PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever turned in a party member for a bounty?

kladams707
2008-10-23, 11:50 AM
Now, have you ever turned in a paladin party member for a bounty?

That happened in a 2nd ed. game I was in.

How he got the bounty (it's a bit of a long story for background purposes and anecdotal reasons). The guy was trying to see how far he could go before who lost his paladinhood? -ship? And the DM was rather flexible, and in the end he never did lose the class.

We had a homebrewed "god" take interest in us who also happened to be the queen of Evermeet's husband. He actually gave the paladin a written note saying he had permission to try and seduce the queen. Anyway, the god for some reason transported us to Evermeet (why, I can't remember, but I must say that was awkward for everyone including my Dwarf). Anyway, we meet the queen and are told to tread carefully. Of course the paladin opens his mouth and gets in trouble. He receives fair warning. Keep in mind that the dwarf hung around he paladin for entertainment. I suggested the next day that Sal Teane (paladin) apologize, knowing full well the hilarity that would ensue.

So the paladin and I went to the courtroom. I sit down, the paladin approaches, makes his apology, and the queen accepts. Then Sal states "Now, if you would permit me I would like to call 'kneel to me *censored*...I said kneel f...!" and is then transported by the "god" out of the courtroom. Knowing better than to stay, I run out. It comes time for us to leave, and the queen tells us of the bounty, telling us if he sets foot here again, he's dead.

Well, nothing happens for a bit, and then our wizard gets into trouble. We wake up in our wagon one morning, and get a letter. The wizard reads it, but fails to do anything else. He starts screaming believing he's on fire. And while everyone's distracted, I tell the paladin we should just leave them (thinking that the wizard is deranged). He agrees, but the horses aren't attached. By the time Zed is "put out", the horses are attached. But not in time for us to get on and go. Luckily nobody noticed I was the one that encouraged the paladin. Zed tries to kill the pally after Sal is knocked out. Remembering the bounty, I wound zed (who tries to sleep me, fails). I then remind him of this bounty, figuring if we're going to kill the paladin, we might as well get the full amount possible. Well, we stuff him still alive into an empty ale barrel, arcane lock it, and w/ only a little trouble from our prisoner we get him to the next town where we collect our huge bounty.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-10-23, 11:57 AM
Never a bounty specifically but my players have, on two seperate occations, sold or traded party members.

First was a half-orc who pissed off an orc tribe. It was meant to be a test of my player's loyality to each other and boy did they fail. First words from the Cleric: "So if we give them the orc, we can just leave?" Then the Wizard had the bright idea to barter, see if they could get some stuff from the orcs in exchange. They managed to barter a masterwork double axe in exchange for their half-orc barbarian.

The Sorcerer they just plain sold to a half-dragon slave trader. Waited til the guy went to sleep than tied him up, tossed him in a bag, and sold him for a coupla hundred GP.

Morty
2008-10-23, 12:00 PM
Well, none of my group has ever done that, but I have no doubt my fellow players would do this without second thought. The only thing that stops them is the fact that our whole group are wanted criminals in four countries so they'd be taken as well.

chiasaur11
2008-10-23, 12:02 PM
I used ghost sound once to try to get the rest of the party to kill the cleric.

I, rightly, got kicked out of the group afterwards, and apologized.

Still, fun.

FMArthur
2008-10-23, 12:05 PM
Well, none of my group has ever done that, but I have no doubt my fellow players would do this without second thought. The only thing that stops them is the fact that our whole group are wanted criminals in four countries so they'd be taken as well.

I've been in the same situation, and that didn't stop our rogue from trying it anyway. The rogue didn't have a very good time stuck in a cell with the four people he betrayed. :smallwink:

kladams707
2008-10-23, 12:06 PM
Yeah, we're lucky the queen didn't make us guilty by association.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-23, 12:08 PM
Never for a bounty, but my LG Paladin-esque(diff system) did lead the arrest of a party member for being a psychopathic serial killer, and heartily approved of the execution(day-long impaling). That was a fun session.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-10-23, 01:56 PM
Never, although it may happen yet since I'm currently DMing a two-player campaign with a very responsible Cleric who has an eye on acquiring a high place in society, and a (literally) psychopathic Draconic Elf Monk who considers herself an "agent of chaos" and picks fights with monsters or the toughest NPCs she can find just for fun.

I'm.... keeping them in the wilderness for a few adventures. >_>

Sinfire Titan
2008-10-23, 05:01 PM
While none of the ones I thought of are Paladin-specific, one of my characters (Teifling Barbarian) was turned in by the party's necromancer (Wiz 3/Cleric 4/True Necro 2) for looting the corpse of an imperial guard (having their armor without being one of them is illegal, and their armor has 2-inch thick gold plates as decoration, which I planned on pawning off).

Later on in that same campaign, the necromancer was turned in by another party member when he refused to cooperate with the party. They didn't want to kill him themselves, so one of the others just turned him into the same guards. The karmic death was utterly unbearable, and I spent the rest of the night laughing whenever someone mentioned his character's name.

arguskos
2008-10-23, 05:11 PM
I turned in the party halfling, for burning down a hamlet (well, most of the hamlet anyways). That was unpleasant at the table, but really, my character just could not let that fly (NG elven wizard), so I had to turn him in. He was later executed. >_>

I was later turned in by that player's next character, on less-than-solid evidence. Basically, my character had done a few things that were debatable as to their legality, though I was fairly sure that selling a gelatinous cube isn't really illegal, per say, just not an endearing action (in my defense, it was sell it to someone, or let it loose in the wild, since we decided not to kill it). The DM eventually sided with me on this one, though I did lose all of my equipment (7th level gear, all gone to pay for my legal defense, I was displeased :smallannoyed:).

-argus

Swordguy
2008-10-23, 05:11 PM
I've played Paranoia...some might say that turning in party members is the entire point of the game.

arguskos
2008-10-23, 05:12 PM
I've played Paranoia...some might say that turning in party members is the entire point of the game.
That's cheating. :smalltongue:

-argus

Hal
2008-10-23, 05:21 PM
Sort of. I was actually playing a Paladin and our party was accused of the murder of some loose relative of the city mayor (who just happened to try to backstab us while we were taking down a smuggling ring).

Since we were being hunted by the city guard throughout the city, I turned myself in in the hopes of buying time for the rest of the party to figure out a solution, or perhaps gain some leniency. I'm a paladin, after all. Why would I kill a man for no reason and retain my powers?

My DM was not so accommodating. The guards threw me into prison with no promise of a trial and couldn't give two coppers what I called myself.

I really didn't care for that DM. His campaign had no direction, he rarely planned any sort of encounters out, gave us no direction in how to explore his setting, and usually butchered any encounters. Non-combat encounters had one solution that he had in mind, while combat encounters were typically way overpowered.

SurlySeraph
2008-10-23, 06:18 PM
In an Underdark campaign, I played an elf paladin. The rogue sold me to the Drow.

Mr Pants
2008-10-23, 06:27 PM
Kinda.

Our party bard was arrested for involuntary manslaughter, so we busted him out. Long story short I wound up with a 15,000gp price on my head and the bard had 10,000. Our cleric, who was posing as a cleric of St Cuthbert, turned us in for some extra coin and then we busted out again.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-23, 06:30 PM
I always play in games where the characters have non-clashing (at least not heavily) personalities and goals, so this has yet to happen. However, if another player did something my character really disapproves of (murder someone in an otherwise good party, for example), I'd turn him in to the authorities in an instant. Or kill him myself, if that fails.

DigoDragon
2008-10-24, 07:38 AM
I've had a player stupidly turn himself in. He knew he was wanted by this one nation and his infamy was pretty well known, but after a while of no one chasing him down or following him he went to the local constable and ask if he was still wanted.

Sure enough he was.
The end.

streakster
2008-10-24, 08:30 AM
Yup, I have. Then you break them out, split the reward, and turn them in again.

Good times.

Fiery Diamond
2008-10-24, 08:40 AM
Not exactly, but the group I DM for did accept money for "killing" a party member.

He was a rogue/assassin who had single-handedly destroyed about a third of a noble's mini-castle by using a Quaal's Feather Token Tree, and then beat up the noble and jumped a couple stories down using the noble as a shield, and proceeded to break into the vault. The noble offered to pay handsomely for eliminating the rogue, and the party obliged...sort of. They pretended to kill him and really smuggled him out, still accepting the gold. It was a great session.

-Fiery Diamond

kladams707
2008-10-24, 09:08 AM
"Yup, I have. Then you break them out, split the reward, and turn them in again."

Let's just say in our case, the player had to make a new character.

streakster
2008-10-24, 09:16 AM
"Yup, I have. Then you break them out, split the reward, and turn them in again."

Let's just say in our case, the player had to make a new character.

Ah, I was answering the thread title.

It was a chaotic party - ostensibly neutral, but we had quite a bounty on our heads. This was a nice moneymaker.

Toliudar
2008-10-24, 09:30 AM
In one our current PbP campaigns here, the DM had multiple groups going in the same campaign world. One group was hired by an amoral mucky-muck to capture this guy and return him to our home city - not knowing that the same guy was a PC in another of the campaigns.

Now, after several mergings and remergings of the groups, two of us who remain from our original group are working alongside the guy we were supposed to be collecting a bounty on, in order to save the world from the return of a demon god etc. etc. The kicker is that the guy is being (beautifully) played as a supercilious prick. So that even the good-aligned members of the group would be unlikely to stop the rest of us from going ahead and collecting the bounty once the save-the-world threat is out of the way. Not that we're likely to do that - somehow, I've grown too fond of the guy.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 10:08 AM

This reminds me of a certain episode of Avatar.

Duke of URL
2008-10-24, 10:09 AM
A party member? No.

An actual player? Well...

Thank you, friend citizen, for your devotion to duty in service of the Computer. Your loyalty will be duly noted and remembered. However, the Computer also notices that you are behind on paying fines associated with certain recent activities and requests that you loyally report yuorself to the nearest debriefing and execution center.

snoopy13a
2008-10-24, 10:15 AM
A party member? No.

An actual player? Well...

Next up on the Dog the Bounty Hunter:

Dog inflitrates a Dungeons and Dragons game to take down a fugitive!

For everyone who has had a party member turn on them or another player, were there any OOC reprecussions such as perhaps fist-fights?

bosssmiley
2008-10-24, 10:42 AM

"You're not cleared to know the entire point of the game citizen. Are you sure you're not a Commie Mutant Traitor?"

Turning in party members: WFRP, Cyberpunk2020, Shadowrun, Fading Suns, Mutant Chronicles, Werewolf:the Shedding, HoL...

Blackfang108
2008-10-24, 11:04 AM
As my current 4e character is the only PC with a bounty in any game i've played, NO.

One of them tried once, but he's dead now.

the worst part is, I didn't even commit the crime I'm wanted for.

I missed the guy, and then our Goblin Rogue eviscerated him.

And the bounty was put up by a guy who tried to execute me. (Thank the Raven Queen for Fey Step.) Because I found out he's trying to usurp the current King.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:12 AM
our party had a "CN' guy. We see his poster on the wall, we hit him in the head and drop him off. Got good money

A less nastry example is when we turned a party in for money, they broke him out at night
from
EE