PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for party wipes

Shalizar
2008-10-28, 02:58 PM
Well this is an imporant topic for me. When I'm the DM, I roll like a god. I never fumble and rarely ever roll low. So I have been thinking about ideas in order to get the party back to playing instead of just calling it game over. I have been thinking about having the party climb out of hell, this is an idea that i will have a hole to hell always hopen so then people can get out. Also i was thinking about having them meet up with some popular characters in hell to make it a bit interesting, like Dante from Devil May Cry and Kratos from God of War. How does this sound, and also if anyone wants to share ideas, that would be great.

chronoplasm
2008-10-28, 03:21 PM
It started to sound good up until the part where you started bringing in the video game characters. At least change the names of the guys.

Perhaps when the players get out of hell, some demons may hunt them down and try to drag them back?

Zenos
2008-10-28, 03:26 PM
Have them see killed Evil enemies being tortured in ironic hell, for the lolz.

chronoplasm
2008-10-28, 03:56 PM
Have them see killed Evil enemies being tortured in ironic hell, for the lolz.

If you really want to get ironic, have the evil enemies basking in their respective heavens while the good guys are tortured in ironic hell.

Lappy9000
2008-10-28, 04:03 PM
He never said this was a Good party. Were they evil, per chance? That could make things waaaaay more interesting.

AugustNights
2008-10-28, 04:05 PM
Why are they heroes is the best question.

Who have they pissed off? Does this force think hell is too good for them?
Who have they pleased, is this force willing to cough up the diamonds for res-spells?

What deity Judges them? Who gets their soul? Perhaps while arguing the players sneak out of the metaphysical court room. Escape Judgment.

Perhaps a necromancer loots their bodies for experimental spells, and accidentally raises them up as Vampires, ghosts, ghouls, or other playable undead.

Have the party Barter with Devils, that will give them 50 more years, in exchange for a number of 5,000 and one souls delivered to hell. (Fine-Print the and one is the party member that signs.)

Have the party speak with angels, and make them Reborn Saints, proof that good is the way to go. Perhaps the angels will not let the PCs into heaven, they are heroes so they don't go to hell. Infact they must return to earth and right their wrongs.

Have them speak to the very fey, who can offer Reincarnation in a new body there is a new life.

These are all tools I've used to bring players back.

Lappy9000
2008-10-28, 04:27 PM
Why are they heroes is the best question.

Who have they pissed off? Does this force think hell is too good for them?
Who have they pleased, is this force willing to cough up the diamonds for res-spells?

What deity Judges them? Who gets their soul? Perhaps while arguing the players sneak out of the metaphysical court room. Escape Judgment.

Perhaps a necromancer loots their bodies for experimental spells, and accidentally raises them up as Vampires, ghosts, ghouls, or other playable undead.

Have the party Barter with Devils, that will give them 50 more years, in exchange for a number of 5,000 and one souls delivered to hell. (Fine-Print the and one is the party member that signs.)

Have the party speak with angels, and make them Reborn Saints, proof that good is the way to go. Perhaps the angels will not let the PCs into heaven, they are heroes so they don't go to hell. Infact they must return to earth and right their wrongs.

Have them speak to the very fey, who can offer Reincarnation in a new body there is a new life.

These are all tools I've used to bring players back.

Actually some of those may be better than a battle up through the underworld; especially if its a lower-level party. It's difficult to imagine a party of 3rd level adventurers battling balors.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-28, 05:21 PM
Even he (http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/21875.htm) had a hard time getting out of hell. What level are these guys?
Note: I actually haven't read that book (yet?)

Istari
2008-10-28, 05:27 PM
You could have the do play a game/challange against Death to keep their lives.

Pie Guy
2008-10-28, 05:34 PM
You could have the do play a game/challange against Death to keep their lives.

I reccomend twister.

chiasaur11
2008-10-28, 05:37 PM
Even he (http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/21875.htm) had a hard time getting out of hell. What level are these guys?
Note: I actually haven't read that book (yet?)

On the other hand, the Doom guy managed it just fine.

Of course, he is a 12.0 on a one to ten scale of badness.

Icewalker
2008-10-28, 06:09 PM
You could make easier encounters.

Luean
2008-10-29, 09:54 AM
Well, i don't like deus ex machina situations, but sooner or later my players will need help (not just because i roll high, but they have a strange playstyle), so i have some "escape plans".

At the moment I run a campain, where time traveling is involved. There are lots of possibilities there, like getting help from the future. (yeah, i know, kinda cheesy, but if you do it right and not all the time, its not so bad)

On the other hand, i have dream/different world/different dimension (whatever) campaigns prepared.
Like: You are sure you were hit and you saw your friends falling to the ground - dead. But you are all healthy and the monsters are gone
That is the point where they realize, that something is wrong. (they where caught in a dreamworld a few sessions ago and didn't realize it)
Something like that.
Of course, that doesn't fit into every campaign.

Or maybe an evil wizard (or whatever) is playing around with their minds and they aren't really running around. They just think they do, while actually lying in the mad guys laboratory.