PDA

View Full Version : Bad bad bad bad things and players that make you wanna injure furniture

Xero Kunai
2008-10-27, 11:06 PM
Just thought I'd start something and vent about the things that piss me off, dunno if something like this was already made.

(Lol, of course with all of you here there has to be like 400, am I right?)

Like recently, I was running a 3.5 campaign, and one of the players decided he didn't like one of my NPCs, decided not to take on the quest with the rest of the group. I told him he's missing out on the fun and he then accused me of railroading the campaign because I wasn't going to side DM his adventures.. : / He said it was all my fault, criticized my DMing, and left.

And now, trying to get a secondary campaign going, while the other players are gone, and I specifically said I'd prefer just to use the Player's Handbook and such for making a character. it's set in FR..

He wants to start using Warforged characters and other types with classes from books I don't have, in settings that aren't FR, and just general pissing me offness. Though I wasn't the DM, it was still a general consensus that books nobody has, and classes that are not appropriate really shouldn't be used..
Refused the core classes, saying they were too simple for him. Said he refused druid cause the spell lists are too long. Wanted to be clerics of gods that didn't exist in FR. Then accused the classes of being Broken. And left..

This is just pissing me off, I'd prefer to find players.. and generally I could just punt a baby to Stockholm right now.

Any like stories or advice you can give?

golentan
2008-10-27, 11:14 PM
"If it's not in keeping with the desires of the DM and the mood of the other players, you're doing it wrong." He sounds like he wouldn't be out of place in my group (we tend to break at least one thing/PC, just in case, and then whoever's dm that time throws challenges that escalate until you reach TPK), but in your group he's being obnoxious. If he won't quit it long enough to play nice and make a character in line with your campaign, give him Der Boot! Otherwise, you won't be happy, he won't be happy, and the other players sure as heck won't be happy.

My two cents, though with the rate of exchange I'd bet it's only worth a quarter penny.

UserClone
2008-10-28, 04:52 PM
I understand your frustration, but I am kind of personally offended that you use the metaphor of hurting a small child in the title of your post. I have had a thread locked for less. Just saying be careful how you say things here.

Pie Guy
2008-10-28, 05:05 PM
Once a person I was playing with decided that the fastest course of action to a point was just to randomly trip an npc that I JUST CHARMED! He reasoned that he didn't hear. He was sitting closer to the DM than I was.
just... just...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snoopy13a
2008-10-28, 05:34 PM
Like recently, I was running a 3.5 campaign, and one of the players decided he didn't like one of my NPCs, decided not to take on the quest with the rest of the group. I told him he's missing out on the fun and he then accused me of railroading the campaign because I wasn't going to side DM his adventures.. : / He said it was all my fault, criticized my DMing, and left.

And now, trying to get a secondary campaign going, while the other players are gone, and I specifically said I'd prefer just to use the Player's Handbook and such for making a character. it's set in FR..

He wants to start using Warforged characters and other types with classes from books I don't have, in settings that aren't FR, and just general pissing me offness. Though I wasn't the DM, it was still a general consensus that books nobody has, and classes that are not appropriate really shouldn't be used..
Refused the core classes, saying they were too simple for him. Said he refused druid cause the spell lists are too long. Wanted to be clerics of gods that didn't exist in FR. Then accused the classes of being Broken. And left..

Why did you let him back for a secondary campaign? Once he left the first time, you should have written him off for good.

littlechicory
2008-10-28, 08:16 PM

This is just pissing me off, I'd prefer to find players.. and generally I could just punt a baby to Stockholm right now.

Any like stories or advice you can give?

Advice: My friends have found a few of the following lines helpful when dealing with players who want to use alternate sourcebooks, retcon their characters' deaths, etc.

"Well, either you play by the rules or you don't play at all, and if you're not playing, then you can go home early."

"Nobody else seems to have a problem with it."

"Fine, your character wakes up on the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance..."

"What part of 'player's handbook races and classes only' didn't you hear? I thought I'd made that part clear enough to everybody. Did anyone else not hear me when I said 'player's handbook and classes only'?"

"Okay, but from now on your old character is an NPC. Roll a new one."

More often, though, idiot players are punished in-character by their fellows, using logical consequences. A warforged in the wrong setting gets attacked by a rust monster the moment he/it goes off on his/its own. A cleric who worships the wrong gods gets denounced as a demon and killed by the servants of an in-setting deity. A melee fighter who insists on not wearing armor gets eaten by a chimera.

Dogmantra
2008-10-28, 08:21 PM
If you ban X (X being a race, class, splatbook, whatever) and a player writes X somewhere on their sheet, just say "Oh, looks like you forgot to put a race/class/whatever down" or in the case of multiclassing to X, just tell them that they're missing a few levels. If they still don't concede, just ignore it.

EDIT: "It" being the thing you banned, don't give them any of the advantages/disadvantages, don't even acknowledge the fact that they have the banned thing.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-28, 08:42 PM
I understand your frustration, but I am kind of personally offended that you use the metaphor of hurting a small child in the title of your post. I have had a thread locked for less. Just saying be careful how you say things here.

Go go Kiddyglove Rangers!

The gloves are made from real kids, by the way.

UserClone
2008-10-28, 08:44 PM
I got a thread locked because it said that bards were gay. As in merry. As a former abused child, I take offense to the concept of hurting children just because you are annoyed. Just saying...

To keep it on topic, it bugs me when a DM will ONLY allow WoTC sourcebooks for PCs, but then runs a module written by Mongoose (of all companies) and then slaughters your character with a claw-claw-bite full attack from a zombie brown bear. A ZOMBIE brown bear. "Hey, that's the way the statblock is written in the module."
BUH?!

Hal
2008-10-28, 09:11 PM
I think it's okay to ask your DM if he'll allow class/feat/sourcebook X, but don't be a jerk about it. I've had my share of books burn a hole on my book shelf.

Waspinator
2008-10-28, 09:35 PM
In situations like this, here's a deal I like: you want to use X from book Y? Well, I don't have Y. How about you loan it to me, let me read up on the relevant parts, and next session I'll give you the decision?

About Warforged specifically, now that's just stupid though. Warforged are fairly specific to the Eberron setting and it would require a fairly creative backstory to explain one. Also, one thing that I believe is entirely within the jurisdiction of the DM when it comes to character backstories and traits is race. Simply put, while it's not too hard to come up with explanations of being a self-taught innovator or whatever to explain some new class or feat, it's much harder to insert an entirely new species into a setting without someone wondering why they were never mentioned before.

valadil
2008-10-28, 09:48 PM
I'm okay with players arguing over rules. I really am. But the setting is up to the GM. If they don't want something to exist in their world, it doesn't exist. Putting that thing on your character sheet anyway is just dumb.

My current aggravation is players not putting any effort into the game. I'm trying to do a big political game with courtly intrigue and all that. I expect backstory, but I also expect to be disappointed. One of the players won't even tell me what he's interested in playing. He just keeps ignoring my emails and I'm not sure what to do about it.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-28, 09:48 PM
In situations like this, here's a deal I like: you want to use X from book Y? Well, I don't have Y. How about you loan it to me, let me read up on the relevant parts, and next session I'll give you the decision?

About Warforged specifically, now that's just stupid though. Warforged are fairly specific to the Eberron setting and it would require a fairly creative backstory to explain one. Also, one thing that I believe is entirely within the jurisdiction of the DM when it comes to character backstories and traits is race. Simply put, while it's not too hard to come up with explanations of being a self-taught innovator or whatever to explain some new class or feat, it's much harder to insert an entirely new species into a setting without someone wondering why they were never mentioned before.

Aren't they presented as generic monsters/character race in....MMIII, is it?

FMArthur
2008-10-28, 09:57 PM
I've allowed Warforged in campaigns with no specific setting (which has been always), but if it were actually in a predefined world that quite clearly does not have certain races/classes/feats/etc, then they don't exist and that includes players. My, what a controlling DM I must be, to think of excluding like 10 options out of hundreds. :smallfrown:

theMycon
2008-10-28, 10:15 PM
I'd suggest editing the title to remove the R-word and the mention of violence before a mod sees this. I'm chiming in on the "had a thread closed for less" train.

Also...
So we have a DMPC who we're told, flat out, "it'd be a pretty even fight between your whole party and him." While the DM, being none-too-bright and incapable of making a character with a steady personality, we're getting vibes that he's far more evil than what we're fighting and only on our side because it makes the plot work.

The party cleric gets a macguffin-of-unimaginable power to "hold on to" for a while. Despite trying everything, while rolling unimaginably lucky, and pouring about a half-dozen "RAW should have worked no questions asked" resources into it, all he got was "it's important", "it's powerful", and "Why, yes, every single named NPC does know exactly what it is and does, and no, no-one's going to tell you."

So... He (the player) makes an angry face, holds for a second, sighs, and smiles. Then, he (the character) takes the DMPC aside, hands him the mysterious artifact, and says "you're stronger, you can take care of this better." Then walks away, back to the party, leaving the (implied) big evil of the game, with the artifact MacGuffin, alone, free of charge. Player says he's "just happy to be gone with it."

Starsinger
2008-10-28, 10:22 PM
I got a thread locked because it said that bards were gay. As in merry. !
If it helps my first D&D character ever was a bard that was gay. As in he kissed other boys.

JeminiZero
2008-10-28, 10:28 PM
About Warforged specifically, now that's just stupid though. Warforged are fairly specific to the Eberron setting and it would require a fairly creative backstory to explain one.

it's much harder to insert an entirely new species into a setting without someone wondering why they were never mentioned before.

I would disagree. The question of an entirely new Species only arises in situations where reproduction is necessary to explain origin. Warforged are different in that they are always 'made' rather than 'born'. Which means in settings where Warforged are not a recognized species, a PC warforged was simply made by a wizard. (Indeed, that is also an acceptable explanation even in settings where warforged are prevalent anyway).

After all, wizards already bind undead, elementals, golems and eventually solars to their will. Its not too much of a stretch to imagine a rather innovative Wizard creating an awakened semi-living golem as an experimental servant (and then dying in a convenient explosion thereafter). :smallbiggrin:

Randel
2008-10-28, 11:23 PM
Player: If its okay with you, I would like to play as a warforged. His backstory is that he was created by a kindly old carpenter who built him to be a life-sized articulated wooden soldier meant to display the armor in a blacksmiths shop. After laboring over the designs and carving him to look like a great warrior, the old carpenter begins to regret that he has no children. After finishing his work, the old man sees a shooting star in the sky and wishes that he had a son as good as the wooden soldier he had carved.

DM: Okay, we are playing Forgotten Realms in case you didn't hear me. So if you're going to say that a blue fairy came and...

Player: That night Elminster visited the old mans house and brought the wooden soldier to life... because he thought it would be funny.

DM: ...

Player: And if its okay with you may I can take a flaw? If he ever lies then his nose grows really long.

Kizara
2008-10-28, 11:34 PM
Player: If its okay with you, I would like to play as a warforged. His backstory is that he was created by a kindly old carpenter who built him to be a life-sized articulated wooden soldier meant to display the armor in a blacksmiths shop. After laboring over the designs and carving him to look like a great warrior, the old carpenter begins to regret that he has no children. After finishing his work, the old man sees a shooting star in the sky and wishes that he had a son as good as the wooden soldier he had carved.

DM: Okay, we are playing Forgotten Realms in case you didn't hear me. So if you're going to say that a blue fairy came and...

Player: That night Elminster visited the old mans house and brought the wooden soldier to life... because he thought it would be funny.

Player: And if its okay with you may I can take a flaw? If he ever lies then his nose grows really long.

10 points for awesomeness for managing to be both pretty lame and rather witty at the same time.

BobVosh
2008-10-28, 11:50 PM
Elminster: One of the biggest fairies every.

My greatest annoyance is when you are at one of those "pray to the gods/drink from the magic well that noone thinks to put this water into a bottle or doesn't work outside of here/whatever" some one gets crazy awesome power, everyone else gets decent, and one person gets "wtf who would even consider this a blessing?"

Alternative: macguffin that dm assures is good, but sucks for every way, shape, and form.

ocato
2008-10-29, 12:08 AM
I have to agree that as far as races go, Warforged are pretty easy to integrate into a campaign world, even/especially if it is just the one.

Kris Strife
2008-10-29, 01:22 AM
Frankly it is up to the DM to both create the setting and, more important IMO, ensure everyone has fun. At least see if he can come up for a reason why and if its good/entertaining enough, go for it.

On a side note I DMed a campaign were the party sorcerer was played by an idiot... The monk had a sap and everyone took turns knocking said sourcerer uncouncious... repeatedly.

aboyd
2008-10-29, 01:53 AM
My current aggravation is players not putting any effort into the game. I'm trying to do a big political game with courtly intrigue and all that. I expect backstory, but I also expect to be disappointed. One of the players won't even tell me what he's interested in playing. He just keeps ignoring my emails and I'm not sure what to do about it.
I'm sure you already have it under control, so this is more general advice for others....

Reward apathy towards your game with apathy towards his character. I don't even mean that in a punitive "I'm mad at you so I'm punishing you" way. I mean that you should invest your time in the players who invest their time. That's the only healthy/sane way to get some enjoyment out of the game. If you bang your head against a wall over some player who doesn't care, your head will hurt and the player still won't care.

Have some players written up backstory? Is there a beneficial way to tie that into the plot? As in, perhaps a player has a few useful contacts? Maybe a hookup for cheap equipment? Maybe a political favor? Maybe a bonus of some kind? Keep the rewards very minor, but still an obvious "positive consequence" of participation. If other players don't come on board, don't push them. They may be fine to forgo benefits if it means they don't have to do anything but show up. If that's their choice, either let them, or give them the boot. But don't hand-hold, you know?

Brock Samson
2008-10-29, 03:51 AM
I'm a player, not a GM, but I'm going to air my grievences here anyway. I cannot stand when a GM won't allow any deviation from their prescribed plot. I understand that their has to be some plot so the story moves forward, however when you are left with virtually no options but do everything that your oh-so-important NPC's tell you to do, not allowing for any variations, creativitiy, or side-tracking, you are not allowing your players to participate in anything BUT combat. You, as a player, might as well sit back and just let the NPC's "plot" your entire journey.

kamikasei
2008-10-29, 04:38 AM
OP: If he doesn't want to play in the game you're running, he doesn't have to. Nor do you have to invite him back. Simple as that.

I got a thread locked because it said that bards were gay. As in merry.

...Why do you imagine this is something to boast of?

Thurbane
2008-10-29, 05:13 AM
...Why do you imagine this is something to boast of?
I don't know about boasting, sounds more like he is bemoaning the injustice of it all...

kamikasei
2008-10-29, 05:16 AM
I don't know about boasting, sounds more like he is bemoaning the injustice of it all...

Oh, I may be misreading and he's saying that a thread of his was locked rather than that he got the mods to lock someone else's thread. If that's so then I apologize.

Irreverent Fool
2008-10-29, 05:35 AM
I would never hurt a child. Not a human one, anyway. Well... unless I had a time machine to go back and rough up my friend a bit.

My girlfriend had joined our gaming groups and it was generally agreed that she was a fine player (though she didn't know all the rules but what new player does). No problems. Well, one of our campaigns drew to a close and she suggested running a campaign herself. We were wary at first, but looked forward to having our regular DMs join everyone (obviously our alternating DMs never got a chance to play together).

She revealed she had a pretty elaborate world with a good history already drawn up and said that since she was a still new to the rules, she'd like to limit the players to the core rules only. We're not really much for optimization in the group, so the concept of plying such terrible classes as monk and fighter doesn't really turn our stomachs.

Well, we had about three weeks before the game. Most of us had already come up with character concepts and most of us seemed glad to not have to pore over tons of books to find the good stuff. We ended up focusing more on the characters themselves. Come game day, we're all ready. Except for one. No big deal. Roll up your character now. We have a fighter, monk, wizard, and sorcerer. You want to play a healer? We could use one, but it's no big deal if you don't want to. Did you hear Sledge's (the fighter) backstory? You could be that childhood friend.

I want to play a Duskblade and then PrC into...

Oh, we're just doing core-only because she's not too familiar with the rules.

What? Core-only is lame. There's no options. If I'd have known it was going to be core-only I wouldn't have bothered even coming down here...

He proceeded to complain for the next several minutes. There was an awkward silence for a few minutes. Then we got over it and invited someone else to take his spot. Her game has proven to be the most fun we've had in a long time. We don't talk about character builds or when we'll get the next cool ability. We roleplay. We talk about how we're going to stop the lich or the cultists, or what happened to Brie - the trade city that just up and disappeared.

It is satisfying when we have to end on a cliffhanger and tell this guy at some point "Oh, don't bother coming down on Sunday. We're doing her game again this week."

Oh and for the record, I don't see how saying that bards are gay is any worse than saying that sorcerers are heterosexual.

obnoxious
sig

Tormsskull
2008-10-29, 05:55 AM

I never thought this day would come. I agree with Tengu.

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-29, 06:18 AM
By the way, Irreverent Fool, your not-quite-a-sig sig has succeeded in annoying me to no end. Congrats. :smallbiggrin:

only1doug
2008-10-29, 06:37 AM
By the way, Irreverent Fool, your not-quite-a-sig sig has succeeded in annoying me to no end. Congrats. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, he's doing it to make a point. EE's irritated him and now he's spreading the joy.

Infectious
sig

horseboy
2008-10-29, 12:41 PM

Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you referring to how "kid gloves" are actually made out of the skin of baby goats, also known as "kids" or are you claiming you have children in your basement you say "It rubs the lotion on it's skin," to?

RPGuru1331
2008-10-29, 12:43 PM
Oh, I may be misreading and he's saying that a thread of his was locked rather than that he got the mods to lock someone else's thread. If that's so then I apologize.
Well, according to the Search function, he had his thread killed, but his tone was more "I'll report you" so...

Blackfang108
2008-10-29, 12:57 PM
Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you referring to how "kid gloves" are actually made out of the skin of baby goats, also known as "kids" or are you claiming you have children in your basement you say "It rubs the lotion on it's skin," to?

I'm guessing the second option.

And, there are people who aren't annoyed by EE?

Shenanigans.

Laurellien
2008-10-29, 01:05 PM

I sincerely doubt it.

Vortling
2008-10-29, 01:12 PM
I'm guessing the second option.

Shenanigans.

I'm sure there's a few somewhere.

On topic: The only thing I've ever had a player do that annoyed me was "correcting" my usage of a rule and then being unable to even tell me where the rule was beyond "in the DMG somewhere". When I found the rule it turned out to be an optional sidebar rule. Thank goodness I didn't look it up during the game.

cenghiz
2008-10-29, 02:44 PM
I remember a game where I was playing a simple cleric, a coward one at that. I was a healbot who used a crossbow frequently. Other members were a sorcerer, a rogue, a barbarian and *dun du dunn* a paladin. Sadly we were all neutral, especially chaotic neutral except the paladin, who insisted playing the class.

I know why all D&D'ers hate paladins. How?

Paladin: CHARGE!!!
Me: What?! These are goblin elders. The DM mentioned all goblins are chaotic, but not evil. Why don't you detect evil first?
Paladin: Then the surprise round will pass.
He kills a goblin before we can react, then feels darkness gnawing on his heart. He has killed a warband who didn't ever do evil. They were simple hunters and mushroom-farmers, fairly disturbed of the necromancer we were after.
Paladin: So... we revert?
Yes, we did revert.

Social interaction. The tavern maid knows something about the necromancer, but is afraid to tell.
Me: I place my palm on her hand. I sa...
Paladin: You're a cleric. You should be pure. You're playing it wrong.
Me: Err.. I'm a cleric of Mask. My god steals from me during divine interventions. I'm not even good. And even if I were good, I'm not a christian priest. I didn't read anything about a 'vow of chastity' for clerics.
DM: You're playing it wrong..
Me: What?!
DM: Your palm should be on her thigh, not her palm.
We laugh for a few minutes and forget.

Rogue: What is this powder, DM?
DM: Roll craft alchemy. Untrained, -4..
Rogue: 19? Does it?
DM: Let's say it does. This substance is known as 'trollnip'.. Trolls love its taste and scent and it knocks out a troll easily. You probably have enough for a single dose.
Paladin: I snatch the bag and pour it to the ground.
Rogue: Hey why?
Paladin: I'm a paladin. I'm against using poisons.
Rogue: But how do you know?
*revert*

After killing the necromancer, we hear about an adventuring group gone missing in the woods. We wouldn't bother, until we hear the group's fighter had a flaming sword worth a lot. On our way, the rogue observes a group of Drow heading towards a cave.
Paladin: After I hear the word 'Drow', I say a quick prayer for my god and charge.
DM: Uh.. There were fifteen Drows, well armed.
Paladin: My god will protect me.
Dm: All right. What do you others do?
Rogue: I climb at the tallest tree I can find. Maybe I can see.
Barbarian: Where was the cave?
DM: To northwest.
Barbarian: We need to spend the night around here. *rolls survival* I seek a good spot for camping to southeast.
Sorcerer: I follow the barbarian. I don't want to be alone.
Me: Everybody gone? I whisper thanks to Mask and start rummaging Paladin's possessions as soon as he leaves sight. I'll take anything I can quickly find, then follow Barbarian.
Rogue: Everyone's going? Then I won't climb. I follow.
Paladin: Hey, we're charging! They're evil!
All of us: No.. You're charging. We're camping.
He insisted on charging alone, he and DM moved to another table. Soon his sheet was taken by the DM. We didn't even investigate the cave. We headed back and reported, starting a strategic battle episode of the campaign.

And about a two weeks later the campaign has ended - we were uni students. We played every day. At the beginning of the new campaign, something about desert nomads and sand dragons, Paladin came back with a rolled up sheet; another paladin. He was kindly rejected.

Later, we often crossed paths with the paladin and... He didn't change much. Only his paladin characters changed: blackguards in evil campaigns, officers in Call of Cthulhu, goliath nobles in my own system, in time. He played all of them the same. Thankfully he didn't manage to ruin anything for us because our DMs were strict and authoritive. Reject problem players when applicable, because it's better to let the remaining group have fun instead of obeying a single problem player.
infectious,
sig.

UserClone
2008-10-29, 03:06 PM
Yes, my unintentionally ambiguous statement was intended to convey that MY thread was locked simply for the title "If All Bards are Gay...", and I don't plan to report this one personally, because I don't think the OP meant anything by it, but it is nonetheless offensive, and I do respectfully request that it be changed. That having been said, I do not plan to get all worked up over it if he chooses to ignore that request. This is clearer, I hope?

Kris Strife
2008-10-29, 03:43 PM
Actually, I dont mind paladins, just badly played ones. Okay, yes, Int is likely to be your dump stat, since other than skill points, it doesnt affect you. So you have trouble with algebra, big whoop. You should have decent Wis and high Cha stats though. Which means Paladins should be played as likeable, commonsense defenders of good, not 'detect evil/smite evil/charge the dragon alone' stereotypes.
Be Hinjo or O-Chul, not Miko.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-29, 04:04 PM

It's legal in Poland.

UserClone
2008-10-29, 04:12 PM
It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin Or Else It Gets The Hose Again!

Worira
2008-10-29, 06:45 PM
As a retarded baby, I'm highly offended by this topic!

Thurbane
2008-10-29, 08:46 PM
I sincerely doubt it.
Actually, I usually agree with a lot of EE's points, if not always how he expresses them...:smallredface:

Kizara
2008-10-29, 11:54 PM
Actually, I usually agree with a lot of EE's points, if not always how he expresses them...:smallredface:

I know what you mean, I occasionally get through a post of his and find myself a bit embarrassed that I have a similar viewpoint. Or he comes in/highjacks a thread of mine much to the same problem.

Xero Kunai
2008-10-30, 01:25 AM
I have officially changed the title of this thread. Enjoy!

JeminiZero
2008-10-30, 02:35 AM
I know what you mean, I occasionally get through a post of his and find myself a bit embarrassed that I have a similar viewpoint.

So its bit like :belkar: and :roy: then. His approval fills you with shame. :smalltongue:

BobVosh
2008-10-30, 02:42 AM
I have officially changed the title of this thread. Enjoy!

Sellout.

Stupid minimum length requirements. How I curse at thee, most dreaded of things. **ALERT CITIZEN**, your clearence level was not high enough to read this message. Please report to the nearest termination center to correct this error.

Laurellien
2008-10-30, 07:20 AM

But my point was about whether he can be irritating, not about whether he can be right.

littlechicory
2008-10-30, 09:43 AM

This fails so hard that it wins. *ROFL, BRB*

TRM
2008-10-30, 09:44 AM
But my point was about whether he can be irritating, not about whether he can be right.
Anyone that claims EE is always wrong is incorrect.

On topic: All my players are idiots. That's why I haven't actually played D&D in several months.

It's legal in Poland.
Hot damn! *moves to Poland* :smalltongue:

DigoDragon
2008-10-30, 09:48 AM
Be Hinjo or O-Chul, not Miko.

I think this is an excellent way to describe how to play Paladins. **applauds** :smallbiggrin:

As for the topic of things that players do that make you stub your toe against the couch I would say it was the old issue of having two players that always insisted on bringing their Star Trek Jedi characters into my game world as demigods to worship just for the sole purpose of annoying each other. Yeah, that put a few dents in my couch. :smallamused:

only1doug
2008-10-30, 10:14 AM
The player who insisted that his character (in whatever game system) had to be called "Bertie Banana"

"no, he can't be named Bertie Banana, Banana isn't a surname, it's a fruit!"

Jack Zander
2008-10-30, 10:25 AM
EE's sig doesn't annoy me and neither does his arguments. What annoys me are people who try to argue with EE and either don't bring up valid points, try to argue the same exact thing over and over again, or don't actually address his question/post.

Though most of them probably just didn't understand what he was saying to them.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-30, 10:30 AM
That is rather silly, but fantasy names do tend to run to that. At least the first name is real.
I am no DM, but for a genre that has characters called Drizzt Do'Urden, having a character with fruit for a lastname is hardly baby killing/furniture breaking material.

only1doug
2008-10-30, 10:53 AM
and we let him call his character that, for 4 different games. after a while it just becomes dull.

monty
2008-10-30, 10:57 AM
Star Trek Jedi

Wait, what? Unless that was a mistake, I'd like to hear the justification.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-30, 11:28 AM
Wait, what? Unless that was a mistake, I'd like to hear the justification.
That makes at least two of us.

hamishspence
2008-10-30, 11:35 AM
Star trek has numerous psionic races, Jedi is a moral philosophy, do an alien culture whose philosophy happens to coincide with Jedi and whose psionic powers approximate The Force and you're set.

Hzurr
2008-10-30, 12:52 PM
Star trek has numerous psionic races, Jedi is a moral philosophy, do an alien culture whose philosophy happens to coincide with Jedi and whose psionic powers approximate The Force and you're set.

Except for the whole "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." part.

I mean, if there wasn't the "long time ago" part, and if it was a galaxy that was only far away, rather than far far away, I guess I could see it.

On a similar note: Klingons fighting Rancors. Discuss.

hamishspence
2008-10-30, 02:05 PM
High coolness, if you think Vs matches between your favorite creatures/characters are a good thing.

Nodwick in Dragon parodies the lengths this could go- Ninja Pirates in ship, mounted on huge Dinosaur, vs Titan- mounted Submarine staffed by Cannibal Vikings.

EDIT:
Jedi-wise, they're not actually Jedi, just Beings with the same name and powers :smallbiggrin:

I might be a little sniffy, or allow it just for a laugh, depending how convincing argument was.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-30, 02:33 PM
During the summer, all my regular D&D players were unavailable for games, and my laptop's charger had died, so I decided to start up a game.

Out of the six players I had, five were WoW-heads, and the sixth was the mother of the youngest WoW-head.

The four older WoW-heads only showed up for the first session. They all made characters with usernames as their names. Three of their characters had red eyes, while the fourth had white. The youngest WoW-head thought that the gold-to-silver-to-copper ratio was "stupid" for being in increments of ten instead of one hundred.

The vast majority of the following sessions consisted of the WoW-head's mom trying to rope other family members into playing while her kid shuffled off to play WoW in the corner.

Irreverent Fool
2008-10-30, 03:50 PM
*snip*

The poison thing... yeah. Another of my friends I game with has serious problems keeping player and character knowledge separate. He's a great roleplayer aside from this and usually has some wonderful character concepts. However... in the campaign we are playing now, the world is just beginning to use black powder. The characters have encountered cannons but really have no idea how they work without magic. Our party recently routed a mad gnome artificer and he had been throwing little bombs at us. Our characters inspected his lab and found a number of odd alchemical mixtures. My friend -- the fighter, Sledge -- immediately assumes the black powder is the source of the explosions and suggests we gather as much as possible. My character -- the wizard, Melriach -- assumes the fighter knows what he's talking about since the fighter is a member of the Guardians of Sambria - the local knight order.

In fact, Sledge has never been close enough to a cannon to see how they work. The DM has a trick up her sleeve which I happen to be privy to though. The gold-colored powder we also gathered is actually the explosive. The black powder doesn't burn quickly enough to explode and was a side project the gnome was working on. My character doesn't know this yet, but our halfling rogue recently thanked the party wizard with a bag of his gold dust from the same event, so maybe I'll get a chance for him to figure it out.

obnoxious
sig

Texas Jedi
2008-10-30, 04:00 PM
One of my favorite turns as a DM had a group of about 5-6 14-18 level parties fighting Mind Flayers and ending up on one of their planar disks. (This is a 2nd DnD campaign).

Well we had a really good group that grew from 4 people (wife, little brother, and two friends) to 6 people (the friends girlfriends were added). Well one day we had a guest come in that was friends of the friend. He played DnD a whole lot over the years.

Well he created a character quite quickly and created a wizard. I didn't have a problem with him until he started to play.

Well he didn't really give a backstory on why his character was a vampire and on a Mind Flayer planar disc. Well the party had just finished off an Alhoun (sp?) and it had a staff of the flayer. That Staff was a cursed item to any non mind flayer. If you failed a save vs. spell you were compelled to give the staff to the nearest mind flayer. Well without even checking the item he picks it up and fails his save. I had a controlling NPC Ranger that was a hunter of Mind Flayers. She recognized the staff as a major artifact and proptly cuts the wizard's hand off. This started the new guy off to complaining. I told him bluntly that the staff was being held by Mind Flayer lich and even looked like a long thin Mind Flayer. He still complained and complained so I gave him a favor. The NPC had a item in her hand (think lensmen) that was going to be part of a bigger campaign. She used a power to regenerate his hand.

Well the party rested for the night. The wizard then cast a spell to locate another powerful artifact like the staff. Well it locked on to the item that the group was going after. Without thinking it out or even telling the rest of the group he cast a teleport to the item.

At that point I tried to warn him against it but he wouldn't listen. I had to go into another room to make sure the later part of the story wasn't given away. Once he teleported into the room with the artifact. Well I had him roll a save vs. spell and he failed. He then got overwhelmed by a powerful mind. He then had to save vs. breath weapon. He failed and took over 120 points of acid damage lets just say he was a bubbling puddle of organic goo. He got pissed and I told him what did he think that such a powerful artifact was just waiting unguarded. It was guarded by a giant Mind Flayer Larvea that had grown to dragon sized. He then said some things insulting my DM'ing and I then told him to cool down. He wouldn't and I proptly kicked him out of the game and he was never invited back.

Dyvim Matt
2008-10-31, 01:19 PM
Things that annoy me:

1) A player who totally disregards the setting, as in the Warforged-in-FR example given previously (too lazy to verify the exact term, and I don't play DnD). My experiences have to do with people who want to play ninjas and kung-fu masters in 10th century Britain, for instance. Do they want to play a European assassin? No, it has to be a Japanese ninja... And how did the ninja end up in Britain? Well, any time I asked, I would always get the same answer: "Well, he walked, of course!" This is no joke. I have had a lot of players who wanted to play ninjas who would just wake up one morning and decide to travel on foot to European countries even though they never heard of Europe in the first place! (Because world lore skills are not "ninja skills" of course...) The reverse (like a viking in Medieval Japan) would make me react the same way, but my games are always in Europe-style settings.

2) I am not strict at all when it comes to OOC jokes and comments because RPG sessions are a social thing. I even do that kind of thing very often. But if I show up with a scenario, my players know I've invested time and energy in it. I have played with groups that knew this but would not be bothered to play. For instance, I ran a lot of Sabbat campaigns in Vampire the Masquerade, with lots of political machinations and a high level of intrigue. One group back in college asked me to run just such a campaign for them, but would only spend what little time they devoted to the game hunting and slaughtering homeless people (in game of course!) After four sessions of reminding them that there's a scenario they might want to play, even penalyzing them for their actions (not a lot of blood to suck from someone you made bleed to death, right?) I dropped out of the whole group... I know others may disagree, but in my book, Sabbat games should not just be about bad taste and wanton violence (except perhaps when invading Camarilla cities:smallwink:)

3) People who antagonize other PCs for the sake of "roleplay". I make it obvious that I accept disagreements, arguments, etc. but I have zero tolerance for outright betrayal, killing/stealing from other PCs, etc. This has nothing to do with railroading. It's just no fun for the victim, and if the players want to play together, it's only common sense that the characters should try to work together at least a little bit. Also, I provide enough bad guys for the evil characters to perform evil deeds on, that said evil characters don't need to torture other PCs. On top of that, we all know there's no way you can "win" at an RPG, so what's the point?!?

(/rant)

LotharBot
2008-10-31, 01:55 PM
Speaking of problem players:

1) our group is politically, religiously, and ideologically diverse. The rest of us have learned to show each other respect and not to try to argue about how religion X or political thing Y sucks. We may occasionally voice calm disagreement, but even that is pretty rare. About twice a night, though, our newest player (married to one of the older players) will make some disparaging comment about a religion that some of our group practices, or a political party/policy some of our group supports. I plan to talk to her about this in private before next session (which, unfortunately, is the day after the election... might not be a good time!)

2) the same player has severe ADD. For the first month or so, she'd walk out and make dessert in the middle of a fight. We have since corrected the issue -- we've learned to be firm and say "wait until the fight is done."

3) in a game a while back, we had a player come for one session who thought he was there to impress us, so he made up all sorts of bogus tales about the things he did when he was supposedly the chief doctor on a nuclear submarine in the Navy. Like playing football in the bomb bay, or giving people painful shots just because they pissed him off, or launching people's records out the torpedo tubes. The eye-rolling from our player most familiar with military technology wasn't enough to dissuade him. (I recently ran into someone with a similar personality at my aviation-related job. He was trying to tell me about barrel rolling a piper cub, and how a friend of his flew an SR-71 blackbird next to his piper cub, and other such nonsense that anyone with an aviation background would've laughed at.)

Thus far, I've been lucky -- #3 only came for one session, #1/2 has shown the ability to learn, and the rest of my players are way awesome.

Blackfang108
2008-10-31, 02:00 PM
2) the same player has severe ADD. For the first month or so, she'd walk out and make dessert in the middle of a fight. We have since corrected the issue -- we've learned to be firm and say "wait until the fight is done."

I learned to leave my Dice exactly as needed for the next attack roll, and stand outside the window while smoking.

Me: I use ... um... Wolf Pack Tactics, "john" you shift, "Bill" you roll.
"John": moves to give me flanking
"Bill": rolls 1d20 and 1d10. Does a 25 hit?
DM: No.
Me: Don't forget the +1 from Lead the Attack!
"Bill": 26, then?
DM: Yes... Kevin, Get back in here!
Me: One second!

Dyvim Matt
2008-10-31, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Blackfang108;5205643]I learned to leave my Dice exactly as needed for the next attack roll, and stand outside the window while smoking.
QUOTE]

Me and most of my players are smokers, but instead of smoke breaks, I play scenes that I know won't involve rolling dice while we go out to smoke. If dice are really needed during the roleplay scene/smoke break we'll wait, but we try to avoid it. It also makes for a nice immersion factor. Getting out of a building usually means we get out of the house for a smoke, and come back in if we enter another building.

Blackfang108
2008-10-31, 03:28 PM
Me and most of my players are smokers, but instead of smoke breaks, I play scenes that I know won't involve rolling dice while we go out to smoke. If dice are really needed during the roleplay scene/smoke break we'll wait, but we try to avoid it. It also makes for a nice immersion factor. Getting out of a building usually means we get out of the house for a smoke, and come back in if we enter another building.

I'm the only one in our main group that smokes, though one of our "sometimes" players does as well.

I'm actually outside their open door keeping an eye on the table and shouting what I'm doing when it's my turn.

Thank god it's roof access and not street access. I'd look ridiculous.