PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Sometimes you feel like a nut!

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-10-25, 12:36 PM
Peanut Butter Golem

http://th43.deviantart.com/fs13/300W/f/2007/036/0/5/Peanut_Butter_Texture_by_somadjinn.jpg

Large Construct
Hit Dice: 7d10+30 HD (68 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 dex, +8 natural, -1 size), touch 8, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Slam +9 melee (2d6+7) or greatclub +9 melee (1d12+9)
Full Attack: 2 slams +9 melee (2d6+5) or greatclub +9 melee (1d12+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Nutty
Special Qualities: Brand, construct traits, damage reduction 5/adamantine and bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, jam, low-light vision, roof of your mouth, split, spread
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 8, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: *Jump +15
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 8-14 HD (Large), 15-21 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

This appears as a great lump of creamy, light brown material oozing across the ground. It's upper body is vaguely humanoid, with two arm-like protrusions and a dome for a head. Sharp pieces of peanuts protrude from it's body and forms a crown atop its dome.

Peanut butter golems are one of the many creations of the Confectimancer, whose genius with edibly alchemy and tasty spells produced much of the world's edible monstrosities. Very few were created as he found he was allergic and if not for a nearby cleric would have succumbed to the anaphylactic shock.

Combat
Peanut butter golems tend to attack as boldly as any golem and with as little thought, charging forward and slamming them with its gooey limbs.

Brand (Ex): Depending on the type of peanut butter used, a peanut butter golem gains one of the following upon creation. All spell-like affects are cast at a level equal to the Golem's HD.

Jif: The golem gains a +10 bonus to its land speed and may use Haste once per day.

Peter Pan: The golem is continuously affected as by featherfall and may fly for a number of rounds per day equal to their HD at a speed of 60 feet with average maneuverability. These rounds may be used all at once or interspersed across the day.

Plumpy'nut: Once per day the golem may increase in size by one size category as the Enlarge Person spell.

Reeses: There's no one way to attack a Reeses peanut butter golem. It gains immunity to either one damage type or one material type, chosen by the last attack to damage it before it's turn.

Skippy: The golem moves erratically so that in any round it moves more than five feet all attacks against it are assessed a 20% miss-chance. This is not the same as concealment. *It gains a +10 bonus to jump checks.

Jam (Ex): A peanut butter golem takes only half damage from crushing and trample attacks.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A peanut butter golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A create food and water spell heals a peanut butter golem 3d6 points.

A heroes feast spell brings a peanut butter golem to full hit points.

A magical attack that deals cold damage slows a peanut butter golem (as the slow spell) and keeps it from using its spread ability for 2d6 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a peanut butter golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. A peanut butter golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.

Nutty (Ex): When a peanut butter golem enters combat, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its elemental spirit breaks free and the golem goes nuts. The uncontrolled golem goes on a rampage, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. Once a peanut butter golem goes nuts, no known method can reestablish control.

While a peanut butter golem rampages it gains a +5 bonus to its natural armor as all its chunky bits comes to form a shell around it. It cannot use it's spread ability while going nuts.

Roof of Your Mouth (Ex): Each time a being makes a bite attack against a peanut butter golem they must succeed on a DC reflex save or have their mouth gummed up. While in this state they cannot use their bite attack nor cast spells with a verbal component. Cleaning one's mouth takes a full round action. The gumming naturally clears away in 3d4 rounds.

Split (Ex): Slashing and piercing weapons deal no damage to a peanut butter golem. Instead the creature splits into two identical golems, each with half of the original’s current hit points (round down). A golem with 10 hit points or less cannot be further split and dies if reduced to 0 hit points.

Spread (Ex): A peanut butter golem may thin itself as a standard action, thus allowing it to move through a space as small as 1 inch wide.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Creating A Peanut Butter Golem

A peanut butter golem’s body is crafted from many barrels worth of peanut butter. The ingredients must be of exceptional quality, costing 800 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 15 Profession (gourmet chef) check or a DC 15 Craft(confectionery) check.

CL 9th; Craft Construct, geas/quest, heroes feast, * caster must be at least 9th level; Price 20,000 gp; Cost 10,500 gp + 400 XP.

afroakuma
2008-10-25, 12:37 PM
Is this some sort of revenge against all of the evil squirrels in D&D?

wadledo
2008-10-25, 12:40 PM
Deliciously destructive.:smallbiggrin:

Adumbration
2008-10-25, 01:04 PM
One day I'd like to see Confectiomancer's lair as an adventure place or something. The players wouldn't know what hit 'em. :smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2008-10-25, 01:07 PM
Peanut Butter Golem

Will you marry me, VT?

RTGoodman
2008-10-25, 01:11 PM
Well, someone has to make a jelly ooze now. :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-10-25, 01:27 PM
One day I'd like to see Confectiomancer's lair as an adventure place or something. The players wouldn't know what hit 'em. :smallbiggrin:
I may just have to get on that...

Will you marry me, VT?
Alas, I'm straight, taken, and you're not wealthy enough, but I'm sure someday you'll find a monster maker you can settle down with.

However, if you can find all the hidden jokes in this I'll give you a manly hand shake.

Well, someone has to make a jelly ooze now.
There is the ochre jelly. We just need a Bran Elemental to give them a big hug and we're set!

Lappy9000
2008-10-25, 01:39 PM
Alas, I'm straight, taken....

Like I'm not? Alas, I am indeed not wealthy enough. I thank you for your condolences.

Not only is the fact that you actually made this brilliant, the peanut butter golem's powers and abilities would make for a very unique and memorable encounter.

One question, why is there an asterik* next to the golem's Jump skill?

Copacetic
2008-10-25, 01:48 PM
One tiny nit-pick. The Split Ability has odd wording. Is it any damage to the golem, or just damage that would kill it? Because with the current wording everytime you shot it with an arrow, it would split, which doesn't make sense. To me, any rate.

Also, this is awesome.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-10-25, 01:51 PM
Like I'm not?
No, no tears, it's for the best, just take consolation in... oh. Well. Never mind then.

One question, why is there an asterik* next to the golem's Jump skill?
Skippy: The golem moves erratically so that in any round it moves more than five feet all attacks against it are assessed a 20% miss-chance. This is not the same as concealment. *It gains a +10 bonus to jump checks.

One tiny nit-pick. The Split Ability has odd wording. Is it any damage to the golem, or just damage that would kill it? Because with the current wording everytime you shot it with an arrow, it would split, which doesn't make sense. To me, any rate.
That wording is straight from the Monster Manual oozes with the ability of the same name. Apparently any slashing will do it, arrow or not.

Icewalker
2008-10-26, 04:15 PM
That's really the phrasing of that ability, word for word? It's rather vague. Do the two new golems have a MAXIMUM hp equal to the current golem, or current, with the old maximum? Or half of the old golem's current hp, with half the old's maximum the new maximum?

Also, because it's large size, the greatclub would deal more damage than 1d12, wouldn't it?

By the way, this is awesome! Some of the abilities are really hilarious...

There's no one way to attack a Reeses peanut butter golem.
Not only hilarious, but also quite an interesting ability.

Great job once again, VT. But are you secretly planning a confectimancer class? The confectimancer's dungeon would certainly be awesome...

Copacetic
2008-10-26, 05:33 PM
That's really the phrasing of that ability, word for word? It's rather vague. Do the two new golems have a MAXIMUM hp equal to the current golem, or current, with the old maximum? Or half of the old golem's current hp, with half the old's maximum the new maximum?

Also, because it's large size, the greatclub would deal more damage than 1d12, wouldn't it?

By the way, this is awesome! Some of the abilities are really hilarious...

Not only hilarious, but also quite an interesting ability.

Great job once again, VT. But are you secretly planning a confectimancer class? The confectimancer's dungeon would certainly be awesome...

Dibs. :smallbiggrin:

And yes, a pastry/sweet themed dungeon would rock.

Beholder1995
2008-10-26, 06:08 PM
This is genius. Absolute genius. :smallbiggrin:

There are... more of these edible monsters?

Copacetic
2008-10-26, 08:35 PM
Rich did a Gingerbread golum, check the "Gaming" section of Giantitp(No, not the forum, on the right hand side of the screen) And someone else statted up a birthday golem for their birthday.

Jack_Simth
2008-10-26, 08:59 PM
A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a peanut butter golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. A peanut butter golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.

Split (Ex): Slashing and piercing weapons deal no damage to a peanut butter golem. Instead the creature splits into two identical golems, each with half of the original’s current hit points (round down). A golem with 10 hit points or less cannot be further split and dies if reduced to 0 hit points.

This makes for a really broken combination, and easy manufacture. See, as written, Split leaves the maximum HP alone. Which means, out of battle, you can cut one to split it, then use the Fiery Burst reserve feat to heal both to full. Again, and again, and again (also applies to a lesser extent to the other healing methods).

Might I suggest getting rid of one of: the Split ability, the healing options under the Magic Immunity, or the Crafting instructions?

Didgin
2008-10-27, 01:34 AM
Really liked the concept. The Roof of Your Mouth ability made me giggle. I didn't really get the about the brands, probably because they aren't imported to my counrty.

This makes for a really broken combination, and easy manufacture. See, as written, Split leaves the maximum HP alone. Which means, out of battle, you can cut one to split it, then use the Fiery Burst reserve feat to heal both to full. Again, and again, and again (also applies to a lesser extent to the other healing methods).

Might I suggest getting rid of one of: the Split ability, the healing options under the Magic Immunity, or the Crafting instructions?

In my opinion, the easiest way to solve this it to add that Split halves the maximum hp too.
Also, does the Jam ability meas the golem also takes less damage from blugeoning attacks? (such as maces & clubs). If so, you should consider increasing the challenge rating a bit, because it leaves almost no effective attck form against it.

Icewalker
2008-10-27, 01:41 AM
No, crushing and trample are different from bludgeoning damage.