PDA

View Full Version : New damage system, more realistic

nony2000
2008-10-25, 02:20 PM
As a DM I like to keep the game from levels 1-5, after that the game becomes too much of an action movie.
The problem with doing so is having prestige classes not an option, and having stuff like Assassin and Blackguard not an option really messes up some game play.
So I decided to try and change the system by removing life gaining by levels (you start and keep your HP) and damage bonuses. I want the game to keep realism after level 1, and the only way to do it is to stop too much HP.
I don’t want the feel of level 10=indestructible to peasants.
So basically I wont help in making a system to exchange damage with attack and life bonus with AC bonus. So percentage health lost will stay as levels go up (fights are dangerous like at level 1).
Iv started out by thinking stuff like “fireball” that deals 1d6 per level dealing like a rogue’s life per level (a bit less because level 1 starts with max). So it needs to deal as much damage as a rogue’s life without CON bonus. That would make that about 1d10 damage.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-25, 02:22 PM
Looked at the VP/WP system? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm)

Tengu_temp
2008-10-25, 02:27 PM
If you want a more realistic, simulationist game, play GURPS, not DND.

snoopy13a
2008-10-25, 02:59 PM
The injury system seems interesting as well:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/injury.htm

Ent
2008-10-25, 03:18 PM
Looked at the VP/WP system? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm)

I was aware of this variant but not this part:

"Most weapons retain their normal critical threat range. If a weapon normally has a critical multiplier greater than ×2, the weapon’s threat range expands by 1 point per additional multiplier, as indicated on the table below. "

Why do higher crit weapons have higher threat?

snoopy13a
2008-10-25, 03:23 PM

"Most weapons retain their normal critical threat range. If a weapon normally has a critical multiplier greater than ×2, the weapon’s threat range expands by 1 point per additional multiplier, as indicated on the table below. "

Critical hits don't do extra damage which negates the advantage of the higher multiplier ones. So, they increased the threat range as a substitute.

only1doug
2008-10-25, 03:23 PM

they no longer multiply on a crit, so the range is expanded for equality reasons.

under the VP / WP system weapon Crits deal their normal damage to Wounds instead of to Vitality.

Edit: Ack, ninja'd by a cartoon dog

monty
2008-10-25, 03:36 PM
Realistic damage system? In my D&D?

The Glyphstone
2008-10-25, 03:39 PM
Isn't the E6 variant, like, perfect for you?