PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars SE Crime Lord vs Officer

Jack Zander
2008-10-24, 09:03 PM
Am I missing something or is the Crime Lord much better than the Officer? Crime Lords get a talent every single level (with some really nice trees to pick from) and officers get to share their hard earned talents with their allies (most of whom can't use them well because they require a skill check to be made, or simply don't stack with yours so why bother?)

Ascension
2008-10-24, 11:19 PM
Come on, isn't it obvious that Jabba the Hutt is more awesome than Grand Moff Tarkin? Crime Lords should be better. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2008-10-24, 11:30 PM
The officer class's Share Talent works best when the officer's with a group of Tactics-trained Soldiers/Jedi... they can impart Tough as Nails, Indomitable, Cover Fire, etc. onto all of their allies, or grant tactics-trained allies the ability to designate targets for maximum damage. That said, Crime Lord's excessive number of talents allows them to have a large number of abilities to grant their minions...

It's kinda like the Star Wars Miniatures game: a bunch of officer-type characters with good Commander Effects can double, or even triple, the power of even a lowly Stormtrooper. (Vader, Imperial Commander gives a standard Stormie almost as much defense as he has, Mandalorian Captains give their allies Twin Attack, which stacks with Mandalorian Quartermasters' +4 to attack to all allies within 6...)

Lemur
2008-10-25, 12:59 AM
If you're interested in having underlings, than Crime Lord is the better option. Officer is more about buffing and setting up combos, sort of an extension of the Noble. They're really two entirely different sorts of classes, I'm not sure why you picked these two to compare each other.

For example, sharing Weaken Resolve with your party members can wreak havoc on enemy troops, sharing Cover Fire will increase the defense of the entire party, and sharing Ignite Fervor will get some significant increases in party damage.

The Crime Lord, on the other hand, is an entirely different sort of class. The Crime Lord focuses on getting supplementary forces directly under the player's control, as well as abilities which focus on saving its own skin. In overly brief terms, the Officer is a "buffbot" and the Crime Lord is a "beastmaster."

Jack Zander
2008-10-25, 06:12 AM
I was making a noble who focuses on buffing the party and spending her actions to give to her allies. I looked at both classes and found that I was able to do it better with crime lord, since it let me grab impel ally I and II and the entire influence talent tree. Of course, I'll probably go into Officer after that anyway to grab Trust and Assault Tactics. But the only useful talents I found I could share were Bolster Ally and Ignite Fervor.

Speaking of multiclassing Crime Lords/Officers, does Command Cover stack between the two classes?

Mando Knight
2008-10-25, 10:46 AM
The Officer gets access to the Leadership tree, which IMO is more useful for a buff-bot than the Influence tree. Any of the talent trees that are available to an Officer on odd levels are also available to him to share on even levels, plus the Inspiration tree. (except possibly the Naval Officer tree... the book isn't too clear on that...)

Plus, Officers get full BAB, while Crime Lords only get 3/4...

Jack Zander
2008-10-25, 11:36 PM
Ah, I didn't look at their Attack Bonus. That makes them a little more balanced IMO.