PDA

View Full Version : Clerics powers

Mindleshank
2008-10-26, 12:49 PM
So paladin's lose there power by committing an evil act or associating with evil people. Would a cleric of St. Cuthbert lose his powers by springing about 5-10 serial killers from jail?

On a side note is there a book i can look in for cultists.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-26, 01:04 PM
I'm assuming a Cleric could fall for that being as it would be the opposite of St. Cuthbert's teachings (admittedly, the reason behind liberating the prisoners would probably be more relevant then actually doing it). I'm not sure about cultists, though. I'll tell you if I can think of anything relevant.

EDIT: Book of Vial Darkness contains a little bit about cultists who worship certain entities.

ocato
2008-10-26, 01:18 PM
While Cuthbert might not grant his magical lovins to clerics who oppose his alignment/ideals, some other deity might leap at the chance to steal a highish level convert. Clerics aren't quite like paladins in that they screw up and lose their powers. They typically screw up and get a different patron.

As for cultists? A few clerics, a few wizards. a warlock or two, and maybe a theurge of any of the two. Give them a reason to be hanging out and some vague cataclysmic or sacrificial goal, add parsley and bring to a simmer.

hamishspence
2008-10-26, 01:52 PM
Exemplars of Evil gives, as Non-evil Villain, example of Good Character who insists all executions are evil and keeps springing prisoners, despite fact that they keep going back to their normal ways.

mostlyharmful
2008-10-26, 02:28 PM
I'd say an action on that scale would be an alignment change right off the bat, Clerics don't have an inbuilt way to lose their power without an alignment change but DM fiat doesn't seem too far off RAI when they take actions their diety wouldn't approve of.

Devils_Advocate
2008-10-26, 09:03 PM
I'd say an action on that scale would be an alignment change right off the bat, Clerics don't have an inbuilt way to lose their power without an alignment change but DM fiat doesn't seem too far off RAI when they take actions their diety wouldn't approve of.

Ex-Clerics

A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see the atonement spell description).
Sadly, even books that detail the gods seem to just plain fail to provide specific codes of conduct for their clerics. That's a shame; it would be nice to have something to work with. Guess it's up to the DM if to come up with anything really specific, should that be desired.

While Cuthbert might not grant his magical lovins to clerics who oppose his alignment/ideals, some other deity might leap at the chance to steal a highish level convert. Clerics aren't quite like paladins in that they screw up and lose their powers. They typically screw up and get a different patron.
Clerics do lose their powers if they screw up. They can sign on with someone new, sure, but this shouldn't be any easier than a paladin becoming a blackguard or a holy liberator.

There are actual rules for changing deities, in the PHB II. Excerpt for great justice! (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=6) (The divine conversion bit is down at the bottom.)