PDA

View Full Version : My party fell in a hole and died.

starwoof
2008-10-26, 06:49 PM
Last night my dnd group met for the first time in several months, with new characters in a new campaign, with me as DM. After a few hours of screwing around they made it into the first, very short, dungeon I had designed for them to spend the first part of the night on.

The second room was 20x60 and had a 10ft deep hole next to the far wall. The only monster in the room is a thrum worm, which is CR 2. Ordinarily this would be absolutely no problem for a level 1 party, but...

The spellthief skirts the hole to flank the worm, but fails the arbitrary DC 10 balance, falls in, and drops to -2 hp. Then the druid jumps in to save him, fails his tumble, and drops to -2 hp. The telepath is carrying a potion, so he drops into the hole... but fails his tumble and drops to -2 hp. The thrum worm backs up to shoot the barbarian with it's sonic breath, but falls in the hole (but doesn't drop to -2!).

And finally, the barbarian tries to jump into the hole to kill the worm, but fails his tumble and drops to -2.:smalleek: The worm killed 2 party members before the ranger (who I was temporarily NPCing) ran in and saved the remaining player's butts with his xbow.

Well we all thought it was a riot, and I figured I would share that the party was defeated by a 10 ft deep hole. Have you ever had really embarrassing moments like this?:smallbiggrin:

Pandaren
2008-10-26, 06:53 PM
Nope, but as a DM I almost killed an eighth level party, with a bush.

Very sad.

I need to try the hole though.

FMArthur
2008-10-26, 06:54 PM
TPK. Homeless man. So... many... twenties...

Douglas
2008-10-26, 06:56 PM
How did a mere 10' drop take everyone to -2? Especially the barbarian with his 12+con bonus hit points? Everyone already being hurt combined with bizarre coincidence on the 1d6 falling damage rolls?

Dublock
2008-10-26, 06:57 PM
wow, thats great. Priceless:smallbiggrin:

starwoof
2008-10-26, 07:18 PM
How did a mere 10' drop take everyone to -2? Especially the barbarian with his 12+con bonus hit points? Everyone already being hurt combined with bizarre coincidence on the 1d6 falling damage rolls?

Everyone got sidetracked after the last encounter and forgot to heal up. I would have reminded them but I had forgotten as well.:smalltongue:

Rei_Jin
2008-10-26, 07:26 PM
I haven't done that myself (As a DM), but I have played in a game where my Rogue failed a climb check for a 10ft tall wall, and fell to her death.

There's something very, very wrong where falling 3 metres can kill a HERO.

Hence why I tend to give my players either a 2-3 level start, or bonus hitdie at level 1 so they don't explode when I look at them funny.

Jack Zander
2008-10-26, 07:31 PM
How can even a commoner die from 1d6 damage?

Although, I suppose that is realistic. People have died falling from less than 10 feet before.

mindblank19
2008-10-26, 07:38 PM
LOL

Stats:
10-Foot Hole
CR 5; Large ... ; HD [Who knows?]; hp [once again, who knows]; Spd 0 ' ;AC 13 (-1 size, +4 cover); base attack +0; Grapple +0; Attack* +0 melee (1d6, fall); SA Pit*; SQ Invulnerable; Sv Fort+0, Ref+0, Will +0; Str_, Dex_, Con_, Int_, Wis_, Cha_.

*Pit: This creature has a reach of 0, but gets a free attack (auto Take 10)VS Balance/Tumble check if any creature enters its space.

Invulnerable: This creature cannot be destroyed.

:smallbiggrin:

Triaxx
2008-10-26, 07:45 PM
Hilarious. And with a d4 HD, wizards and sorcerors can die easily from falling damage. Especially if the enemy happens to be around, but usually even if he's not.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-26, 07:53 PM
If a character deliberately jumps instead of merely slipping or falling, the damage is the same but the first 1d6 is nonlethal damage.

Why did skirting the hole require a Balance check, anyway?

Flickerdart
2008-10-26, 07:54 PM
LOL

Stats:
10-Foot Hole
CR 5; Large ... ; HD [Who knows?]; hp [once again, who knows]; Spd 0 ' ;AC 13 (-1 size, +4 cover); base attack +0; Grapple +0; Attack* +0 melee (1d6, fall); SA Pit*; SQ Invulnerable; Sv Fort+0, Ref+0, Will +0; Str_, Dex_, Con_, Int_, Wis_, Cha_.

*Pit: This creature has a reach of 0, but gets a free attack (auto Take 10)VS Balance/Tumble check if any creature enters its space.

Immune to Detect Magic and Detect Alignment, as well as other spells that are blocked by 3 feet of dirt. We can also reasonably assume that since thickness to block magic is the same for wood and dirt...
DR 5/-
1200 HP (10 per inch of thickness x 120")
Also, replace Pit with:
Swallow Whole: The pit attempts to swallow a creature in an adjacent space. Creatures that fail a DC 10 Balance/Tumble check are swallowed by the pit and take 1d6 damage. A swallowed creature may attempt to make a DC 20 Climb check to break free.

starwoof
2008-10-26, 08:19 PM
Why did skirting the hole require a Balance check, anyway?

He could only get around the hole by moving across a foot wide area covered in loose gravel.

LOL

Stats:
10-Foot Hole

XD

mindblank19
2008-10-26, 08:23 PM
I dunno, the hardness and hp should apply to the space around the pit, not inside it. We should say that if this creature does not have enough dirt around it to give it total cover it gets -2 AC and deals no damage, and if it has no cover at all, it dies.

But otherwise, the corrections are precise

Flickerdart
2008-10-26, 08:24 PM
I dunno, the hardness and hp should apply to the space around the pit, not inside it. We should say that if this creature does not have enough dirt around it to give it total cover it gets -2 AC and deals no damage, and if it has no cover at all, it dies.

But otherwise, the corrections are precise
The pit is built out of the dirt, no? Hence, the HP applies. The pit isn't constructed out of air.

starwoof
2008-10-26, 08:31 PM
The pit is built out of the dirt, no? Hence, the HP applies. The pit isn't constructed out of air.

How much dirt is in a 10' hole?:smallwink: My history teacher used to put that as a question on his tests and people got marked down for answering anything other than 'none'.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-26, 08:57 PM

Except by someone with a wheelbarrow full of dirt ...

newbDM
2008-10-26, 09:04 PM
Last night my dnd group met for the first time in several months, with new characters in a new campaign, with me as DM. After a few hours of screwing around they made it into the first, very short, dungeon I had designed for them to spend the first part of the night on.

The second room was 20x60 and had a 10ft deep hole next to the far wall. The only monster in the room is a thrum worm, which is CR 2. Ordinarily this would be absolutely no problem for a level 1 party, but...

The spellthief skirts the hole to flank the worm, but fails the arbitrary DC 10 balance, falls in, and drops to -2 hp. Then the druid jumps in to save him, fails his tumble, and drops to -2 hp. The telepath is carrying a potion, so he drops into the hole... but fails his tumble and drops to -2 hp. The thrum worm backs up to shoot the barbarian with it's sonic breath, but falls in the hole (but doesn't drop to -2!).

And finally, the barbarian tries to jump into the hole to kill the worm, but fails his tumble and drops to -2.:smalleek: The worm killed 2 party members before the ranger (who I was temporarily NPCing) ran in and saved the remaining player's butts with his xbow.

Well we all thought it was a riot, and I figured I would share that the party was defeated by a 10 ft deep hole. Have you ever had really embarrassing moments like this?:smallbiggrin:

Oh dude, that is awesome. Not awesome in a cool way, but awesome in a laughing hysterically at your Macbook way.

Thank you for sharing the story!

And no, I haven't been fortunate enough to have something like this happen.

Just wondering, though, which of the PCs bit-the-bullet before you DM fudged it?

newbDM
2008-10-26, 09:08 PM
Nope, but as a DM I almost killed an eighth level party, with a bush.

Very sad.

I need to try the hole though.

Oh please, PLEASE share that story. As a new DM I wish to learn oh mighty one.

TPK. Homeless man. So... many... twenties...

Damn, I want a story like this. :smallfrown:

I just have to ask, what level and alignment was the party, and what level/class was the homeless man?

FMArthur
2008-10-26, 09:33 PM
Three level 5s, hauling our bound-and-gagged Barbarian through the streets, so four total. It was a guy with 20 HP and +2 BAB. I don't know about class and I assume he was a human; the DM obviously didn't spend a lot of time building the homeless man. A member of our party attacked him for no reason, and diplomanced us into helping out when he started to lose. Our wizard wasn't about to waste spells on a mere peasant, a starving one at that, and was killed after 3 successive 20s in unarmed combat. The wizard had a keen scythe, which transferred its ownership to the homeless man after the wizard died. A few rounds of uneventful misses later, and the rogue that started it falls from a crit. At this point I start to run, and the homeless man uses his AoO to trip me. It's game over when he crits me on my way up then coup de graces the Barbarian after we're all dead. TPK.

Really it was just a few rounds of unlucky rolls and many deaths. At low levels, success/failure depends quite a bit on very few rolls. We actually encountered him on our next campaign eating well in a fancy restaurant in his rags, presumably from our loot. We did not fight him. :smallbiggrin:

starwoof
2008-10-26, 09:33 PM
Just wondering, though, which of the PCs bit-the-bullet before you DM fudged it?

I told the players to roll a d20, and the ones that rolled the lowest got eaten by the worm. The Sota Barbarian(small homebrewed toad race) died first, followed by the Anthropomorphic Weasel druid.:smalltongue:

Ascension
2008-10-26, 09:41 PM
It was my fault due to messing up the CR calculations when advancing the thing's hit dice, but I would have killed a party with a pair of celestial assassin vines had my mistake not been pointed out to me...

I try to use assassin vines in games whenever I can. It's due to an in-joke of sorts. It's just I'm more used to games in which the regular assassin vines are enough of a threat. In attempting to make 'em a threat for a level 11 party it all got a little out of hand.

newbDM
2008-10-26, 09:44 PM
Three level 5s, hauling our bound-and-gagged Barbarian through the streets, so four total. It was a guy with 20 HP and +2 BAB. I don't know about class and I assume he was a human; the DM obviously didn't spend a lot of time building the homeless man. A member of our party attacked him for no reason, and diplomanced us into helping out when he started to lose. Our wizard wasn't about to waste spells on a mere peasant, a starving one at that, and was killed after 3 successive 20s in unarmed combat. The wizard had a keen scythe, which transferred its ownership to the homeless man after the wizard died. A few rounds of uneventful misses later, and the rogue that started it falls from a crit. At this point I start to run, and the homeless man uses his AoO to trip me. It's game over when he crits me on my way up then coup de graces the Barbarian after we're all dead. TPK.

Really it was just a few rounds of unlucky rolls and many deaths. At low levels, success/failure depends quite a bit on very few rolls. We actually encountered him on our next campaign eating well in a fancy restaurant in his rags, presumably from our loot. We did not fight him. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, I thought you were the DM. My bad.

Did you see all those nat 20s being rolled?

Either way, that is a pretty cool story. And I love how the DM brought that NPC back (although I am confused as to why he was still in rags).

Well, at least you made a difference in the life of one needy man.

p.s. Did he have the scythe? :smallbiggrin:

FMArthur
2008-10-26, 10:30 PM
Yes. Yes he did. Not a one of us dared to take it from him. We feared to even approach.

Jack Zander
2008-10-26, 10:43 PM
Hilarious. And with a d4 HD, wizards and sorcerors can die easily from falling damage. Especially if the enemy happens to be around, but usually even if he's not.

No, they can't. You die at -10 and deliberately jumping in makes the first d6 non-lethal.

They can die from bleeding out if they stumbling in rather than jumping in, but the fall doesn't kill them instantly.

golentan
2008-10-26, 11:08 PM
I had a near TPK that ended a campaign in a T20 game. My party was stalking this guy, trying to grab him for a bounty. He makes his spot check to notice one of them, and hides. When the PC goes to investigate, the guy grabs him and puts a gun to the back of his neck. PC1, annoyed, says screw it and goes for his own gun. PC2 closes to within ten meters and gets ready to take bounty guy out. Bounty guy naturally shoots PC1, insta-crit because it's aimed point blank at PC's skull. Boom, PC dies, but not before getting his gun out.

I roll, and find his finger spasms. The gun is modified with a filed down firing pin and several thousand years of advanced innovations. I figure out the burst fire area covered by it going off, and discover it is a 500 meter burst, centered on the PC. Everyone in the area takes either 3d6 or 6d6 damage (T20, so regardless of level you have only CON hitpoints) from the hail of bullets. Except PC2, standing ten meters away, because he had evasion and made the DC 28 reflex save. He simply drops his gun, walks away, and spends the rest of his life hiding from the authorities who are looking for the leader of the "terrorist incident."

And that, my friends, is how I learned not to let players pursue the T20 burst fire rules to their logical conclusions.

Jallorn
2008-10-26, 11:31 PM
Stats:
10-Foot Hole

You made a mistake, there's one thing that strikes true terror in a hole....... A SHOVEL!!!!!!!

lol ;)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-26, 11:33 PM
The basic rule is simple: 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6.

If a character deliberately jumps instead of merely slipping or falling, the damage is the same but the first 1d6 is nonlethal damage. A DC 15 Jump check or DC 15 Tumble check allows the character to avoid any damage from the first 10 feet fallen and converts any damage from the second 10 feet to nonlethal damage...
They should have each gotten two DC 15 checks to avoid the damage, one Dex-based and one dependent on Str and movement rate. Everyone who jumped in on purpose would have only taken nonlethal damage. PCs get max HP at level 1, though I'll assume they were already injured from the typical dangers of adventuring. Know the falling damage rules and you may not arbitrarily kill your whole party next time.

starwoof
2008-10-26, 11:34 PM
You made a mistake, there's one thing that strikes true terror in a hole....... A SHOVEL!!!!!!!

lol ;)

Its also how they breed! Truly it is a tool of life and death for a Dire Pit.

They should have each gotten two DC 15 checks to avoid the damage, one Dex-based and one dependent on Str and movement rate. Everyone who jumped in on purpose would have only taken nonlethal damage. PCs get max HP at level 1, though I'll assume they were already injured from the typical dangers of adventuring. Know the falling damage rules and you may not arbitrarily kill your whole party next time.

They were all unconscious, so even if it was subdual damage it wouldn't have mattered. There was a worm killing one off every round. We play with looser rules in my group, its just how we do it.

Demented
2008-10-26, 11:54 PM
No, they can't. You die at -10 and deliberately jumping in makes the first d6 non-lethal.

They can die from bleeding out if they stumbling in rather than jumping in, but the fall doesn't kill them instantly.

Well, if you want to nitpick, he specified 'falling damage', not 'falling damage at 10 ft.'.

OracleofWuffing
2008-10-26, 11:59 PM

Nope, Wizard's still broken in this case. Curse you, Feather Fall! :smallfurious:

Enlong
2008-10-27, 12:29 AM
Hey, can someone stat up a Pseudonatural Paragon Hole and see where it goes from there?

Kris Strife
2008-10-27, 01:27 AM
I did have a party member do better Perform (lyre) checks after a concussion...

Ecalsneerg
2008-10-27, 02:53 AM
Nope, Wizard's still broken in this case. Curse you, Feather Fall! :smallfurious:

But who ever prepares that spell? Nobody in my group, at least.

Lord Herman
2008-10-27, 03:51 AM
I've never TPK'd my party with a hole, but I did have a character go from full health to -10 HP by a 10' spiked pit.

Said character, a halfling rogue, decided to open the lock on a door. Unfortunately, it was trapped. A trap door opened under him, and he fell 10 feet onto the spikes at the bottom. Badly wounded, he tried to climb out, but at the same time, the sorceror opened the now unlocked door with mage hand. Behind it was an enemy wizard. The sorcerer immediately tossed a fireball in his general direction, but forgot about the rogue. The rogue was scorched by the fireball, lost his footing, fell into the pit again, and was skewered on the spikes.

Luckily, the party druid knew reincarnation, so she revived the rogue as a gnome. A few sessions later, he died from a low-DC contact poison on a doorknob, while the druid had just been plane shifted away by a prismatic spray trap on another door.

Come to think of it, most character deaths in that campaign were because of traps. That's probably because the sorcerer blew up all the combat encounters, though.

Cheesegear
2008-10-27, 04:20 AM
I'm a fan of traps. And Pelor help you and your party if you don't have someone who can find them.

Okydoke, really easy dungeoncrawl that I had designed. After taking out a few guards and mooks (and taking a bit of damage), they get in the complex; First room in, the rogue searches for traps. He finds a trap on a container that clearly has something in it (it doesn't, because the owner of the dungeon took everything of value out...More on this later). So, the rogue sees if he can disable the trap. I look down to check what I've put there on my map. While I'm doing this I hear the dice roll
Player: "Uh oh..."
Me: "What's your mod and what did you roll?"
Player: "I got a 3, and my mod is +11...So...14."
Me: *smiling* "Uh oh...Roll a reflex save."

I had expected this to happed, since I set the DC of the trap fairly high, but since the trap would only go off once, and I knew the rogue would try (rogues have Evasion and good Reflex, don'cha know?). So, since there was nothing actually in the desk, I wanted to set up that whatever was in the desk was important. Hence impressive trap.

Player: "Uh oh..."
Me: "What'd you get?"
Player: "Bad."
Me: "How bad?"
Player: "15. Does that pass?"
Me: *Rolls some dice* "How many hit points do you have?"
Player: "...I have...21 left."
Me: *Smiling* "You just took a 36 damage fireball to the face."
Player: "Crap..."

This was okay, since I'm known to my players as a 'Killer DM'. So, the party says "Don't worry, after this mission we'll loot the place, and hopefully have enough money for a res."
...They were then pretty cut when they had just lost a party member. With the trap disabled/triggered, they opened the desk to find...Nothing. Nothing at all. They weren't happy.

Long story short; I like traps, the party no longer had a rogue. Everyone died except the Barbarian, even with his low Int and Wis, decided to get the heck out of there.

Funny part of it was, that there was barely even any loot in the place. The complex was designed as a 'hook' for the next adventure. So, there was really only a plot-central artifact in there that was never retrieved.

...Like I said, I didn't mean to kill the rogue. I thought he'd make the save...It doesn't help that the Cleric was Evil in alignment and had no healing spells.

Triaxx
2008-10-27, 05:51 AM
Well, when your Fly spell runs out and you're too far from the ground... I've bled to death more times than I can count. Having the enemy dispel it doesn't help either.

Though if you play a more hard variant, without that cushion, you can die even easier. Removing those ten negative HP works at reducing your players to nervous wrecks far better than anything CoC or Ravenloft can throw at you.

Will_Shakespear
2008-10-27, 06:09 AM
I'm a fan of traps. And Pelor help you and your party if you don't have someone who can find them.

So you let your characters face traps, who will be in the "deadly" category then, because no one in the group has the trapfinding class feature (or at least a spell)? IMHO that sounds like some bad DMing, but if your players like that style, keep going. I as a player (I've been a DM for many years also) would freak out in such a situation. But as I said, if the players like that kind of play, keep going.
Do you mix evil and good aligned characters or are all the heroes evil aligned?

Cheerio

Will

Cheesegear
2008-10-27, 06:24 AM
So you let your characters face traps, who will be in the "deadly" category then, because no one in the group has the trapfinding class feature (or at least a spell)? IMHO that sounds like some bad DMing, but if your players like that style, keep going. I as a player (I've been a DM for many years also) would freak out in such a situation. But as I said, if the players like that kind of play, keep going.
Do you mix evil and good aligned characters or are all the heroes evil aligned?

Cheerio

Will

I was 100% for them to quit, but, like I said; THEY said "Hey, we'll keep going, and when we finish we'll res you..." so I kept playing that particular game because they thought they could handle it (incidently, they were wrong). They KNOW that I try to kill them. It encourages them to think.
Even though they were mad about it, they know that I'm not the kind of DM who puts a trap on 'just a desk', even if there's nothing in it. They did figure out that something big was going on, even if they didn't exactly even see the BBEG (this time).
There weren't many spellcasters in that particular group because it's a low-magic setting (and I don't make them face spellcasters either). They did have a cleric, and it's definately not my fault if he ran out of heals at that particular point.

And I do allow mixed alignments. It makes them roleplay against each other (although I don't allow in-party killing). In the case of a Paladin in the party, what he doesn't know about the rest of the party can't hurt him.
The party was;
LG Paladin, CG Warblade, NG Ranger, LN Swashbuckler, LN Rogue, LE Cleric
...Yeah, an LN Rogue...I thought it was a bit weird too. He was under the Paladin's 'guidance'.

To reiterate, I didn't intentionally kill him. With bad rolls on the rogue's part, and good rolls on my part. The rogue died. And the rest of the party kept going, knowing full well that I'm a 'Killer DM'.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-27, 06:34 AM
I personally hate traps, as a DM and as a player. Rogue is seriously the worst suited class for its intended role of trapfinder/scout, since it's one of the least likely classes to resist/avoid/survive a trap it fails to find, and it's one of the least likely classes to escape/survive/defeat a foe that notices it when scouting. The entire Trapfinding class feature/mechanic serves the single purpose of necessitating a primary skill-check character in a party, which nearly half the classes in the game can easily fill as a secondary role if not for the need of a Trapfinding class feature.

As a DM, I throw out Trapfinding as a class feature, making anyone who can make the skill DC able to find/disarm a trap. I replace Trapfinding with a bonus +2/+2 skill feat of the player's choice, such as Alertness, Stealthy, Acrobatic, etc. People who like the Trapfinding classes don't complain, because they get a free feat that they may have spent a feat to gain anyway, and nobody else complains when a group goes without a "party rogue" or other Trapfinder class since then they don't get screwed by traps just because nobody wanted to play one.

The only complaint I have about 3.X is Trapfinding and traps in general, most often they're way too expensive to justify their presence in the first place. I've had players with exceptionally high Disable Device skills insist on removing a trap's workings in a way that it can be sold to be reinstalled somewhere else, which causes a huge problem considering many traps have prices in the tens or even hundreds of thousands of gold pieces. Trap prices are disproportionately high, you have to make them unfairly difficult to even present a proper challenge, and there aren't enough times/places that would be appropriate for using a decent/expensive trap.

Jack Zander
2008-10-27, 08:42 AM
Well, if you want to nitpick, he specified 'falling damage', not 'falling damage at 10 ft.'.

It was a 10 foot deep hole.

newbDM
2008-10-27, 12:36 PM
Its also how they breed! Truly it is a tool of life and death for a Dire Pit.

They were all unconscious, so even if it was subdual damage it wouldn't have mattered. There was a worm killing one off every round. We play with looser rules in my group, its just how we do it.

Plus, weren't any of them armored? If the pit was small, each PC was landing on the last dealing 1d6 points of damage.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-27, 01:26 PM
Plus, weren't any of them armored? If the pit was small, each PC was landing on the last dealing 1d6 points of damage.

Strangely enough, this is exactly how a character of mine died in a 2nd edition game I played...cripes, about a decade ago. :smalleek:

Anyway... The party was trying to escape a wizard's tower from a window close to the top. The rest of the party was fiddling around with a rope while my thief, having something like a 95% to successfully scale the wall unaided opted to do just that. I botched the second or third roll out of eight (I think) and ended up falling several feet. Seconds later, the party cleric (clad in plate mail of some sort) lost her grip on the rope and fell too, landing right on top of my character! The DM ruled that my squishy rogue softened her fall (thus she only took a few dice of damage), while I was effectively squished flat.

I remember the cleric's player ended up spraying soda all over one of the DM's books when she started laughing about the situation just after taking a drink. I considered it sweet revenge for the death of my character. :smallamused:

AslanCross
2008-10-27, 11:14 PM
Wow. This could be more dangerous than the gazebo!