PDA

View Full Version : Armed Templates

Lyndworm
2008-10-27, 05:56 PM
Does anyone here remember the Insectile template? I was thinking that it added arms, and I was right. Unfortunately, the extra arms do not add extra attacks.

Can you think of any templates that add arms and add attacks? If none exist (or if you just don't know about them), then howsabout templates or feats that add other methods of attack, such as bites/gores, claws/slams/tentacles, tails/stings, etc.

Thanks alot.

Zack

monty
2008-10-27, 06:02 PM
Tauric could do it, I think.

As for natural attacks in general, there's a bunch of templates for those.

Lyndworm
2008-10-27, 07:28 PM
Tauric may help. It adds all non-head-based attacks from an animal, magical beast, or vermin. Definitely helpful. Still, though, any templates/feats to add extra attacks would be appreciated. Specifically those that aren't added on to existing attack-limbs. That is to say, I would prefer not to add a natural attack onto a limb capable of manufactured attacks.

Thanks.

Zack

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-27, 07:29 PM
Keep in mind also the Multweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting) tree.

golentan
2008-10-27, 07:37 PM
I don't know, insectile is still pretty useful. The same book says that using an adding an additional 1/2 your strength bonus/hand used to wield the weapon, and two handed weapons can be wielded with up to eight hands, and an insectile orc fighter has six hands and up to 22 str w/o level adjustments. That's +6 to hit and +21 to damage, right there, sans power attack. And if you do half ogre cheese?

Yeah. Fun.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-27, 08:17 PM
Try the Girallon Arms soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum) bound to your Totem chakra. Requires a two level Totemist dip, but it's well worth it in my opinion. Also try the girallon's blessing spell. Druid 3, lasts minutes/level, and is available as a potion.

You could also polymorph (or wild shape, if you take Aberrant Wildshape) into a rukanyr, a creature with three bites, six claws, and a slam.

Lyndworm
2008-10-27, 09:08 PM
Thanks a lot, Fax, but I'd really like to avoid class/spell dependant ideas.

Thanks, guys, keep'em coming.

Zack

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-27, 10:04 PM
Arachniod Creature template in the FR book Underdark grants four extra limbs, which can be used to make additional attacks. It doesn't have a LA listed, and gives a -4 Int (Int 0 gets to be mindless), but only a +1 CR.

I actually think that as-written, if you add Insectile and then Arachnoid to a creature it can use all of its limbs to make extra attacks. A friend and I thought up a monster based off this just for fun, it was an Insectile Arachnoid Thri-Kreen, Monk 1/ Soulknife 2/ Soulbow 1 with Vow of Poverty. It got something like 12 Mind Arrows per round, for an insane attack bonus and decent damage, at only a CR 7. A single full-attack from it could easily kill several level 7 PCs, but it was fun to see just how much we could stack up.

golentan
2008-10-27, 10:34 PM
The problem with that is that no LA listed with a CR adjustment is a red-flag for nonplayable monsters/templates. They are only meant for DM's to use in non game breaking situations, or to punish overly velveetized PCs. Otherwise I would be playing a swarmshifter necropolitan in a second.

Lyndworm
2008-10-27, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Arachnoid template can only be applied to Animals and Magical Beasts... Though I could be wrong.

Zack

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-27, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Arachnoid template can only be applied to Animals and Magical Beasts... Though I could be wrong.

Zack

Looking at it again, you're right, it lists Animals, Beasts, and Magical Beasts as the only creature types it can be applied to. That raises the question, what 3.0 book did they copy and paste it directly from, neglecting to update it for 3.5 creature types?