the Power of Storms
and the Power of Bending

Their chancel is like a milieu of various settings, a great city with three districts:

The poor town is made up of gritty, crime-ridden slums protected by rugged anti-heroes and is mostly black and white, a la Sin City.

Middle-town is made up of a Fantasy city, populated by medieval folk and spellcasters. Standard sword and sorcery.

The richest part of town is Sci-Fi - teleporting, food synthesizing, androids, and lots of seemingly alien visitors.

So now the group had to pull these all together and find an Imperator that fit them and the Chancel. And then lightning struck. Where do all these elements come into play, and just what kind of creative mind would make something this grandiose? They decided their Imperator and Chancel were none other than the representation of Roleplaying games in their various forms.

So now they just needed an Imperator, one who would fit such strict guidelines, and they settled upon one of the most genius I'd ever heard:

Ascended to the heights of power by the love and admiration of countless people all across the mortal planes, Gary Gygax takes his rightful place as Imperator of Fantasy.

He presides over his realm with all the care and love of a benevolent father, helping the people his legendary works helped to form. And even after his death, Gygax's deep ties to the very fabric of reality subtly weave the intricate threads of fate, and he continues to watch and guide all those who game, whether they be the most dedicated of players or a few kids tossing dice over an old DMG one boring afternoon.

Human Paragon 3
2008-10-23, 09:01 AM
Power of Bending?

1of3
2008-10-23, 09:08 AM
Shouldn't it be the other way round? Gary being the Power of Fantasy for some Imperator? After all Imperators never were human. They just pop into existance once in a while.

Nevertheless, why isn't there a Power of Fantasy at the moment?

Revanmal
2008-10-23, 11:29 AM
Power of Bending?

The girl who thought that up is clever. Think of what can be physically and metaphorically bent:

Metals, wood, many different construction materials. Bend a support beam or two far enough and the whole structure can crumble.

Rules and laws - Laws such as gravity and conservation of mass.

Gender... :smalleek:

Shouldn't it be the other way round? Gary being the Power of Fantasy for some Imperator? After all Imperators never were human. They just pop into existance once in a while.

Nevertheless, why isn't there a Power of Fantasy at the moment?

The players came up with their characters separately. There may very well BE a Power of Fantasy, but they do not serve Gary Gygax.

And shush, we can make Gary Gygax an Imperator if we want. :smallbiggrin: Maybe Lord Entropy likes to play D&D. :smalltongue:

Hzurr
2008-10-23, 11:44 AM
The girl who thought that up is clever. Think of what can be physically and metaphorically bent:

Metals, wood, many different construction materials. Bend a support beam or two far enough and the whole structure can crumble.

Rules and laws - Laws such as gravity and conservation of mass.

Gender... :smalleek:

Heh, that's pretty awesome. A few friends and I were looking at starting a Nobilis game, but we never got around to it.

I was planning on being the Nobilis of friction, so I could do some of the same bizarre type things as the Nobilis of Bending.

"You want to shoot me? Let's see your bullet make it out of the gun barrel."

"You're trying to chase her? Let's see you run on a frictionless surface."

...*sigh* ... Still bitter that I never got to play him.

Revanmal
2008-10-23, 11:48 AM
Heh, that's pretty awesome. A few friends and I were looking at starting a Nobilis game, but we never got around to it.

I was planning on being the Nobilis of friction, so I could do some of the same bizarre type things as the Nobilis of Bending.

"You want to shoot me? Let's see your bullet make it out of the gun barrel."

"You're trying to chase her? Let's see you run on a frictionless surface."

...*sigh* ... Still bitter that I never got to play him.

The amount of havoc a Physics-themed group of Nobles and some creative players can create is staggering.

JMobius
2008-10-23, 11:59 AM
The amount of havoc a Physics-themed group of Nobles and some creative players can create is staggering.

I've got an upcoming game where I am the Power of Forces, in the similar broadly generic sense as Mage.

That's going to be fun. :smallbiggrin:

vicente408
2008-10-23, 02:37 PM
"Like most things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending."

TakeV
2008-10-23, 03:02 PM
Well, it looks like Mr. Gygax is going to get a cameo in my Nobilis game. That is just too good of an idea. :P