PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever picked a class and stuck with it?

Terrace
2008-10-23, 09:50 PM
Before they even started playing their first D&D game, I mean. I'm talking about those people who only play one class for all of their characters during all of their games. (all of them are Rouges, for example)

Personally, I think I'm one of those people, myself. I love the idea of Fighters.

starwoof
2008-10-23, 10:00 PM
Not me certainly, but I know a guy who 'only' plays barbarians. As an added bonus he always plays the ugliest race available, usually a half-orc. We let him play a goliath once but he totally steamrollered over all of the monsters. Strangely when he played an ogre it was a lot more fun for all involved.:smallsmile:

For the longest time the only class I really played was fighters. I usually end up playing a rogue or wizard nowadays, but fighter is still my favorite class.

valadil
2008-10-23, 10:06 PM
I know people who only play a certain role, but they usually attempt that role over a variety of classes.

Personally I like playing everything. The only exceptions to that are that I always play a ranger or outdoorsy type on my first foray into a new system and that I often get pigeon-holed into playing a caster. The latter is not by choice, it's just something that happens when everyone else would rather tank.

Nohwl
2008-10-23, 10:13 PM
im almost always a healer in any game i play. in d&d its not one specific class, but im usually a divine caster. (over half of the characters ive played.) its the first class i try in any game (in d&d my first character was a cleric).

starwoof
2008-10-23, 10:14 PM
I know people who only play a certain role, but they usually attempt that role over a variety of classes.

Ooh ooh! That's me! I'm always the party leader. The aforementioned barbarian is my mook!:smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-23, 10:15 PM
Frankly, I always play some kind of basher with a twist in games I stick with. Paladins, duskblades, barbarians...fighter-mage dual/multiclass is my favorite playing AD&D videogames. Etc.

I also have a bad habit of taking the party leader spot. Even when my character isn't really suited for it (but in that case, hilarity usually ensues.)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-23, 10:22 PM
There aren't many classes worth sticking with. Personally I've played a single-classed Begiler, a Druid, and a Dread Necromancer. Each was probably more fun/easier than coming up with and leveling through a multiclass/PrC build.

FMArthur
2008-10-23, 10:30 PM
I really enjoy playing all of the roles. Not all at the same time, but I like each of them enough that if I stick to one thing for too long, I'll start wanting to play another. Because of this, my characters have had a very high mortality/ride off into the sunset rate for the sole purpose of introducing a new character to play. This is the primary reason for my love of the Chameleon, and changelings too. I don't have to ditch my current character to start playing a new class anymore. :smallbiggrin:

Unfortunately, I don't think many other games have a class like the Chameleon, and in the case of video games, I generally fill up all of my save file slots with the most wildly different character concepts so that I can play one at any time.

Temp.
2008-10-23, 10:36 PM
One player in my group does this and it annoys the hell out of everyone else. I suppose it's not so much that he always plays the same class as it is that he always plays the same character. But it's easy to blame the Ranger class.

I know I tend to go for a particular role--the MacGyver, I suppose: I always build characters to be the group's problem-solver. This means I tend to play Bards, Unseen Seers, Factotums, Rogues, Archivists, Chameleons--anything that provides a character with the ability to get the party out of whatever binds it might fall into.

Beside Ranger McGee, the rest of my group seems to move roles around: shifting leadership roles, combat roles and personality niches from game to game.

An Enemy Spy
2008-10-23, 10:43 PM
I like to play classes that stay away from the front line (combat dice are a fickle friend!). I enjoy Rogues, Bards and Sorcerers because I hate preparing spells.

Xyk
2008-10-23, 10:45 PM
I have one player who almost invariably plays a Gnome Rogue, but nobody minds the sameness because he's so good at it, and easily the most fun player at any game.

Fan
2008-10-23, 10:46 PM
I ALWAYS play a wizard past lvl 5, and below I either play a War blade, or a Lion totem barbarian.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-23, 10:52 PM
Enjoy winning much, do you?

monty
2008-10-23, 11:08 PM
No one class, but I'm usually the party face/leader. In D&D, I nearly always have high charisma, and tend to play classes that utilize high charisma (or wizards, because then I can always charm/dominate anybody who doesn't fall for me right away). In mumorepigs, I'm usually the healer, because then if people don't listen to me, I can just let them die.

Fan
2008-10-23, 11:09 PM
Enjoy winning much, do you?
I almost never win in my groups actually, and in my Mage OWOD games I'm usually the first one to die... repatedly.... now we know why Fan optimizes folks. To help himself feel better for being a worse one then everyone he games with.

TakeV
2008-10-23, 11:15 PM
I tend to play gods, either via Nobilis, or ascending to deityhood at level 12 due to a GM putting forth a plot device without considering my mastery of the xanatos gambit. :P

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-23, 11:16 PM
Mmm, I enjoy all the roles. I perhaps play warrior and divine types more often than arcane and rogue types, but I would never want to stick to one concept in a game with as many possibilities as DnD 3.5.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-23, 11:18 PM
I played a ranger from 1-20 in 3.0.
I played an elf from 1-20 in BECMI
He walked uphill in the snow.
He walked to his adventures barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, and he was proud of his +1 longsword that he was lucky to find.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-23, 11:19 PM
i like rogues but im trying to branch out.... all those hours of playing thief are hhard to shake off

Kroy
2008-10-23, 11:19 PM
Ranger through and through. No matter what weird variants I use, I always either have Ranger in the class name (Sword Ranger Variant), or at least the basic concept underneath it all.

FMArthur
2008-10-23, 11:24 PM
Heh, this reminds me of a player who I gamed with for a year and a half who always picked a Rogue and always tried to rob everyone blind. This meant that nobody could even consider choosing a class without Spot and Sense Motive as class skills. Was the only case where one person affected the group's character decisions so much. It's amusing to think of it now, but damn if it wasn't a pain in the ass. The only person without Spot and Sense Motive woke up in a well ass-naked after turning his back on the Rogue in the middle of a crowded street in broad daylight.

Bassikpoet
2008-10-23, 11:26 PM
I always tend to play the charismatic fighter. Swashbuckler and Duskblade as well as a CW samurai. Yes, I know.

amanamana
2008-10-23, 11:35 PM
One friend of mine told me of a guy who always used the same character in Werewolf games. I mean: the guy would just erase the name of the character and write a new one in case he had to change character, due to its death or a different game starting!:smalleek:

I usually play characters with high intelligence, be its class/role whichever it is. And sometimes I play really stupid ones to... just don't like going with the average mind. Besides that, I like playing any kind of character.:smallsmile:

JaxGaret
2008-10-23, 11:42 PM
I always play different characters when it comes to character creation. Class selection may overlap for some of them, but that has no bearing on the character itself.

charl
2008-10-23, 11:54 PM
I've played pretty much everything, from half-demented priest (in the original DnD, my first character and game ever), drunk dwarf, monks, fighters, wizards of all races imaginable, and moving away from DnD I have played so many different types of characters in my WoD games that I was the go-to guy for temporarily taking control of NPCs in games I wasn't a regular player in, and whenever a new game was forming where I would actually be the player, the others in my group (who always played homocidal strong-guy/creepy death-guy, super-sexy male model/slutty-but-innocent girl, cynical old man or smart geeky student guy/actual innocent teen girl respectively) it was pretty much my job to fill whatever gaps in skills and character that was needed in the game.

And now I haven't played in literally years. =/

Solaris
2008-10-24, 12:31 AM
I played a ranger from 1-20 in 3.0.
I played an elf from 1-20 in BECMI
He walked uphill in the snow.
He walked to his adventures barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, and he was proud of his +1 longsword that he was lucky to find.

I played a human fighter in AD&D up to level ten.
He walked to his adventures barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, barefoot. He found a +1 broad sword and kept that sucker until the day he died. Only non-potion item he ever got or needed.

I still play fighters, too. Basically the same character - or descendents of the original character.

arguskos
2008-10-24, 12:47 AM
I basically always play a utility caster of some variety, typically Int-based, and mostly Wizard or Archivist. I just love having the options inherent to these styles of classes. Also, I never outgrew elves. Why, I'm not sure. Just never did.

-argus

charl
2008-10-24, 01:39 AM
I basically always play a utility caster of some variety, typically Int-based, and mostly Wizard or Archivist. I just love having the options inherent to these styles of classes. Also, I never outgrew elves. Why, I'm not sure. Just never did.

-argus

That is one of the few things I've never played. An elf. Unless WoD Changelings count (certain types may, in a cynical, gothic-angsty kind of WoD way).

RTGoodman
2008-10-24, 01:53 AM
I almost NEVER play the same character or class unless the first iteration of him/her/it only saw a session or two. However, almost all of my gaming groups have been riddled with people that won't even LOOK at other characters or classes. One guy always played a Rogue, one always a Rogue or Warlock, one a Cleric (but mostly just a fighter with a light-up mace), one an Elf Ranger (seriously - EVERY time), one an Elf anime character (i.e., he wouldn't play a character that wasn't a rip-off of one of three or so anime characters, mostly utilizing Sorcerer, Monk, or Soulknife or some combination thereof), and so on and so on.

Zen Master
2008-10-24, 02:02 AM
Before they even started playing their first D&D game, I mean. I'm talking about those people who only play one class for all of their characters during all of their games. (all of them are Rouges, for example)

Personally, I think I'm one of those people, myself. I love the idea of Fighters.

Guy I know? He picked a character and stuck with it. He will be called different things in various campaigns - but basically, he's the same wizard, over and over again.

And ... he's Raistlin. :smalleek:

Makes me want to cry.

Cheesegear
2008-10-24, 03:47 AM
I like stealth characters. My first ever character was a 2nd Ed Half-Elf Ranger. He was great. Dual-Wielded morning stars. I've always been quite pleased with him.

Anyways, here's something I whipped up after I read this thread.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/Cheesegear/BadPlayers.jpg

I also thought about doing The Doctor, but, to insult him would be soul-shattering.

charl
2008-10-24, 03:49 AM
Different name, same character would probably be even more fitting.

Prustan
2008-10-24, 04:31 AM
My first character is always a Paladin. Second characters depended on Edition and my own feelings - in 2nd my second character was usually a Mage/Cleric, while 3.5 varied, Monks, Mages, Fighters, Clerics. Never a Ranger though, and not often a Rogue (all characters mentioned here are for CRPGs, as I've only managed to play one Paladin PnP). I'm always tinkering around with different characters though, usually some kind of super-powered single-class character that I can never get the chance to play.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-24, 07:06 AM
I am a adventurer of class. I have to try each one:
I've tried a Barb, a Druid (before most of splats so he was good but not as excellant as he would be now; early 3.0), Rogue, Wilder, Bard, Fighter (only in 2.0), Warlock, and an artificer.

Blackfang108
2008-10-24, 03:49 PM
I was like that for a while when I started.

My first two characters were Barbarians. Half-orc and Neraphim.

Then I decided to try Noble in a Dragonlance Campaign.

Then I discovered Duskblade. and loved it.

In 4e, I'm loving Warlord, but trying Warlock and Cleric in two different One shots. (one's tomorrow. I have no emotional attachment to that character. DM's a fan of SAW.)

EDIT: in one campaign, we are playing as expys of ourselves. Group Consensus put 20 Duskblade/2 Fighter as my class, due to my Int and Str Scores.

D Knight
2008-10-24, 04:36 PM
since i have joined a group i have been the healer because if it was not for me most of them would die a slow and painful death but with me they die fast or not at all. so them i am there god.

late for dinner
2008-10-24, 05:12 PM
I have been a fighter in almost every game I have played and by fighter I mean

Starwars: Wookie Soldier, Bothan Bounty Hunter, Sullustian Soldier
D&D: Gnome Barbarian, Gnome Barbarian, Shield Fighter (I wanted to be captain america So I took ranks in martial arts and shield bash and stuff...)
Exalted: Sky pirate swashbuckler

I am in a 4e game right now that I have took on the role of Gnome Wizard Controler (sleep spells and make the badguys fall down so our fighter can hack away spells, ballsy change the color of the bad guys clothes prestidigitation in the middle of battle just to make my party mad...spells, Freezing spells...you get the picture) I absolutly love it and he is by far my favorite character I have ever done. I think its because it requires me to do something other than fight a monster.

Studoku
2008-10-24, 05:15 PM
I usually play as some sort of fighter/mage.

Thurbane
2008-10-24, 07:09 PM

I have a friend (and current member of my gaming group) who, since 1E, has basically only ever played Thieves/Rogues...:smallbiggrin:

tahu88810
2008-10-24, 07:13 PM
My brother always plays elves or half-elves.
Its because he wants to play something human-like but that isn't human. I believe he's plays changelings from time to time as well.

OzymandiasVolt
2008-10-24, 08:02 PM
Straight classes never seem to fit my character concepts.

nargbop
2008-10-24, 10:21 PM
Straight Factotum makes a good skillmonkey mechanically; lots of skill points and Intelligence-based class abilities.

The most pertinent of these allows you to add a once-per-day bonus equal to your Factotum level to a skill check, once for each skill. That is to say, a lvl 10 Factotum has 13 ranks, a +10 bonus, ability modifiers, magic modifiers, random modifiers, and the d20 roll all added up together. The Factotum has surges of incredible skill and surety, but is quickly spent.

I played an engineer-slash-world-teacher who, at level 12, routinely got 40s on skill checks. It was fun.

<edited for quite reasonable censorship of Latin word for "with">

Demons_eye
2008-10-24, 10:59 PM
I love to play monk types cuz they are so fun! fast speed hiting things with your fist and some times I go into the hulk role.

Vortling
2008-10-24, 11:07 PM
I tend to be all over with my character selections so I can't say I've stuck with anything. However I tend to stay away from arcane casters from some reason that I have yet to determine.

Edan
2008-10-24, 11:13 PM
As much as I love the win factor of full casters I just tend to not like all the book keeping it requires. So i tend to fall into support roles, played bard a lot then found the beguiler (yeah full caster, but limited list). I still like spontaneous casters so I don't have to micro as much. Favored Soul, Sorc, etc. Although when I be fighter I prefer the light footed type that usually involves a swashbuckler 3 dip.

Eclipse
2008-10-24, 11:17 PM
I've played every class in core, but having said that, I've only ever played the full casters, bard, and monk in more than one game. I typically stick with a sorcerer or cleric, since I'm a sucker for spellcasters, then worry about prestige classes later. I'm totally willing to try new things when it comes to personality and such, but I'll only stray from playing spellcasters when I've been playing one for awhile and want to try something different.

I might try a Tome of Battle character sometime though if I land in a game where a DM will let me, since they look very cool and seem to have a much larger array of options than the typical melee class. Of course, I'll home right in on an unarmed swordsage, but that's beside the point. At least it's a melee class. :smalltongue:

Incidentally, I guess that means my answer to the original question is no, but I do favor a couple.

Inhuman Bot
2008-10-24, 11:19 PM
I don't *always* pick it, but 9/10 times I'am playing a Favored soul. If not, it's a babrbarian or a rouge (rogue?) normally.

charl
2008-10-25, 01:41 AM
I don't *always* pick it, but 9/10 times I'am playing a Favored soul. If not, it's a babrbarian or a rouge (rogue?) normally.

Rogue. Rouge is French for the color red, and also a type of make-up.

Kantolin
2008-10-25, 02:13 AM
I've played a number of pure classes. Fighter, Cleric, and Paladin most frequently.

Dogmantra
2008-10-25, 05:20 AM
Not really... though I do tend to play spontaneous casters because I find melee a little boring and prepared casting gets annoying, since you have to track too many spells. I probably play favoured souls the most.

Zenos
2008-10-25, 05:23 AM
Whenever I am not the DM (which is rare. :smallmad:), I almost always play some kind of bard, doing illusions or charms.

Triaxx
2008-10-25, 05:27 AM
Sorcerors. I've played the same reflavored sorceror in over a dozen games. Triaxx always ends up pwning the lesser beings (Wizards).

I've also played Gorg the Barbarian several times. He's fun, and funny.

TempesT
2008-10-25, 07:52 AM
Hmmmm, well most of the time I end up being a divine(or any other class with healing abilities).

Other than that I generaly play a Fighter/Rouge/ShadowDancer.

So no i haven't realy stuck with a class.

Yahzi
2008-10-25, 01:43 PM
I'm talking about those people who only play one class for all of their characters during all of their games. (all of them are Rouges, for example)
I almost always play Clerics, because they are the natural leaders of D&D society.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-25, 01:48 PM
One of my players has not yet played a D&D game in which she is anything other than a rogue.

Wih
2008-10-25, 04:33 PM
Currently playing a single-classed Crusader, is working quite well. Have been known to playsingle-classed Fighters, and Wizards...but most of the time being limited in mechanics makes building the character less fun - hard to play something over the top when you're limited in your resources. Sometimes (or in my case, most of the time) there's something you want your character to do or have done that just can't be done with a single-classed character.

Salty
2008-10-25, 05:37 PM
One of my players always plays as a dwarf cleric who worships Thor. He used to play a dwarf barbarian who worships Thor, but he soon switched to a cleric. And I'm not kidding. I taught him how to play, and he has never played as a different character.

AlexanderRM
2008-10-25, 06:32 PM
One friend of mine told me of a guy who always used the same character in Werewolf games. I mean: the guy would just erase the name of the character and write a new one in case he had to change character, due to its death or a different game starting!:smalleek:

I think I'll probably do that if I'm ever working on a build I really want to "complete"... or at least get to a certain point. Like, say, maybe if I'm trying for a Mystic Theurge and die before I actually become one. The obvious issue with that is that a lot of the theoretical builds I've come up with involve epic progression and/or really high levels, and, in one case (my general game-winner spellcaster) becoming a god after... let's just not talk about it.

I still play fighters, too. Basically the same character - or descendents of the original character.

Descendants of the original character? I absolutely must remember that something... it'd be incredibly interesting to play as the child/grandchild/sibling/cousin of your previous character (though the former two would require a reasonably high starting age... I'm thinking elf with this one), whether or not they used the same class. I could totally see myself going on a quest to get my father (who was my previous character) raised from the dead... I wonder which one I would play as after. :smallconfused:

Qanael
2008-10-25, 06:36 PM
Rogue, for a long time. I'm playing a Wizard now.

Drider
2008-10-26, 03:43 AM
In MMORPG's, I'm usually happiest either being a tank, a healer, or some combination. But in tabletop games, I am happy playing anything, or DMing.

Arogan
2008-10-26, 05:13 AM
I haven't played anything other than a fighter in many years now.