PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King reference?

Ellen
2008-10-24, 11:46 PM
Wait a second, Haley's mother's name is Mia? And there have been hints that she's not 100% human? And Pete's first question when she said she was in trouble was to ask if she was pregnant?

And we have an evil villain going after the very fabric of the universe in his mad lust for power (well, maybe his bored, nothing to watch on TV lust for power)?

Am I the only one thinking of The Dark Tower series?

Although Haley as an alternate version of Mordred seems a bit of a stretch, unless she suddenly reveals an ability to turn into a giant spider - or maybe just spider powers (not that I can really see Pete's last name suddenly turning out to be Parker, but it would play into a theme).

And this would make Roy, with the really powerful armaments being handed down in the family tree, Roland. Perhaps Red Cloak should change his name to the Red King?

Theodoriph
2008-10-25, 12:38 AM
Nope, I don't see anything other than coincidence.

Samurai Jill
2008-10-25, 02:21 AM
Wait a second, Haley's mother's name is Mia? And there have been hints that she's not 100% human?...
Ohhh... so that's what she wasn't telling V. I was wondering.

Ron Miel
2008-10-25, 03:35 AM
Hints that she's not 100% human? where?

I have speculated that

She's descended from Loki

but I've had no actual evidence for it.

SoD
2008-10-25, 03:39 AM
Hints that she's not 100% human? where?

More than hinted! From her own mouth, she's a Half-Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html)!

Samurai Jill
2008-10-25, 04:29 AM
In the diner, with Elan she says- or, well, would have said- "I'm not exactly what you'd call..." She also says "Not even V knows that one!"

Then, there's the fact that Haley's Intellect looks like an Elf. ...Got that from her mother, perhaps?

factotum
2008-10-25, 06:35 AM
In the diner, with Elan she says- or, well, would have said- "I'm not exactly what you'd call..." She also says "Not even V knows that one!"

And how, exactly, is this a hint she's not human? We have absolutely zero idea what she was going to say next--for all we know, it could have been "I'm not exactly what you'd call...heterosexual".

Also, where does it say her mother's name is "Mia"?

Nidhögg
2008-10-25, 06:47 AM
Also, where does it say her mother's name is "Mia"?

Here, in panel eight. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html)

Felixaar
2008-10-25, 06:55 AM
Aside from Haley claiming that she's Half-Dragon early in the comic - which will possible that she was being serious, seems more likely to be a joke/attempt to get Durkon to go away, there's no evidence she's anything but human (not to mention the book profiles list her race as human). The whole date with elan secret thing proves only she has a secret no one else knows (and this secret is NOT the fact that her father is held hostage by Lord Tyrinar of the aptly name Tyrinaria)

Samurai Jill
2008-10-25, 09:13 AM
And how, exactly, is this a hint she's not human? We have absolutely zero idea what she was going to say next--for all we know, it could have been "I'm not exactly what you'd call...heterosexual".
Yes, except that she'd already confessed that secret-
:haley: "I kissed a girl once! -okay, okay, more than once!"
:haley: "Shut up, Haley's Latent Bisexuality!"
Whereas this is a secret that Haley has been keeping from everyone, including V- and thus, I would reckon, something Rich is trying to keep from us. Her mother having non-human blood might also explain her decision to leave her/her family/her city, (and thus the root of Haley's abandonment complex.)

As for Haley's species listing- you need to be at least 50% elf to qualify as a 'half-elf" for purposes of racial perks. Perhaps Mia was only 75% elven herself?

hamishspence
2008-10-25, 09:22 AM
I got the impression that, in faerun, 25% elf could be half-elf. Or even less, in rare cases: shining South- a half-drow with only 1/32 drow blood, physically resembling human much more than drow, nevertheless, described as Half-drow.

GSFB
2008-10-25, 12:03 PM
I believe that because Haley was winking when she said she was a half-dragon that implies she is telling a joke and everyone around her knows it's a joke.

Her secret could be anything. It could be "I am not human." Or it could be "I am not a fan of reality TV." Perhaps "I am not good aligned." Or maybe "I am not a natural red head." Or...

And it is entirely possible that, as Haley and Elan have now had intimate relations, her secret is no longer applicable. As in "I am not a virgin" or something along those lines.

Samurai Jill
2008-10-25, 12:31 PM
Oh, she's definitely a natural redhead- you can see orange growing out at the roots when she has her hair dyed. I kinda doubt absence of virginity or TV preferences would make the headlines, so to speak... whatever she was keeping back, it's something BIG- from her perspective, anyway. I dunno, maybe her alignment was the big secret there, but I could swear I smell the Giant keeping something back from us here.

Kish
2008-10-25, 12:40 PM
I've always been of the opinion that the end of her sentence would have been, "a good person." If she was still keeping secrets, she would still be unable to speak.

bibliophile
2008-10-25, 05:07 PM
Wait a second, Haley's mother's name is Mia? And there have been hints that she's not 100% human? And Pete's first question when she said she was in trouble was to ask if she was pregnant?

And we have an evil villain going after the very fabric of the universe in his mad lust for power (well, maybe his bored, nothing to watch on TV lust for power)?

Am I the only one thinking of The Dark Tower series?

Although Haley as an alternate version of Mordred seems a bit of a stretch, unless she suddenly reveals an ability to turn into a giant spider - or maybe just spider powers (not that I can really see Pete's last name suddenly turning out to be Parker, but it would play into a theme).

And this would make Roy, with the really powerful armaments being handed down in the family tree, Roland. Perhaps Red Cloak should change his name to the Red King?

This is interesting and would explain why she was so suspicious of sabine in the first meeting with the linear guild. But although possible, I find it too unlikly. Stephen Deschain wasn't a wizard (unless he's roy's grandfather). And Xykon would be Flagg, and maybe the snarl is part IT, and.... Damn, I'm almost convincing myself. This seems like one of those theories where you find evidence where ever you look. I doubt it this theory is correct, but there's a slim chance. Who knows?

Upon further thought I am even less sure. Who is susannah, ol' pete? Who is Eddie? I'm thinking more and more that its just a coincidence.

Laurentio II
2008-10-25, 05:24 PM
All the evidence of Haley not being a full human is a phrase that she didn't say, a joke told to cover the fact that she is collecting a big treasure, and the fact that she unconsciously visualize her rationality as an elf?
So, I suppose this girl (http://www.egscomics.com/d/20060628.html) is a vulcanian, isn't she? (last panel)
In a world where elves are considered the apex of rationality, I means...

Sequinox
2008-10-25, 05:29 PM
I would hate it if that was true. I have this terrible fear of spiders, or at least massive ones, and Mordred ruined the dark tower for me. Before that, I had planned to see the DT movies that are being planned. (Possibly rumor, but I found it on a reliable site... wikipedia! If it's on wikipedia, it has to be true!) So, maybe, but I seriously hope not.

Wih
2008-10-25, 05:36 PM
It has been commented by The Giant that Hayley has more in opposition/common with Sabine than we know. This, combined with the "secret", and never seeing her birth mother, leads me to assume that Hayley is not completely human...possibly Aasimar or something similar. But, I guess we'll find out later.

Samurai Jill
2008-10-26, 08:24 AM
If she was still keeping secrets, she would still be unable to speak.
Actually, there's no indication that she's really confessed most of what she told Elan- since it was all just gibberish at the time.

All the evidence for Haley not being a full human is a phrase that she didn't say, a joke told to cover the fact that she's collecting a lot of treasure, and the fact that she unconsciously visualizes her rationality as an elf?
At least it beats the gender debates...

Kish
2008-10-26, 09:47 AM
Actually, there's no indication that she's really confessed most of what she told Elan- since it was all just gibberish at the time.
She was unable to speak because she was pathologically keeping secrets, remember?

Samurai Jill
2008-10-26, 02:00 PM
Yeah, but I sincerely doubt she spilled the beans on every front, or there'd have been some more in-panel discussion of things like, say, her father being held captive by Lord Tyrinar. (Who, by the way, is, like, totally Elan's father. Obviously.)

dps
2008-10-26, 04:29 PM
I've always been of the opinion that the end of her sentence would have been, "a good person." If she was still keeping secrets, she would still be unable to speak.

That's basically been my guess. I think that Haley was, at the start of the comic, chaotic neutral (though I think her alignment changed to chaotic good later on).

Another possibility is that she was going to say, "I'm not exactly what you would call single"--maybe she's married.