PDA

View Full Version : Grafts

Albonor
2008-10-27, 11:03 PM
Is there a complete list of all the WOTC grafts out there? Did someone make a compilation of them all? A player of mine is looking into replacement limbs, more effigy-style than tentacle. Think Doctor Frankenstein meets StarWars meets steampunk.

Yes, he is a fleshwarper, neutral as it is.

So far, I've only found some in Lords of Madness ans the Fiend Folio.

Temp.
2008-10-27, 11:08 PM
Check Libris Mortis and Races of the Dragon. I don't know of any others, though. Maybe in HoH, BoED or the BoVD...

Iku Rex
2008-10-27, 11:10 PM
Faiths of Eberron has construct grafts.
Fiend Folio has aboleth, beholder, fiendish, ilithid, maug (constructs), undead and yuan-ti grafts.
Libris Mortis has undead grafts.
Lords of Madness has aboleth, ilithid and silthilar grafts.
Magic of Eberron has deathless, elemental and plant grafts.
Races of the Dragon has draconic grafts.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-27, 11:11 PM
Magic of Ebberon has some as well.

Just remember to ignore the restrictions in MoE and RoD on the number of grafts a character can have and the limitation of only having 1 type of them, it destroys the Fleshwarper utterly.

There's also the Half-Golem template - an Iron Golem arm would be quite steampunky - but it's a hefty LA and has its own issues.

Albonor
2008-10-28, 10:08 AM
Well, that was extensive! thanks!

The Glyphstone
2008-10-28, 10:10 AM
Did I mention that Fleshwarpers are freaking awesome? My favorite character of all time was a fleshwarper.

sonofzeal
2008-10-28, 11:00 AM
I'm playing a fleshwarper now, and loving it!

As for grafts, I highly recommend going for Elemental Grafts first, as they're probably the largest and most flexible family of grafts in the game. They also include a few absolute gems, like "Buffeting Fist" which will practically make you immune to arrows, as well as provide a powerful knockback burst in emergencies, AND synergizes with other Air grafts to improve your base land speed!

Draconic and Undead grafts are good too; Silithar grafts are awesome but unbelievably expensive, so I'd save them for last.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-28, 01:11 PM
The Fiendish grafts have some gems too for a gish - the extendable arm that gives +5ft reach and the fast leg for +5ft move speed are both really cheap.

Adumbration
2008-10-28, 01:20 PM
How on earth can you qualify for Fleshwarper without heavily multiclassing? Graft flesh requires 10 ranks in Heal - cross class for arcane casters - and it requires Familiar as well, so you can't qualify with a divine caster either. What's up with that?

Also, what grafts can you use without being a monstrous race? Most grafts have a requirement of being the same race.

icefractal
2008-10-28, 01:46 PM
Able Learner solves your skill rank problem, and I believe Fleshwarper has a special ability to create grafts without the normal requirements.

Adumbration
2008-10-28, 02:00 PM
Able Learner solves your skill rank problem, and I believe Fleshwarper has a special ability to create grafts without the normal requirements.

Not really. If I recall correct, Able learner only makes the cross class ranks cost 1 point each, instead of two. You still need to be level 17 to be able to get 10 ranks in cross class, I think.

hamishspence
2008-10-28, 02:03 PM
apparently if its a skill in one of your classes, it doesn't have to be both, maximum ranks is your level +3.

So a Wiz3/Cleric1 has a maximum Heal rank of 7. Even though he would have to spend some of those skills via cross-class.

Some prestige classes and sample characters really puzzled me until I figured this one out.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-28, 02:04 PM
You just have to make a 1-level dip in a class that has Heal as a class skill. A Cleric 1*/Wizard 8 with Able Learner can enter the class starting at ECL10, taking Graft Flesh as his 9th level feat.

*Or Factotum, or Rogue, or Whatever you Want. Heck, an Adept (the NPC class) has Heal as a class skill and gets a familiar without multiclassing...not that that makes it good*, but it at least can get into the class easier than a PC can.

**Actually, the Adept's spell list isn't bad. Not up to par with true full casters, but it's got some fairly potent bombs on there.

Albonor
2008-10-28, 02:25 PM
Well, if you go divine oracle (a 2lvl dip) and don't take you feat at level 6, waiting fo level 7, a decent int can allow you to take the 10 ranks in heal without losing a CL.

I ruled for my game that skill focus added a skill to your skill list, so he took it at level 3 for heal

The Glyphstone
2008-10-28, 02:29 PM
Well, if you go divine oracle (a 2lvl dip) and don't take you feat at level 6, waiting fo level 7, a decent int can allow you to take the 10 ranks in heal without losing a CL.

I ruled for my game that skill focus added a skill to your skill list, so he took it at level 3 for heal

Since when can you delay taking a feat? I've never heard of that rule before.

AmberVael
2008-10-28, 02:29 PM
For Fleshwarper qualification I recommend Arcane caster + 3 Human Paragon, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon)

Iku Rex
2008-10-28, 02:58 PM
How on earth can you qualify for Fleshwarper without heavily multiclassing? Graft flesh requires 10 ranks in Heal - cross class for arcane casters - and it requires Familiar as well, so you can't qualify with a divine caster either. A few levels of loremaster will do the trick.
Most grafts have a requirement of being the same race.The fleshwarper gets an ability (Graft Mastery) that lets him ignore that restriction for chosen graft types.

BooNL
2008-10-28, 03:20 PM
Fleshwarper looks like an interesting class. Where can I find it?

hamishspence
2008-10-28, 03:26 PM
Lords of Madness book.

BooNL
2008-10-28, 03:28 PM
Thanks. I've never heard of that book, I'll check it out :smallsmile:.

Person_Man
2008-10-28, 03:40 PM
The most recent version of the Fleshwarper was published in Lords of Madness, pg. 189. It supersedes the version published in Complete Arcane. It requires:

Any Non-Lawful Alignment
4 ranks of Heal, 8 ranks of Knowledge (arcana)
Graft Flesh feat
Summon Familiar class feature

So a regular Wizard 5 or Sorcerer 5 or Hexblade 5 can easily gain entry.

Fleshwarper provides D6 hit die, 5/10 BAB, 9/10 casting (losing a level of progression on the first level), new abilities for your familiar, a graft reserve that you can use instead of experience points to make grafts, new abilities for your body, the ability to ignore graft restrictions, the ability to graft more quickly, and transformation into the aberration type (darkvision, +2 Con, not effected by certain spells).

It's a very interesting class. The only real problem is that there's no natural synergy. Wizards and Sorcerers won't be on the front line (so no need for more tentacles) and already have access to spells that can do pretty much everything that grafts can do. A Hexblade and his familiar will be seriously hurt by the poor BAB. You need Summon Familiar as a class feature for entry, so Bard's and Spelltheif or other arcane casters will have to dip into Sorcerer or Wizard if they want entry, rather then just taking the Obtain Familiar feat.

In many ways, I think the best option is to have a Wizard 5/Fleshwarper 10 who has another party member who is his personal experiment. This way the party Barbarian or whatever can benefit from the crazy grafts and whatnot, while the Fleshwarper acts as a traditional Batman wizard.

Iku Rex
2008-10-28, 04:32 PM
The most recent version of the Fleshwarper was published in Lords of Madness, pg. 189. It supersedes the version published in Complete Arcane. It requires:

Any Non-Lawful Alignment
4 ranks of Heal, 8 ranks of Knowledge (arcana)
Graft Flesh feat
Summon Familiar class feature

There is only one version of the fleshwarper, the one in Lords of Madness. It's not in Complete Arcane.

The 10 ranks of heal are a prerequisite for the Graft Flesh feat.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-28, 04:34 PM
(so no need for more tentacles)

Sorry, what? I don't understand what you're saying here...

Inyssius Tor
2008-10-28, 04:57 PM
Speaking hypothetically:

A wizard's ability to cast spells will not be significantly improved by six fully articulated, razor-edged tentacles (each capable of wielding a Large bastard sword) protruding from his back and shoulders.

A barbarian's ability to hack things into very small bits, on the other hand...

arguskos
2008-10-28, 05:00 PM
Speaking hypothetically:

A wizard's ability to cast spells will not be significantly improved by six fully articulated, razor-edged tentacles (each capable of wielding a Large bastard sword) protruding from his back and shoulders.

A barbarian's ability to hack things into very small bits, on the other hand...
However, he will look damn awesome while he hacks things into bits and casts Spells of Doom and Destruction(tm). Just saying. :smallwink:

Really, sometimes, you just need to grow some tentacles. For the awesome. Not for a good reason mind you, just for the sheer, balls-to-the-wall, awesome of it all.

At least, that's how I live my life. :smallbiggrin:

-argus

TerrickTerran
2008-10-28, 07:36 PM
One other way of getting Heal is to play a Glimmerskin (I think that's the name) Halfling variant from DragonMagic. Gets Heal as a class skill no matter what.

sonofzeal
2008-10-28, 09:06 PM
Has anyone ranked the schools of Graftness in terms of usefulness? Some are good, some are mediocre, some are to be avoided, but I haven't found any good guide out there.