PDA

View Full Version : Useless Trait

AetherFox
2008-10-24, 07:09 PM
I know that the 'traits' from Unearthed Arcana aren't supposed to be particularly useful so much as fluff, but what is the point of the 'brawler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#brawler)' trait?!

It would be fine, if not for the special at the bottom. Unless of course you really wanted that +1 grapple.

Does anyone know of a single character build in which the brawler trait would actually be useful?

monty
2008-10-24, 07:12 PM
Dedicated grappler, maybe? Of course, then you're even more screwed against anything better than you at grappling (or, gods forbid, FoM).

So yeah, it really sucks. Don't pick it, then.

BRC
2008-10-24, 07:38 PM
Pure Caster who specializes in support magic and is worried about getting grappled.

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 07:43 PM
Weird... someone going for Reaping Mauler and for some insane reason not taking Improved Unarmed Strike at first level?

Oh! How about a druid?

Jack_Simth
2008-10-24, 07:43 PM
Dedicated grappler, maybe? Of course, then you're even more screwed against anything better than you at grappling (or, gods forbid, FoM).

Catch:
Improved Unarmed Strike is a requirement for Improved Grapple - and if you're a dedicated grappler, what is one of the more important feats?

So yeah, it really sucks. Don't pick it, then.
I think I'd need to agree on this aspect.

snoopy13a
2008-10-24, 07:47 PM
A boxer who only fights in the ring against unarmed opponents where only non-lethal damage is used?

I think the description for the illiterate trait is fairly funny:

"Characters with this trait might be sensitive about not being able to read, or they might not value 'book learnin'.'"

Inyssius Tor
2008-10-24, 07:47 PM
Weird... someone going for Reaping Mauler and for some insane reason not taking Improved Unarmed Strike at first level?

Oh! How about a druid?

A druid who likes wrestling things in his human form? Ooooo-kaaay...

Asbestos
2008-10-24, 07:48 PM

Oh right :smallredface: Scratch that.

AetherFox
2008-10-24, 07:58 PM

Mmmm. Not to beat a dead horse, but even if you went into super-flying-animal mode, the trait doesn't apply to natural weapons. The only sane use for it i can think of is this:

Player: I poke the drunken man until he shows a response.
DM (mad): Ok, he spins around in his seat and punches you. Does a... (Rolls) 15 hit?
Player: No. I continue poking.
DM: Grrr. Acutally, he has the brawler trait. He hits. You fall unconsious.
Player: What?! I have way more than... (Checks character sheet) 5 hit points!
DM: Yeah, well, you know what else hits? Me. With my falcon punch. (Picks up gamecube controller.) Lets do this.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-24, 08:03 PM
DM: Yeah, well, you know what else hits? Me. With my falcon punch. (Picks up gamecube controller.) Lets do this.

Man, if 4e makes a Monk that doesn't suck, I will roll one for the sole purpose of shouting "FALCON PUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH" whenever I crit with an unarmed attack :smalltongue:

UglyPanda
2008-10-24, 08:25 PM
I cannot decide whether this was an oversight or someone honestly believed that +1 to grapples and unarmed strikes was overpowered. Perhaps it was the game designer's intent that traits not be useful.

Man, if 4e makes a Monk that doesn't suck, I will roll one for the sole purpose of shouting "FALCON PUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH" whenever I crit with an unarmed attack :smalltongue:
Seems like a Kensai idea. Flaming Burst Sonic Burst (For the bird screech) Fists, Lightning Burst Knees.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-24, 08:37 PM
I've got it. A dedicated grappler who has few-to-no feats to spare. He takes this trait along with Monk one at first level in a game that's starting at 20 and uses one of the other player's Wizards doing the chaos shuffle to trash IUS. Because of the way you apply bonuses, you can make it work. It's nowhere near worth it, but you can get the benefit.

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-24, 08:40 PM

No items. Fox only. Final Destination

monty
2008-10-25, 12:09 AM
I've got it. A dedicated grappler who has few-to-no feats to spare. He takes this trait along with Monk one at first level in a game that's starting at 20 and uses one of the other player's Wizards doing the chaos shuffle to trash IUS. Because of the way you apply bonuses, you can make it work. It's nowhere near worth it, but you can get the benefit.

Traits are applied before your first level, I think.

Adumbration
2008-10-25, 05:51 AM
A monk? A monk's Unarmed Strike isn't a feat, if I remember correct...

AetherFox
2008-10-25, 09:44 AM
They get IUS at first level.

monty
2008-10-25, 12:32 PM
A monk? A monk's Unarmed Strike isn't a feat, if I remember correct...

Unarmed Strike

At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.

Their unarmed strike itself isn't, but IUS is part of it.

hotel_papa
2008-10-26, 08:21 AM
Actually, in one of my copies of UA, I have that trait crossed out, with the words EPIC FAIL written over it.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

HP.

Kris Strife
2008-10-26, 08:47 AM
Are these traits related to the 99 traits from the DMG?

Vexxation
2008-10-26, 08:51 AM
No items. Fox only. Final Destination

But Fox is cheap!
His Down+B reflection move is way too powerful if used up close.

Nerf Fox!

Sty2000
2008-10-27, 06:49 PM
innatentive trait is completely useless +1 to any complex check then -4 from it! (arent we doing something useful here?)

@vexx
sonic is cheaper, and you wanna battle you, me and solid snake brawl style! *messes around with the wii*

note: if they redo modern d20 4ed style; ima make a commando snake style just for the heck of it (up for debate whether it's solid or naked snake)

monty
2008-10-27, 06:54 PM
innatentive trait is completely useless +1 to any complex check then -4 from it! (arent we doing something useful here?)

No, it's +1 to a simple check and -4 to complex checks based on the same skill. It only matters if you're using the complex skill checks variant.

Sty2000
2008-10-27, 07:03 PM
oh i misread i thought it was entirely oxymoronic