PDA

View Full Version : Paizo's Prcs finally added (basically a few of 3.5 DMGs)

Starbuck_II
2008-10-28, 10:33 AM
Well, they finally finished the Beta of Prestige class.
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/announcements/betaPrestigeClassesAreNowAvailable&page=1

Now, the changes:
Blackguard dropped possibly going to be a Base class (still being decided).
Archmage also gone.

Assasin is now non-magical.

1) Arcane archer:
She is similar to Soulknife: he can choose each day what enhancement bonuses he gives arrows (from a very small level based list).
Still Elven only.
Death arrow still sucks for DC (20 seriously?)

2) Arcane trickster: Alignment issue (why nonlawful? I never understood that even in 3.5)
Reduced Skill requirements.
New Level 10 Capstone ability.

3) Assassin:
Reduced skill requirements. Still only evil and fluff requirement of killing person.
D8 hp.
No more spells (yes, the word spells in the tale is an error)
Cap Stone ability: Death Attack without studying 3 rounds.

4) Dragon Deciple:
Reduced Skill requirements
Sorcerors must be Dragon spawn (Dragon bloodline but whatever I like my term better)
Now 7/10th Caster Progression.
No longer do you become a dragon: now you just gain Dragom abilities.
And X/day, can use polymorph SubSchool (Form of Dragon I or II respecively based on level).

5) Duelist:
Reduced skill requirement,
You gain bonus in light or no armor.
At 1st level, Precise Strike: add level to damage; but otherwise similar to 5th level 3.5 version.
Parry- Similar to Wall of Blades (ToB manuever in 3.5) mechanics to Parry attacks (attack roll as AC).
Benefits when Critical enemy.

6) Eldritch knight:
D10 HD.
Still 9/10ths Progression.
3 Bonus feats. Counts as Fighter levels for Prereqs (specialization, etc).
When you Crit: get a free spell, no provoke.

7) LoreMaster: unchanged I think.

8) Mystic Theurge:
Reduced Skill requirements
Combine spells: you can use higher level slots to cast spells from the other class's spell list. Like, Wizard can cast Divine power (cleric 4) by using a 5th level arcane spell slot as an example.
Spell Synthesis: Cast both classes spells at same time (must be same casting time). This reduces saves to them by 2 though. Limited to 1/day.

9) Pathfinder Chronicller: Bard as a Prestige class?

10) Shadow Dancer:
1/day Silent image? (WTF?). I mean yes 3.5 DMG had that but really once ever? You couldn't expand it by level?

So what do you think; is Paizo improving? Or is it random coincidence that some classes likeDragon deciple are actually useful now?

Kurald Galain
2008-10-28, 11:03 AM
So what do you think; is Paizo improving? Or is it random coincidence that some classes likeDragon deciple are actually useful now?

7/10 caster progression is not particularly "useful" as compared to most of the prestige classes in CArc / CMage.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-28, 11:25 AM
7/10 caster progression is not particularly "useful" as compared to most of the prestige classes in CArc / CMage.

Compared to 3.5 DMG, I mean.

You gotta admit bonus spell slots versus Progression: Progression wins.

bosssmiley
2008-10-28, 11:34 AM
*crickets*

Colour me unimpressed. Reverse compatibility wins out over "reasons to care about PrCing" so far. :smallsigh:

Will read it over tonight (AFB right now) and critique later. Who knows, I might even post it to the paizo boards.

Temp.
2008-10-28, 11:45 AM
So what do you think; is Paizo improving? Or is it random coincidence that some classes likeDragon deciple are actually useful now? Looking at the Assassin "Fix," I'm going to say it's pure chance. The Dragon Disciple looks to have improved only because it makes more sense to give "+1 Spellcasting level" than it does "+1 Spell slot for you choice of spell level."

The Arcane Archer still has all its crappy 1/day abilities and no spellcasting progression. I would think that if Paizo were learning, both of these would be changed.

Arcane Trickster hasn't changed in any meaningful way. It's become a bit less rigid with its spell and skill requirements, but I don't think either of those were ever a problem.

The revisions killed the Assassin. Death Attack, though its defining ability, always sorta sucked; Spells were the real draw to the class.

Paizo's Dragon Disciple is a must-have filler level for any Sorcerer gish (and there's no reason for any second-level Sorcerer to ever turn it up). Unfortunately, there's still no reason to stick around for level 2. The changes here seem very inelegant.

Duelist is no better than before; there's still nothing for it (a combat class) to do in combat beside "not die until someone makes me roll a saving throw."

Eldritch Knight's power-up might be nice, but the class's problem in Core-only games was always surviving until entry; Paizo did nothing to change that. I don't see it as any more or less appealing with the "fix" than it was before--it still doesn't have unique Gish class features, so it isn't a very desireable end of its own; it still has 9/10 casting and full BAB, so it still makes a good space-filler class for Gish characters.

Mystic Theurge didn't do anything to deal with the real difficulty it faced--entry. Something mirroring a Practiced Spellcaster-ed Ultimate Magus would have been a better fix, IMO.

Pathfinder Chronicler is a Bard with 2 extra skills, no spells and some crappy 1/week abilities. It's a horrible trade-off for anyone. (Even with its easy 2nd-level entry, Level 5 Barbarians at ECL 12 just aren't that scary.) The written Bardic Music thing is kinda neat, though.

The easy 3rd-level entry to Shadowdancer boosts the class, but seems like an ugly fix. The class still sucks, but it's really really easy to get into and take your 1-2 level dip. Still no reason to stick with it after that, though.

Monstrodoom
2008-10-28, 11:46 AM
After 20 levels of progression, bonus spell slots win. :\

I'm going to miss assassin spells, but the bulk of the other changes seem pretty nice. There is now a reason to be an eldritch knight.. or mystic theurge!

LibraryOgre
2008-10-28, 11:54 AM
Hey, Temp? Tell Paizo that.

And I'm going to have to DL this.