PDA

View Full Version : Making a new spell similar to Tensor's Floating Disc

powerdemon
2008-10-26, 09:45 PM
I would like some help with a spell or magic item. I'd like something like Tensor's Floating Disc. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/FloatingDisk.htm) But I want something to carry the caster. If anyone has played Warhamer Online, the thing the Magus' use is pretty much what I'm looking for.

If not a spell, I don't mind a magic item (I actually prefer it so as to not use up a spell every day).

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: I just found the request a homebrew thread (I looked too quickly I guess). If anyone wants to delete this thread or just run with it, I don't mind either way.

Jack_Simth
2008-10-26, 09:55 PM
Arrange so that a Flying familiar (Bat, Hawk, Raven, whatever) has an item of Continuous Floating disk. By guidelines, that'd run at 2,000 gp per caster level - which is 2,000 gp per 100 pounds of load. As *most* characters weigh over 100 pounds, you'll probably want it at caster level 2 or 3.

A Raven familiar can pull it off, completely core, with a Lesser Ring of Spell Storing and an Extended (or other metamagic'd) Floating Disk to get the caster level up a bit.

powerdemon
2008-10-26, 10:18 PM
So basically give the familiar an item that casts Floating Disc, and just have it lead the way? Sounds doable. Any suggestions on how to make it not dependent on another 'person'? Maybe making a new spell? I have no idea how to go about making a new spell :(

arguskos
2008-10-27, 02:45 AM
Tenser's Personal Disk
Sor/Wiz 2

As Tenser's Floating Disk, save that the disk does not follow the caster, but instead can be mentally directed by the caster, and can be ridden by the caster.

There you go, something decent. It acts precisely like Floating Disk, meaning it just floats along the ground. You can ride it, so it's priceless for the lazy caster. :smallcool:

-argus

Heliomance
2008-10-27, 06:37 AM
I'm sure I've seen a Tenser's Greater Floating Disc somewhere than can be mentally directed, but I checked all the likely splatbooks and I can't find it again.

powerdemon
2008-10-27, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys :P I think I'll be using that spell Argus posted. I'll just have The lvl 1 and the lvl 2 on at the same time, lazy mans "walk". :P Thanks guys.

Debihuman
2008-10-27, 10:54 AM
You should see Floating Disc, Greater in the Spell Compendium as this allows you to sit on the disc.

Debby

Hawriel
2008-10-27, 01:33 PM
You can sit on tenser's disk, and mentaly direct it. Unless they changed the spell sence 2nd ed. That is the last time I used it.

phoenixcire
2008-10-27, 02:11 PM
I see nothing in the spell description prohibiting a character to ride on the disk...other than the fact that it is slow. Useful to have an "impressive" walk I guess.

Why not just ask your DM if your character can research a way to improve it, adding greater capacity and speed. Then it could be named "(Your character)'s Floating Disk" or anything you desire.

sigurd
2008-10-27, 02:53 PM
This very strange and rare confectionery actually levitates the chewer up to three feet off the ground (300lb 1', 200lb 2', 100lb or less 3'). Once in the air the chewer need only move the gum in his mouth in the direction he wishes to go. Speed of travel is directly related to how fiercely the chewer chews ranging from a lazy lift to a brisk walk.

While chewing the gum falling damage is reduced by 2d6 or by 20' whichever is less. Distances under 20' do no damage but will cause a balance check to drop items carried in the hands.

The gum lasts and lasts :). Each stick works for 1+1d3 hours (rolled by the dm).
Swallowing this gum can cause painful side affects.

Casting spells while chewing this gum requires a concentration check and creates a 5% arcane failure. You can float until your jaw hurts!

Cost: ?
Creation: ?

- Sigurd (Who really has other things he should be doing)

powerdemon
2008-10-27, 03:23 PM
I see nothing in the spell description prohibiting a character to ride on the disk...other than the fact that it is slow. Useful to have an "impressive" walk I guess.

Why not just ask your DM if your character can research a way to improve it, adding greater capacity and speed. Then it could be named "(Your character)'s Floating Disk" or anything you desire.

I was planning on trying that as well.

And sigurd, that is too funny :P

I'll try and find the description for the greater spell, I can't find it at the moment.

Kami2awa
2008-10-28, 02:18 PM
The disk you refer to in Warhammer is a Disk of Tzeentch, and these are actually living (daemonic) creatures not spells or magic items. A nice way to get one would be to homebrew it as a creature and get it as a familiar, though its a little large and powerful.

powerdemon
2008-10-28, 04:40 PM
The only thing I want to use this for is cosmetic. I just want to be the cool mage that rides around on a disc.

How do I go about "Researching" a new spell ingame?