PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Chronicles - Worth Getting?

banjo1985
2008-10-24, 04:45 AM
While I'm having fun playing through Luminous Arc on my DS while my Xbox is in Frankfurt being hit with hammers, I feel the need for another RPG to have a go at on the train to work and such. I was a Sega boy as a child, and I've always loved Sonic up to and including Sonic R, after which I've been hopelessly disappointed.

But when I heard Sonic was going to have an RPG I must admit that I'm interested and hopeful again. Is it any good? Is it an RPG or just a platformer with hitpoints?

I love my turn based RPG's, like Breath of Fire, the old Final Fantasy's. and Disgaea. And I'll admit to being a bit of a Sonic Fanboy when I was half the age I am now. So, based on that, is it worth me getting?

Comet
2008-10-24, 05:19 AM
It's very much a classical RPG, with similar battles to Final Fantasy and other such games. There's not very much Sonic-y about it, if you dont count the characters and such. So no platforming, but the combat system is fairly interesting and escaping from battles is done in a fun fashion.

The plot is very Bioware, and I kinda like it. It is not very multi-dimensional, though. So it's no KotoR either.

Speaking of simple, that's the strongest weak point of this game according to me: it's very, very simple. You ever played those Hamtaro games for the gameboy and such? It's that simple. Losing feels practically impossible.
But it still doesn't feel that boring, as it rolls along with a nice pace.

All in all, I have very mixed feelings about this game. It's fun, fast, simple and the plot is enjoyable at best. But I still wouldn't have paid for this game if I had seen it in a store. Luckily I didn't have to. (Sounds criminal, doesn't it?)

If you can get it for cheap, I say go for it. If not, don't bother.

Mando Knight
2008-10-24, 10:04 AM
I like it, but maybe that's because I'm a sucker for Sonic games and RPGs?

It has action commands... so if you're buying it thinking that it's not going to be reminiscent of a Bioware RPG put in a blender with the Sonic franchise and Paper Mario... you don't want a sip of my Sonic Chronicles smoothie.

Texas Jedi
2008-10-24, 10:33 AM
If you like really old school you might try Etrian Odyssey. It is an RPG more like the Might and Magic, and Wizardry series of yore. You have to draw the maps and the game can be quite challenging because it is unforgiving. You build you own party and customize it to your liking. There really isn't any RPG elements because it is more of a dungeon crawler. I really liked it and have recommended it to my friends.

Have you tried any of the Dragonquest (warrior) games? Dragon Quest IV came out on the DS and it is quite enjoyable and it is more in line with the old school you mentioned. This my is the second favorite game in the series.

If you like the Strategy RPG's you might try either of the FF tactics advance games the first one was on the GBA. They are quite enjoyable and have lots of customazation.

I also really like all of the Castlevania games that have been released on the GBA, and DS. Those have RPG elements in them and that makes them more enjoyable in my mind.

Mando Knight
2008-11-01, 10:25 AM
Just finished it...

...and I can't wait for the sequel. And there will be a sequel.

I mean, they can't just leave it hanging with EGGMAN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiSEyU76M4) ruling his EMPIRE... if the sequel's final boss music isn't some hyper-remix of his SA2 theme, I'll be a bit disappointed.

The music is a lot more techno than other Sonic games...

Use Sonic (for when ya gotta split up) Omega, Shadow, and Tails. Tails'll heal and provide spare PP, Omega will use FIRE, and Shadow and Sonic will eventually be able to unleash what I like to call "Atomic Annihilation," three attacks of Atomic Blast... two before Omega acts, and the last before Tails takes his second turn.