PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Feats for a Hobgoblin?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-10-25, 03:31 PM
I am currently playing a hobgoblin and I have yet to find any race specific feats for them. I know that there have been feats released for the other MM playable races. Have there been any released for hobgoblins? If not, can anyone suggest reasonable racial feats for them to take?

RTGoodman
2008-10-25, 03:35 PM
Unless there's been an article on Goblinoids released in the last week or so, I don't think there are any racial feats for hobgoblins. The only "monstrous races" that have gotten them so far were, IIRC, Warforged and Gnolls, but I assume goblinoids will follow soon considering their popularity and their importance to at least one campaign setting.

As far as giving them appropriate other racial feats, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'll look back and check and get back to you.

EDIT: As far as homebrewing them, though, you could definitely do something like this for a Heroic-level feat:

Improved Resiliency [Hobgoblin]
Prerequisites: Hobgoblin, hobgoblin resilience racial power
Benefit: When you use your hobgoblin resilience power to
roll a saving throw, you gain a +2 power bonus on the save.

Since humans get a +2 bonus on ALL saving throws, I think a +3 on one per encounter is probably fine.

fractic
2008-10-25, 03:44 PM
Since humans get a +2 bonus on ALL saving throws, I think a +3 on one per encounter is probably fine.

Humans only get a +1 bonus with the feat. I like the idea of the feat, but the main benefit of the hobgoblin racial power is that you get an extra saving throw when you really need one. I'd say that +2 would be better balanced.

RTGoodman
2008-10-25, 03:49 PM
Humans only get a +1 bonus with the feat. I like the idea of the feat, but the main benefit of the hobgoblin racial power is that you get an extra saving throw when you really need one. I'd say that +2 would be better balanced.

Ah, yeah, it IS a +1 bonus - I guess I should eventually get around to PLAYING a Human in 4E at some point...

InaVegt
2008-10-25, 03:50 PM
The only "monstrous races" that have gotten them so far were, IIRC, Warforged and Gnolls,

Drow have gotten a more detailed write-up in the FRPG.

NPCMook
2008-10-25, 04:32 PM
Drow have gotten a more detailed write-up in the FRPG.

The Genasi, Dragonborn and Drow have also been expanded upon in Dragon.

Also it is possible that the Goblinoids will receive a larger write-up in PHB II.

InaVegt
2008-10-25, 04:41 PM
The Genasi, Dragonborn and Drow have also been expanded upon in Dragon.

Also it is possible that the Goblinoids will receive a larger write-up in PHB II.

Yes, but we were talking about "monstrous races", referring to races from the MM

Hal
2008-10-25, 05:05 PM
What about orcs? I've picked up an orc side-kick in my current adventure, and I'm going to be writing him up as a barbarian pretty soon.

RTGoodman
2008-10-25, 06:47 PM
Taking a look at the PHB, there are a few racial feats that you could just change the name and/or re-fluff to make work for hobgoblins - Action Surge, for example. Call it Hobgoblin Combat Vigor or something, and +3 to attacks when you spend an action point makes sense. For Orcs, you could do the same for Dragonborn Fury (or whatever it's called - the +2 or so damage while you're bloodied).

Another option is to look at published hobgoblins and see if you can figure out a way to turn their abilities into racial feats or improve their normal PC abilities.

Phalanx Training [Hobgoblin]
Prerequisite: Hobgoblin, Heroic tier
Benefit: While adjacent to an ally, you gain a +1 feat
bonus to AC.

Improved Warrior's Surge [Orc]
Prerequisite: Orc, warrior's surge racial power,
Paragon tier
Benefit: When you use you're warrior's surge racial
power, you gain a +2 bonus on the damage roll and heal
yourself an additional 1d6 hp.
Special: At 21st level, the bonus to damage increases to
+4 and the extra healing improves to 2d6 hp.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-10-26, 02:55 AM
rtg, I do like those ideas. I'll float them by my DM. I am still open to more options, even feats from other races that would make sense for my hobgoblin to be able to take (refluffed, of course).