PDA

View Full Version : stupidest weapon in 3rd Edition, the Gyrspike

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 10:52 AM
Ok, for those of you who have the arms and equipment guide or sword and fist, you know what i'm talking about. This weapon, is by far, the stupidest weapon i've ever seen. I mean, a dire flail and a double sword make more sense than this.

Basically, it looks like this http://www.geocities.com/the_real_rakshasa/Gyrspike.GIF
but isn't a two handed sword and with a smaller chain? how the hell do you use that? You can swing the fail, the swords in the way, you can't use the fail without hitting yourself. The only thing i can imagine is that you old the sword handle above your head and spin it in hopes of hitting something. Its like the most suciedal weapon ever.

in my games, i just have the chain be ten feet and make the fail into a heavy pointed weight, which can be spun and thrown at great speed to break bones, a bit like a Karma Gara

Can any one explain if this actually existented?
from
EE

AKA_Bait
2008-10-24, 10:57 AM
Wow. I'm totally in agreement. I'm not sure if it is the most stupid weapon in 3e, as there are a lot of candidates, but its certainly up there.

As for if it actually existed, I doubt it but the Real World Weapons and Armor thread would be a good place to ask.

Glyde
2008-10-24, 10:57 AM
Well, it *is* an exotic weapon, requiring special training. Training that neither you nor I have. It's a fantasy roleplaying game. There are people in these who can do stuff that nobody who exists now, later, or in the past can do.

Lord Herman
2008-10-24, 10:59 AM
What will they think of next? A crossbow/flail? A shuriken/greataxe? Or maybe a swiss army polearm?

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 10:59 AM
Well, it *is* an exotic weapon, requiring special training. Training that neither you nor I have. It's a fantasy roleplaying game. There are people in these who can do stuff that nobody who exists now, later, or in the past can do.

that can be used to explain the dire flail, which one can imagine for inhumanly skilled people, but this doens't make sense in terms of actual use
from
EE

Break
2008-10-24, 11:01 AM
What will they think of next? A crossbow/flail? A shuriken/greataxe? Or maybe a swiss army polearm?

To be fair, I would love to see a Swiss army polearm. The idea just sounds awesome in theory - having a can opener head spring out in the middle of battle, or having another glaive-head, or....

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:01 AM

a gun that shows shuriken and lighting maybe?
from
EE

Glyde
2008-10-24, 11:03 AM
I can think of a few attacks that would get in a good swing from both ends of the weapon. An upward strike with a follow through of the flail could be feasible. You'd just have to be really damn good at getting your arms out of the way, and always know where the sword end is so you don't dig it into the ground.

Magnor Criol
2008-10-24, 11:03 AM
I dunno, I always found the dagger-whip to be immensely idiotic as well. Also, it just plain looked stupid.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:05 AM
I can think of a few attacks that would get in a good swing from both ends of the weapon. An upward strike with a follow through of the flail could be feasible. You'd just have to be really damn good at getting your arms out of the way, and always know where the sword end is so you don't dig it into the ground.

Except you could be hit in both the attack and the possible rebound, along the flail hurting your weight distribution.

the dagger whip isn't great, but i could see that working......badly but i could see it
from
EE

Glyde
2008-10-24, 11:06 AM
You're kidding right? (Dagger whip thingy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_hammer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_dart

At least the dagger-whip kind of existed.

Lord Herman
2008-10-24, 11:07 AM
Dagger-whips are for sissies. Real men use greatsword-whips.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-24, 11:08 AM
A musket!

No, wait... a laser gun!

No...a laser SWORD!

One with guns on it!

That shoots more laser swords!

EvilElitest
great axe whips are the best

Through the rope dart is technically a weight
from
EE
edit
Flail gun would be best, i mean you shoot flails, out. Badass

Tengu_temp
A shuriken/greataxe?

http://upload.wowhead.com/images/screenshots/77366.jpg

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:09 AM

bugger, point for tengu
from
EE

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 11:11 AM
And I know at least two anime characters who use what can be described as a whip-sword. Let's see if I can dig up the pictures.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:14 AM
as in a sword on a whip? I could see a dagger or a sword on a chain (like in kenshin) but on a whip?
from
EE

Eldritch_Ent
2008-10-24, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure this weapon was based on an actual chinese weapon. I think it might have been used with old-style Wushu or something. The offhand more or less works on the same principle as a Kusarigama, while the sword is, well, a sword.

Magnor Criol
2008-10-24, 11:15 AM
And I know at least two anime characters who use what can be described as a whip-sword. Let's see if I can dig up the pictures.

That doesn't mean it isn't stupid. =p

Though, yeah, the dagger-whip is at least plausible. The gyrespike...really isn't.

as in a sword on a whip? I could see a dagger or a sword on a chain (like in kenshin) but on a whip?
from
EE

Yes, that's exactly what it is. I don't remember the book offhand; I would've guessed A&EG, but maybe it's in CW. I'll go look it up.

Glyde
On the subject of awesome weapons, don't forget Cadderly's spindle disks aye?

Fax Celestis
A musket!

No, wait... a laser gun!

No...a laser SWORD!

One with guns on it!

That shoots more laser swords!

I always wanted a crossbow that shot very small lightsabers instead of bolts. Just make sure the blade is wider than the barrel, and that sucker'll go through just about anything.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:16 AM
On the subject of awesome weapons, don't forget Cadderly's spindle disks aye?

true, they were stupid, but at least they were usable. Not well but....
from
EE

AmberVael
2008-10-24, 11:16 AM
The closest thing I've seen to an actual whip/sword would be the Urumi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi
It's a pretty kickass weapon really.
"Let me take off my belt... which is actually a SWORD!"

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 11:17 AM
from
EE

No, not a sword on a whip, and not a very thin, long and flexible sword (which is an actual, real life weapon... as Vael the NINJA just provided) - a sword that separates into many connected fragments, which you use as a whip.

And it's not stupid. Nothing Signum-sama uses is stupid. It can only be awesome.

Lord Herman
2008-10-24, 11:19 AM
Sword-chucks. It had to be said.

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-24, 11:21 AM

Swordchucks.

ocato
2008-10-24, 11:22 AM
I have an idea of how it'd work. Let me dig up my home-made meteor hammer and one of my swords and see if I can't make a working model.

EDIT: And as typical, I will ignore the god awful picture in the book. That thing is about as realistic looking as... something unrealistic.

Fishy
2008-10-24, 11:23 AM
What will they think of next? A crossbow/flail?

Would you accept the War Spikard from Magic of Eberron, otherwise known as the crossbow/greathammer?

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 11:24 AM
Could only find one of my examples, and on a small picutre:
http://www.bleach.gen.tr/AbaraiShiKai.gif

And I keep thinking that the stupidest weapon in DND is footbow, when used by a character who cannot fly. You need to lie down to shoot it!

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-24, 11:28 AM
And I keep thinking that the stupidest weapon in DND is footbow, when used by a character who cannot fly. You need to lie down to shoot it!

Hey, according to the movie Hero, the Qin army used them...

Lord Herman
2008-10-24, 11:29 AM

Which explains why the Qin aren't around anymore.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 11:31 AM

I remember that - funniest moment in the movie. I guess it's the unit all the laziest people went to - you don't even need to stand up to keep fighting!

Thane of Fife
2008-10-24, 11:36 AM
If you're looking for pictures of that sort of weapon, Tengu, you missed a great source of them: Ivy, from Soul Calibur.

I can't really find a picture of her that I feel comfortable posting here, but that is the weapon she uses.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:41 AM
1) The thin sword is just badass, i know about those. An absurdly large on is used in kenshin
2) Tengu, do you mean like ivy's weapon? That is a pretty stupid weapon
3) what weapon from ebberon?
4) Foot bows i think did exit, they have longer range and hit harder, but the obvious advantage of being very unmoveable
from
EE

FMArthur
2008-10-24, 11:42 AM
Swordchucks.

Swordchucks? Pfffft (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=37&issue=5). Lame.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-10-24, 12:02 PM
I'd say Ivy and the Bleach guy (Renji, I think?) recently imagelinked are more "Spiked Chain" than anything...

MeklorIlavator
2008-10-24, 12:07 PM
I want tot nominate the Suglin(not sure how to actually spell it) from Frostburn. It's a bunch of Antlers tied to a stick! Who would use that for a weapon?

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 12:09 PM
I'd say Ivy and the Bleach guy (Renji, I think?) recently imagelinked are more "Spiked Chain" than anything...

Hey, don't try to make spiked chain look cool.

Of course, I'm already doing it myself, imagining spiked chain to actually be kusari-gama...

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 12:23 PM
I want tot nominate the Suglin(not sure how to actually spell it) from Frostburn. It's a bunch of Antlers tied to a stick! Who would use that for a weapon?

to be far, if you lack other resources, it isn't that bad

Tengu, some of the D&d pictures of spiked chains look kinda cool. Not great mind you, but what is?
from
EE

InaVegt
2008-10-24, 12:32 PM
Tengu, some of the D&d pictures of spiked chains look kinda cool. Not great mind you, but what is?
from
EE

Kusari-Gama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusari-gama)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-24, 12:36 PM
Or maybe a swiss army polearm?You mean a halberd?

Which explains why the Qin aren't around anymore.They founded an empire that lasted, not quite continuously, for 2000 years. They can use silly weapons if they like.

Ontopic, the Gyrspike is pretty awful. I really can't think of a way to use such a thing without one end or the other tripping up or hitting the wielder. You could put one hand on the chain and one on the sword hilt, maybe, and it'd be merely awkward, but then you barely have leverage to attack with it.

Those whip-sword-things Tengu keeps mentioning I always thought of as particularly cool-looking spiked chains, although whip-swords can often collapse back into regular swords (the really dumb part).

Lord Herman
2008-10-24, 12:45 PM
You mean a halberd?

Does it have a corkscrew?

RTGoodman
2008-10-24, 12:46 PM

But... it's a weapon that deals 2d8 damage! So what if you have to spend like 3 feats to be able to use it to it's full potential!

Actually, the sugliin is kinda silly, but I like it - if I ever get a chance to play a Neanderthal, a Goliath, or a savage human in a 3.x game, I'm gonna use one.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 12:47 PM
Does it have a corkscrew?

For your brain it does
from
EE

ashmanonar
2008-10-24, 12:54 PM

Ahh, the Whirlwind axe. My old friend :D

Lemur
2008-10-24, 01:30 PM
I forgot about the gyrspike. Or maybe I just tried really hard to ignore it. The implications are interesting though: you can combine any two weapons to make a double weapon with the properties of both.

Like the dreaded chairladder, a double improvised weapon. Imagine what a bar fight would be like with that.

chiasaur11
2008-10-24, 01:45 PM
Sword-chucks. It had to be said.

Hey, in the hands of a master of zodiac kenshido, those are devastating.

Chainsaw nunchucks are even less practical.

Beleriphon
2008-10-24, 02:08 PM
By the looks of it the thing is meant to be used by holding the sword in one hand, and the weighted other end in the other hand. I can figure out hows its supposed to work, although I agree it looks dumb.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-24, 02:11 PM
Tengu, do you mean like ivy's weapon? That is a pretty stupid weapon

That is a pretty stupid weapon

stupid weapon

.... I will fight you.

Starsinger
2008-10-24, 02:16 PM
All this Gyrspikery is silly. The picture is obviously not drawn to scale. The Chain is much longer and you use one side as a Meteor Hammer in one hand, and the sword in the other... right?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-24, 02:19 PM
Like the dreaded chairladder, a double improvised weapon. Imagine what a bar fight would be like with that.Jackie Chan concurs fully.

Waspinator
2008-10-24, 03:09 PM

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4650/quadrupleaxett8.png

Person_Man
2008-10-24, 03:37 PM
I feel the exact way same about Darth Maul's double bladed lightsaber. Parrying with that thing would very obviously get your legs chopped off.

By the way, what are the stats on the gyrspike? I assume it's a double weapon - but is there actually a reason to invest in the EWP to take it?

Fax Celestis
2008-10-24, 03:42 PM
Double weapon: 1d8 slashing/1d8 bludgeoning/piercing (19-20/x2 both ends), trip weapon, +2 to disarms.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-24, 03:43 PM
I feel the exact way same about Darth Maul's double bladed lightsaber. Parrying with that thing would very obviously get your legs chopped off. don't even mention Star Wars fighting. It's awesome to watch, but they have weightless weapons that only need to touch you to deal major damage. Parrying would be deadly, not common, because if they can push your blade back or snake over it, you're dead, no matter how little force is behind their blows. A style like Anakin's would be torn apart by someone patient with a bit of finesse.

Tyrael
2008-10-24, 04:12 PM
Could only find one of my examples, and on a small picutre:
http://www.bleach.gen.tr/AbaraiShiKai.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/gameaholica/TGH/character%20article/IvySoulCalibur.jpg

Tyrael
2008-10-24, 04:13 PM
A style like Anakin's would be torn apart by someone patient with a bit of finesse.

http://www.runleiarun.com/choppedoffhands/anakin.jpg

Swordguy
2008-10-24, 04:23 PM
http://www.runleiarun.com/choppedoffhands/anakin.jpg

You win the thread.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 04:40 PM

That is amazing

Starsinger, i could see that with a weight, but a flail? The sword would counter balance the flail

On double blanded sword, i always imagined them as long staves with foot long blades on the end, so there is room to manivor.

Mayhem, i'll take that, i'll use knights gear against that stupid whip thing

and again, and Ivy is a slut......but we already knew that
from
EE

fractic
2008-10-24, 04:41 PM
picture

That raises another question though. Why wield a nearly weightless weapon in two hands?

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 04:44 PM
the real question is, why would you not wield a weightless weapon weapon with two hands?
from
EE

Swordguy
2008-10-24, 04:45 PM
That raises another question though. Why wield a nearly weightless weapon in two hands?

Better leverage against a single long weapon like a lightsaber. You're acting on the far end of their lever - thus, following blade contact in which they're attacking you, you can easily control their blade.

You're at the strong, while they're at the weak - it's a basic principle of swordsmanship. What's more, the extra blade enable you to attack while controlling their blade. Their only option is to pull back out of distance completely to avoid your counter - and that gives you the initiative in the fight.

None of which is really represented within game mechanics.

Starshade
2008-10-24, 04:56 PM
The two ends of a dual headed, or double weapon dont attack independent, the kusari gama Gezina posted a link to, is a combination of a trapping chain and a scythe formed blade to attack with. Its purpose is to fight swordsmen.

An Enemy Spy
2008-10-24, 05:04 PM
Dagger-whips are for sissies. Real men use greatsword-whips.

Anyone who uses a greatsword whip is just compensating for something

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-10-24, 05:37 PM
Firearms do not belong in DnD. I don't care how cool they are.

Starsinger
2008-10-24, 05:39 PM

Why? Yay! More Lemon Chiffon text!

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-24, 05:43 PM
Well, no one can write agreeable rules for them, for one thing. Mainly because everyone's an armchair historian when it comes to the role of early firearms in changing the paradigm of feudal warfare.

Talya
2008-10-24, 05:44 PM
Why?

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!

Kurald Galain
2008-10-24, 05:46 PM
If you're looking for pictures of that sort of weapon, Tengu, you missed a great source of them: Ivy, from Soul Calibur.
Heh. That's nothing - the newest Soul Calibur has this chick who wields a hula hoop as a weapon...

Ravens_cry
2008-10-24, 05:53 PM
If they are used, I think they should be used mainly by say, a nation thats anti-magic. .
In the interests of cat girl genocide, could the same trick as the 'commoner rail gun' be workable as man portable if you had a 1000 really small creatures (like say Shrunk pixies) and lined them all up on the inside of a tube, each passing along say. . .a lead ball?
Inquiring minds want to know.

fractic
2008-10-24, 05:55 PM
If they are used, I think they should be used mainly by say, a nation thats anti-magic. .
In the interests of cat girl genocide, could the same trick as the 'commoner rail gun' be workable as man portable if you had a 1000 really small creatures (like say Shrunk pixies) and lined them all up on the inside of a tube, each passing along say. . .a lead ball?
Inquiring minds want to know.

While the tiny pixies could pass along the ball at lightning speeds the last would hold it firmly in eir hand. Ey can only throw it a few feet just like normal.

On another note the speed from the commoer rail gun comes from the fact that the commoners are spaced out so that the ball travles a large distance in those 6 seconds a round takes.

Deepblue706
2008-10-24, 05:56 PM
Ah, the Gyrspike. I remember that.

This weapon once inspired me to think of more ridiculous concepts for weaponry.

-Sword Boots
-Quad-Axe (think "Wheel")
-Hammerknife (A dagger with a small warhammer extending down at the pommel)
-Sword Hat (an alternative to a spiked helm)
-Chain-Club (a heavy chain with a greatclub attached to one end)

I wish I had a Sword Hat.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-24, 05:59 PM
Isn't the Flail the same basic idea as the Chain-Club?

Deepblue706
2008-10-24, 06:01 PM
Isn't the Flail the same basic idea as the Chain-Club?

A flail at least has a haft, and it has much smaller scale and proportions...and the part you use to hit your enemy with isn't made of wood. And the striking parts of a flail aren't two-handed clubs.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-24, 06:03 PM
Hell, I want a sword hat.

chiasaur11
2008-10-24, 06:11 PM
Sword boots are nifty too.

Good for kicking things.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 06:14 PM

Something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99eNf8GrF7Q)?
(Just watch the first attack. Or everything, if you feel like having some awesome.)

Enguhl
2008-10-24, 06:16 PM
You know what weapon I think is worse? The fireball, I mean seriously, who can realistically shoot a fireball out of nothing?

It's a fantasy game, ridiculous and awkward weapons don't have to make sense, they just have to be cool.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-24, 06:17 PM
While the tiny pixies could pass along the ball at lightning speeds the last would hold it firmly in eir hand. Ey can only throw it a few feet just like normal.

On another note the speed from the commoer rail gun comes from the fact that the commoners are spaced out so that the ball travles a large distance in those 6 seconds a round takes.
Ah, dang. I wanted a man portable weapon not only to smite mine enemies but purge the land of the feline females. Still, how small could you shrink a sprite? I have looked up the stats, and find nothing on weight or height besides the fact they are Tiny. If one could make them small enough, one could carry them in a backpack/portable home, and with a little preparation time, have them spread out to the desired length for some catgirl killing, rail gun action.
Can you teleport the air out of a container to make a vacuum in said container?

streakster
2008-10-24, 06:28 PM
Ah, the Gyrspike. I remember that.

This weapon once inspired me to think of more ridiculous concepts for weaponry.

-Sword Boots
-Quad-Axe (think "Wheel")
-Hammerknife (A dagger with a small warhammer extending down at the pommel)
-Sword Hat (an alternative to a spiked helm)
-Chain-Club (a heavy chain with a greatclub attached to one end)

I wish I had a Sword Hat.

Good ones. I once held a project to see how to affix as many weapons as possible to the human body in a usable fashion.

-Spiked Helmet - Headbutts are now lethal.
-Steel Teeth Overlays - Similar to the proverbial "cannibal dentures"
-Spiky Shoulderpads - Charge with your shoulder, impale your foe
-Arm Axe - Blade mounted under arm, used in axe-like fashion.
-Wrist Knives - Assassin's Choice
-Poisoned Needle Rings - See here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0592.html)
-Finger Knives - Yes, real. (http://www.durfors.se/fingerkniv1.jpg)
-Spiked Kneepads - The obvious.
-Assassin Knife Shoe - You all saw the Dark Knight, right?

Past a certain point, though, the getup stops being intimidating, and jsut becomes sad...

Fax Celestis
2008-10-24, 06:36 PM
Past a certain point, though, the getup stops being intimidating, and jsut becomes sad...

"He is totally compensating for something."

chiasaur11
2008-10-24, 06:36 PM
Good ones. I once held a project to see how to affix as many weapons as possible to the human body in a usable fashion.

-Poisoned Needle Rings - See here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0592.html)

Twin shoulder crossbows.

You want some range.

tonberrian
2008-10-24, 07:00 PM

Needs more Braid Blades (Dungeon 120, or here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Equipment.pdf)).

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 07:24 PM
Would you accept the War Spikard from Magic of Eberron, otherwise known as the crossbow/greathammer?

Truly silly, but what about the spear spikard? For those without the book here's the pic. Also, that sword is porous or something IIRC. That's alchemist fire in it, so... that's real fire coming out of the hilt, not that magical stuff that doesn't hurt the wielder, ouch.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91492.jpg

But! I can see that hammer-gun existing in an Iron Kingdoms type setting. Swing the hammer into something, a cartridge inside is slammed against a firing pin, bullet shoots into what you just hit the hammer into.

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 07:31 PM

Dude! Mouth Darts! aka Fukimi-Bari from Arms and Equipment guide.
Oh, and spiked elbow pads. Be a skarn from Magic of Incarnum to really go for pointy gold.

BRC
2008-10-24, 07:32 PM

The Needle Ring, Wrist Knife, and Boot Knife are mainly for surprise attacks, and make sense in that regard.

The Spiked Helmet is actually a very good weapon for Gnomes who specialize in being thrown.

Waspinator
2008-10-24, 07:32 PM
Airborne Teleporting ToBrrasque with a Spiked Chain

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/241/spikedchaintarrasquesf0.png

When the adventurers absolutely must not live to see tomorrow.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87000

Just grab the chain and swing it at your enemies!

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 07:41 PM
You know what weapon I think is worse? The fireball, I mean seriously, who can realistically shoot a fireball out of nothing?

It's a fantasy game, ridiculous and awkward weapons don't have to make sense, they just have to be cool.

no, fantasy weapons still have to make sense, or at least have the appearance of making sense, for the purpose of understanding their use. Magic doens't exist in real life, so it follows its own rules, but weapons we know because they were devolped for a purpose
from
EE

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 07:47 PM
no, fantasy weapons still have to make sense, or at least have the appearance of making sense, for the purpose of understanding their use. Magic doens't exist in real life, so it follows its own rules, but weapons we know because they were devolped for a purpose
from
EE

Indeed, I'll agree with EE on this (!!!!)

Weapons, non-magical ones that is, are bound by physics, as such they shouldn't be totally absurd. Magic, not being bound by physics, can do anything it wants.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 07:57 PM
Indeed, I'll agree with EE on this (!!!!)

Weapons, non-magical ones that is, are bound by physics, as such they shouldn't be totally absurd. Magic, not being bound by physics, can do anything it wants.

i'd say something about the world ending, but i disagreeded with Rutee far more
from
EE

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-24, 07:59 PM
But can we have magical weapons that don't make sense, at least? The philosophy that there's a dichotomy between "magic" that can do whatever the hell it wants and "everything else" that absolutely must abide by real physics is the primary reason that fighters and, indeed, everything else are pitiful compared to primary spellcasters in 3rd Edition D&D. But then, some people will say "that's what makes it magic", and I can see where they're coming from.

Starsinger
2008-10-24, 08:05 PM
or at least have the appearance of making sense

Actually that Orcish Quadruple Axe makes sense if you think about someone wielding it with Telekinesis. Which makes the Master of the Unseen Hand sound awesome.

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 08:07 PM
But can we have magical weapons that don't make sense, at least? The philosophy that there's a dichotomy between "magic" that can do whatever the hell it wants and "everything else" that absolutely must abide by real physics is the primary reason that fighters and, indeed, everything else are pitiful compared to primary spellcasters in 3rd Edition D&D. But then, some people will say "that's what makes it magic", and I can see where they're coming from.

Oh sure, if you have a magic spear that shoots the spear head at people which then transforms into a massive shuriken en route and then explodes into a cloud of daggers on contact, then go for it.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 08:12 PM
Actually that Orcish Quadruple Axe makes sense if you think about someone wielding it with Telekinesis. Which makes the Master of the Unseen Hand sound awesome.

actually you have a good point....or you could tie it to the back of a beholder, who spins around.

On magic weapons, to an extent yes. A giant sword could work if it is lightless in terms of weight, but it would still be clumsy for a small person
from
EE

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-24, 08:20 PM
But! I can see that hammer-gun existing in an Iron Kingdoms type setting. Swing the hammer into something, a cartridge inside is slammed against a firing pin, bullet shoots into what you just hit the hammer into.It actually exists in a book somewhere(I think DC). It has an alchemical substance that explodes with impact and a bunch of shrapnel loaded into the head, and it blows out when it hits. Then you have to use it as a normal hammer until you get ~10 minutes to reload.

Worira
2008-10-24, 08:40 PM

At this point, you've gone the long way around to armour spikes.

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 08:44 PM
It actually exists in a book somewhere(I think DC). It has an alchemical substance that explodes with impact and a bunch of shrapnel loaded into the head, and it blows out when it hits. Then you have to use it as a normal hammer until you get ~10 minutes to reload.

Awesome! I'm not crazy then, I could swear that such a thing existed but I didn't want to post anything about it because for the life of me I couldn't remember if it was true or not. Of course, the alternative is that I dreamed of some sort of fantastical hammer-gun, which I feel is a bit unlikely.

Waspinator
2008-10-24, 08:59 PM
I have another nominee for silliest weapon: The Sword Belt.

The Warcraft Roleplaying Game Magic & Mayhem book has a longsword that can be popped apart into a series of metal links that appear to be a belt. The idea is that you can wear the "belt" past any kind of weapons checkpoint and later pop it back together into the sword. What really makes it silly is that it even has the parts under tension, so you can do a fancy "pull it off and flick" move to get your sword out and ready.

Cheesegear
2008-10-24, 09:03 PM
Has anyone mentioned the Urumi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi), basically a cat-o-nine tails, made out of steel and has a sword-hilt. Kind of a whip-sword, right?

And there's that crazy whip-sword on Brotherhood of the Wolf, except a lot of people haven't seen that, because it's a foreign film (read; Not spoken in English. French).

And, as always I can always bring up Jakotsu from Inu Yasha, and his crazy whip-sword. I can't actually find a picture of it. But I know it looks ridiculous when not in 'lightning mode'. I'll see if I can run the DVD on my compy and get a ScreenCap.

In fact, none of the characters from IY have sensible weapons. Except for Sesshomaru.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-24, 09:06 PM
Chinblade - a very small axehead. Attached to your chin.

Signmaker
2008-10-24, 09:12 PM
The lynxpaw. Almost identical in design, and in RotW.

Also, is it bad that I remember that tarrasque thread? xP

Personally, I've always thought the double-bladed sword to be sheer craziness. At least with a quarterstaff you could grip endpoints, but you've only got the middle to maneuver with a double-bladed sword.

sonofzeal
2008-10-24, 09:36 PM
Also, is it bad that I remember that tarrasque thread? xP
"I summon the Tarrasque.... with bells on!" <- that one?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-10-24, 10:25 PM
Why? Yay! More Lemon Chiffon text!

Well, DnD is swords and shields, fireball and Mithril Armor.

The last thing I want to see in dnd is a dwarf with an AK47.

Nightmare, much?

Starsinger
2008-10-24, 10:51 PM
Well, DnD is swords and shields, fireball and Mithril Armor.

The last thing I want to see in dnd is a dwarf with an AK47.

Nightmare, much?

What about flintlock pistols?

Swordguy
2008-10-24, 11:01 PM

A bit modern, honestly. I'd personally have no issue with handgonnes or even matchlocks - but more than that puts you too far into the Renaissance to have the traditional "Medieval Europe + Magic" feel that D&D ought to have.

If you have absolutely have to have more modern guns and swords existing side-by-side, I suggest Sengoku, or a slightly houseruled L5R.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:02 PM

the thing is, when flintlocks started being used en mass (Ie, the Pirate ones, like from PotC) the medieval age that D&D is located in was largely gone. I mean, gun powder was around, so you can go with it, but it has a lot of nasty implications
from
EE

Ascension
2008-10-24, 11:03 PM
For folks wanting boot knives and other hidden weapons, there are rules for all sorts of hidden blades in Complete Scoundrel. You try taking on the guy who has knives hidden in his boots, short swords jutting out of his knees and elbows, and a bayonet on his crossbow.

Cainen
2008-10-24, 11:07 PM

Platemail - 16th century, developed up through the 14th and the 15th century.

Rapiers - 16th century.

Both of these are a staple of D&D.

Arab firearms - 14th century. There are prototype firearms dating to the 12th century, among other things, and European firearms popped up in the 15th century.

What are your grounds for arguing this?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-24, 11:08 PM
Is there a sword-cane statted out anywhere? I've got a character that would be awesome for, and I've got a free proficiency.

Bobmufin52
2008-10-24, 11:08 PM
a gun that shows shuriken and lighting maybe?
from
EE
That could only be better if it was on fire. (gota love ZP.)

Smeggedoff
2008-10-24, 11:11 PM
It actually exists in a book somewhere(I think DC). It has an alchemical substance that explodes with impact and a bunch of shrapnel loaded into the head, and it blows out when it hits. Then you have to use it as a normal hammer until you get ~10 minutes to reload.

I think you may be referring to the Thunderclub there, from Dragon Magazine I believe, it was a reinforced club that had been hollowed out, you'd load gunpowder and shapnel into it and seal it up, at the bottom of the club there'd be a string.
while you were battering things with the club you could pull the string creating an impromptu shotgun, dealing damage in a cone shape.

reloading was not something to be done mid battle

IIRC ofc

ah, but if it goes up against a magical hand that shoots bees, it's going to booping lose :smallwink:

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 11:12 PM
Platemail - 16th century, developed up through the 14th and the 15th century.

Rapiers - 16th century.

Both of these are a staple of D&D.

Arab firearms - 14th century. There are prototype firearms dating to the 12th century, among other things, and European firearms popped up in the 15th century.

What are your grounds for arguing this?

Do rocket arrows and spears count? I feel like they've been around longer. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_arrow)

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:27 PM

How could this game not be cool i ask you?
from
EE

Knaight
2008-10-24, 11:29 PM
Coming back to the topic, the only way the Gyrspike would be anything other than an incredibly annoying, crippling weapon to use was if you controlled the sword, and the spike took care of itself magically. A mundane version of that is just not going to work.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:30 PM
Coming back to the topic, the only way the Gyrspike would be anything other than an incredibly annoying, crippling weapon to use was if you controlled the sword, and the spike took care of itself magically. A mundane version of that is just not going to work.

you could throw it at people?
from
EE

Waspinator
2008-10-24, 11:34 PM
I think you may be referring to the Thunderclub there, from Dragon Magazine I believe, it was a reinforced club that had been hollowed out, you'd load gunpowder and shapnel into it and seal it up, at the bottom of the club there'd be a string.
while you were battering things with the club you could pull the string creating an impromptu shotgun, dealing damage in a cone shape.

reloading was not something to be done mid battle

Vulcanian Thunder Club, Dragon 304

Swordguy
2008-10-24, 11:36 PM
you could throw it at people?
from
EE

By that standard, a gnome is a viable weapon.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:37 PM

exactly, gnome punting wasn't always a sport you know, in times of war you need to make hard choices
from
EE

Knaight
2008-10-24, 11:38 PM
On throwing it at people: I suppose, but even that would have a horrible balance, no accuracy, and still a decent chance of injury. I'm not quite willing to call it the stupidest weapon in D&D, but I will say right now that is is stupider than anything from Exhalted, Terra Ingocnita(which does have cane-swords), Hero, Rolemaster, all other editions of D&D(so far, although the execution axe idiocy comes close in 4e. An axe specialized for execution should not be better than a battle axe, or it should be the battle axe. This is kind of like that wierd knife in Brisingr that is so good it would realistically be the main melee battle weapon.).

Just looking at it the best use seems to be to cut it into two pieces, and just use the handle-less flail in one hand and the sword in the other, your less likely to injure yourself. Plus either one of those could be thrown reasonably. The gyrspike is made reasonable with one good swipe from an axe.

Quadruple Ninjaed.

Lemur
2008-10-24, 11:38 PM

It's not?!

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:39 PM
hmmm, what weapons are stupider in 3E? The spiked chain?
from
EE

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 11:41 PM
hmmm, what weapons are stupider in 3E? The spiked chain?
from
EE

I see nothing absurd about this... http://nightmare.org/dnd/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=956&g2_serialNumber=1
Nope, totally reasonable. :smallwink:

I like how 4e does it as a two-handed weapon as opposed to a double weapon. Makes a lot more sense as a long chain with spikes on one end instead of a long chain with spikes on both ends or all ends! (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/iw12102004RaskHlfOrcChnftr.jpg)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-24, 11:44 PM
I see nothing absurd about this...

Nope, totally reasonable. :smallwink:Yes, that is idiotic. However, picture a 5' chain with 2-inch wide links covered in nails. Perfectly reasonable.

Knaight
2008-10-24, 11:46 PM
Better than the gyrspike. Then again so are those tortoise shell blades from CW. As is the spear crossbow hybrid(which would have been awesome if it had been a short extension, more like something you could stab with on the off chance somebody closed too much, as opposed to the huge spear. But I seem to remember some sort of falchion hammer flail thing somewhere, which was worse.

Gralamin
2008-10-24, 11:52 PM
I think this must be mentioned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/thegreatestnightmare/DireTarrasque.jpg

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 11:55 PM

hey, i got one of those on ebay

Right, the spiked chain isn't nearly as dumb as the gry spike, the crossbow hammer thing then?

i don't recall the 4E spiked chain actually, and i'm too lazy to read my books
from
EE

Waspinator
2008-10-24, 11:55 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80815

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=826384

EvilElitest
2008-10-25, 12:12 AM
figured out its use. When the bad guy pulls it out, the PCs spend a round trying to figure out how he would use in, in which he gets an extra sneak attack
from
EE

Da Beast
2008-10-25, 12:23 AM
Races of stone has the massively stupid double spear. Most double weapons make sense in a weird I don't know anything about weapons sort of way in that it gives you two sides to swing around. With a longer chain or handle the Gyrspike might be almost believable. But how the boop is a sticking a second point on the other end of a thrusting weapon going let you attack faster?

Draco Dracul
2008-10-25, 12:56 AM
Races of stone has the massively stupid double spear. Most double weapons make sense in a weird I don't know anything about weapons sort of way in that it gives you two sides to swing around. With a longer chain or handle the Gyrspike might be almost believable. But how the boop is a sticking a second point on the other end of a thrusting weapon going let you attack faster?

I could see how a double spear could allow you to hit two targets with one thrust (if one is in front of you and the other is behind), but attacking a single target faster is just silly.

Asbestos
2008-10-25, 01:27 AM

Man, I think this is the second time I've had to reference this. (http://books.google.com/books?id=SBENHIwJshMC&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=double+headed+spear&source=web&ots=9mGhANCRsk&sig=jxxjdPaLJEIf53EwlGcowrDifyo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result)

Da Beast
2008-10-25, 01:42 AM
Man, I think this is the second time I've had to reference this. (http://books.google.com/books?id=SBENHIwJshMC&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=double+headed+spear&source=web&ots=9mGhANCRsk&sig=jxxjdPaLJEIf53EwlGcowrDifyo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result)

I'm simply dumbfounded.

Swordguy
2008-10-25, 01:52 AM

Those are about 3.5 feet long, weigh about a pound each, and are basically used like thrusting swords with the added advantage of a spiked pommel (the other end of the weapon). Those are completely believable, although they have no real defensive value whatever against an opponent armed with anything more than a staff. Many of the really light Chinese weapons have serious breakage issues.

Moreover, they're peasant weapons - made from cane/bamboo - and will do you little to no good against a chinese sword/shield fighter.

Asbestos
2008-10-25, 02:05 AM
Those are about 3.5 feet long, weigh about a pound each, and are basically used like thrusting swords with the added advantage of a spiked pommel (the other end of the weapon). Those are completely believable, although they have no real defensive value whatever against an opponent armed with anything more than a staff. Many of the really light Chinese weapons have serious breakage issues.

Moreover, they're peasant weapons - made from cane/bamboo - and will do you little to no good against a chinese sword/shield fighter.

Odd that they'd rank them as "long weapons" then. Anyway, I know there was a link that had the full on double spear, anyway, this dude seems to do fine with it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acbdyIyn9s&feature=related)

Alright, I think its this (http://books.google.com/books?id=SBENHIwJshMC&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=double+headed+spear&source=web&ots=9mGfsRzPum&sig=qp4JQUw-hZzbtCdF9YUR4p5stog&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA26,M1)? But I've apparently reached my viewing limit so... ????

Edit: Yes well, the second link that I can't see for some odd reason, is the one I wanted (I think, I can't see it anymore!)

Swordguy
2008-10-25, 02:20 AM
Odd that they'd rank them as "long weapons" then. Anyway, I know there was a link that had the full on double spear, anyway, this dude seems to do fine with it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acbdyIyn9s&feature=related)

Terminology issue - the double-ended spear in the YouTube link is a full-length 6'-ish spear with two heads. You use it like...a spear.

The double-ended spear in your first link is a shorter weapon that is used two at a time. The link even says, "Generally speaking, the double-ended spear is shorter than the regular, single-ended spear."

Incidently, that IS a nice shaolin spear form the guy in the YouTube link is doing. Good control. The leap over the spear after the defensive drag is a lot harder than it looks. :smallwink:

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-25, 02:36 AM
Yes, that is idiotic. However, picture a 5' chain with 2-inch wide links covered in nails. Perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, if I'm naked.

I actually recreated the Gyrspike (without knowing it existed) for my comic so I don't think it's totally stupid.

Waspinator
2008-10-25, 03:34 AM
Stolen and slightly modified:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/643/direbowvf4.png

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-25, 12:42 PM
Stolen and slightly modified:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/643/direbowvf4.pngI don't know about you, but my characters all want one.

Lord Herman
2008-10-25, 12:49 PM
Hmm...

I want a repeating crossbow that shoots zombies.

Edit: Isn't there some way we could weaponise the Bag of Tricks? Maybe adapt it into a cartridge for a repeating crossbow?

Scratch those zombies. I want a repeating crossbow that shoots rhinos.

Draco Dracul
2008-10-25, 12:57 PM
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/643/direbowvf4.png
I want one of those that fires one of these:

Flickerdart
2008-10-25, 01:02 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/9/12/ deserves an honourable mention (Mind the language).

Roderick_BR
2008-10-25, 02:09 PM

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/613/swisspolearmao2.th.jpg (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swisspolearmao2.jpg)http://img293.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)
Because someone had to.
Also,
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/9342/swordchucksgk1.th.gif (http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swordchucksgk1.gif)http://img370.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)
And can't forget (this one is not mine)
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9725/rocketpropelledchainsawqu4.th.jpg (http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rocketpropelledchainsawqu4.jpg)http://img123.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

monty
2008-10-25, 02:27 PM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3675/snipercrowbaris3.jpg

chiasaur11
2008-10-25, 02:29 PM

Man, that would be useful for the intimidate bonus alone.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-25, 02:32 PM
I happen to think a rocket propelled Chainsaw would be awesome. Sure reloading would be hard, but think of the sweetness.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-25, 02:51 PM
I happen to think a rocket propelled Chainsaw would be awesome. Sure reloading would be hard, but think of the sweetness.

Chainsaws are second in awesome only to drills, and I've seen a rocket-propelled drill already. I'm forced to agree.

vicente408
2008-10-25, 04:30 PM
Chainsaws are second in awesome only to drills, and I've seen a rocket-propelled drill already. I'm forced to agree.

Row, row, fight da powah!

Starbuck_II
2008-10-25, 04:42 PM
Row, row, fight da powah!

Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!

Flickerdart
2008-10-25, 04:47 PM
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!
Remember that reason gets an AoO against you for an unarmed attack without IUS, which tends to stop most people.

sonofzeal
2008-10-25, 04:53 PM
I can't believe the WBWDTT (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3400353)hasn't been mentioned yet.

"I choose option d.) All of the above."

Fax Celestis
2008-10-25, 04:54 PM
Remember that reason gets an AoO against you for an unarmed attack without IUS, which tends to stop most people.

Only if you don't possess the Improved Realistic Suppression feat.

Iku Rex
2008-10-25, 04:58 PM
The closest thing I've seen to an actual whip/sword would be the Urumi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi
It's a pretty kickass weapon really.
"Let me take off my belt... which is actually a SWORD!"In DnD it's called a "Spinning Sword" (from Secrets of Sarlona). Noteworthy because it's a one-handed weapon with reach.

Flickerdart
2008-10-25, 05:15 PM
Only if you don't possess the Improved Realistic Suppression feat.
That's an Epic feat, though, with insane Charisma requirements, and oddly enough, a maximum WIS of 9.

chiasaur11
2008-10-25, 05:29 PM
That's an Epic feat, though, with insane Charisma requirements, and oddly enough, a maximum WIS of 9.

Or you can just write it on your sheet and respond to any and all criticisms with "Who the Hell do you think I am?!?"

They tend to stop asking after a few dozen times.

EvilElitest
2008-10-25, 07:58 PM
i want a chain saw hat now
from
EE

Vorpal Soda
2008-10-25, 08:05 PM
i want a chain saw hat now
from
EE

Personally, I'd rather have a circular saw hat, with the blade around the rim. Although I'd probably end up slicing my hand in two trying to throw it at people.

Lord Herman
2008-10-25, 08:08 PM
Steam roller skates!

monty
2008-10-25, 08:14 PM
Ever see the movie "Master of the Flying Guillotine"? Now that's a ridiculous weapon. Wielded by a blind guy, no less.

Smeggedoff
2008-10-25, 08:15 PM
ooh, they'd go nice with those nuclear powered socks

EvilElitest
2008-10-25, 09:18 PM
Personally, I'd rather have a circular saw hat, with the blade around the rim. Although I'd probably end up slicing my hand in two trying to throw it at people.
what if you could throw it at people?
from
EE

Smeggedoff
2008-10-25, 09:58 PM
I think that's his point, if you tried to pull the Oddjob school of hat fighting's signature move, but had replaced the rime of your hat with a spining circular sawblade youd likeley take some fingers off...not those of your opponent

FMArthur
2008-10-25, 10:02 PM
You practice with a normal hat until you can do it without touching the edge.

Draco Dracul
2008-10-25, 10:03 PM
I think that's his point, if you tried to pull the Oddjob school of hat fighting's signature move, but had replaced the rime of your hat with a spining circular sawblade youd likeley take some fingers off...not those of your opponent

What if you made it so that the spinning blades of death don't start spinning until after you throw the hat (but before it hits your opponent)

Ravens_cry
2008-10-25, 10:06 PM
Hmm, maybe some pull string flywheel mechanism, that only starts spinning when the string reaches the end, giving you time to throw the thing.

Edan
2008-10-25, 10:20 PM
I believe Family Guy invented the best weapon to mass murder commoners. The cat launcher, wielded by Adam West.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6936/mayorwestwithcatlaunchebk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Smeggedoff
2008-10-25, 10:24 PM
I believe Family Guy invented the best weapon to mass murder commoners. The cat launcher, wielded by Adam West.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6936/mayorwestwithcatlaunchebk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

man, I need to catch up on my box sets, I'm at least two seasons behind

Waspinator
2008-10-25, 10:28 PM
Steam roller skates!

Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game Magic & Mayhem page 186:

Footcarts

The inventor of footcarts was once a poor tinker who used her talents at toymaking in the coastal town of Tidus. The most popular of her products she sold in the marketplace were miniature phlogiston-powered, dwarven steam tanks. When a tauren scoffed at the "foolish toys" and attempted to leap upon and smash them... he suddenly found himself pulled across the marketplace with the wreckage of tiny steam tanks bent around the bottoms of his hooves. That night, the toymaker realized that her inventions might be put to more useful ends and crafted two simple carts designed to be strapped to the bottoms of her feet. The next morning she arrived at the marketplace, put on her "footcarts", and zoomed into tinker history. Today they are one of the first useful devices tinkers teach apprentices to construct.

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-25, 11:16 PM
Vorpal Net.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-25, 11:35 PM
Vorpal Net.That could be doable with a razor sharp inner edge, or molecular monofilament for the net itself. Cuts through like dental floss wire though Jello. It wouldn't make a very good net then though.

Waspinator
2008-10-26, 12:58 PM
For people to lazy to use a blender! Just throw it at things!

Vorpal Soda
2008-10-26, 01:33 PM
Hmm, maybe some pull string flywheel mechanism, that only starts spinning when the string reaches the end, giving you time to throw the thing.

Good idea, it'd have to be possible to activate it when still wearing it, in case you have to headbutt people.

That could be doable with a razor sharp inner edge, or molecular monofilament for the net itself. Cuts through like dental floss wire though Jello. It wouldn't make a very good net then though.

So, basically the Eldar Death Spinner from WH40K then?

Leon
2008-10-26, 03:25 PM

Also the Spear version

Tengu_temp
2008-10-26, 03:44 PM
Vorpal Net.

The movie Cube had that.

EvilElitest
2008-10-26, 03:47 PM
The movie Cube had that.

touche
from
EE

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-26, 03:58 PM
Vorpal Net.

Also Predator.

Anyway, less obviously stupid, but the Kurgan's 'click-together' sword in Highlander. Now I only have a basic knowledge of physics, but i'm pretty sure thats a stupid place to have the join.

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-26, 04:00 PM
I love that sword!
The Krull Glaive however...

Swooper
2008-10-26, 05:11 PM
Is there a sword-cane statted out anywhere? I've got a character that would be awesome for, and I've got a free proficiency.
Mongoose Publishing's Quintessential Fighter. It was basically a 100gp rapier that's disguised as a cane, iirc the stats.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/2323587532_f981459339.jpg?v=0
I couldn't find a better picture, but note the card on the right. :smallsmile:

Seatbelt
2008-10-26, 08:13 PM
and make the fail into a heavy pointed weight,

That drives deep into the souls of all monks everywhere.

Roderick_BR
2008-10-26, 08:24 PM
That could be doable with a razor sharp inner edge, or molecular monofilament for the net itself. Cuts through like dental floss wire though Jello. It wouldn't make a very good net then though.
Reminds me of the lazer trap scene in the first Resident Evil movie...