PDA

View Full Version : Here is what I'm trying to do....

koldstare
2008-10-23, 10:17 AM
I am making a gish character for a high level game I am starting soon. The starting level is 20 and we can use anything from 3.0 or 3.5 books(except for TOB and all Psionics). The game is semi-gestalt, as in the first classes we take is gestalt and we can take it as much as we want but that is the only gestalt allowed.
This is a very high level game so the ability scores we get are 14,14,16,16,18,18

This is what I was planning.
Battledancer/Beguiler 12, Monk 1, Swiftbalde 3, X 4

I don't really know what to put in the X or if I should change out Beguiler for another class. As it stands I was going to go
STR - 14
DEX - 16
CON - 14
INT - 18
WIS - 16
CHA - 18

Since I get my dex, cha, and wis to my AC

I would really like to have at least a 16 BAB and was going to go a charger route. With the slippers of battledancing I would get my CHA to attack and damgage. I was trying to find a way to essentally go TWF, so I could attack four times then grapple, then pin, then throw, so I could charge them the next round. So i guess mostly I am looking for a way to optimise my ability to throw people, grapple people, and charge people. I also want to be skillful because I know this build isn't very useful outside of combat and only in combat if the foe is a size or two larger than me at the most. I like the gish route because I don't become useless when we find a foe with DR or such.

Tell me what you think, also if you have any non-caster builds that sort of follow the same lines.

only1doug
2008-10-23, 10:53 AM
I am making a gish character for a high level game I am starting soon. The starting level is 20 and we can use anything from 3.0 or 3.5 books(except for TOB and all Psionics). The game is semi-gestalt, as in the first classes we take is gestalt and we can take it as much as we want but that is the only gestalt allowed.
This is a very high level game so the ability scores we get are 14,14,16,16,18,18

This is what I was planning.
Battledancer/Beguiler 12, Monk 1, Swiftbalde 3, X 4

I don't really know what to put in the X or if I should change out Beguiler for another class. As it stands I was going to go
STR - 14
DEX - 16
CON - 14
INT - 18
WIS - 16
CHA - 18

Since I get my dex, cha, and wis to my AC

I would really like to have at least a 16 BAB and was going to go a charger route. With the slippers of battledancing I would get my CHA to attack and damgage. I was trying to find a way to essentally go TWF, so I could attack four times then grapple, then pin, then throw, so I could charge them the next round. So i guess mostly I am looking for a way to optimise my ability to throw people, grapple people, and charge people. I also want to be skillful because I know this build isn't very useful outside of combat and only in combat if the foe is a size or two larger than me at the most. I like the gish route because I don't become useless when we find a foe with DR or such.

Tell me what you think, also if you have any non-caster builds that sort of follow the same lines.

I'd make X more levels of gestalt, 2 sets of class features at once is too nice to pass up unless you have something you definately NEED for your build.

Spellthief//fighter 16 /monk 1/ swiftblade 3
Fighter for feats, HP and BAB, Spellthief gives sneak attack, skills and some spellcasing, and the ability to steal spells.

Ok, this is completely NOT what you were after, but it's what i would be tempted to build for a gish.

Duskblade//wizard 20
pure classes to keep the gestalt going, 2 sets of spellcasting (both Int based) and full BAB.

Pick a draconic subtype race and take the dragonscale husk alternate class feature (which replaces heavy armour proficiency). Dragonscale Husk at L20 would give you resistance 20 to fire, cold, acid and lightning and a reasonable AC (i can't remember offhand what it maxes at) with no spell failure chance (max dex bonus +2).

Taking clap of thunder reserve feat (complete mage) would give you a supernatural ability (no spell resistance) to make a touch attack for 1d8/level of spell reserved (L9 sonic based spell would be 9d8). for those targets who's AC is beyond your reach and have spell resistance.

Keld Denar
2008-10-23, 11:14 AM
Hmmm, maybe somekind of Sorcadin Gish would be decent?

Sorcerer20(fixed)//Pal4/Marshal2/DreadCommando?5/DragonDiciple?9

This would net you full casting, cha+5 to initiative, cha to saves, (ex) flight, claw/claw/bite natural attacks to add to weapon iteratives (use a weapon that isn't in your hands, like the boot blades or weighted cloak from Complete Scoundrel), +cha to damage via Divine Might, 1 1st level pally spell (Rhino's Rush?), some lolSudden Strike and the ability to run silently in something like a Mithril Breastplate, and full sorc spellcasting. The ability score bumps from DD are pretty good, and the bonus spells/day are a nice adder (add them to the highest level you can cast at the time).

I think about the only time DD is a passable class is in gestalt, since you don't have to worry about losing CLs. LOL.

JupiterPaladin
2008-10-23, 11:35 AM
Your suggestion won't work Keld. The OP specifically states that only the first class can have a gestalt benefit. You can't just claim it to be fixed as a normal gestalt. :smallfrown:

What's wrong with a Wizard20//Druid20??? That would seem to me to be the ultimate gish type. Turn into a dire celestial dragon atropal thing and full attack and have 2 PC's worth of full casting to fall back on, plus an animal companion!

Also, Sorcerer20//Rogue20 could be fun too. No optimization required to make an acid splash deal 10d6 extra dice :smallcool: I made a similar build but really cranked up the Sneak Attack (and no gestalt) so I ended up with 17 or 18d6 added to 0-level spells and epic casting :smalleek:

Keld Denar
2008-10-23, 11:38 AM
Your suggestion won't work Keld. The OP specifically states that only the first class can have a gestalt benefit. You can't just claim it to be fixed as a normal gestalt. :smallfrown:

I guess I misunderstood the instructions. I thought that one side had to be straight classed, but the other could be multiclassed? I'm confuzzled now. Meh, not the first time, certainly won't be the last.

Talya
2008-10-23, 11:45 AM
What you probably want is to go with the early gestalt as long as possible, about 10 levels, then pick a dual progression PRC for the non-gestalt portion.