PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - 5 new races - now with guns!

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-27, 08:32 PM
In the setting I am planning, the PHB humans do not exist. Instead, three types of humans, each shaped by their respective environments and lifestyles, are given as racial options. Here they are, complete with feats, for your review.

Paltian Humans

“The Paltians are the honourable inhabitants of the Garden Country. They are quick of blade and strong of arm when the need arises”

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5’6” – 6’2”
Average Weight: 130-200 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, Paltian
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Intimidate
Improviser:
You gain a +3 proficiency bonus when making unarmed attacks and when using improvised weapons. You can use your Strength or your Charisma for Intimidate checks, whichever is higher.
Honour Code:
At the beginning of an encounter, you can select one enemy you can see. You gain a +2 to attack rolls and defences against that target. You take a -1 penalty to all defences against opportunity attacks and area attacks from enemies other than your target until that target is dead or unconscious. You do not gain the benefits or penalties of this effect if you have any allies within 3 squares of you.
Honour Drives You:
You may use the Honour Drive You encounter power.

Honour Drive You
“You strike your foe viciously, convincing them that you are not to be ignored”
Encounter * Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Attack: Strength or Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] damage and the target must attack you (save ends).
Increase damage to 2[W] at level 11 and 3[W] at level 21.
At level 11, enemies take a -2 penalty to the saving throws against the effects of this attack.
At level 21, enemies are also slowed (save ends)
Special: You can use this attack as part of a charge. Chose either Dexterity or Strength when you make your character for the purposes of this attack. Once made, this choice cannot be reversed.

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Noble Duel [Paltian]
Prerequisites: Honour Code feature, Honour Drives You racial feature
Effect: You may use your Honour Drives you power at-will against the target of your Honour Code. However, you must still not have any allies within 3 squares of you.

Free Hand Strike [Paltian]
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Improviser racial feature
Effect: If you have a free hand, or are wielding a versatile weapon in two hands, you can make an immediate reaction unarmed attack against a foe that misses you. This still counts as your immediate action for that round.

Paragon Tier

Spirit Warrior [Paltian]
Prerequisites: Improviser class feature
You may add your Wisdom or Charisma modifier, whichever is higher, to the damage rolls of your unarmed attacks.

Shocar Humans

“The Shocar humans live among the great marshes of the northwest. They are a studious bunch, in large part due to the confining aspect of their country”

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5’4” – 6’0”
Average Weight: 120-180 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Speed: 6 squares

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 History
Bookworm:
You gain a +4 racial bonus to Monster Knowledge checks.
Bog Connoisseur:
You gain the Swamp Walk feature. You ignore difficult terrain that is the direct result of bogs or swamps. In addition, you gain combat advantage against any enemy standing in a bog or swamp if that enemy treats the bog or swamp as difficult terrain.
Extensive Study:
You gain an additional feat or an additional at-will power from your class, whichever you prefer. This choice cannot be undone once made.

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Studied Environments [Shocar]
Prerequisites: Int 15
Effect: Choose a type of difficult terrain. Your Bog Connoisseur feature now applies to that type of difficult terrain.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time you take this feat, select another type of difficult terrain.

Tactical Movement [Shocar]
Prerequisites: Int 15
Effect: When you have combat advantage against a creature because of your Bog Connoiseur racial feature, your attacks also slow it until the end of your next turn on a hit. If the power would slow them anyways, they are immobilised.

Paragon Tier

Studied Tracker [Shocar]
Prerequisites: Int 17
Effect: You may use your intelligence modifier when making a nature or dungeoneering check used to track a creature.

Tiolan Humans

“The Tiolans are a simple and hardy folk who work at a task until its done right”

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5’6” – 6’2”
Average Weight: 140-240 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom

Languages: Common, Tiolan
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature
Bearer of Burdens:
Increase all of your carrying capacities by 25% and negate a speed penalty induced by either armour, heavy weapons or heavy load by a maximum of 1.
Contagious Cheeryness:
You reduce the DC of any Diplomacy check made within 5 squares of you in which you are involved by your Wisdom modifier.
Unflappable Work Ethic:
You gain training in one additional skill. This skill need not be a class skill for you, but you must have 12 or higher in the relevant ability.

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Sturdy Shoulders [Tiolan]
Prerequisites: Str 13, Con 15
Effect: Add your Con modifier to your Strength Score for the purposes of calculating your carrying capacities

Tiolan Durability [Tiolan]
Prerequisites: Con 15
Effect: Add your Constitution modifier to your healing surge value

Paragon Tier

Increased Durability [Tiolan]
Prerequisites: Con 17, Tiolan Durability
Effect: You gain a number of additional healing surges per day equal to your Constitution modifier. You also gain a bonus to Endurance checks equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Firbolgs

“The Firbolgs are the only known race to get along with both elves and dwarves”

Racial Traits
Average Height: 6’2” – 7’4”
Average Weight: 180-300 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Vision: Low Light

Languages: Common, choice of Elven, Dwarven or Giant.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Nature
Oversized:
You can wield weapons of your size or one size category larger than you as if they were your size.
Giant Heritage: Your ancestors were giants, so you have the Giant subtype.
Harsh Resilience:
You can use your second wind as a minor action instead of a standard action.
Rallying Charge:
When you charge, allies within 5 squares of you gain a +1 to their next attack roll against the target of your charge. This effect lasts only until the end of your next turn.
Deceptive Veil:
You can use Deceptive Veil as an at-will power.

Deceptive Veil
“You do not stick out in crowds when you do not wish to draw attention”
At-Will * Illusion
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You and all your equipment appears as if it was meant for a normal human. Change your height, weight and equipment size accordingly. You can dismiss this effect as a minor action. Your damage and attack are not changed by this veil.

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Forest Firbolg Step [Firbolg]
Prerequisites: Trained in Nature
Effect: You ignore difficult terrain that is a result of forest or dense foliage when you charge
Special: You cannot take this feat if you have Mountain Firbolg Resilience feat

Mountain Firbolg Resilience [Firbolg]
Prerequisites: Con 15
Effect: You gain resist cold equal to half your level + your constitution modifier until the end of your next turn when you spend your second wind
Special: You cannot take this feat if you have the Forest Firbolg Step feat

Paragon Tier

Natural Resistance [Firbolg]
Prerequisites: Forest Firbolg Step or Mountain Firbolg Resilience, Trained in Nature, Con 17
Effect: You gain one of the following effect, depending on which feat you have that is a prerequisite for this feat:
If you took the Forest Firbolg Step feat, you gain resist poison equal to 5 + ½ your level.
If you took the Mountain Firbolg Resilience Feat, you gain resist fire equal to 5 + ½ your level.

Duergar

“The duergar are typically a malevolent race. They live alongside Lolth’s drow in the bowels of the Underdark”

Racial Traits
Average Height: 4’3” – 4’9”
Average Weight: 160-220 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Common, Dwarven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Endurance
Cast-Iron Will: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against charm
Duergar Psi Focus: You gain a +1 racial bonus to damage rolls with powers that have the psychic keyword. This increases to +2 at level 11 and +3 at level 21.
Psionic Anchor:
As a minor action, you can select one square within 5 squares. You cannot be moved more than 5 squares away from that point by forced movement. If you move more than 5 squares away from the “anchor” the effect is dispelled.
Duergar Psicraft:
Once per encounter, you can use either enlarge self power or mind slam power.

Enlarge Self
“You grow several times your size, allowing you to crush your foes for a short time”
Encounter * Polymorph
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You grow one size category larger until the end of your next turn. All of your equipment scales appropriately, and you weapon’s damage is altered according to the weapon size advancement tables.
Special: You must have space in which to grow in order to use this ability.

Mind Slam
“You ram your consciousness into your foe, knocking them back”
Encounter * Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: You push the target a number of squares equal to your intelligence modifier and they are knocked prone.
Increase the attack bonus to +4 at level 11 and +6 at level 21.

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Improved Psi Focus [Duergar]
Prerequisites: Int 15, Duergar Psi Focus
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls with powers that have the Psychic keyword. You also gain a +2 feat bonus to damage with powers that have the Psychic keyword.

Resounding Mind Slam [Duergar]
Prerequisites: Duergar
Effect: When you hit with your Mind Slam racial power, the target also takes a -2 penalty to Will defence until the end of your next turn.

Paragon Tier

Master Psicraft [Duergar]
Prerequisites: Duergar
Benefit: Your Duergar Psicraft racial trait normally lets you use either enlarge self or mind slam. Now enlarge self and mind slam are two separate encounter powers. You can use each power once per encounter.

Duergar Endurance [Duergar]
Prerequisites: Duergar, Con 15
Benefit: Increase your number of healing surges by two. You gain a +2 feat bonus to your Fortitude defence when you are bloodied.

Improved Enlarge Self [Duergar]
Prerequisites: Duergar, Con 15
Benefit: When you activate Enlarge Self, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier +5. Your Enlarge Self racial power now lasts until you run out of temporary hit points or for a maximum number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-28, 08:43 PM
Added Firbolgs (which I would really like PEACHed, since they have a number of racial features)

Duergar soon.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-29, 06:15 PM
Duergar added. They have a MUCH bigger Psi focus in my rendition than they did in 3.X, but I thought that making them too much like normal dwarves would be boring :smallwink:.

Hopefully I'll get some feedback...

Zocelot
2008-10-29, 06:32 PM
The Firlbog's rallying charge seems a bit powerful. I suggest making it only apply to the target of the charge, and if they don't make the attack before the end of their next turn, the bonus is wasted.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-29, 06:33 PM
The Firlbog's rallying charge seems a bit powerful. I suggest making it only apply to the target of the charge, and if they don't make the attack before the end of their next turn, the bonus is wasted.

Um, that would suck. You don't charge allies. Therefore, you'd give the bonus to the enemy. Maybe if it was adjacent units at the start of the charge?

AgentPaper
2008-10-29, 06:50 PM
Um, that would suck. You don't charge allies. Therefore, you'd give the bonus to the enemy. Maybe if it was adjacent units at the start of the charge?

What he meant was, change it to this: "Allies within 5 squares of you gain a +1 to their next attack roll against the target of your charge. This effect lasts only until the end of your next turn."

Alternately, you could make it so they only get the bonus if they are charging, but it doesn't matter who they charge.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-29, 07:09 PM
@^ - Ah, that's why WotC has Erratas. wording confusion.

Sorry, yeah that makes sense now. I'll just steal that wording and put it in.

Moff Chumley
2008-10-29, 09:15 PM
Very cool concept. I love your homebrews.

KKL
2008-10-30, 01:41 AM
Paltians look good, but the Nobel Duel feat makes no sense. Free Hand Strike could potentially prove to be really powerful, though. But I like it.

Shocar...bit iffy about Extensive Study. Otherwise, the rest looks nice, although both Heroic Tier feats might be a wee too strong.

Tiolans look pretty good. I especially like Contagious Cherriness, although the Increased Durability...let's just say that it's pretty much a must take feat. Hammerers especially. Oh jesus, hammerers. Double Con mod healing surges and you deal con mod damage on a miss. Talk about ****ing tanky.

No complaints about Firbolgs.

Duergar...Enlarge Self is godly powerful. Mind Slam is decent. Enlarge Self is godly. The feats are pretty good. And Enlarge Self is STILL godly oh god. Did I mention how Enlarge Self is awesome? I didn't? Enlarge Self is awesome.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-30, 06:54 AM
@^ - When you say how awesome Enlarge Self is, do you mean overpowered, or you really like it? I actually thought it was much more situational than Mind Slam, personally.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-30, 04:44 PM
To go along with the random interjections of steampunky flavour in this campaign, here is my rendition on the oft-tried 4e Firearms:

4e Firearms (thanks to flyingpoo22 for his tabling skills)

{table=head]Weapon|Weapon Prof.|Damage|Range|Price|Weight|Group|Properties
Hand Pistol|+3|1d6|10/20|30 gp|2 lbs|Firearms|Off-Hand, Load Clip
Blunderbuss|+2|1d6|Special|45 gp|14 lbs|Firearms|Load Minor, Spray
Sniper Rifle|+3|1d12/1d10/1d8|10/30/60|50 gp|8 lbs|Firearms|Load Minor, Momentous Far Shot
Shoulder Canon|+2|2d6|20/40|80 gp|25 lbs|Firearms|Knockdown, Load Standard, Heavy[/table]

Other Notes: Hand Pistol and Blunderbuss are military ranged, Sniper Rifle and Shoulder Canon are superior ranged. Hand Pistol is one handed, the rest are two-handed. A clip of bullets for a Hand Pistol contains 8 bullets.

New Properties:

Spray: This weapon attacks with a close blast 3 normally, which does not provoke opportunity attacks. Its far shot can be made Burst 1 within 10 at a -2 far shot penalty. Making a far shot with a spray weapon provokes opportunity attacks. Blunderbuss bullets cost 1 gp for 10 shots.

Momentous Far Shot: This weapon’s projectile looses momentum as it enters its long range. Rather than lose accuracy, it instead looses damage (as indicated). The Far Shot feat does not assist the user with this penalty. Sniper bullets cost 1 gp for 20 bullets

Knockdown: This weapon knocks a foe prone on a successful attack. Canon Balls cost 1 gp each.

Heavy: This weapon incurs a -1 speed penalty on its carrier, as well as a -1 check penalty.

Inyssius Tor
2008-10-30, 04:45 PM
So... do you get reach?
EDIT: And your blunderbuss is awfully good. Might want to change it to a Blast 2?

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-30, 04:48 PM
So... do you get reach?

Yes, you do get reach (that's the main feature of the power)

Also, the Improved Enlarge Self feat is being modified.

KKL
2008-10-31, 02:23 AM
@^ - When you say how awesome Enlarge Self is, do you mean overpowered, or you really like it? I actually thought it was much more situational than Mind Slam, personally.

Actually, nevermind. It's great, but I was thinking it gave you threatening reach, which would have been godly.

So it's just great, but not broken.

As for the firearms, I cna't complain here, although the Sniper Rifle is less than what I'd expect.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-31, 10:26 PM
As for the firearms, I can't complain here, although the Sniper Rifle is less than what I'd expect.

however, in a world where firearms are just as viable an option, but not better, than the bow and crossbow, the modern sniper rifle has no place. Instead, this sniper rifle is more in line with the power level of the items. And the range is really nice.

Also, the Blunderbuss can make Ranged Rangers rather overpowered. Twin Strike Cblast 3? I think maybe it should be a CBlast 3 that provokes AoOs as a normal ranged weapon (specific rule beats a general rule and all that). That way RRangers would still have to shift/Nimble Strike to use it effectively. It also allows them to be a very effective pseudo controller.

KKL
2008-11-03, 01:23 AM
Shoulder Cannon should be a move action to load, instead of a standard action. As is, the average damage per shot is 3.5, which deals less damage than a dagger (1d4) in the same amount of time.

however, in a world where firearms are just as viable an option, but not better, than the bow and crossbow, the modern sniper rifle has no place. Instead, this sniper rifle is more in line with the power level of the items. And the range is really nice.
Ah, right. I was going off of the modern image of a sniper, sitting about half the country away.

Also, the Blunderbuss can make Ranged Rangers rather overpowered. Twin Strike Cblast 3? I think maybe it should be a CBlast 3 that provokes AoOs as a normal ranged weapon (specific rule beats a general rule and all that). That way RRangers would still have to shift/Nimble Strike to use it effectively. It also allows them to be a very effective pseudo controller.
Actually, in my opinion, the blunderbluss would actually be in line with the Archer Ranger's preferred weapon (Superior Crossbow), albeit slightly less desireable due to the close proximity.

EDIT: oh hay, the Blunderbluss is a 1d6, compared to the S. Crossbow's 1d10. The Crossbow beats it by a mile and a half.

Shadow_Elf
2008-11-03, 07:45 AM
Shoulder Cannon should be a move action to load, instead of a standard action. As is, the average damage per shot is 3.5, which deals less damage than a dagger (1d4) in the same amount of time.
Actually, in my opinion, the blunderbluss would actually be in line with the Archer Ranger's preferred weapon (Superior Crossbow), albeit slightly less desireable due to the close proximity.

EDIT: oh hay, the Blunderbluss is a 1d6, compared to the S. Crossbow's 1d10. The Crossbow beats it by a mile and a half.

The Blunderbuss is Military, and as such does not require a proficiency feat.
The Shoulder Canon also knocks prone at-will. Maybe load move would be more fair, but on a Ranged Ranger with Twin Strike...

KKL
2008-11-03, 12:03 PM
The Blunderbuss is Military, and as such does not require a proficiency feat.
The Shoulder Canon also knocks prone at-will. Maybe load move would be more fair, but on a Ranged Ranger with Twin Strike...

Blunderbluss: Ah, I missed that. Perhaps an increase in damage die to a d8 would better suit it?

Shoulder Cannon: It would actually be less effective in that circumstance, as knocking things prone gives them +2 defense against ranged. And in this case, it could be ruled that the effect of Shoulder Cannon knocking things prone would lower the average damage of the Shoulder Cannon simply because it would knock things prone, causing you to miss more often. Although the idea of a 20 average damage Twin Strike at level 1, is indeed, hilarious. Also, elf with Shoulder Cannon. Although sticking a Bugbear with this shoulder cannon would increase damage to 26.

...Is the Shoulder Cannon a superior weapon? =(

Shadow_Elf
2008-11-03, 05:49 PM
Blunderbluss: Ah, I missed that. Perhaps an increase in damage die to a d8 would better suit it?

Shoulder Cannon: It would actually be less effective in that circumstance, as knocking things prone gives them +2 defense against ranged. And in this case, it could be ruled that the effect of Shoulder Cannon knocking things prone would lower the average damage of the Shoulder Cannon simply because it would knock things prone, causing you to miss more often. Although the idea of a 20 average damage Twin Strike at level 1, is indeed, hilarious. Also, elf with Shoulder Cannon. Although sticking a Bugbear with this shoulder cannon would increase damage to 26.

...Is the Shoulder Cannon a superior weapon? =(

1) I would consider upping the damage if it provoked opportunity attacks at normal range. Currently, it does not.

2) Prone also grants CA. Which Means you get -2 for ranged attack, and +2 for CA, which makes +0. This is mainly to give allies a chance to maneuver, to give melee allies CA, and to stop fleeing enemies dead in their tracks.

3) It is, indeed, Superior (Hand Pistol + Blunderbuss = Martial, SC ans Sniper Rifle are Superior)