2008-10-25, 10:15 PM
Amaurea Quiver
Price: 2250 gp
Body Slot: --
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) conjuration
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: 1 lb.

A sun inscribed with gold adorns the surface of this spacious darkwood quiver.

An amaurea quiver can be called upon to create a number of arrows of varying amounts and substance. An amaurea quiver has 5 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. By speaking a command word and expending charges, nonmagical arrows will appear inside the quiver.
1 charge, "Hallanga": 20 darkwood arrows.
2 charges, "Tyelpear": 20 darkwood silver arrows.
3 charges, "Voronwa": 20 darkwood adamantine arrows.
Created arrows remain in the quiver until the following dawn, after which point they disappear. Created arrows that are removed from the quiver vanish after one minute. An amaurea quiver can store a maximum of 60 arrows.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, major creation, creator must be an elf.
Cost to Create: 1125 gp, 90 XP, 1 day.

Icewalker
2008-10-26, 08:07 PM
Well I don't know about the prices, but as to the command words, I believe that generally items don't come with a specific command word, and it merely states that there is one, usually unique to the item.

Chrono22
2008-10-26, 10:06 PM
I don't know. In the campaigns I've run/participated, either the DM or the players have designated a specific command word for magic items, so I didn't see it having specific ones being a problem. Is there some reason it shouldn't?

Fan
2008-10-26, 10:15 PM
No need to fear.
guy who owns the Magic Item compendium is here!
Oka due to this having a set amunt of charges I doubt it should be 9th level to do bwecause well.. It doesn't even make magic arrows just darkwood/X.
And with the command word activation thats up to a 30% reduction in cost.
9th level, and proly a "Fabrication" (5th level spell.) as the base spell needed for creation with permaency tacked on (thus a XP cost of about les see... 5th level spell= 9X5X100=4500/2= 2250Gp= cost to create, and then you add xp which would be 1/25 which according to my calcs 2250/4=562.2 rounded down is 562 Xp , 2250 GP to create. 4500 GP to buy.)

DracoDei
2008-10-26, 10:48 PM
Fabricate would be if you had to put the raw materials in it... this is technically Major Creation because of the feathers and metal arrow-heads... but it is so specific that it isn't a problem... compare and contrast "Spoil of Endless Rope" maybe? (although I am not sure if that is really endless)... I would say something about them disappearing less than a minute after they are removed from the quiver to keep people from selling them...

Fan
2008-10-26, 10:53 PM
:smalltongue:
Fabricate would be if you had to put the raw materials in it... this is technically Major Creation because of the feathers and metal arrow-heads... but it is so specific that it isn't a problem... compare and contrast "Spoil of Endless Rope" maybe? (although I am not sure if that is really endless)... I would say something about them disappearing less than a minute after they are removed from the quiver to keep people from selling them...
Major creation is also a 5th level spell.
So, my hard, and crapply done calculations are right.

Rei_Jin
2008-10-26, 11:06 PM
If you can, pick up a copy of the Dragon Compendium. There's a magic item in there that does something similar to what you are after, and it costs 18,000gp.

Mind you, I'm not sure why you want all your arrows to be made of Darkwood...

AugustNights
2008-10-28, 04:44 PM
Dark Wood
Hallanga (Roughly translated as Wood-Iron)
Tavaranga (Roughly translated as Wooden Iron)

Silver
Telpingille (R.t.a. Silver-Glint)
Tyelpear (R.t.a. Silver)

Adamantine
Voronwa (R.t.a. Enduring)
Oira (R.t.a. Eternal)
VáHáta (R.t.a Don't Break)
Vanda (R.t.a Oath.)

Just some ideas using a simple English-Quenya dictionary.

ericgrau
2008-10-28, 07:14 PM
I'd reverse engineer it from marvelous pigments and simply charge double the cost of the arrows. Marvelous pigments does take 10 minutes OTOH, but that's more of a minor inconvenience than anything. If it makes you feel better, increase the price by whatever amount seems reasonable to you.

Tyonisius
2008-10-29, 08:04 AM
No need to fear.
guy who owns the Magic Item compendium is here!
Oka due to this having a set amunt of charges I doubt it should be 9th level to do bwecause well.. It doesn't even make magic arrows just darkwood/X.
And with the command word activation thats up to a 30% reduction in cost.
9th level, and proly a "Fabrication" (5th level spell.) as the base spell needed for creation with permaency tacked on (thus a XP cost of about les see... 5th level spell= 9X5X100=4500/2= 2250Gp= cost to create, and then you add xp which would be 1/25 which according to my calcs 2250/4=562.2 rounded down is 562 Xp , 2250 GP to create. 4500 GP to buy.)

By dividing 2250 by 4 you are saying that the xp cost is 25% or 1/4 of the GP cost... since it is supposed to be 1/25 of gold cost you would divide 2250 by 25 and get 90 Xp. So the cost to create, would be 2250 GP and 90 Xp using your logic to determine the price. (This price seems about right to me as well.)

Chrono22
2008-10-29, 01:43 PM
By dividing 2250 by 4 you are saying that the xp cost is 25% or 1/4 of the GP cost... since it is supposed to be 1/25 of gold cost you would divide 2250 by 25 and get 90 Xp. So the cost to create, would be 2250 GP and 90 Xp using your logic to determine the price. (This price seems about right to me as well.)
I was going to post sooner but I don't have good computer access.
2250 gp seems about right to me (as a base price), because I know that I would never purchase it if it was over 2500 gp. It seems to be about as valuable as a well-made +1 bow. I know this is a lower amount than any you've suggested, but I think it's justified. The item effect only mimics the spell effect it is based off of in a limited fashion. It can only make arrows- and only of some select materials.
In practice, under most circumstances this bow would create seemingly "endless" arrows, since it's very rare for a character to fire off more than 100 arrows in a day. But as a matter of scope, it's a far weaker effect- infinite +1 arrows is far more valuable than 100 darkwood, 40 silver, or 20 adamantine nonmagical arrows a day.
I decided to make the arrows darkwood for two reasons- it's a lighter weighing substance, and if the arrows were made of normal matter, they would persist a much longer time (see greater creation spell description). To make the "vanishing" arrow effect consistent, the arrows are all made of valuable materials.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chump Lump. I'm definitely using them.