PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Myrtok

Felixaar
2008-10-27, 10:39 PM
Minor Start of Darkness spoilers...

is Myrtok actually related to Sara or Eugene? or is it just one of those close enough to be brothers relationships? since Eugene says he met Myrtok when they formed an adventuring party, but he met Sara at a party the library. Though Myrtok is - assuming he still lives - a family friend, since he gave Eric that piano.

MReav
2008-10-27, 11:56 PM
Response:

Uncle Myrtok is Caucasian. My money's on close family friend. Step-brother to Sara on the outset. Plus, he met Myrtok long before he met Sara.

Warlord JK
2008-10-28, 12:17 AM
I agree with the above post, but its also possible Horace married twice and the 2nd time was to a caucasion women who bore him Myrtok.

waffletaco
2008-10-28, 12:27 AM
Response:

Uncle Myrtok is Caucasian. My money's on close family friend. Step-brother to Sara on the outset. Plus, he met Myrtok long before he met Sara.

technically he isn't :P No Caucasus in OOTS for all we know.

B. Dandelion
2008-10-28, 12:31 AM
Origin: Roy: You've died like six times already, thanks in part to the fact that two of your oldest friends are clerics. Why not just go ask Uncle Myrtok to bring you back again and leave me alone?
Roy uses "uncle" and "friend" interchangeably.

MReav
2008-10-28, 12:39 AM
I agree with the above post, but its also possible Horace married twice and the 2nd time was to a caucasion women who bore him Myrtok.

Might explain some of the animosity between him and his father

DreadSpoon
2008-10-28, 01:27 AM

The resulting child would be biracial, not white. You can definitely tell the difference.

(Is there a reason to use the term Caucasian, which is a term for the races of people originating for a specific set of geographical locations? Do you call Roy an African-American? Political correctness is not always correct... and sometimes it's just insulting. I bet you'd be at a total loss to figure out what to call a black guy from England. :p )

Felixaar
2008-10-28, 01:37 AM
African-Britican?

(this post brought to you by Felixaar's impulse to make a joke out of everything)

David Argall
2008-10-28, 01:46 AM
The possibility should be noted that the difference in skin pigmentation was effectively meaningless from the start, that it was no more than one way of several to distinguish largely identical figures.

Arkenputtyknife
2008-10-28, 01:46 AM
(Is there a reason to use the term Caucasian, which is a term for the races of people originating for a specific set of geographical locations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race
It's a misnomer, but a widely-used and (apparently) officially-accepted one, at least in the USA. I've filled out numerous forms where the only option for white people was the little checkbox marked "Caucasian".

I bet you'd be at a total loss to figure out what to call a black guy from England. :p )

When I was in school, we had lots of things to call a black guy from England. None of them were complementary, and all have, thankfully, fallen out of use in my present vocabulary.

LuisDantas
2008-10-28, 04:18 AM
It is not always possible to guess one's parents' skin colors from one's own. My father has much darker skin than mine own.

pearl jam
2008-10-28, 04:26 AM
Myrtok could be married to a sister of Eugene or Sara, making him Roy's uncle by marriage, rather than blood.

Linkavitch
2008-10-28, 02:08 PM
Political correctness is not always correct... and sometimes it's just insulting.

At which point, it no longer is politically correct.:smile:

Shatteredtower
2008-10-28, 02:27 PM
The resulting child would be biracial, not white. You can definitely tell the difference.Or the Giant could have no qualms with casting Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves as brothers in a Shakespearean comedy.

And why would he? If the game rules allow your humanoid family to go several generations without manifesting the traits of a draconic or extraplanar ancestor, why be surprised at an extreme difference in pigmentation between human siblings? No reason the hair colour we see for Julia (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0364.html) couldn't be natural either -- or even just the streaks.

Having said that, I'm assuming that Roy is merely using "uncle" in the fashion I was expected to use for familiar adult males with whom "Mister" was deemed too formal back when I was a child.

NerfTW
2008-10-28, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I agree that he's probably not a blood relative, he's just called Uncle Myrtok.

That's pretty extremely common, actually, I can't imagine someone being confused by it.