PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: While Haley may still be under the effects of the Cloister spell...

Kaytara
2008-10-27, 01:19 AM
...Vaarsuvius isn't, and never has been. In the event that the cleric successfully manages to cast the Sending spell and gets the right dwarf, what would prevent Durkon from preparing his own Sending spell to contact Vaarsuvius? By extension, how would the elf take it?

RMS Oceanic
2008-10-27, 01:28 AM
It's highly possible that V would cast one of h** uber-scry spells, find it fails, then chastises Durkon for lying just to get h** back, and then completely severs all contact.

David Argall
2008-10-27, 01:48 AM
From Haley's view, the main problem is that this is all too slow, and V & Durkon will have to be ready to casts several raise deads unless she can pull something off in the next 10 minutes.

Roderick_BR
2008-10-27, 05:40 AM
Nothing prevents him from casting Sending to contact V, I just don't think he really feels like it, given how V parted ways with them. He could, however, feel that V's help is far more important, and send "Teleport here. I found Haley."... except that V can't cast teleport. He'd use flight, though, even if it's the 3.5 version, weaker than the 3.0 version.
Of course, V would be skeptical at first "how come he found her, when I couldn't?" A little talk would make it clear that it was Haley that found them, but still, V would have a bad attitude.

Kaytara
2008-10-27, 06:54 AM
From Haley's view, the main problem is that this is all too slow, and V & Durkon will have to be ready to casts several raise deads unless she can pull something off in the next 10 minutes.

That's not the concern here. I meant it more in the sense of 'There's no purpose, dramatically-wise, in Vaarsuvius rejoining the party just like that after leaving, so what's going to prevent him from doing it?'

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-27, 08:56 AM
Loki is the Trickster God, and an Enemy of Durkon's deity.

I'd say it would be more likely that Durkon sees the Sending is from a cleric of Loki and decides the cleric must be working for Xykon to distract him and instill false hope.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-27, 09:18 AM
Loki is the Trickster God, and an Enemy of Durkon's deity.

I'd say it would be more likely that Durkon sees the Sending is from a cleric of Loki and decides the cleric must be working for Xykon to distract him and instill false hope.

Meh. I'm not so sure Durkon knows that or would jump to that conclusion in any case. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0052.html)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-27, 09:27 AM
More to the point, the recipient of a sending only recognizes the caster if the recipient already knows the caster. Likewise, theres nothing in sending that proclaims the patron deity when the spell is cast by a cleric.

Yendor
2008-10-27, 09:30 AM
Durkon can simply check on Celia if he has any doubts about the message, as long as she isn't in the scry-proof room.

Mariel Dragon
2008-10-27, 10:47 AM
Celia is under the Cloister as much as Haley is

FantomFang
2008-10-27, 10:53 AM
I don't recall the cloister being retroactive...While she WAS individually cloistered by Dorukan, she was NOT by Xykon, and I'm pretty sure enough time has passed for the cloister effect to have been dismissed. I mean, how many weeks have passed since the explosion of the Redmountain Gate? Certainly enough to equal Dorukan's caster level, I would think...

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-10-27, 10:58 AM
She will only be Cloistered if Xykon recast the spell while she was in the city.

chibibar
2008-10-27, 11:06 AM
also Celia knows about the Cloister spell, she can feel it (in previous comics) so when Haley told the cleric to cast sending, Celia would have said, "It is too soon, we are still under the effect"

Kaytara
2008-10-27, 12:58 PM
also Celia knows about the Cloister spell, she can feel it (in previous comics) so when Haley told the cleric to cast sending, Celia would have said, "It is too soon, we are still under the effect"

Not quite correct. Yes, she can feel it, but if the Cloister spell is active on them, it doesn't prevent outgoing spells, only ingoing ones - Celia specified that.

David Argall
2008-10-27, 01:11 PM
That's not the concern here. I meant it more in the sense of 'There's no purpose, dramatically-wise, in Vaarsuvius rejoining the party just like that after leaving, so what's going to prevent him from doing it?'

Well, they have presumably been parted a week, so there is some possibility. Maybe more likely is that V will find herself close to Greysky & will go directly to the city. or if V manages to reach Haley in the meantime, a definite dramatic possibility, having Durkon's message arrive after the fight is over has some comic potential.

Isolder74
2008-10-27, 01:48 PM
Celia is under the Cloister as much as Haley is

Actually Unless it was recast, making the problem worse, while Celia was in the city then she is not effected. There is just no reason for V or Durkon to scry on Her as far as they know she's not with them.

She only says that she can feel the effects of the spell on the area after she arrived.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-27, 02:39 PM
Not quite correct. Yes, she can feel it, but if the Cloister spell is active on them, it doesn't prevent outgoing spells, only ingoing ones - Celia specified that.
Even if it did, neither Durkon nor the Cleric of Loki are under the effects of of the spell. Cloister is entirely irrelevant to the sending.

Kaytara
2008-10-27, 02:42 PM
Well, they have presumably been parted a week, so there is some possibility. Maybe more likely is that V will find herself close to Greysky & will go directly to the city. or if V manages to reach Haley in the meantime, a definite dramatic possibility, having Durkon's message arrive after the fight is over has some comic potential.

Personally I'd like that to happen, but I don't think it's likely. Vaarsuvius arriving at this point and blasting everyone would provide too much of a quick fix to Haley's predicament.

I also don't think Vaarsuvius has done enough travelling to be anywhere near Greysky City. The fleet has been sailing for months and are in a completely different climate zone by now. Vaarsuvius didn't set out with the intent to return back to the heart of events, just to find a dark cave to occupy and continue his research.

Really, the only purpose I see in the current events is that the Order reunites withOUT Vaarsuvius, who at a later point makes a spectacular comeback in black robes. Probably not literally... But I really wouldn't like that to happen. Unless it all gets better in the end.

Mariel Dragon
2008-10-27, 04:11 PM
Actually Unless it was recast, making the problem worse, while Celia was in the city then she is not effected. There is just no reason for V or Durkon to scry on Her as far as they know she's not with them.

She only says that she can feel the effects of the spell on the area after she arrived.

m'kay. Confused that whole "Cloister sticks to the people as well" thing... I am no D&D player, although I'd like to be

Warlord JK
2008-10-27, 10:17 PM
The only people cloister affect are Haley and Belkar, and that eventually wheres off, or so I would assume.