PDA

View Full Version : Pro or anti-gun?

Belkarsbadside1
2008-10-24, 07:46 PM
Alright, I just came from a debate against a few pro-gun people. II was wondering who here is pro or anti gun and why? I am anti-gun. I do not want this to turn into an insult fest so keep it civil please.

BRC
2008-10-24, 07:47 PM
This thread is political in nature, and therefore against the forum rules, please remain calm, a mod will be by to lock it shortly.

@v I said Please remain calm.

Belkarsbadside1
2008-10-24, 07:48 PM
soryy thought it was just a moral debate. o well.
Shoot NEVER MIND. FLEE PEOPLE. FLEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-10-24, 07:59 PM
Pro-gun.

And as for avoiding arguments, I'd say the best way is to not post this thread... :smallwink:

A gun is a tool, nothing more. Unfortunatly, people see it as more... Easy and unearned power (I'm a small arms instructor, and I've dealt with LOTS of attitude problems at the range. My solution? "Ground your weapon, and step back from the firing line."), penis extender, coolness increaser.

A gun is none of that. It's the shooter's responsability to know what they are doing, and when to draw against another human being.

Unfortunatly, it's culture, not tools or laws, that determine the violence levels in a society. Washington D.C. ha s the strictest gun laws in the nation, yet remains the Murder Capital of the U.S. States that have gone to Concealed Carry laws have all seen a DROP in crime...

Make of it what you will...

snoopy13a
2008-10-24, 08:01 PM
Couldn't most topics be considered political?

I'm not a huge fan of guns and I don't own any myself but I believe that people should be able to own rifles and shotguns for hunting and non-automatic pistols for self-protection.

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-24, 08:04 PM
non-automatic pistols for self-protection.

Clarification: "Automatic" when referring to pistols, may refer to semi-automatic handguns.

The term is a holdover from the early 20th century when semiautomatic handguns were known as "auto-loaders", ie, automatics.

A handgun that fires like a machine gun is referred to as a machine pistol or submachine gun in my experience.

I think you may have meant something different.

Belkarsbadside1
2008-10-24, 08:05 PM
wait... is my thread being blocked or not?

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-24, 08:12 PM
Ok, I'm not 100% on this, but simply clarifying something (a neutral act) or stating an orientation (Republican, GLBT, etc) seems to be allowable, as there is a LGBT thread on the same page as this one.

And LGBT politics can be as heated as any other political issue.

snoopy13a
2008-10-24, 08:12 PM
Technically, "automatic" when referring to pistols refers to semi-automatic handguns.

The term is a holdover from the early 20th century when semiautomatic handguns were known as "auto-loaders", ie, automatics.

I think you may have meant something different.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a gun expert. In fact, I know very little about them.

I suppose I meant revolvers which can only shoot a few times before having to reload as opposed to a gun with a clip. Thus, a gun that would be useful in defending one's home but less useful for committing crimes.

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-24, 08:14 PM

I suppose I meant revolvers which can only shoot a few times before having to reload as opposed to a gun with a clip. Thus, a gun that would be useful in defending one's home but less useful for committing crimes.

Pet peeve: It's called a magazine. A clip is something different.

A revolver is actually the most common gun used in the commission of crimes, according to the BATFE's list of guns most often recovered from crime scenes.

Semiautomatic firearms are less frequently used due to their higher cost.

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 08:14 PM
can i respond to surfing half orc, or is this to political?
from
EE

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-10-24, 08:18 PM
I think it depends on what you say. I'm pretty thick skinned, but our Mods tend to be thinner skinned.

There is always the Private Message...

reorith
2008-10-24, 08:19 PM

behold! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_loader) i know a dude that uses one of these and he can fire twelve shots in the same span it takes me to magdump 10+1.
also this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_(firearms)) vs. this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(ammunition))

EvilElitest
2008-10-24, 08:20 PM
I think it depends on what you say. I'm pretty thick skinned, but our Mods tend to be thinner skinned.

There is always the Private Message...

no its a political thing
from
EE

Roland St. Jude
2008-10-24, 08:24 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: The Sheriff is pro-fictional guns and also anti-political threads. For the record, he's also incredibly thick-skinned and stoic in the face of everything; the Forum Rules, however, are very clear about having political discussions in the Playground - don't. There's another active thread on guns that is more general and less political (and less divisive) in nature. If you have non-political gun talk to do, please do it there.