PDA

View Full Version : In memory of (place DND hero name here)

Egiam
2008-10-26, 07:41 PM
You all can use this thread to post the name/class/race/alingment of your beloved dead Dungeons and Dragons characters . (maybe a quote two or something)
Also include how he/she died please.

Seatbelt
2008-10-26, 07:47 PM
I'm ashamed to say I don't remember his first name anymore. But his last name was Fayndar.

LN Dwarf Knight8/Dwarven Defender 4. He died twice in the same encounter. He got mauled in one-on-one combat with the Deugar general, and then the party cleric cast Revivify on him. Then he got hit with a cone of cold, failed the reflex save, and was wielding Hellhound's Leash: A DM item that gave him the fire subtype. That's right folks - twice in the same encounter. The party offered to res him. I said no, it was clearly his time. Nobody could hit that guy. Ever. Except for this Deugar. Remember folks, barbarians are player killers. :P

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-26, 07:55 PM
Black Leaf. 2nd Edition Thief. Killed by poison.

Well, you know the rest of the story :smalltongue:

Jade_Tarem
2008-10-26, 07:56 PM
Hear lies the character Veldrin Ko-Saade,
He made it to level 5 dark elf warblade,
To defeat a foe and his dire bear mount,
And other opponents, too many to count,
And buy time for his friends, when defeat loomed large,
He opted to ready his sword, and to charge,
He swung his blade, gave a tremendous hop,
To the top of the bear, but a claw made him stop,
The bear's check was too large, the grapple too great,
The mount dragged Veldrin down, finished him, and then ate.

True story.

Kroy
2008-10-26, 08:14 PM
Sirek Inta/Ranger/ECL:5/Catfolk/CG

Tracking goblins in the woods, when she got to a clearing. Got killed by a dire bear right then a there

Kilroy (or Kroy)/Human (Sometimes Laguz)/Sword Ranger/ECL: 28/NG

I played Kroy for four years, back when I still played free-form. I used him in a total of 33 different campaigns. From level 1 to 28, I have way to much free time. He died in the battle against the BBEG, the same one from 12 of the campaigns (my group was fond of recurring characters), and a character in a dozen more. This was suppose to be the final battle, though we lost. Kroy died to save his brother, who got killed three rounds later. Our bard got killed a round after that. Our fighter/Black guard and cleric made a valiant stand, but got killed all the same. I doubt I'll ever play Kroy again.

|..............R.I.P...............|
|..............Kroy................|
|....................................|

Captain Six
2008-10-26, 08:20 PM
I have only had one character death so far, my first character, a nameless monk. She was driving the party's submarine as they sailed through the ocean. The elf archer decided it was a good time to break out the deck of many things. He drew the Ruin.

From SRD: Ruin: As implied by its name, when this card is drawn, all nonmagical possessions of the drawer are lost.

It's the only campaign I've been in with a definite conclusion.:smallfrown:

valadil
2008-10-26, 08:36 PM
Joren Cleypool, Human spiked chain wielding gish of doom, levels 1-13. Cause of death: Clerical error. I tumbled up next to the favored soul and called out "heal!" He cast a cure serious. I died the next turn and the rest of the party was lost soon after.

tahu88810
2008-10-26, 08:45 PM
Thondred Some-other-typical-elf-name level 5 ranger/4 sorcerer
The owner of his own band of mercenaries and a tavern, Thondred opted to travel alone. He slew several remorhaz's and an ice wyrm all in the same encounter, the only loss being several meat shields hirelings and followers. Thondred was the wielder of a legendary artifact bow, eventually struck down by the wrath of the great god Dee-Emm for the crime of Maximizing and Minimizing Skills.

Morandir Nailo
2008-10-26, 08:49 PM
Guts, CG Brb 1/Fighter 6 (I think). A clone of Gatts from Berserk, who wielded a fullblade to wicked effect.

We were exploring an enormous cave complex and came upon a pond. I wanted to know what was at the bottom, so I tied a rope around my waist, handed it to one of the other PCs, and dove in. The pond turned out to be a water-filled tube occupied by a purple worm...so I was basically like bait on a line to this thing. Needless to say, my fullblade was of no use to me. Acid damage took its toll pretty quickly.

Mor

Glimbur
2008-10-26, 09:15 PM
Glimbur. Formerly a gnome bard, reincarnated as a dwarf. He started as a joke character, but I grew attached. Sought to be immortal in story; hence why he joined the assault on the dread Srihoz the Vampire, even after several failed attempts. That's also why later, after taking levels in Sublime Chord, he entered Xcrawl. Died frequently in there, but Revivify saved the day, until he faced down DJ Faces' final boss. It went badly. Still, he lives on in our hearts and minds.

Glyde
2008-10-26, 09:17 PM
RIP Glyde Alcaste, Chaotic Good/Neutral/Evil Blade, killed by Phantasmal killer because I forgot about bolstering voice.

...Crappit. Hope I get a raise soon <3

Yukitsu
2008-10-26, 09:19 PM
Cael, lawful good sidhe wizard.

Died of a lethal dose of liches poison. He had the best in game funeral of all of our characters. He made sure, personally, that it was.

For the record, 3 of our characters wound up being some sort of undead by the end of that one.

Gorbash
2008-10-26, 10:05 PM
Hear lies the character Veldrin Ko-Saade,
He made it to level 5 dark elf warblade,
To defeat a foe and his dire bear mount,
And other opponents, too many to count,
And buy time for his friends, when defeat loomed large,
He opted to ready his sword, and to charge,
He swung his blade, gave a tremendous hop,
To the top of the bear, but a claw made him stop,
The bear's check was too large, the grapple too great,
The mount dragged Veldrin down, finished him, and then ate.

True story.

Barney Stinson?

Eclipse
2008-10-26, 10:07 PM
Thistleknot Furfoot, exalted chaotic good kender cleric.

Died saving the world from the fallen band of heroes he traveled with, since no one else would help him, thinking his tales of demons were just kender tales of no substance. So, he made sure the negotiations with the demons failed, and was killed in his sleep by his archmage companion.

RIP.

Andras
2008-10-27, 12:35 AM
The rogue in one game I ran.

Who forgot to put many ranks into Disable Device, rolled a 1 on his Disable Device check, and got full damage rolled from the trap (I ruled it as 2x trap damage, so 2d6 -> 12); which put him at an instant -10.

The player said it was the most impressive death he had ever seen.

Enlong
2008-10-27, 12:41 AM
I have only had one character death so far, my first character, a nameless monk. She was driving the party's submarine as they sailed through the ocean. The elf archer decided it was a good time to break out the deck of many things. He drew the Ruin.

From SRD: Ruin: As implied by its name, when this card is drawn, all nonmagical possessions of the drawer are lost.

It's the only campaign I've been in with a definite conclusion.:smallfrown:
Oh lordy. Wow. That's gotta be one of the quicker ways to TPK.

Behold_the_Void
2008-10-27, 02:58 AM
Oh lordy. Wow. That's gotta be one of the quicker ways to TPK.

Generally Deck of Many Things means the end of the game is nigh.

Suleman
2008-10-27, 06:11 AM
From a now-ended campaign, my unnamed human cleric of the Silver Helm.
No, seriously, I played among a group of friends and we never used our characters' names much, instead calling them by our names or "X's character" and so on. I was supposed to give him a name, but it was just so unnecessary that I never did it. It was a 4-year campaign, so don't think we weren't taking the game seriously.

An enormously handsome priest and covert agent of the Knight Templar-y theocracy of The Silver Helm, my cleric together with his companions first sought and then protected the dangerous, powerful and mysterious artifact known as the Ruby because that's what it was. Ruby was also the campaign's name.

The Ruby's power, unfortunately, had a disfiguring effect which affected its carrier, my cleric. Soon he was so hideous that he had a magical mask made that covered his face and enchanced his magic. After the Ruby was stolen by a traitorous advisor to the king and used to make him a juggernaut of magical energy, my cleric managed to stop him by disrupting his control over the ruby through my character's connection to the Ruby. The Ruby's power proceeded to tear the advisor apart. My character swore to never personally carry the ruby again. It was given for local wizards to study in a controlled enviroment until its future would be decided.

Though my character was tempted to use the Ruby's power, he did not, instead becoming fanatically bent on destroying it, while his companions would have preferred using its power for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Griffon or have it power the spaceship that brought it so it could return to where it came from.

When the Ruby was stolen for the umpteenth time, our party together with a small army of local soldiers stormed the cult's ritual that would have summoned an alien god. The Ruby was once again safe, and our heroes went for a deserved rest... My character, however, sneaked out in the middle of the night and rode fast and hard to the neighboring kingdom, where the Ruby would be destroyed. His companions followed him the next day and there was epic combat and several desperate attempts to stop the destruction ritual, since the Ruby's power could possibly cause immense damage if released.

The attempts failed, and my character's companions were locked in prison, with my character watching over them. His decision could not be changed, and the former companions died watching each other from different sides of the cell bars as the Ruby destroyed the kingdom and much of the surrounding area.

Quincunx
2008-10-27, 06:13 AM
Not D&D, but she never got a proper memorial, not being verifiably dead--when you're one of a company of archmages whose world burns to ash several times per year, figuring out when someone had permanently died was a headache.

To Rosemary, vampire and part-time* ruler of a black mage kingdom, stabbed/staked/disintegrated by her co-ruler in the midst of Minta's temper tantrum. Do not give naturally poisonous darkwood daggers to immature little gnomies, no matter how happy gifties make them. No good can come of it. After waiting for an appropriate time, and scanning the newborns and new arrivals for signs of the old personality, she was considered dead, but no one is willing to risk offending an archmage by having her be reborn and find her own tomb, besides the iffy matter of her body having burnt to cinders and leaving nothing to bury.

*Night time, naturally, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

No. Rosemary attended to domestic affairs and alliances; Minta raised the armies and made war.

Egiam
2008-10-27, 11:57 AM
Not D&D, but she never got a proper memorial, not being verifiably dead--when you're one of a company of archmages whose world burns to ash several times per year, figuring out when someone had permanently died was a headache.

To Rosemary, vampire and part-time* ruler of a black mage kingdom, stabbed/staked/disintegrated by her co-ruler in the midst of Minta's temper tantrum. Do not give naturally poisonous darkwood daggers to immature little gnomies, no matter how happy gifties make them. No good can come of it. After waiting for an appropriate time, and scanning the newborns and new arrivals for signs of the old personality, she was considered dead, but no one is willing to risk offending an archmage by having her be reborn and find her own tomb, besides the iffy matter of her body having burnt to cinders and leaving nothing to bury.

*Night time, naturally, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

What game was that?:smallconfused:

Starbuck_II
2008-10-27, 12:17 PM
I forget his name... it is lost to the ages: a halfing thief. Killed by a trap (how ironic) I think.

I'll include Warcraft d20 (as it uses D&D stuff/d20)

Nucking Futs: Tinker Gnome- he was a builder and designer. He wanted to make his own store selling mechanical devices without MR checks (MR 0). They costed more but he wanted Futs to be a reliable name.

"A name you can rely on"

Sadly, he was blown to bits when he mech (strapped to the rim with exlosives) was knocked to 0 hps (and thus exploded).
That forest will never be the same.

I mean...desert...yeah, it was a desert afterward. Huge explosion. Most of party survived (no one rolled a 1 so equipment was safe)

Tadanori Oyama
2008-10-27, 12:28 PM
Here we lay to rest Russet, 4th Level Neutral Good Cleric of Obidhe, claimed in a single critical sneak attack by a deceptive NPC Rogue in the doorway of the moathouse of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Russet, had you been given the chance to a cast a single spell or even take a meaningful action, than perhaps the hours of work your player poured into your creation may have tasted less bitter at your passing.

Alas, it was not so...

Fnip the Psion
2008-10-27, 06:24 PM
:smallfrown:

first name: Gimble
last name: Turin
nickname: Fnipper
nickname of nickname: Fnip
nickname of nickname of nickname: Snif
race: Gnome
class: Psion lvl 3rd
favorite quote: here we go again (after being lowered into a deep dark hole... again)
favorite Psionic power: Energy Missile
how he died: burnt to a crisp by a living spell

...and yes his name is my avatars name

cezyou
2008-10-27, 06:39 PM
Fekul Ka was a CN Barbarian 8/Ranger 5 and halfway to insanity after his personal war on halflings failed. Because he was half-insane, he acted like that, and was promptly murdered by the party wizard/assassin, in his sleep. And somehow, he didn't wake up when the hobgoblins charged and screamed bloody murder... I don't get that part. Anyway, Arkro, the wizard, then used his Ring of Three Wishes to destroy his soul forever.

Doomsy
2008-10-27, 06:51 PM
Fekul Ka was a CN Barbarian 8/Ranger 5 and halfway to insanity after his personal war on halflings failed. Because he was half-insane, he acted like that, and was promptly murdered by the party wizard/assassin, in his sleep. And somehow, he didn't wake up when the hobgoblins charged and screamed bloody murder... I don't get that part. Anyway, Arkro, the wizard, then used his Ring of Three Wishes to destroy his soul forever.

Wow.

That wizard really wanted him dead forever. That is pretty thorough.

Jade_Tarem
2008-10-27, 07:13 PM
Barney Stinson?

Ah, I'm afraid not.

Quincunx
2008-10-28, 06:12 AM
Archmage: the Reincarnation was a war game which cribbed more than a little bit of its mythos from early Magic: the Gathering. The roleplaying was something of a side effect, and I never remember which RP system provided the darkwood daggers (I ask, I forget, I ask again about a year afterwards).

Hzurr
2008-10-28, 11:47 AM
Well, here it goes for a few of my very first characters:

Un-named male human rogue # 1 - eaten by a bear during the night, because he thought the mages needed to rest, and that he could take the bear by himself.

Un-named male human rogue # 2 - Blew up in a Wizards tower, because his player rolled a natural 1 in a real life logic check, and didn't think that flashing red runes could mean that the thing was going to explode, and decided to stay inside and loot.

Menorra - female human monk - Died from a critical hit by a rogue, because the wizard in the party (who was also her ward) decided it would be funny to give her cursed bracers.

Blackfang108
2008-10-28, 01:50 PM
Scar, level 10 Good Githyanki Starlock, jumped through a portal to 3.5 edition and was killed by Zombies when his powers disappeared. Jigsaw 4e.

CN Halfling Druid, level 8: Run over by a boulder, in a trap with a much higher CR than the deluded GM thought(I blame YOU, Giant!!! He got the idea from Dungeonscape.), then died, crushed when his Stone to Mud spell was dispelled while he was tunneling to freedom, not having the key to the door to freedom.: Jigsaw 3.5.
Brown Bear Companion: Run over by a boulder, in a trap with a much higher CR than the deluded GM thought(I blame YOU, Giant!!! He got the idea from Dungeonscape.)Then, destroyed by a Dragon's Statue later in the same dungeon.: Jigsaw 3.5.

LE Minotaur Monk: Killed by a forced draw from the Deck of Many Things before the campaign even started.

5-10 others in defunct campaigns (Starved to death waiting for the players to start again).

I've had a lot of characters, but only 4 deaths, two of them the same character. (DM reraise due to his cheezing the boulder trap.)

Other Player's PCs:
Rolan, lvl 2 Unalighned Elven Ranger, beheaded for a crime he did not commit. 4e
Whyndham, Lvl 3 Unaligned human Wizard, fell down a hole and was eaten by Shadow Bats. (19 days left to rez.) 4e
Zack lvl 10 unaligned Human Fighter: Starved to death in Jigsaw's Dungeon, looking through the door to freedom. 4e
Luke, Lvl 10 Unaligned Rogue: Starved to death in Jigsaw's Dungeon, having been teleported to the first room, which had been Sealed. 4e

Lord William of William's Keep, killed by a trusted friend. 3.5 Epic, no exp Campaign.
JD: His Soul removed for betraying his friends IRL, he sits gibbering, waiting for true Death. 3.5 Epic, no exp Campaign.
Nick: Thralled by a Vampire, his first act upon meeting me was to shoot me. For no reason. He's still alive, sort of.

Kami2awa
2008-10-28, 02:05 PM
Brother (possibly) Doran, Dwarven Cleric of Indeterminate Gender, died from a single blow from an ogre, leaving him as an inch-thick disk of metal and flesh at the bottom of a small hole. His death inspired my next character, a formerly-NPC cleric of Heironeous, to take up arms against evil.

Vrok
2008-10-28, 02:25 PM
Shostag Rathuuk, Orc Barbarian 7/ Fighter 4. He was in a party of 12 others, for 2 years when , in Hell, he stood his ground before multiple Demons, his sacrifice allowing the rest of his team to escape via wizards portal. He will be remembered as a fallen, but not forgotten Hero.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-10-28, 04:35 PM
Garth
CN Male Human Duskblade 4
Pathfinder campaign
Was just starting to come into his own when Nualia, thrall of Lamashtu eviscerated him with a claw and bastard sword. Then proceeded to use his head as a club to almost kill the party wizard on the trip back.