PDA

View Full Version : A variation on poison [3.5 houserule]

UserClone
2008-10-26, 10:23 AM
I am considering having poison's secondary damage occur 1d10+1 (max 10) rounds after the initial damage, rather than the standard flat 10 rounds. I might even have the victim's Con modifier apply to this number, or half the modifier. I would let my players know that the secondary damage time was variable, but not the specifics of it, and I would roll behind the screen. Do you guys think this is a good idea, and/or have you tried similar rules? What about making the type of poison itself determine the timing, such as Black Lotus extract be 1d4 rounds or somesuch? Just something kicking around in my head, because I hate poison almost never having its full effect within the span of one combat. Questions/comments/insight?:smallwink:

Knaight
2008-10-26, 11:04 AM
Genius. Do it.

Keld Denar
2008-10-26, 11:36 AM
If you think you can keep track of it, do it, but it sounds to me like "death by bookkeeping" than anything else. Unless the combat goes on a really long time, I just handle poison saves after combat for PCs. Non-PCs who get poisoned are usually dead by the time the encounter ends, unless its a TPK or some of the poisoned foes run away (then its technically after combat for them too).

Saph
2008-10-26, 11:37 AM
It makes poison much more scary and unpredictable, which is a good thing, but it adds extra bookkeeping for the GM, which is a bad thing. If you have the time to spare, though, I'd say go for it.

- Saph

seedjar
2008-10-26, 11:52 AM
I agree with the others. Very interesting, and fits the situation well, but a PC with a poison build vs. a crowd would be a big headache under these rules. Maybe come up with a median value to use when tracking individuals is too complicated? IE, always take the save DC - 15 or one round later, whichever is greater. I think this might work well with the addition of the Use Poison skill... where was that from again?
~Joe

UserClone
2008-10-26, 01:57 PM
I think I'll just go with 1d10+1 rounds because their Con is already figured into their fort save, so figuring it into the timing seems redundant and unecessary. The +1 is to ensure that you get at least one round to buff up (and/or recover)before you have to make the next save, so it's doesn't get too deadly. Really the additional bookkeeping is pretty minimal, if you are the type who was tracking those 10 rounds anyway (which I am). I like it. Thanks for the encouragement!:smallbiggrin:

Edit: Oooo...another thought: You could craft Masterwork poisons which reduce the time by one round, to a minimum of 2 (again to allow for buffing).