PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Space Marine Chapter

Baxter190
2008-10-24, 04:25 PM
Now, I don't if this quite goes here, sense this is d20 hombrew, but the non-d20 gaming forum doesn't say homebrew, so I'm posting it here. If this is wrong, please have this moved by a mod.

Anyway, I need help with making my hombrew space marine chapter. So far I;ve had /tg/ help me, but they got...distracted. You cans till find the thread on /tg/, but i guess this would probably work better. Here's the info:

Name: Dogs of War
Gene-seed: Modified Space Wolf Gene-seed
Chapter Home World: Cadia
Colors: Mainly Gold, with Black trim
Symbol: Dog of some sort, don't know yet
Specialization: highly mobile, high firepower army (Veteran Assault Marines with guns!? Land Speeders!? Bikes!? UNTHINKABLE!), with baddass tanks to back them up.
Desription: True grit, enhanced senses. unquestionable loyalty to the leader. plus badassness
Goals: Take back Cadia from the Chaos, and serve the Emperor.

Anyways, I need help with fluff and mechanics. Thanks

StoryKeeper
2008-10-24, 05:37 PM
Wait, this is for 40k the wargame, or that rpg that came out recently? I'm not sure if we do wargames...

Baxter190
2008-10-24, 05:47 PM
Wargame. This is for making an army for the game with models, and coming up with fluff.

StoryKeeper
2008-10-24, 05:50 PM
*goes to inform his farseer of the creation of a new chapter of mon-keigh... not that they don't already know.*

Xavion&Pavion
2008-10-24, 05:59 PM
Ahh, I see brother. Try haveing something horrible happen to the chapter in the past. Like my chapter, 9see sig) they had their homeworld cast into the warp by chaos. Now, they have an un-ending vendetta against the traitor legions. you could also make htem have a preferred enemy. And alos write up some Bad-ass fluff about your CM and give him an awesome background. (and if you have a friend who plays <insert race that chapter has vendetta against here> you can have thier commander be the #1 enemy of the chapter.

Baxter190
2008-10-24, 06:01 PM
Thier homeworld is CADIA. I think the current fluff has that horror ridden enough. I need a past, like what happened during the heresy, The grands fights they've been in, what great leader's do they have.

Baxter190
2008-10-24, 06:27 PM
Sorry for the double post, but how about this as a leader and the way the Dogs of War work:

Pack Alpha (going with the dog theme) Caninus is the current Alpha of all the pack leaders (Company leaders), having lead them in several attacks on Chaos and Dark Eldar, sometimes even outracing the Dark Eldar on the Battlefield, proving their legendary speed. However, he is most legendary not for his tactics of spped and firepower, but for the care that he holds for his Marnes. He has often retreated from battles that would be won if it puts his men at risk, and has often personally gone into combat to rescue his marines. He is also famous for his tactics of overwhelming speed, having his marines forgo assaults, as they make no sense when you could just gun them down, and uses of tactical retreats.

He often strikes with his high speed forces, deploys his troops from transports, which leave untill the Canines (tactical squads) need to be pulled outor the tanks arrive, and having powerful tanks reinforce them and move forward the line. The canines are used for securing advance linesd, and pinning down enemy offences till the Tanks arrive, when the transports come back to either pull them out or take them further up the battle.

Caninus, is well known for his exploits on Lazarus IV, where he single handidly stormed a Dark eldar fortress with nothing but a bolter, a chain sword, and a rocket launcher, just to save three of his marines from the Haemunculus. Another event he is famous for was his alliance with an Eldar craft world and their farseer Eldrad, when they siege a Sleenshi Chaos base. He persoanlly lead the assualt with the farseer, and is known throughout the not only the imperium, but the craftworlds as well, not for killing five deamons with just a bolt pistol, not for wrestling down a Chaos champion by himself, not for csaving the life of the farseer by putting himself in mortal danger, but by getting the farseer to say, "Not as planned"

Too mary sue?

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-24, 06:29 PM
Yes.

Not nearly GRIMDARK enough.

By the way, Space Wolf gene-seed is unstable, which is why the only Space Wolf successor chapter was terminated due to rampant mutations.

You should work that in as a dark secret or something.

Baxter190
2008-10-24, 07:11 PM
How about I make it so theyhave a fued with Dark Eldars? I think It makes sense, considering the way Dogs of war feel aobut their allies,

Bryn
2008-10-24, 07:54 PM
Quoting you in a kinda bizarre order here :smalltongue:

Thier homeworld is CADIA.
As a general principle, when writing 40k fluff, never touch areas that are highly important in GW fluff, because the fluff won't reflect it, and your work is extremely liable to being overruled by new information.

More specifically, if a Space Marine chapter operated with Cadia as its recruiting ground, this would have an enormous impact on the world. While Cadia is a fortress world with most of its population working either in or in support of the armed forces, these forces are the PDF and the Guard, and it is very unlikely that a Space Marine chapter would be able to have the degree of freedom it would want on a world controlled by these organisations.

It's also worth noting that Cadia, as a civilised world, isn't potentially great as a Space Marine recruitment planet in comparison to a feral world - especially for a chapter founded from the Space Wolves. The civilians are already stuck in roles in Imperial society and don't face the continual fighting between themselves that would make them perfect for recruitment. Cadians will be familiar with Guard tactics, not Marine tactics, before they can even be considered for recruiting.

As an alternative, consider having them hail from a Cadia-like Fortress World which doesn't have the same status as the key point in the defence of the Cadian Gate or the same importance for the Imperial Guard. Devising your own planet gives you a lot of freedom, and avoids a lot of baggage you might not want.

What is it about Cadia that you want to use in your Chapter? Take those things, and leave the rest. A planet devastated in a long war against Chaos? Plenty of those about. A planet with a significant military proportion of the population? Grab that, it's an interesting idea. Also consider adding something Space-Wolves y to reflect their founder - give them a tradition of warrior leaders, or have large animals that the populace hunts, etc.

This way, you have a unique planet to match a unique chapter.

Now, I don't if this quite goes here, sense this is d20 hombrew, but the non-d20 gaming forum doesn't say homebrew, so I'm posting it here. If this is wrong, please have this moved by a mod.
So far, all the fine 40k threads of this board have existed either in Media Discussions or Gaming (Other Games), but this works, I suppose.

Gene-seed: Modified Space Wolf Gene-seed
Chapter Home World: Cadia
Colors: Mainly Gold, with Black trim
Symbol: Dog of some sort, don't know yet
Specialization: highly mobile, high firepower army (Veteran Assault Marines with guns!? Land Speeders!? Bikes!? UNTHINKABLE!), with baddass tanks to back them up.
Desription: True grit, enhanced senses. unquestionable loyalty to the leader. plus badassness
Goals: Take back Cadia from the Chaos, and serve the Emperor.
Tactics-wise, it sounds fairly typical of a Marine chapter - high mobility and fast strikes are effectively the Space Marines' modus operandi, and their equipment is designed towards this. Likewise, most Marines are pretty badass (except those damn Pretty Marines ¬¬)

Abaddon did not entirely conquer Cadia in the 13th Black Crusade. The Imperium controls space, and thus they have the ability to pound the Chaos forces from orbit while the Chaos forces are bound to lose the war without reinforcements. The goal of taking back Cadia may not be such a difficult one.

Now some general things you might be interested in addressing, if only for completeness.

Which Founding was your chapter created in? Perhaps it would be better to decide which year that would be. Presumably some time before the Black Crusades if you want those to turn up in your fluff, but are they a recent chapter or an older one?

What is the current strength of your chapter? Have they been devastated by war (if so, which war?) or are they at effectively full strength?

What were the circumstances of their Founding?

How do they regard the Emperor and Leman Russ (presumably the most important Primarch to them as a Space Wolves successor)? Do they think the Emprah is a god, or just a super-tough human?

Who have they fought against most? Presumably this would be Chaos.

What are their relations like with the rest of the Imperium? Do they have any enemies?

Too mary sue?
I'm afraid so. Don't use Eldrad. Don't make him famous throughout the Craftworlds - the Eldar are unlikely to hold a mon'keigh in such high esteem. Drop hints that the story may be exaggerated after many retellings. Alternatively, tone them down. Though 40k runs on the Rule of Cool, the individual powers of any one person in recent times (as opposed to the Heresy) are fairly well-defined, and this is too much. Make it a legend, or reduce it.

He is also famous for his tactics of overwhelming speed, having his marines forgo assaults, as they make no sense when you could just gun them down, and uses of tactical retreats.
Isn't this a Space Wolf successor, not a Reasonable Marine successor? :smalltongue:

This whole 'realism and sense' thing conflicts greatly with the over-the-top exploits described previously. Pick one tone or the other - crazy, wild, over-the-top and assaulting or careful, considering, and Reasonable.

I suggest the former.

Well, I hope somewhere in that honkin'-wall-o'-text there was something vaguely useful. :smallamused:

chiasaur11
2008-10-24, 08:42 PM
Hmm...

Are there any official space marine chapters that use dinosaurs in combat?

Just a thought...

Sanzh
2008-10-24, 10:54 PM
Hmm...

Are there any official space marine chapters that use dinosaurs in combat?

Just a thought...

Nope. Because the Imperial Guard (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/tmrr1.htm) already has a monopoly on dinosaurs. Technically they aren't really dinos, but it's close enough.

Baxter190
2008-10-25, 08:48 AM
As a general principle, when writing 40k fluff, never touch areas that are highly important in GW fluff, because the fluff won't reflect it, and your work is extremely liable to being overruled by new information.

More specifically, if a Space Marine chapter operated with Cadia as its recruiting ground, this would have an enormous impact on the world. While Cadia is a fortress world with most of its population working either in or in support of the armed forces, these forces are the PDF and the Guard, and it is very unlikely that a Space Marine chapter would be able to have the degree of freedom it would want on a world controlled by these organisations.

It's also worth noting that Cadia, as a civilised world, isn't potentially great as a Space Marine recruitment planet in comparison to a feral world - especially for a chapter founded from the Space Wolves. The civilians are already stuck in roles in Imperial society and don't face the continual fighting between themselves that would make them perfect for recruitment. Cadians will be familiar with Guard tactics, not Marine tactics, before they can even be considered for recruiting.

As an alternative, consider having them hail from a Cadia-like Fortress World which doesn't have the same status as the key point in the defence of the Cadian Gate or the same importance for the Imperial Guard. Devising your own planet gives you a lot of freedom, and avoids a lot of baggage you might not want.

What is it about Cadia that you want to use in your Chapter? Take those things, and leave the rest. A planet devastated in a long war against Chaos? Plenty of those about. A planet with a significant military proportion of the population? Grab that, it's an interesting idea. Also consider adding something Space-Wolves y to reflect their founder - give them a tradition of warrior leaders, or have large animals that the populace hunts, etc.

This way, you have a unique planet to match a unique chapter.

I wanted a war torn world with a heavy military population, but I don't want them to be space wolves clones (lol at the irony of the gen-seed). How about a temperate planet on the eastern fringe, constantly under attack from Dark Eldar, because of rich amounts of rescourses. Because they know what DE do to people they capture, they have developed at true sense of loyalty, refusing to leave a man behind. Also, the world is ruled by packs, who ruler anywhere from small villages to cities. Strength itself is not important, but your ability to lead is what rules.

Tactics-wise, it sounds fairly typical of a Marine chapter - high mobility and fast strikes are effectively the Space Marines' modus operandi, and their equipment is designed towards this. Likewise, most Marines are pretty badass (except those damn Pretty Marines ¬¬)

Well, when you think of marines, you think of things like Blood angels who charge head on with chain swords, and risk their lives stupidly. I wanted the Dgos of war to be about when on the attack sheer speed and menuverability (sp?), with tanks beacking them up, and when on the defense, marines defending places with their tansk, and quite willing to make tactical retreats.

Abaddon did not entirely conquer Cadia in the 13th Black Crusade. The Imperium controls space, and thus they have the ability to pound the Chaos forces from orbit while the Chaos forces are bound to lose the war without reinforcements. The goal of taking back Cadia may not be such a difficult one.

The marines aren't taking it back. Not because of tactics, just because it wouldn't be grimdark enough if they did. :smallwink:

Now some general things you might be interested in addressing, if only for completeness.

Which Founding was your chapter created in? Perhaps it would be better to decide which year that would be. Presumably some time before the Black Crusades if you want those to turn up in your fluff, but are they a recent chapter or an older one?

What is the current strength of your chapter? Have they been devastated by war (if so, which war?) or are they at effectively full strength?

What were the circumstances of their Founding?

How do they regard the Emperor and Leman Russ (presumably the most important Primarch to them as a Space Wolves successor)? Do they think the Emprah is a god, or just a super-tough human?

Who have they fought against most? Presumably this would be Chaos.

What are their relations like with the rest of the Imperium? Do they have any enemies?

1.) They were founded in the second founding, after the first batch of botched space wolves clones. They modified the gen-seed so such a thing wouldn't happen again, but there was, sideffects....

2.) They are currently just less than full strength,but what space marine chapter ever is full? :smalltongue: But yeah, they're basically about to go on a crusade against all the dark Eldar, and proably will team up with Eldar while they're doing it. I figured I'd use Eldar as their main xeno allies, becuase the Eldar care so much about their own since they may go extict any day, and the Dark Eldar as enmies becuase what they do to their enemies.

3.)They feel the emperor is a mythological entity, but not as most humans do. Instead they feel he is the human form a great canine spirit, destined to bring all humans into one pack, na dlead them against all other alien packs (Eldar excluded). The Fell Lemun Russ was the first Dog of War, and thathe was the best cub of the emporer for being able to best him in two challenges

4.) Obvious by now, the Dark Eldar

5.) They don't really think well of the inquisition, since they put so many humans to death when they should be helping bring humans into one pack. They are notorius for basically telling them to f#ck off when the inquisition tries to investigate them. As for the other chapters, they feel great friendship with the spcae wolves, obviously, and with the blood angels, for their ferociousness in battle.

I'm afraid so. Don't use Eldrad. Don't make him famous throughout the Craftworlds - the Eldar are unlikely to hold a mon'keigh in such high esteem. Drop hints that the story may be exaggerated after many retellings. Alternatively, tone them down. Though 40k runs on the Rule of Cool, the individual powers of any one person in recent times (as opposed to the Heresy) are fairly well-defined, and this is too much. Make it a legend, or reduce it.

I'll make it a legend amoung humans and Eldar. Amoung humans it has been beefed up, while Eldar tone it down alot. Instead of it happening to thei current chapter leader, how about ti happened to the original, cementing their status as the best when dealing with the Eldar?

Isn't this a Space Wolf successor, not a Reasonable Marine successor? :smalltongue:

I wanted gritty, dogs of war with some emperor-damned common sense.

This whole 'realism and sense' thing conflicts greatly with the over-the-top exploits described previously. Pick one tone or the other - crazy, wild, over-the-top and assaulting or careful, considering, and Reasonable.

I suggest the former.

I'm going with the former, but when not in combat basically a boys club, with wild nights drinking, and trying to get the sorita's to party with them.

Bryn
2008-10-25, 09:41 AM
All of that sounds pretty much fine then, and the extended canine metaphor is great :smallamused:

The new homeworld sounds great. The use of Dark Eldar attacks to justify 'no-one gets left behind' is a good idea, and definitely very reasonable under the circumstances.

The explanation of what you meant with their tactics makes sense, and reminds me of the Raven Guard in terms of hitting the enemy hard at a weak point in their lines.

Fluff claims that the Space Wolves only ever founded the Wolf Brothers, but I think it's fair enough to have the Dogs of War be a Space Wolves successor. If I were you, though, I'd move them on to a slightly later Founding, possibly the Third, as by that time the problems with the Wolf Brothers would have been noticed.

All in all, with this new post, it definitely sounds like a reasonably good, well-defined Chapter. :smallsmile:

Baxter190
2008-10-25, 12:56 PM
Sweet, thanks. Want to help me come up with more stuff for them? I'm not sure if I want to give them terminators, but I think they could serve the rescue squad well, as the people sent to retreive the captured or behind enemy lines. Got any more fluff ideas?

chiasaur11
2008-10-25, 01:03 PM
Nope. Because the Imperial Guard (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/tmrr1.htm) already has a monopoly on dinosaurs. Technically they aren't really dinos, but it's close enough.

And once again, the guard scoops the marines and laughs behind their enormous backs.

Baxter190
2008-10-25, 02:06 PM
they laugh, until the marines turn around and whip out the chain swords :smallwink: but can we please get back on topic?

chiasaur11
2008-10-25, 02:18 PM
they laugh, until the marines turn around and whip out the chain swords :smallwink: but can we please get back on topic?

That's why the guard laughs BEHIND their backs.

In front of them, they tend to get exploded.

On topic: The Dark Eldar "no man left behind" thing is a very nice touch.

Baxter190
2008-10-25, 07:52 PM
Cool. So, anyone else got homebrewed armies they want to show off, or want help with?

WychWeird
2008-10-26, 05:31 PM
Is this chapter still coming from Cadia? Have you considered a chapter that recruits from a hive planet (like Necromunda) - the gangers would be used to hit and run/lightning strike tactics which would feed into fluff.

The underhive will be aware of mutants and psykers which could lead to the resurfacing of the genetic instability found with the Space Wolves geneplasm.

The planet could be on an out of the way warp gate and thus Xeno invaders could be incorporated more easily: Eldar want to safe-guard the site as the Dark Eldar keep launching strike attacks from it. That gives a lead into your DE hatred, again, that could support your fluff?

Baxter190
2008-10-26, 07:15 PM
Its not coming from cadia, but from a non-hive, heavily militarized planet. I like the idea of the out of the way warp gate though, it would help explain other than the rich resources why the Eldar and Dark Eldar are there. Also, i have a question on my color scheme. I know I'm going with Gold and Black, but should the black just go the trim, or should it go as my pauldron color? Also, can't decide wheather or not to make the guns red or black. Any ideas?

Demented
2008-10-26, 09:40 PM
The un-mary-sue version:

Pack Alpha (going with the dog theme) Caninus is the current Alpha of all the pack leaders (Company leaders), having proven his mettle in numerous retreats from the armies of Chaos and Dark Eldar, sometimes even outracing the Dark Eldar on the Battlefield. However, he is most remembered for the obsessive value that he puts on his Marnes, not his efficiency in retreating. He has often retreated from battles that would be won if it puts his men at risk, and has often personally gone into combat if it meant sparing [s]his favorite concubine a member of his pack from the dangers of battle. He is also famous for his evasive tactics and frequent tactical retreats, preferring to avoid assaults in favor of allowing his marines the option to leave the battlefield as soon as they risk smudges on their armor.

He often strikes with his high speed forces, deploys his troops from transports, which remain while the Canines (tactical squads) stay as far out of danger as possible, and need to be pulled out or heavy tanks arrive. The canines are used for securing advance linesd, and observing enemy offences till the Tanks arrive, when the transports either pull them out or, less frequently, take them further up the battle.

Caninus, is widely known for his exploits on Lazarus IV, where he was captured while single handidly storming a Dark eldar fortress with nothing but a bolter, a chain sword, a pink tutu, and a rocket launcher, just to save three of his marines from the Haemunculus' small business seminar. Another event he is famous for was his alliance with an Eldar craft world and their farseer Eldrad, when they siege a Sleenshi Chaos base. He persoanlly lead the assualt, to the annoyance of the farseer, and is known throughout not only the imperium, but the craftworlds as well, for not killing five deamons when he had the chance, for avoiding an opportunity to wrestle down a Chaos champion by himself, and for simply not being there to save the life of the farseer whom had been squarely left in mortal danger. The farseer's evaluation of the so-called 'alliance' was summed up in both a frank and uncharacteristic comment: "Not as planned".

:smallbiggrin:

WychWeird
2008-10-27, 03:06 PM
I did a search online for a Space Marine template so that you could colour in designs and see how they work - I stumbled across something much more interesting...
Online Space Marine Painter (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smp.php) - there are other painters available on the site and there's a tutorial link at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps! (An example of the results: here (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sms.php?bpe=000000&bpj=000000&bp=000000&bpc=000000&hdt=000000&hdm=000000&hdl=000000&ey=FFFFFF&er=000000&pi=EDDF82&nk=0D0303&ch=000000&eg=EDDF82&sk=EDDF82&abs=000000&bt=000000&cod=000000&ull=000000&lk=EDDF82&lll=000000&lft=000000&url=000000&rk=EDDF82&lrl=000000&rft=000000&slt=EDDF82&sli=000000&srt=EDDF82&sri=000000&ula=000000&lel=000000&lla=000000&lw=000000&lh=000000&ura=000000&rel=000000&rla=000000&rw=000000&rh=000000&bg=ffffff&rb=545252&gr=EDDF82&))

I started creating a backstory for a non-Chapter: The Redemptors - when the various Chapters were drawn to Horus and the gods of Chaos there were a few Marines who did not succumb, these parted company from their falling brethern and tried to make their way back 'home'. Over time these Marines banded together and foreswore their Chapter allegiances to rededicate to the Emperor and each other.

The intention was to use these as deep striking troops with fewer vehicle units but potentially with a higher portion of Grey Knight style veterans - but hey, I never fleshed them out much more (there was the potential for chaos mutations but the marines affected would become suicide troops.)

Baxter190
2008-10-27, 04:08 PM
I like the redemptors idea. how about their symbol be a pyramid, for their loyalty for the emperor.

Quayleman
2008-10-27, 04:34 PM
Just a thought:

If they are defending against Dark Eldar raids, then its probably more important to have fast comms and deployment. Maby go with a chapter that is more incorporated into the politics of their homeworlds and holds a larger than normal standing navy as to quickly move troops to where they need to go.

I'd also consitter maby something drop pod heavy?

Baxter190
2008-10-27, 05:35 PM
They are reliant on heavy speed, but the reason I didn't put drop pods in there is because, well, I can't afford any yet. Too broke :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, as was pointed out, they're too mary sue. Needs more grimdark. any suggestions on how to make them grimdark enough?

Kittenofdeath
2008-10-29, 08:33 AM
They are reliant on heavy speed, but the reason I didn't put drop pods in there is because, well, I can't afford any yet. Too broke :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, as was pointed out, they're too mary sue. Needs more grimdark. any suggestions on how to make them grimdark enough?

dont take drop pods, if your after high speed death, take a chapter master with a bike, then you can do away with all but one or two tactical squads to provide fire support while you feild whole bike squads as troop choices (and scoreing units) though there are merits to taking drop pods, such as droping a chapter master and honour guard all with auxilary grenade launchers, that would definately get the high speed advance your looking for while still being the stand back and shoot type

WychWeird
2008-10-30, 12:28 PM
Some of the posts in this thread started my mind sparking into some ideas to weave into fluff, this is what I have so far but if it's going the wrong way just ignore it and I'll let the rest of the ideas whither away (when I get some time to add to it!)
Gene-seed: Unofficially credited as genetically refined Space Wolf Gene-seed
Chapter Home World: Canidae
Colours: Gold with black trim, reflecting the Canidae Furiosus Wolf
Symbol: Wolf paw-print
Specialization: Hit and run tactical specialists
Description: Ruthless and determined, the Dogs of War rely on exploiting the enemy’s weak points with intense firepower before fading away to strike viciously from an unexpected quarter
Goals: Serve the Emperor

Canidae was a planet with an abundance of mineral resources that were largely unexploited due to it’s location on the fringes of the Imperium. Circumstances changed when Dark Eldar started launching attacks against Imperium forces and facilities, decimating the local population and reducing the standing Imperial Guard to a few isolated outposts. Due to various other commitments of existing resources at that time, the Index Astartes took the unusual route of despatching a newly raised and, at that time, unnamed Chapter from the 14th Founding to facilitate the recovery of Canidae, a task normally entrusted to established Chapters.

The Chapter's history, known as The Howlings, records that the initial drop to the surface was intercepted by the Dark Eldar forces causing severe casualties which forced the Marines to retreat into the mountains where the employed hit and run tactics to harass and disrupt the enemy's plans. Whilst this succeeded in reducing the number and severity of attacks on surrounding systems it did little to prevent the Dark Eldar on Canidae who mounted increasing pressure on the infant Chapter with the aim of wiping it out. It is during this time that The Howlings recount the many exploits of the first Chapter Master, Lupus, along with the honours of the Chapter.

Lupus was at the forefront of the running battles with the Dark Eldar, lending his strength, tactical knowledge and leadership in the most brutal fighting. It was during a particularly vicious counter-strike by the Dark Eldar that the squad Lupus was leading was destroyed and the position over-run, preventing the Apothecaries from offering The Emperor's Peace to the gravely wounded survivors and recovery of their gene-seed. In the aftermath of the battle, a Dark Eldar Haemonculus stalked the grounds inflicting tortuous agonies on the fallen Marines until he came across the dying Lupus. The Haemonculus was aware of the Chapter’s organisation and personalities so quickly deduced that he had within his grasp the leader. He directed his minions to stabilise Lupus and transfer him back to his private sanctum for his further pleasure while he formulated plans on how best to capitalise on his bounty. Lupus awoke to find himself restrained whilst his ears were assaulted with pain-racked howling. Lupus could just about make out the shape of a great Furiosus Wolf, a native inhabitant to Canidae, which he could see was being tortured by the Haemonculus. Lupus had studied the wolves during lulls in combat and had garnered a great respect for them and their hunting skills where members of the pack would distract a much larger opponent allowing others to rush in and hamstring the beast, bringing it down. Seeing such a beast in pain infuriated Lupus, drawing the Haemonculus’ attention from the wolf onto himself. The master of pain inflicted terrible hurt upon Lupus, forcing his cries of pain into howls of agony, echoing the suffering of the wolf earlier. With anger fuelled by the torture of both himself and the wolf, Lupus managed to break free of his bonds, throwing himself out of the torture device and landing beside the wolf. Grabbing a surgical blade, Lupus slashed the restraints pinning the wolf down and turned on the Haemonculus, forcing him to retreat from the enraged Chapter Master. Whether the Dark Eldar’s pride or ego dismissed the wolf out of mind will never be known but whilst he was focussed on the approaching Lupus, the wolf dashed from the shadows and hamstrung him. The Haemonculus dropped to the floor, raising his arm to sink a hypodermic into the wolf’s shoulder as the wolf leapt in and tore through the Haemonculus’ throat, each ending the other’s life. Lupus stood dazed for a short while, thanking the Emperor and the wolf for his survival before lifting the body of the wolf and carrying it out. No tales are recorded of Lupus’ journey back to the Command Headquarters only that Lupus walked back carrying the wolf.

The Howlings record that Lupus did not speak until he reached the Inner Sanctum and laid it’s body at the altar, finally breaking his silence by saying, “My name is Lupus and this wolf saved my life. Let us accord full honours upon this, our fallen battle-brother. Let his sacrifice be recorded in the Chapter Histories and that our colours be that of his.” It is interesting to note that The Howlings do not record Lupus’ original name but do record the gold with black trim armour patterning that has been used since.

Canidae = Latin name for the family wolves come from
Furiosus = Latin for furious (also a dreadnought armour?)

And I played with the bolterandchainsword website Space Marine Painter v5 to come up with this: Gold with black (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smsbeta.php?bpe=4F4E43&bpj=F5E90A&bp=F5E90A&bpc=F5E90A&hdt=000000&hdm=F5E90A&hdl=F5E90A&ey=F5E90A&er=F5E90A&pi=000000&nk=F5E90A&ch=F5E90A&eg=EDEAAB&sk=F2F0BF&abs=F5E90A&bt=000000&cod=F5E90A&ull=F5E90A&lk=000000&lll=F5E90A&lft=F5E90A&url=F5E90A&rk=000000&lrl=F5E90A&rft=F5E90A&slt=000000&sli=F5E90A&srt=000000&sri=F5E90A&ula=F5E90A&lel=000000&lla=F5E90A&lw=000000&lh=F5E90A&ura=F5E90A&rel=000000&rla=F5E90A&rw=000000&rh=F5E90A&bg=ffffff&rb=403E1D&gr=000000&wg=true&dm2=true&veti=FFFFFF&bs=000000&rkg1=FFFFFF&blt=000000)

Kittenofdeath
2008-10-30, 12:49 PM
Furiosus = Latin for furious (also a dreadnought armour?)

dreadnought for the blood angels, but i think the spelling is a little diffrent

Destro_Yersul
2008-10-30, 01:01 PM
It is. The Blood Angels have a Furioso Dreadnought. Don't go confusing old Latin with High Gothic, heretic. :smalltongue:

Kittenofdeath
2008-10-31, 07:30 AM
It is. The Blood Angels have a Furioso Dreadnought. Don't go confusing old Latin with High Gothic, heretic. :smalltongue:

the second is a dirivitive of the first, only a true and fanatical puritan would call such a minor error heresy, and any fool can see that such unyeilding rulings will lead to the downfall of mankind, no mater how strong the faith of the soldiers

Baxter190
2008-11-01, 10:16 AM
Arlight, so I'm good now. However, how about we do a vote up Chapter? It would be like the vote up a monster thing we do already. Any nominations for themes?

Kittenofdeath
2008-11-01, 10:53 AM
what are the things we can vote for?
name
gene-seed purity/origin
homeworld/fleet
symbol
colour
force specialtys
heros
well thats all i can think of

Baxter190
2008-11-01, 11:07 AM
Need a theme, like blood angels have, well, angels.

Kittenofdeath
2008-11-01, 11:16 AM
id be willing to wager that at least 1 in 3 chapters have the word "angel" in their name, hell, adeptus artestrys means death (well, one of the words does, dont know which)

Baxter190
2008-11-01, 11:24 AM
Lets do it in this order:

Theme:
Name:
Colors:
Symbol:
Homeworld/Fleet:
Force Specialty:
Heroes:

So, lets come up with some themes.

Angels,
Templars,
Death,
Machines,
Priests,
Paladins,
Dogs,
Vikings,
Birds,
Cats,
Redeemed,
Lizards,
Standard,
Fists

Any more theme ideas?

Kittenofdeath
2008-11-01, 11:48 AM
Angels= done to death, oh my god, done to death
Templars= methinks thats been done, probibly by the black templars
Death= to cliche
Machines= maybe, but the iron hands have already done most of the stuff we could do
Priests= chaplins, not preists
Paladins= thats verry generic
Dogs= too much like wolves
Vikings= never liked vikings much
Birds= thats the front runner so far
Cats= cats? space marines with ears and fluffy tails, hell yeah, throw in catgirl routines for captains and i will go with this to the grave
Redeemed= redemtion crusade? nah, not as done as angles, but still, unless we do something realy cool for them to be redeemed from, i aint voting for this one
Lizards= not verry inspiring
Standard= ... huh?
Fists= two of the most well known chapters already got this one, we might get sued just for suggesting it

ok, for the lolness i vote cats, but i'll write up all the stuff i can think of

scouts
limited numbers
allys
seige workers
psykers
xeno hunting
chaos hunting
psyker hunting
bikers
suicide

Baxter190
2008-11-01, 11:56 AM
Well, right now I'm just sending up nominatiosn, I'm going to make a thread for this. The lizard on was for thing like snakes, dragons, dinosaurs, that sort of thing. The standard was the Ultra-marine eske theme, where they are just the standard space marines. Cats where for things like lions, cougars, cheetahs, and tigers.

So yeah, I'll add your ideas

Angels,
Templars,
Death,
Machines,
Priests,
Paladins,
Dogs,
Vikings,
Birds,
Cats,
Redeemed,