PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in the Realms

Ent
2008-10-25, 05:06 PM
Just wondering, if anyone else is a DM running this for anyone...

where do you think good breaks for leveling up are? I'm wondering if the players will need to reach 2nd and 3rd to finish all three parts.

Also, the reward bundles are a little strange to me. Is this how the living RPGA campaigns have always been? Are they intended to just be given out and not really explained in the story?

Keld Denar
2008-10-25, 06:32 PM
Also, the reward bundles are a little strange to me. Is this how the living RPGA campaigns have always been? Are they intended to just be given out and not really explained in the story?

First of all, I have no idea what "Weekend in the Realms" is. You got a link?

Loot in RPGA campaigns is handed out as such:

All loot is liquidated. At the end of the module, gp value of everything found is added up, divided by 6, and noted. This value is compared to the "cap" of the module, for the given APL (Average Party Level). If the value found is more than the cap, each player receives the amount of the cap, and all extra gold is lost. If the amount is less than the cap (seldom, usually only happens if players fail to complete a mod because of retreat, TPK, time limit, poor decisions), then the players receive that amount. Experience is also added up, and similarly compared to the cap. Players playing outside of their APL (more than 3 levels from the APL in either direction) receive 1/2 gold. This prevents players from playing up or down too far, as this tends to change the experience for the other players at the table, but still allows for people to play together at times.

Once everyone has their cash, they can then buy items. Players can only buy open items (general things like +stat items, Rings of Protection, etc) and items that they have found or are made available to them by groups in a module. Access to items is listed at the bottom of the Adventure Record(AR). Players can buy any of the items listed up to the APL they played at, for up to 3 ARs after the one they found access to it. This represent the fact that the item has gotten circulated too far that you can't get ahold of it, or your contact has left the area. Some access is more open, with Regional access allowing the character to access the item after playing in a given region (due to contact with organizations, benefactors, other grateful folks), and some are access ANY, which means that its ALWAYS available for purchase, provided the character has enough gold.

Sure, it breaks most peoples concept of D&D (if I found it, why can't I keep it?) but it goes a long way to keeping play relatively balanced, keeping character roughly within WBL guidelines in a campaign that doesn't have a single GM who can arbitrate that stuff easily by giving or taking loot at will.

That's how the RPGA (specifically Living Greyhawk) handled loot. Is that kind of what you were seeing? More input would help. Thanks.

Mando Knight
2008-10-26, 06:10 PM
That's how the RPGA (specifically Living Greyhawk) handled loot. Is that kind of what you were seeing? More input would help. Thanks.

It's completely different in Living Realms. Each module has a preset reward set to be given to the adventurers at the end of the module: a set amount of XP, any applicable story benefits (like getting on the City Watch's good side), and the choice of one of several "Rewards Packages," which are detailed in the module (multiple players can choose the same package). The low-level ones give 75 gp and either a magic item or 50 extra gp. You can only have one "found" magic item (magic items from the reward packages) per character level, but you can have as many magic items as you can afford.

Normally, you can only buy items from the PHB, and most magic items in the modules (except for the ones in the Weekend in the Realms modules) are from the PHB as well. You also get limited access to items from other sources like the Adventurer's Vault, up to a certain number (I think it's five) per tier.

In Living Realms, all treasure and XP is awarded at the adventure's end. If you're running the 3-part Weekend in the Realms adventure, then the XP and treasure for each part is awarded at the end of that part. Leveling up can be done between each of the three parts of the adventure after the XP is awarded, if the adventurers have enough XP to level up.