PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Plot Hooks / Adventure Ideas

kkortekaas
2008-10-28, 07:50 AM
Hey Folks,
My group will commence playing in my Stargate RPG game soon and I'm having a bit of a writers block for mission ideas. My problem stems from this: While I can send them blindly through the gate, I don't know how to introduce a baddy (or group of) when they arrive.

Information:

- My players will be SG-4, and exploration team similar to SG-1.

- The events of the campaign will likely occur mid season 1 possibly the beginning of season 2.

Some ideas that I've got now...
- Travel to an archipelago on a tropical planet where they meet the locals, essentially head hunters. I want to factor in some sort of G'ould presence (perhaps hidden) but I'm unsure as to how to do this.

- Visit a world that has some ruins on it that can point the team to a planet not on the Abydos cartouche (hence out of the G'ould reach) and encounter members of a G'oulds Jaffa legions (I just don't know which g'ould)

- An ice planet that initial remote survey indicts has an "odd" EM signature about 10 miles from the gate, bust out the snowmobiles for investigation to find a research facility of some sort (but I don't know who it would belong to, or what they would be developing)

If anyone can come up with an other ideas that would be utterly fantastic.

random11
2008-10-28, 08:33 AM
Stargate RPG has a great advantage over other campaigns when it comes to plot hooks and adventure ideas: You are not limited, in ANY way.
Since every world is different, there is no need for a consistent world or culture, and every world can have it's own weather, races, technology etc. You can even change the laws of physics providing you have a decent pseudo-scientific excuse reason.

The lack of limitations also makes it a problem to suggest specific plot hooks, but the good thing is that you can take practically any idea, from any game system and any world setting, and easily fit it to your game.
You can have an adventure of rescuing an elven maiden from a local dragon, a rescue mission from a star-wars style empire, helping a city in an EARTHDAWN world and whatever you can think of.

Krrth
2008-10-28, 09:29 AM
Hey Folks,
My group will commence playing in my Stargate RPG game soon and I'm having a bit of a writers block for mission ideas. My problem stems from this: While I can send them blindly through the gate, I don't know how to introduce a baddy (or group of) when they arrive.

Information:

- My players will be SG-4, and exploration team similar to SG-1.

- The events of the campaign will likely occur mid season 1 possibly the beginning of season 2.

Some ideas that I've got now...
- Travel to an archipelago on a tropical planet where they meet the locals, essentially head hunters. I want to factor in some sort of G'ould presence (perhaps hidden) but I'm unsure as to how to do this.

- Visit a world that has some ruins on it that can point the team to a planet not on the Abydos cartouche (hence out of the G'ould reach) and encounter members of a G'oulds Jaffa legions (I just don't know which g'ould)

- An ice planet that initial remote survey indicts has an "odd" EM signature about 10 miles from the gate, bust out the snowmobiles for investigation to find a research facility of some sort (but I don't know who it would belong to, or what they would be developing)

If anyone can come up with an other ideas that would be utterly fantastic.
Well, I can definatly say I love the random mission/plot/planet generator in the back of the Star Gate book!

One of the ones I generated, but never used, was a medieval world where everyone followed the "Voice of God". Each faction having a differend "God". Throw in various clues, and the players should think that it is a typical Go'uld world. The catch is...it's not. The "Gods" are computers playing wargames.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-28, 04:36 PM
One of the ones I generated, but never used, was a medieval world where everyone followed the "Voice of God". Each faction having a differend "God". Throw in various clues, and the players should think that it is a typical Go'uld world. The catch is...it's not. The "Gods" are computers playing wargames.

They actually did that in an episode of Stargate Atlantis, only it was Sheppard and McKay who were controlling the computers. (They thought they were just playing an Ancient civ game.)

turkishproverb
2008-10-28, 09:01 PM
If you are willing to change the storyline drastically, I have one I've been meaning to use.

Loki is not in fact some sniviling scientist. He is a go'ould infested Asgard no one has been able to detect due to his extensive technical and biological manipulation skills.

BAM! new BBEG, and one the players don't find out about for a while.

Hawriel
2008-10-28, 09:22 PM
The plannet they find has a new scentiant life form in pre space travel tech of kind. However there is a catch with the ecology of the plannet. All life is based on useing a different kind a surgar chain that Humans are not able to digest. Some thing goes wrong with the gate and they are stuck on this planet for awile untill the gate is fixed or access to the gate is restored. Maybe the players do not know about the ecology right off. After all SG teams bring there own food so it may take some time. What food there is on the planet is edible and filling, its just that the human body does not extract nutriance from the food. So they eat and poop like normal but they will get weaker over time due to mal nutrition.

Krrth
2008-10-28, 10:22 PM
They actually did that in an episode of Stargate Atlantis, only it was Sheppard and McKay who were controlling the computers. (They thought they were just playing an Ancient civ game.)
Yeah, I remember that episode. The first thing I thought was "This seems familiar"...

kkortekaas
2008-10-29, 01:48 PM
Anyone else have any ideas?

prufock
2008-10-29, 01:58 PM
What era are you playing in?

I've thought it would be fun to introduce an alien race that takes the persona of another pantheon of deities - the Hindu gods spring to mind. So we'd have:
Egyptian - Goa'uld
Norse - Asgard
Ancients/Ori - Jewish/Christian
Some other race - Hindu
And there were aliens that could be classified as native american spirit/gods as well.

Could be possible to do it with Greek too, though there were a couple of greek god references.

prufock
2008-10-29, 02:00 PM
You could finally meet the Furlings!

vicente408
2008-10-29, 02:33 PM
The Greek gods are much fun, at least if the aliens portraying them at all resembled the personalities of their mythical counterparts.

If there are any female characters, make sure that Zeus hits on them. A playa isn't afraid to cross species boundries... :smallwink:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-29, 02:45 PM
The Greek gods are much fun, at least if the aliens portraying them at all resembled the personalities of their mythical counterparts.

If there are any female characters, make sure that Zeus hits on them. A playa isn't afraid to cross species boundries... :smallwink:Yes and no. I'd make Zeus a geneticist, Hera an old partner of his who now opposes him, Ares and Athena their chief military commanders, Hermes a spokesman who abuses his power and embezzles, Dionysus a psychologist who experiments with drugs on populaces, Poseidon an ally of Hera and Demeter(a scientist working on resource increases, mainly plant), Hades an ally of Zeus working on increasing mineral resources and reducing labor costs through the use of zombies, Persephone is Demeter's former head scientist who defected and now works with Hades and Zeus. Remember, it's not their personalities, it's what the ancient Greeks thought their personalities were from poor information.

ASCIISkull
2008-10-30, 02:49 PM
Some other race - Hindu

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny covers this well, and could give ides for dozens of campaigns.