PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Armor and Prerequisites

LibraryOgre
2008-10-24, 12:53 AM
So, as I mentioned in the Gore thread, I died last game, and my death possibly resulted in the death of two other party members. One of them was a Charmadin... 18 charisma, 10 Strength. She traditionally wore plate armor but, as I was looking through my character's abilities, I noticed that Armor Proficiency: Plate requires a 15 Str and a 15 Con.

Does someone who does not meet their stat requirements for class-feature armor feats still get to use them?

amanamana
2008-10-24, 12:55 AM
As far as I know, yes.

Colmarr
2008-10-24, 12:59 AM
Yes they do.

The plate armour proficiency that a Paladin gets is not a feat, and as such it has no pre-requisites.

Edea
2008-10-24, 01:06 AM
Well...class proficiencies do count as the appropriate Armor or Weapon Proficiency feat (page 52):

"...An armor or weapon proficiency you gain from a class counts as the
appropriate Armor Proficiency or Weapon Proficiency feat..."

Then we see under the Prerequisites heading for feats in Chapter 6 (page 193):

"...If you ever lose a prerequisite for a feat[...]you can’t use that feat thereafter."

The problem is that character never -had- the prerequisite to begin with, but got the proficiencies as class features.

Honestly I don't know if she can; it seems like she can't, but that'd make a fair number of currently popular builds a lot harder to make o_O. Probably should rule that she can (I would); otherwise that seems like a rather big screw-over.

Colmarr
2008-10-24, 01:17 AM
I'm AFB.

What's the wording after "Armor Proficiency or Weapon Proficiency feat" in your first quote?

I imagine it's something like "for the purposes of choosing feats", which completely changes the interpretation of the text.

Jokes
2008-10-24, 01:23 AM
It's the first question in the FAQ (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396) (anyone else having trouble accessing the custserv site using firefox?)

1. Can a Fighter with a 12 Constitution still use scale armor?

The Armor Proficiency (Scale) feat requires a 13 Constitution, but all fighters gain proficiency with scale armor for free (regardless of the prerequisites).

Edit:

What's the wording after "Armor Proficiency or Weapon Proficiency feat" in your first quote?

"...(see chapter 6)"