PDA

View Full Version : Let's all get drunk.

Vandin
2008-10-25, 02:03 AM
So, er. My players, as they are so fond of doing, went off and did something unexpected, and I'm at a loss to visualize the results.

Lessee. Long story short, they managed to transport a rift to the Plane of Ale from it's old location on the Material Plane, to the Astral Plane.

In other words, there's now a fairly infinite amount of ale flowing into the Astral Plane. Session just ended, so I haven't fished out the DMG for more detail yet, but Wikipedia thoughtfully provides: The Astral Plane is the plane of thought, memory, and psychic energy.

So, they've had the strange side effect of saving the world from drowning in ale by directly piping it into their brains? My only line of thought to this is "drunken hilarity ensues".

LCR
2008-10-25, 02:12 AM
As long as the plane doesn't drink the ale, it'll just smell really bad.

newbDM
2008-10-25, 02:26 AM
Wait, what book is the Plane of Ale in?!

As long as the plane doesn't drink the ale, it'll just smell really bad.

Remember, nothing ages or goes bad in the Astral Plane.

NephandiMan
2008-10-25, 02:39 AM
In Soviet plane of existence, vodka ale drinks YOU!

starwoof
2008-10-25, 02:43 AM
I want to say races of stone (the dwarf book) but I would be lying.

The Astral Plane is the plane of thought, memory, and psychic energy.

So, they've had the strange side effect of saving the world from drowning in ale by directly piping it into their brains?
No. The astral plane is just a vast expanse where you can only move by imagining yourself moving. So you could say there's an expanding cloud of ale filling the travel plane (thats basically what the astral is).:smallsmile:

jcsw
2008-10-25, 04:24 AM
Ooh yes! Rule that any teleportation effect makes you suffer the effects of drinking a pint of Ale!

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-25, 05:26 AM
The Astral has no connection to any individual person and is (I think) infinite itself. (Go figure whether they're potential or actual infinities, and which one is bigger.) There's no real effect, just an "astral anomaly".

Oslecamo
2008-10-25, 05:29 AM
You just nerfed astral projection and all astral related spells.

Well, it's your fault for creating something as the plane of ale.

Cheesegear
2008-10-25, 05:39 AM
I will give you ten-thousand million bonus points if the God who presides over the Plane of Ale is named 'Ronson'.

Doomsy
2008-10-25, 09:09 AM
Drunken Astral Dreadnought for the win, Alex.

Flickerdart
2008-10-25, 10:03 AM
Now all your Githiyanki and Githzerai are permanently drunk, and you can summon Alementals.

Heskan da snipa
2008-10-25, 10:07 AM
if its being pumped directly into their brains wouldnt they be drunk for...eternity. im not gonna lie, being eternally drunk would be both dangerous and extremely fun at the same time...until you start eternally vomiting that is.

quillbreaker
2008-10-25, 10:10 AM
The Astral has no connection to any individual person and is (I think) infinite itself. (Go figure whether they're potential or actual infinities, and which one is bigger.) There's no real effect, just an "astral anomaly".

You are dull. In any game where a plane of ale exists, altering the universal configuration of the plane of ale should have some kind of amusing effect.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-25, 10:12 AM
if its being pumped directly into their brains wouldnt they be drunk for...eternity. im not gonna lie, being eternally drunk would be both dangerous and extremely fun at the same time...until you start eternally vomiting that is.It's an infinite plane of thought and an infinite plane of booze. If the average level of ale in the plane is just right, the entire world will be tipsy but not wasted. If, of course, it worked that way, which it unfortunately doesn't.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-25, 10:14 AM
to the original post - different people are different drunks. Some people are rude/aggressive (massive CHA penalty), where some are fun (minor CHA bonus/penalty depending on who they are talking to)

but no drunk is a co-ordinated drunk

MASSIVE DEX PENALTIES ALL ROUND :D

hold a tight-rope walking contest

you can summon Alementals.

*hits with a rolled up newspaper*

NO! bad flickdart!

sit in the corner and think about what you did

baaaaaaaaaaad flickdart! baaaaaaaaad

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-25, 11:48 AM

Actually, the Astral Plane is infinitesimal. Let logic work that out! :smallcool:

Teron
2008-10-25, 12:53 PM
Now all your Githiyanki and Githzerai are permanently drunk, and you can summon Alementals.
Pedantic note: Githzerai live in Limbo, not the Astral plane.

wadledo
2008-10-25, 12:54 PM
So, drunken monks will actually be half decent?:smallconfused:

Lord Herman
2008-10-25, 12:54 PM
Oh gods... drunken Githyanki frat boys.

Flickerdart
2008-10-25, 01:08 PM
Pedantic note: Githzerai live in Limbo, not the Astral plane.
They dropped by for a visit.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-25, 04:17 PM

Portable Hole Full Of Beer, presumably.

(and yes, that is an existent D&D book)

BobVosh
2008-10-25, 07:06 PM

Dear god, he doesn't lie.

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=4900

and it has a wife.

http://www.lulu.com/content/725484

Bride of Portable Hole: The Book of Neurotic Fantasy

WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??!?!!

FMArthur
2008-10-25, 07:45 PM
Contact Other Plane = failed spell, drunken wizard, Int/Cha of 8 until sobriety.

Actually, I've spontaneously decided to just put this into one of my games: somebody tries to do something involving the astral plane, and it screws up due to it being filled with beer thanks to some insane dwarven wizard.

NephandiMan
2008-10-25, 08:13 PM
Dear god, he doesn't lie.

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=4900

and it has a wife.

http://www.lulu.com/content/725484

Bride of Portable Hole: The Book of Neurotic Fantasy

WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??!?!!

Gloucester from King Lear said it best: "As flies to wanton boys are we to the developers; / They give us mediocre content for their sport."

AlexanderRM
2008-10-25, 08:44 PM
In Soviet plane of existence, vodka ale drinks YOU!
That should be a quasi-official plane.
I must save this somewhere.

Seriously?
Do you mean made by WotC or just unofficial but in print?

Yeah, but it's so much more FUN if everyone the very nature of thought, memory, and psychic energy is now permanently drunk.

Roderick_BR
2008-10-25, 09:20 PM

Remember, nothing ages or goes bad in the Astral Plane.
A bad place to store wine, then.

Devils_Advocate
2008-10-25, 09:45 PM
I dunno about books, but Sigil Prep (http://www.sigilprep.com/), which by design includes every plane of existence that's been printed and every one that hasn't, has:

Elemental Planes: Earth, Fire, Water, Air
Paraelemental Planes: Smoke, Ooze, Magma
Quasielemental Planes: Mineral, Lightning, Dust, Vacuum, etc.*
Kindaelemental Planes: Candy, Dairy, Booze, etc.

along with references to mountainclimbing in the Quasiparahemidemisemielemental Plane of Ice, and so on.

* If there's a Plane of Dust, there had better be a Plane of Vacuum. Haha, right? ... Gosh, tough crowd.

Lord Tataraus
2008-10-25, 10:12 PM
Dumping alcohol into the psyche wouldn't do anything, drunkenness is a purely biological effect. You just have a bunch of liguid in the way so traveling through the astral plane no makes you get soaked in ale, but that's it (unless you open wide in the process...)

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-10-25, 10:26 PM
Here's how it works: Your group floods this astral plane with ale. Congrats, you now have a sweet twist for a Silent Hill campaign :smallbiggrin:

Asbestos
2008-10-25, 10:33 PM
Seriously?
Do you mean made by WotC or just unofficial but in print?

Unofficial, but it was released for free. I can't find a link for you though :smallfrown: Anyway, it has prestige classes like the "Beat Poet" and "Drug Fiend" and monsters such as the "Marshmallow Golem" and "12 Year Old Gamer Girl". And informs us of how much beer you could fit into a portable hole (over 270,000 US fluid ounces!!)

Also, doesn't the ectoplasm that psions make things out of come from the Astral Plane? Does this mean that astral constructs are now composed of Beer?

monty
2008-10-25, 10:38 PM
Also, doesn't the ectoplasm that psions make things out of come from the Astral Plane? Does this mean that astral constructs are now composed of Beer?

If it hits you, are you beer-battered?

Coidzor
2008-10-26, 04:30 AM
Since it's infinite though, wouldn't there always be some component of the astral plane that was not tainted by the infinite flood of ale? So it'd be sort of like those islands that occur in positive/negative energy aligned planes. Go there and you don't drown in booze, else drown in booze...

newbDM
2008-10-26, 06:56 AM

Dude, thank you!

However, now I have a serious question (at least for my game/group). What kind of ale are we talking? In our group the dwarf fan regularly debates with the elf fan over Dwarfhead Stout vs. Elven Meed. It would be an important issue in my campaign...

jcsw
2008-10-26, 10:00 AM
Since it's infinite though, wouldn't there always be some component of the astral plane that was not tainted by the infinite flood of ale? So it'd be sort of like those islands that occur in positive/negative energy aligned planes. Go there and you don't drown in booze, else drown in booze...

Bu-bu- ∞ minus ∞ is not finity!

Flickerdart
2008-10-26, 10:04 AM
There's also a Material or something effect to some manifestations, which usually coats the area in evaporating ectoplasm. Except now, it summons ale.

TigerHunter
2008-10-26, 10:11 AM
The Astral Plane is infinite and has no ground. So the random rift will create a waterfall of Ale that will simply keep falling and never 'flood' anything.

Lord Herman
2008-10-26, 10:18 AM
Indeed. The source of ale may be infinite, but the rate at which the ale enters the astral plane isn't.

jcsw
2008-10-26, 10:29 AM
If the Plane of Ale had any gravity at all the pressure over the rift would be infinite because it's based on height of liquid above it, which is infinite...

The force acting on the Ale by that of the infinite height of Ale above it would exert an infinite force on the Ale, resulting in infinite acceleration. In an infinitesimal amount of time, an infinite amount of ale would shoot out of the rift at infinite speed.

Therefore, the rate of flow of Ale into the astral plane is infinite.

Yes, this is what happens if you throw the word infinity around... :\

Toliudar
2008-10-26, 10:37 AM
So, some potentially-funny effects to work into the game:

Everyone using a teleport effect arrives soused and soaked in ale.
Astral constructs arrive extra belligerent, but with a pleasant foamy head.
Bar owner arranges to throw a bag of holding into a portable hole, just to access free product.
Astral devas develop beer bellies.
Nightmares still show up to deliver bad dreams, but are so soused when they get there that they just throw a hoof around you and slur "You know what? You're the best. I love you."
The aforementioned gith fratboys.

Drascin
2008-10-26, 10:47 AM
If the Plane of Ale had any gravity at all the pressure over the rift would be infinite because it's based on height of liquid above it, which is infinite...

The force acting on the Ale by that of the infinite height of Ale above it would exert an infinite force on the Ale, resulting in infinite acceleration. In an infinitesimal amount of time, an infinite amount of ale would shoot out of the rift at infinite speed.

Therefore, the rate of flow of Ale into the astral plane is infinite.

Yes, this is what happens if you throw the word infinity around... :\

So, basically, infite acceleration for the flow as well. Which means, mostly, that now there's a big cilinder (as it will not "fall" or spill due to the infinte force on every drop) of infinite-pressure ale across the whole infinite Astral plane. Stepping into it most likely means you're torn to pieces, I'd say :smalltongue:.

Within a month, the Githyanki develop a low-level spell based on featherfall that allows one to safely extract some of this infinite mine of ale. Soon afterwards, the githyanki empire falls, since every gish in the army is way too smashed to fight when the githzerai do their next raid, and since monkiness is a 'zerai trait, no-one picked up Drunken Master.

celestialkin
2008-10-26, 12:28 PM
So, basically, infite acceleration for the flow as well. Which means, mostly, that now there's a big cilinder (as it will not "fall" or spill due to the infinte force on every drop) of infinite-pressure ale across the whole infinite Astral plane. Stepping into it most likely means you're torn to pieces, I'd say :smalltongue:.

Within a month, the Githyanki develop a low-level spell based on featherfall that allows one to safely extract some of this infinite mine of ale. Soon afterwards, the githyanki empire falls, since every gish in the army is way too smashed to fight when the githzerai do their next raid, and since monkiness is a 'zerai trait, no-one picked up Drunken Master.

You have no idea how badly I now want to put this infinite cylinder stream of ale passing right by (within a few hundred feet) of the island inside one of players' PC's chest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94358).

Think about it. It would be the ultimate torment for the dwarf PC! An infinite, never ending stream of beautiful, clean, still fresh, and ice cold ale passing by you, but whenever he tried to hold up a mug into it it's sheer force/power/whatever(me dumbs) instantly disintegrate the glass. What fate could possibly be worse for a dwarf?

Deth Muncher
2008-10-26, 12:33 PM
You have no idea how badly I now want to put this infinite cylinder stream of ale passing right by (within a few hundred feet) of the island inside one of players' PC's chest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94358).

Think about it. It would be the ultimate torment for the dwarf PC! An infinite, never ending stream of beautiful, clean, still fresh, and ice cold ale passing by you, but whenever he tried to hold up a mug into it it's sheer force/power/whatever(me dumbs) instantly disintegrate the glass. What fate could possibly be worse for a dwarf?

The dwarf would probably try to jump into the Infinite Ale Stream, and would subsequently be obliterated by force.

Perhaps there should be a compulsion effect for dwarves? DC Moderate or be drawn to the ale, with subsequent checks increasing in difficulty?

celestialkin
2008-10-26, 12:39 PM
The dwarf would probably try to jump into the Infinite Ale Stream, and would subsequently be obliterated by force.

Perhaps there should be a compulsion effect for dwarves? DC Moderate or be drawn to the ale, with subsequent checks increasing in difficulty?

Oh dude, dude, dude, I got tears laughing at that.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

For some reason, I now keep imagining the scene from Futurama in my head where Scruffy says "Scruffy will die the way he lived.".

p.s. Now I am afraid I might be tempted to do this...

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-26, 02:45 PM
...but the Astral Plane is infinitesimal... how does that work?

Vandin
2008-10-26, 04:57 PM
However, now I have a serious question (at least for my game/group). What kind of ale are we talking? In our group the dwarf fan regularly debates with the elf fan over Dwarfhead Stout vs. Elven Meed. It would be an important issue in my campaign...

It's actually Ale of Annihilation, a concept I picked up...somewhere. These forums, maybe? In addition to being the most magically active substance in the 'verse, it's also offensively volatile. More or less, it's the Ale that every other Ale desperately wants to be :smallwink:

Lord Herman
2008-10-26, 05:00 PM
The Beer of Annihilation, you mean. It was one of the incentive comics the Giant drew to get us to vote for OOTS in one of those comic rankings.

Vandin
2008-10-26, 05:16 PM
Ahh, beer. Well, it ended up as Ale. :smallbiggrin:

newbDM
2008-10-26, 05:17 PM
I finally found a copy of the Portable Hole Full of Beer book online. Kinda rare.

Anyone else interested in this might like the book's two free sequels on RPGNow.com:
Bride of Portable Hole (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2544&it=1)
Son of Portable Hole (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=28496&it=1)

Both (http://www.rpgnow.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=portable+hole&x=0&y=0&quicksearch=1&search_filter=&filters=&search_free=&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1)

newbDM
2008-10-26, 05:22 PM
It's actually Ale of Annihilation, a concept I picked up...somewhere. These forums, maybe? In addition to being the most magically active substance in the 'verse, it's also offensively volatile. More or less, it's the Ale that every other Ale desperately wants to be :smallwink:

LoL.

When you thought you couldn't torment a dwarf any worse, you are pleasantly surprised. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the info!

The Beer of Annihilation, you mean. It was one of the incentive comics the Giant drew to get us to vote for OOTS in one of those comic rankings.

Can you still find that issue/comic somewhere? Did it get it's own number in the sequence or something?

Lord Herman
2008-10-26, 05:25 PM
Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/Incentives.html)

The Beer of Annihiliation is about 1/3 down the page.

newbDM
2008-10-26, 06:00 PM
Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/Incentives.html)

The Beer of Annihiliation is about 1/3 down the page.

Thank you. Much appreciated.