PDA

View Full Version : Choose Your Own Adventure (Planning/Discussion Thread!)

Mustiado
2008-10-23, 10:16 PM
Game Masters: Mustiado, Alarra
Schedule: MondayTuesday, Thursday, Sunday Updates!

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I hope to bring to you this evening what we can describe as different experience.

When we were small, everyone read and played "Choose Your Own Adventure!" books, yes? (Heretofor known as CYOA). Good. I invite you all on a quest. A journey. A task of epic proportions!

A Choose Your Own Adventure. With Friends.

The Game is simple. We shall assemble as a group. I shall begin the story on Halloween(tm.) From that point, on we shall choose our own adventure.

Okay, without all the grandiose plans behind it.

I want this to be as close to a choose your own adventure game as it can be. I also want this to be a collabrative story between everyone participating, down to the name of the main character, and his chosen profession. That'll actually be the first thing we're deciding on. The point here is to create.

We'll still vote. Each day, I'll leave suggested actions, and you all are free to vote on which you feel is most appropriate. Much like corridors, this will determine the next step in the story. Unlike Corridors, however, very few will lead to instant death. I'd like for this game to grow. Also, players are free to submit their own ideas! If enough folks decide it's a good idea, it'll be the one to go ahead!

This isn't going to be my game, or yours. It's going to be ours. And I hope for it to be a lot of fun. :smallbiggrin:

So get to registering! The world awaits you! (tm.) (I really need to learn how to do the little ASCII tm symbol.)

Players:28Helgraf
xNadia
Iceddragons
Shadowcaller
Tempest Fennac
Jontom Xire
Indurain
Griever
Hap_Hazard
Raiser_B1ade
Selrahc
Saint Nil
Murska
Someonenonotyou
MrEdwardNigma
The_Rogue_Monk
Supagoof
Vegetalss4
Hero 1.0
Istari
Mordokai
Uncle Festy
FF Fanboy
Bayar
Lizard Lord
Reinholdt
Catseye2121
Dr.Bath

Helgraf
2008-10-24, 12:21 AM
Interest evinced! Doodle me in.

Nychta
2008-10-24, 12:23 AM
In, with no accompanying witty text!

Hyozo
2008-10-24, 12:35 AM
I'm interested.

Shadowcaller
2008-10-24, 01:59 AM
I must be in this one.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-24, 02:14 AM
May I join as well please? I'm guessing we'll all be voting to control 1 character, right? I miss those gamebooks, even if they were often annoying due to having ridiculously specific paths to the good ending.

Jontom Xire
2008-10-24, 02:19 AM
Awesome idea. Definitely in.

I would suggest though that you plot all the choices several steps in advance to avoid the temptation to meddle if things turn out other than how you like.

I'd also like it if our character had stats and there was dice rolling etc for battles. When reading the books as a kid I could never be bothered to keep track of little things like hit points etc. and just assumed I won every battle automatically. I always wondered how it might have changed the story. It'd be nice to put the character sheet in the first post and keep it updated.

Lastly, do we have to just have one character? We could potentially have a full party of adventurers, use the full D&D ruleset, etc. etc. If a character dies then we could later weave a new character into the game. Have adventure after adventure. It would be just like the games in the RP forums, except that we'd be deciding character actions as a group and making more generic decisions rather than delving into the minutiae of every round (which is what bogs a PBEM/PBBB game down).

And because this game is about creating not winning, we're not competing against each other, there's no reason why players shouldn't join or leave the game as they wish. Do we need a player list?

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-24, 02:57 AM
I like the idea of using stats. It could get confusing if we had a party, but having the option of using, for instance, a warrior, thief or a mage would have an interresting effect on how the game is played.

Indurain
2008-10-24, 03:18 AM
I still have a bunch of CYOA books somewhere...I was an addict.

Naturally, I'm in.

Griever
2008-10-24, 03:26 AM
In with pike. Hybrid of pie and cake.

hap_hazard
2008-10-24, 04:23 AM
In. :smallbiggrin:

Raiser Blade
2008-10-24, 04:51 AM
In. I like the stats idea

Nychta
2008-10-24, 05:00 AM
Stats could be fun!

Selrahc
2008-10-24, 07:08 AM
*Debates on whether to join up*

*Joins up*

Saint Nil
2008-10-24, 07:23 AM
I loved CYOA books, I still have them.
*joins in*
Curse you for addicting me to the forums again!

Murska
2008-10-24, 08:08 AM
In! Also, the ™ is made by using alt+1253. Yes, I knew that when I was 7. :smallbiggrin:

someonenonotyou
2008-10-24, 08:13 AM
i ll try join me in

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-24, 08:18 AM
This thread smells of awesome. I'm in.

TRM
2008-10-24, 10:24 AM
In, whether or not you're already full up.

Mustiado
2008-10-24, 11:02 AM
Okay, to answer a few questions:

Tempest Fennac: In all liklihood, we'll all be controlling one character. While I have no problem with picking up companions as the story moves along, I feel it would be more likely that they would be a reactive force to the main character, as opposed to someone we control directly.

JX: I like the idea of stats. I'm not sure how many actual battles will be taking place (there will be some), but if we're going to do stats, HP will probably be one left out. I'd hate for us to be rolling along very well with this, and then have to stop because we took one too many shots to the jaw in a bar brawl. That'd give me that temptation to change fate, as you were talking about earlier.

Also, I gave some brief consideration to running this as a party, with perhaps people who wanted to join splitting off into teams and going from there. That, however, smacked a bit too much of D&D for me, and while I have no problem with it, I just don't know hardly anything about it. The last source book I bought was The Book of Artifacts, and it was because there was a semi-nude woman on the cover. I was 13. I'd hate to start a highly technical campaign and then have everyone realize I wouldn't know what I was doing.

As far as the player list goes, I was hoping to use it to establish a core group of folks who were with the story from the beginning, had a hand in shaping our character, and were going to be sticking around. People are welcome to join and leave as they wish, but it'd be good to know we'd always have a steady subset that was here from day one. Also, Alarra said if this was going to be in Structured Games (where I figured it'd get noticed) that I needed a player list. ?:)

Murska: Thank you, I'll be Taking That Information For My Own (or TTIFMO™)

XenoTherapy
2008-10-24, 11:08 AM
IN!! :biggrin:

Jontom Xire
2008-10-24, 11:14 AM
If the full D&D rules are too much (I fully understand - you don't want to spend all your time rolling dice and checking rules and tables), something massively simplified would do. In fact anything more than 5 stats and about the same amount of rules would be too complex for this.

I figured the party idea was good because that way if a character dies you just recruit another one (a suitable/discreet time later) and carry on. Also it allows a roundedness to the game. If the character is a full on barbarian hero with big sword and he comes across a dying NPC who has an important plot clue he's a bit stuck to heal them and get the clue. So in terms of developing the plot you're stuck to actions that a barbarian hero can perform which limits the creativity. However with a party of warrior, rogue, mage, healer you can have a wider variety of obstacles to overcome which might require a specific talent.

On the other hand you could make it so the character was fully skilled in everything. If he has the bandage or healing potion found earlier he can heal dying NPCs to get plot clues. If he has a lockpick he can pick locks without requiring any actual skill. Ditto magical scrolls and wands. I.e. that actions require an artifact that has to be found earlier, but don't require any skill in using that artifact.

Mustiado
2008-10-24, 11:16 AM
I figured the party idea was good because that way if a character dies you just recruit another one (a suitable/discreet time later) and carry on. Also it allows a roundedness to the game. If the character is a full on barbarian hero with big sword and he comes across a dying NPC who has an important plot clue he's a bit stuck to heal them and get the clue. So in terms of developing the plot you're stuck to actions that a barbarian hero can perform which limits the creativity. However with a party of warrior, rogue, mage, healer you can have a wider variety of obstacles to overcome which might require a specific talent.

If the full D&D rules are too much (I fully understand - you don't want to spend all your time rolling dice and checking rules and tables), something massively simplified would do. In fact anything more than 5 stats and about the same amount of rules would be too complex for this.

Don't worry JX, as we go along, I plan on shaping this story to match our protagonists strengths and weaknessess... I have a few ideas knocking around. :smallwink: Gonna have to trust me on this one.

Supagoof
2008-10-24, 12:22 PM
I see Jontom's point and agree that knowing a little bit about the characters status as he travels along will impact our decisions.

However, once you attach numbers to his status, it does start down the slippery slope of mathmatically figuring out how to make him adventure rather then simply making the choice and letting him go. Kinda like when a WW game goes from players rping to players discussing about who to lynch and why - the story element dissolves. CYOA are for the story IMO. Mustiado should keep the focus there for his own sanity (which as I know it is holding on by a thin string right now at best. :smallbiggrin:)

I have seen something like this work, and work well. Here's a link to Ctrl-Alt-Del webcomic (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080405) where Tim Buckley (the artist) made essentially a choose your own adventure story/comic arc. It was quite fun and enjoyable to read and go along, and I'd imagine this to be the same.

Sign me up to cast votes.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-24, 12:26 PM
Personally I don't think we should go for stats either, but I agree we should somehow create a notion of who the main character is. Judging from Mustiado's posts though, this does seem to be the plan.

vegetalss4
2008-10-24, 12:39 PM
im in
i noticed that i seems to be from a different timezone than the rest of you. so i don't think i can post so often opps i mixed am and pm up agein (it is so much easier over here we just coun to 24 in stead of to 12 twice then shifting from am to pm)

Heroic
2008-10-24, 01:51 PM
Really interested. I'm in!

Istari
2008-10-24, 02:23 PM
In
So JX is suggesting we play Link?:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Mordokai
2008-10-24, 02:34 PM
Hmmm...

I'd join as well, if there is still place for one more.

EDIT: oh yeah, I feel I should stress I never read a single CYOA book.

TRM
2008-10-24, 03:37 PM
Hmmm...

I'd join as well, if there is still place for one more.

EDIT: oh yeah, I feel I should stress I never read a single CYOA book.
Here's a typical page from a Choose Your Own Adventure:

You look at the metal door hopelessly; it's locked. You can hear the howling of wolves coming closer and closer; you can almost feel their hot breath on your neck. Time is running out.

That's when you hear Natasha's scream; she's not going to make it, she's almost 100 meters behind you. You have to choose.

You try to pick the lock: Turn to page 21
You run back to try and help Natasha: Turn to page 145
You head back to attack the werewolves: Turn to page 79.

I would prefer to avoid stats. I think the best option would be to play the character like a free form system: we decide vaguely (or not so vaguely) what they can do, then the narrators tell us what happens based on that and the other pertinent factors.

Helgraf
2008-10-24, 03:40 PM
Ehh, CYOA didn't have stats. Some of the Lone Wolf books and the Tolkien ones did, but they just complicated things mostly.

I don't think we need 'em.

Uncle Festy
2008-10-24, 03:41 PM
Looks kewl.
In!
Oh, and I'd prefer no stats.

Fan
2008-10-24, 03:42 PM
I'm in, but as the only one who wants stats I doubt it will happen. (hopes for 3.5)

Bayar
2008-10-24, 03:42 PM
Interested. Count me in !

Selrahc
2008-10-24, 04:34 PM
Ehh, CYOA didn't have stats. Some of the Lone Wolf books and the Tolkien ones did, but they just complicated things mostly.

I don't think we need 'em.

The ones I played (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Fantasy) did. Just Stamina, Skill and Luck though. It was fairly minimalist.

I'd be in favour of a simple system like that. Or even just a luck score.

I'm in, but as the only one who wants stats I doubt it will happen. (hopes for 3.5)

Even if there were stats, I doubt they'd be from a real RPG system. Way too much work for the narrators!

Alarra
2008-10-24, 05:02 PM
It's perfectly possible for us to establish character traits and the status of our adventurer without assigning numerical statistics to him.

I wouldn't be opposed to using a simple system similar to what Selrahc suggested, but I don't want to actually use a D&D like system.

Lizard Lord
2008-10-24, 05:25 PM
I would like to join this.

Reinholdt
2008-10-24, 06:15 PM
So glad I found this. Yay! In! I was a CYOA addict way back when (read now).

I'd say go for simplistic stats such as what Selrahc suggested but instead of numbers go on a descriptive scale, such as:

poor
average
good

Would be easy enough that way.

Mustiado
2008-10-24, 09:21 PM
I'm glad to see this much participation this early on! It's great to have you guys behind this! :smallbiggrin:

I have yet to consult Alarra on it, but I was actually planning on a combination of the 'stats' systems mentioned here. Nothing so bulky as natural 18s in categories, but something more along the lines of what Selrahc suggested. For example, a typical list of stats may be--

Strength
Agility (mental and physical)
Intellect
Charm
Luck or intuition

Then, you'd have one very good, a few mediocres, and a deficient to put into these categories. They could affect your choices and what actions are available to you, and effective for each situation.

Let's assume that will be the stat system we roll along with (or some variant thereof, assuming Alarra thinks its a good idea), and we'll get some formal voting for or against for the system. I think it'll give a little more fuel to the narrators in some situations, and it might color the game a bit more without making it overly complex.

Also, Vampiric is correct. With each update and new situation, I plan on leaving several suggested actions, as such:

Pluck The Goose.
Let It Pluck Itself.
Find the Duck Instead.

But I'd like to differentiate this a bit from Corridors by saying this now, and as loudly as I can.

Group Created Actions Are Not Only Allowed, They Are Approved Of!

If you guys can come up with a reasonable (or not so reasonable :smalltongue:) alternate course of action and you can convince enough folks of its merits, by all means, take it! I want to encourage as much spontaneity as possible.

A couple small changes: I'm altering the update schedule to Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I failed to realize I didn't leave any time for actions in between Sunday and Monday. Duh.

We now have 26 players, which is terrific! I think that's more than enough of a solid base to go ahead and start creating. With that in mind, I think I can safely say that our first decisions as a group will begin TUESDAY, OCTOBER 28th. This will be the core decisions we're talking about, like Mr.Nigma mentioned, the character's name, his profession, likes and dislikes, etc. This way, the actual story can begin on Halloween, and we can get rolling.
Remember, this in no way shape or form closes recruiting. If you want to be part of this project, by all means, join in! The more the merrier, and we'd love to have you.

My final idea (and possibly the most "This could end bad" one.) With the permission of the folks here in the thread, once we have reached our journey's end, whatever that may be for this story, I'd like for us to submit it to the Serious Writing section of the website, retooled into one narrative with (currently) 28 different authors. Would anyone like to see the condensed, polished version in Arts and Crafts for the rest of the board to see? We'll vote on that as well. :smallsmile:

I know this has been a lot to absorb, and hopefully I haven't frightened anyone off. I'm just really enthusiastic about this, and I hope you all are too. This is going to be good, guys!

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-25, 02:14 AM
I'm fine with it being used for that purpose once it's over. What sort of stats did Tolkin's books use?

TFT
2008-10-25, 02:49 AM
I want to be added to the "in" list.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-25, 05:00 AM
I'm glad to see the huge amounts of enthusiasm here, both is Mustiado and the players. This seems very promising.

Dr. Bath
2008-10-25, 05:19 AM
Oooh! Me! I want to play!

I say that Adventurerman (name subject to change) should wear pantaloons. Purple ones.

@v I vote human!

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-25, 05:21 AM
Will we be able to vote on which race the adventurer is as well?

Selrahc
2008-10-25, 05:25 AM
Either human, or something really exotic. Like a yeti or a sentient boulder person or a dinosaur or something.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-25, 05:29 AM
If we ended up as a stealth-based character, I was going to suggest using a Phanaton due to their small size and gliding ability: http://pandius.com/phanatn2.html .

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-25, 07:58 AM
If we ended up as a stealth-based character, I was going to suggest using a Phanaton due to their small size and gliding ability: http://pandius.com/phanatn2.html .
I'm going to vote a definite no on this. The most fun characters for these things are usually humans.

Purple ones.
Absolutely. Purple is an awesome colour.

vegetalss4
2008-10-25, 08:07 AM
shouldn't we wait until the 28th to vote?

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-25, 08:08 AM
We're not voting. Simply discussing and speculating. We don't even know what to vote for yet.

Murska
2008-10-25, 08:10 AM

I vote we don't wait! REVOLUTION! :smallbiggrin:

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-25, 08:10 AM
I vote we don't wait! REVOLUTION! :smallbiggrin:
Sure, I'll second that.

Mustiado
2008-10-25, 11:11 AM
A little early to be overthrowing me already, Murska. Don't worry, you may get your chance. :smallwink:

In the meantime, feel free to use this as a forum to discuss what you want to see out of the character. Race is one we'll definitely hit on (How un-PC of us!), as well as appearance. Others might include phobias, talents, distinguishing features, whatever you guys feel may be necessary to make a well rounded character. Emphasis on well rounded. We're not going to take Superman for a walk in the park. :smalltongue:

Heroic
2008-10-25, 12:24 PM
In what time will this game run in? I mean, modern, 1800s, Middle Ages, etc?

I vote Middle Ages :smallbiggrin:

Allysian
2008-10-25, 01:19 PM
Oooo, in! I don't understand, but in! :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-25, 01:22 PM
It will work like this, Allysian. We will all be able to vote on what we want the character to do using both pre-set options, or ideas which we can suggest. We'll need to vote on abilities and the character's apperance first, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_fantasy should be useful to you (some of the links contain fan-made adventures).

Allysian
2008-10-25, 01:49 PM
Ooooh,that's cool. Still in!

TRM
2008-10-25, 03:06 PM
A little early to be overthrowing me already, Murska. Don't worry, you may get your chance. :smallwink:

In the meantime, feel free to use this as a forum to discuss what you want to see out of the character. Race is one we'll definitely hit on (How un-PC of us!), as well as appearance. Others might include phobias, talents, distinguishing features, whatever you guys feel may be necessary to make a well rounded character. Emphasis on well rounded. We're not going to take Superman for a walk in the park. :smalltongue:
Can we write our points votes in red? Pleeeease... :smallbiggrin:

Reinholdt
2008-10-25, 03:11 PM
No way. I say we all vote in white. It only makes sense.

TRM
2008-10-25, 03:28 PM
No way. I say we all vote in white. It only makes sense.
I vote No. Grrr. Rarrr! Fury!

Uncle Festy
2008-10-25, 06:18 PM
I vote yes to Purple Pantaloons!!!
Also, I declare an attack on the narrator.

androgial
2008-10-25, 06:31 PM
A join the group
B decline this oportunity and forever be called names and made fun of and otherridiculously ostrasizing activities by the other children in the playground.

if you chose A welcome you may read the next post.
if you chose B *splortch*

ummmmm i choose A

Hyozo
2008-10-25, 09:27 PM

Race: Troll (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllTrollsAreDifferent) (CAUTION: this link goes to TV tropes. You have been warned)
Appearance: Visible.
Phobias: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, Phobophobia. (possibly Stasibasiphobia and Thaasophobia)
Talents: yes.
Distinguishing features: his left hand is slightly larger than his right hand.

Uncle Festy
2008-10-25, 10:08 PM
Race: Troll (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllTrollsAreDifferent) (CAUTION: this link goes to TV tropes. You have been warned)

*stabs for linking him to TVtropes*
*stabs self for ignoring warning*
Aaaargh!

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-26, 11:09 AM
I'm going to vote for a human, preferably a monk or thief, in a medieval setting (somewhat standard fantasy?). He shouldn't be epic in any kind of way (cause that kind of tends to ruin things) and should preferably have some kind of goal, such as rescueing the princess. He doesn't have to be on the good side of the spectrum, though that's fine by me too.

As for phobias, I'd go for somewhat common but not outrageously common things. Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia would be a good and interesting one actually. Fear of snakes would be another good one (think of Indy). Something like that.

As for talents and special abilities, some minor, seemingly useless magical abilities are always fun. The ability to glow in the dark, for example, or being extremely good at tieing and untieing knots, or ventriloquism. Stuff that can only be usefull if it's used smart.

vegetalss4
2008-10-27, 03:59 AM
i propose half elf, theres to few half-elves.
and i think we should make a sneaky type, with just a sprinkle of magic/psionic/Chi/whatever-name-for-something-supernatural-you-want

with phobias i belive that MrEdwardNigmas already has said was needs to be said,
and for talents, the above mentioned sprinkle of magic/psionic/Chi/whatever-name-for-something-supernatural-you-want

Indurain
2008-10-27, 04:33 AM
Fear of snakes would be another good one (think of Indy).

Snakes....why'd it have to be snakes?

Bayar
2008-10-27, 06:37 AM
Meh, I just want to play a catfolk wielding a katana and acting more like a scoundrel (something in the lines of rogue/bard/swashbuckler).

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-27, 06:42 AM
I agree with Bayer about that concept being a good one.

Reinholdt
2008-10-27, 12:57 PM
I'd be partial to a cat person.

Whatever he/she is, they need a classy hat and cape. No protagonist adventurer should be without either. They're essential! Essential I say!

Shadowcaller
2008-10-27, 01:00 PM
A catgirlboy? I don't know...

I rather remain human or maybe some kind of good undead creature...

MrEdwardNigma
2008-10-27, 01:01 PM
A catgirlboy? I don't know...

I rather remain human or maybe some kind of good undead creature...

Seconded. Either one.

Supagoof
2008-10-27, 01:01 PM
No Capes!
http://soundboard.com/memberphoto/456417348456524.jpg

Reinholdt
2008-10-27, 01:02 PM
Ahhh, she doesn't know what she's talking about. What's the point of jumping into danger if you don't look really good doing so?

Besides, capes have practical purposes, too.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-27, 01:04 PM
Catfolk aren't exactly like Cat Boys: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/76978_CN.jpg .

androgial
2008-10-27, 01:07 PM
hehehe and here i was thinking old 2nd ed oriental adventures non typical hero with a built in weakness from the start.....the hisein jin mei

Dr. Bath
2008-10-27, 01:15 PM
Nononono. It's a hobo-suit daahling! You can't be seen out in it.

No. No Khajiit. They are silly and can't wear snazzy shoes. We need to be human. A fairly useless human who can just about survive. (but maybe gets better as the story goes on)

Or as Selrahc said, a dinosaur.

Supagoof
2008-10-27, 01:18 PM
Ahhh, she doesn't know what she's talking about. What's the point of jumping into danger if you don't look really good doing so?

Besides, capes have practical purposes, too.
Yeah, because I'm sooooo against capes. *Looks over to avi.* :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Oh, and Purple FTW!

Bayar
2008-10-27, 01:32 PM
Catfolk aren't exactly like Cat Boys: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/76978_CN.jpg .

Yes, but I was reffering more to catboys in a D&D universe :smallbiggrin:

Nononono. It's a hobo-suit daahling! You can't be seen out in it.

No. No Khajiit. They are silly and can't wear snazzy shoes. We need to be human. A fairly useless human who can just about survive. (but maybe gets better as the story goes on)

Or as Selrahc said, a dinosaur.

Yay for TES ! But the racial stuff more than balances the disability to wear gloves helmets and shoes ! I mean...look at hobbits ! :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Reinholdt
2008-10-27, 01:48 PM
Yeah, because I'm sooooo against capes. *Looks over to avi.* :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Oh, and Purple FTW!

Hmm. There's so many good colours for a cape. But purple can work *nods*.

Dr. Bath
2008-10-27, 01:51 PM
Yes, but I was reffering more to catboys in a D&D universe :smallbiggrin:

Yay for TES ! But the racial stuff more than balances the disability to wear gloves helmets and shoes ! I mean...look at hobbits ! :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Blah blah blah no. I ain't playin' no drug-addled skooma-addicted moggy thief... although that could be kinda interesting.

Psh. We shouldn't be getting anything special. I say we should start as Billy No-mates MacUseless and work our way up to being vaguely competent. That's the most fun way to play. :smallbiggrin:

No. I'll kill our character too often by bringing in logic and physics to the game if they were a Khajiit. And we can't be having with that.

(also: NAH. Gloves helmets and shoes AND loads of abilities is the way to go. I always liked Imperials and Dark Elves, they got the best base stats and abilities)

@^ Purple pantaloons!

Reinholdt
2008-10-27, 01:54 PM
Doesn't have to be a Khajit. Could just have the ears and/or tail. Makes them look sooo cuuute...

Dr. Bath
2008-10-27, 01:57 PM
Then why not be a human? Wearing fake ears with dangley rope hanging behind them like a tail? (I still don't want to do that) It would make us terrifyingly strange to the peasant folk. Much more fun! :smallbiggrin:

Bayar
2008-10-27, 02:02 PM
Yeah, Dark Elves FTW. And Orcs.

On subject: How about having them but only as cosmetics ? You know, they could be very common...cat people.

Reinholdt
2008-10-27, 02:02 PM
Ooohh! Being terrifyingly strange to normal people. I like it (for reasons undisclosed).

I second Bath's idea.

Istari
2008-10-27, 02:16 PM
NINJA!
Seriously ninja catperson would be awsome

Fan
2008-10-27, 02:20 PM
Ninja I would do if it wouldn't be considered the irst thing I would do.
Thus I'm playing an exalted Elven Cleric... maybe a sacred purfier type, or a CODzilla.

Griever
2008-10-27, 02:44 PM
It should be a tree-octopus.

Dr. Bath
2008-10-27, 02:51 PM
Ninja I would do if it wouldn't be considered the irst thing I would do.
Thus I'm playing an exalted Elven Cleric... maybe a sacred purfier type, or a CODzilla.

We're all playing the same character!!!! It's all about the group decisions.

p.s. !!!!!

And personally, I'd rather not fall into anything as prescriptive as a 'Class' can't we just be some guy? Who, if taught specifically to do things, can? (with enough patience and perhaps side-missions)

For example: We go see a wizard and he over a long period of time (spent picking flowers and other such magical tasks, most likely) he will teach us, say, how to conjure some fire BUT THAT'S IT. Unless we spend more time learning something else. Or we go to a fort and get the drill sergeant to teach us some sword fighting techniques. That would be much cooler.

Classes are for schmoes.

androgial
2008-10-27, 03:03 PM
ooooooo light bulb flash how about the giants very own champion class

Supagoof
2008-10-27, 03:04 PM
As for cats...bah!

If the hero is humanoid, make them human. (Generally accepted in most tales of adventure and travel.)

If the hero isn't humanoid, make them as far from humanoid as possible (like Dragons or Aliens). (Obscurity in how does the hero handle things like...opening doors?)

Anything else is just to close (but not at) to make everyone happy. I'd rather this not turn into a CYOA fan-fic.:smallannoyed:

Same for making them a Ninja vs (the inevitable) making them a Pirate debate.

I like Dr. Bath's suggestion for abilities.

Fan
2008-10-27, 03:07 PM
We're all playing the same character!!!! It's all about the group decisions.

p.s. !!!!!

And personally, I'd rather not fall into anything as prescriptive as a 'Class' can't we just be some guy? Who, if taught specifically to do things, can? (with enough patience and perhaps side-missions)

For example: We go see a wizard and he over a long period of time (spent picking flowers and other such magical tasks, most likely) he will teach us, say, how to conjure some fire BUT THAT'S IT. Unless we spend more time learning something else. Or we go to a fort and get the drill sergeant to teach us some sword fighting techniques. That would be much cooler.

Classes are for schmoes.

Classes are for people who like ze order, adn ze strcture.
Its called being lawful Bath. You should try it some time.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Shadowcaller
2008-10-27, 03:07 PM
As for cats...bah!

If the hero is humanoid, make them human. (Generally accepted in most tales of adventure and travel.)

If the hero isn't humanoid, make them as far from humanoid as possible (like Dragons or Aliens). (Obscurity in how does the hero handle things like...opening doors?)

Anything else is just to close (but not at) to make everyone happy. I'd rather this not turn into a CYOA fan-fic.:smallannoyed:

I like Dr. Bath's suggestion for abilities.

I agree, No cat/dog/lizard/camel/frog/fish/elephant/snake people please.

If we want a non-human hero we should go with something strange like Supagoof said. I personally think a undead or a dragon would be intresting if we don't want a human that is.

Mordokai
2008-10-27, 03:08 PM
I say we go with humans as well.

Just my two cents.

UncleWolf
2008-10-27, 03:11 PM
I'm game, and human would likely be best since it is a viewpoint that all(or at least most) of us can understand.

Dr. Bath
2008-10-27, 03:11 PM
Man... a catdoglizardcamelfrogfishelephantsnake would be HORRIFYING. The stuff of nightmares.

But yeah. Like I said all along. Human.

or dinosaur. I'd lean towards a protoceratops. They're badass. :P

Its called being lawful Bath. You should try it some time.:smallwink::smalltongue:

And ze multiple typos it would seem. :smalltongue:

A class system is just a way for the strong elite to control the weaker masses, it only creates divides and stagnates the pool of intellect by forcing individuals into particular social roles... wait... I don't think we're on the same wavelength here. :smalltongue:

Griever
2008-10-27, 03:12 PM
Undead human ftw!!

androgial
2008-10-27, 03:15 PM
ok human though a kobold hero would be cool for a change. charactor should be female though

Shadowcaller
2008-10-27, 03:21 PM
Undead human ftw!!

Agree, you know I got a story about a ghost...

Basically he is a rich guy that one day gains "the mark" spontaneously.
Marked persons are like characters in a book, the most amazing keeps happening to them.

And the first thing that happens to this guy is that he is murdered.
But as they bury him he suddenly comes back from the dead as a ghost, in this world this is not very common but since he is marked that is to be expected.

But his friends, his wife and his kids and the rest of the villagers still see him as dead and shuns his ghost. He is banished to a place very all supernatural creatures are gathered.

But he still want to return to life so he can reunite with his lost loved ones. In the village he meets another ghost that wants to stop humans from discriminating them and other supernatural creatures.

He also meets a necromancer that says that she can return him to life if he wants, all that she needs is his body...

And thats as far as i have come. (inspired by a dream by the way)

Supagoof
2008-10-27, 03:25 PM
ok human though a kobold hero would be cool for a change. charactor should be female though
That could be fun.

Names:
Tara Headoff
Ruth Lez
Amanda Killemall
Ivana Venturalot

((Pssst. Speak these outloud....)):smallbiggrin:

Edit:@^ Sounds like you have the whole story written already. :smalltongue: Also, kind of hard for a ghost to interact with wherever he goes on the adventure if he's...y'know....a ghost! :smallamused:

Dr. Bath
2008-10-27, 03:28 PM
Why can't we have a regular schmuck, with little backstory, a few neuroses and some purple pantaloons?

The fun is in making the story as we go. The story moulds the character rather than the character moulding the story too much.

Bayar
2008-10-27, 03:47 PM
Why can't we have a regular schmuck, with little backstory, a few neuroses and some purple pantaloons?

The fun is in making the story as we go. The story moulds the character rather than the character moulding the story too much.

K, human with a non-descript abiity list, progressing as he trains in this strange world.

Reinholdt
2008-10-27, 06:03 PM

I fine with this, except perhaps the pantaloons, unless wanted by popular demand I suppose. Throw in a purple (for Supagoof) cape and a _____ bowler hat and we're good.

Uncle Festy
2008-10-27, 06:03 PM

Support for this.
And maybe a cape of an indeterminate color.

No! Kaos FTW! :smalltongue:

Alarra
2008-10-27, 06:24 PM
*adds stamp of approval to the proposal of purple pantaloons*

Indurain
2008-10-27, 06:30 PM

Seconded...or thirded...or whatever number I am. Could they be purple parachute pants instead?

HAMMER MAN! HAMMER!
I am of course...kidding.

Shadow
2008-10-27, 06:44 PM
Are we still looking for players for this?

Reinholdt
2008-10-27, 06:49 PM
Are we still looking for players for this?

I'm pretty sure any and all are welcome to join anytime.

Helgraf
2008-10-27, 09:26 PM
Let there be a purple pantalooned human with a black top hat.

Mustiado
2008-10-27, 11:23 PM
Just about time for the main thread to go up. See you guys on the flip side.

Alarra
2008-10-28, 01:37 AM
The main thread is up over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95058)

Vampiric
2008-10-31, 05:00 PM
In!

And I vote yes for purple pantaloons and cape.