PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos?

Admiral Squish
2008-10-28, 04:52 PM
Hey, ladies and gents, I'm here to ask y'all a question about tattoos, if you couldn't guess.

What do you think of tattoos? What is the coolest/most awesome tattoo you've ever seen? Ladies, are they sexy or no? Guys, are they awesome or no? What kind of tattoos would you reccomend for long-term enjoyment? What parts hurt the least? What sort of tattoo would you get?

streakster
2008-10-28, 04:54 PM
As a guy, no. I just don't like them myself. Think they're ugly.
Each to their own, though.

Silence
2008-10-28, 04:57 PM
My dad has Chinese for "Dragon" tattooed right under the back of his neck. Looks pretty badass.

RTGoodman
2008-10-28, 04:57 PM
I don't have any tattoos (I'd love to get one, but I'm too indecisive to get one), but I think they're pretty cool (to a certain point). As long as you don't overdo it (like that Lizard Man they show on TV all the time that has his WHOLE BODY covered), I don't have a problem with it. (EDIT: Except for most of the lower-back tattoos women get nowadays - there are VERY few of those that I've liked.)

Also, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90872)'s from a few months back, but it's probably of interest.

As I said then,

Some designs I've looked at include the White Tree of Gondor (http://www.greenwillowglass.com/images/white_tree_500_BG.gif), the Serenity symbol (http://library.galciv2.com/mvlib/ss/serenity.jpg) from Firefly, or a version of the symbol of the Knights of Solamnia (http://www.knightsofsolamnia.org/koslogo.gif) from the Dragonlance series. There are a few Celtic designs I'd like to, but a lot of them are really common nowadays and I want something that's unique if I've got to have it on me forever.

Beholder1995
2008-10-28, 05:06 PM
Don't tattoos give you some kind of skin affliction or something? Or, like, heighten your chances of getting one?

As for me, I think tattoos can look kinda cool, but I'd never get one, and I try to stray away from people that have them... I've been biased, I guess. Same reason I don't hang out with skateboarders. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2008-10-28, 05:07 PM
Also, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90872)'s from a few months back, but it's probably of interest.

Yeah, you're supposed to start a new thread if the previous one's several months old.

I wouldn't mind having a tattoo... like an Emblem of a pair of wings on the back of my shoulder. 'Twould be awesome.

But I'm pretty focused on the "don't do anything you can't undo" philosophy.

SDF
2008-10-28, 05:14 PM
I've been biased, I guess. Same reason I don't hang out with skateboarders. :smalltongue:

Skateboarders? Pfft, I hang out with convicted felons. Well just one, but he also happens to be an amazing tattoo artist. Basically I can get a great tattoo for free when I want. My friends have some awesome ones from him. One of my friends has Nermal on his arm with the word nuisance under it, and Felix the Cat holding a cartoon bomb on the other. He also has the Torment symbol on his shoulder that looks rad so far, but isn't done yet. My other friend got a molotov cocktail on his hand. Said it was the most painful thing he's ever done, but it looks amazing.

Tattoos can look really awesome, but I HATE cliche tattoos. Wings on the back, tramp stamps, tribals, ect.

But I'm pretty focused on the "don't do anything you can't undo" philosophy.

Isn't that kind of silly though? Life is always in flux, changing from moment to moment. Every second is one more thing you can't undo, unless you never do anything.

Beholder1995
2008-10-28, 05:17 PM
Skateboarders? Pfft, I hang out with convicted felons.

And similarly, in real life I wouldn't hang out with you either. :smallconfused::smalltongue:

*scoots away*

Syka
2008-10-28, 05:45 PM
I'm excited. For my graduation present, my best friend is going to pitch in some money so I can FINALLY get my fox. :smallbiggrin: I've wanted it since I was at least 17 and I've had the design for about a year and a half now. The only thing is to get the money (ie, use my graduation funds; original plan was birthday money since my dad gave me 210 dollars for turning 21, but I had to get a new camera instead) and decided which artist to go to (there are two potential places, both are excellent, so at this point it depends on their prices). He's going on my right front hip. <3

Needless to say, my mom is less than happy even though the tattoo will not be visible most of the time (I'm dreading the healing process).

My boyfriend has one right now (four leaf clover on his left hip) and itching for more. He has two fairly elaborate ones being teased out in his mind but it'll be a while before he can get either, since he also lacks funds.

I like tattoo's that are well done, not tacky. Preferably with a meaning, but not necessary. Yay tattoo's!

Cheers,
Syka

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-28, 05:47 PM
i'm very picky

most peoples idea of a good tattoo....well... isn't. Be it poor execution (goddamnit people, stop supporting shoddy tattoo artists because of price/conveiniance! support talented artists and pay the price - its worth the hassle), or just a bad idea, most people just get rubbish work done

at the moment i have a custome 3/4 japanese sleeve with elements of my religious beliefs (or lack there-of), a piece for my now deceased grandfather (my way of dealing with the grief since i didn't attend his funeral), and some other japanese elements (koi, peony, cherry trees/blossums)

im not keen on band symbols/writing/peoples names or any of that.... but i am strangely drawn to the idea of getting the symbol for the trust (100 bullets reference) done as part of my chest piece. But give me a month and i'll count it out as i already know its a bad idea

evisiron
2008-10-28, 06:03 PM
Not a huge fan of tattoos. I don't have any, but might some day.
Most likely (if ever) UV tattoos. Like the first line in here:
Xray (http://www.tattooartists.org/Gal3975_UV_Blacklight_Ink.asp)

My girlfriend's friend has some cool ones, including:
-ATAT schematics
-Lightsabre on finger
-Full metal alchemist shoulder

He plans to be literally covered by the time he is buried. Doing as much as possible while alive, and have the remaining space covered after.

By the way, I had heard of 5, 10, and 15 year inks that disperse in the time period. Anyone know if that is true?

RS14
2008-10-28, 06:25 PM
I might get a tattoo of some sort when once I'm old, wrinkled, and won't have time to regret it. :smalltongue:
I don't know of what, though. Probably some significant or interesting piece of math.

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-28, 06:31 PM
All but belt or butt tattoos are great.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-28, 07:00 PM
By the way, I had heard of 5, 10, and 15 year inks that disperse in the time period. Anyone know if that is true?

i've heard of 'temporary' tattoos that last few years. Whether or not this is urban myth is a point of debate. Either way, if they're design to disperse after a number of years, they're going to spend the majority of them looking like a mess... definately to be avoided

Syka
2008-10-28, 07:08 PM
Not only that, but the point of a tattoo is permanence. If you don't think you'll want it the rest of your life, don't do it. Get custom temporary tat's. ;)

My fox has meaning to me, and I know I won't regret it. At some point the meaning may not be the same in my life, but part of it's there to remind me of my youth. :)

Cheers,
Syka

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-28, 07:10 PM
I want metal ink.

TheBST
2008-10-28, 07:17 PM
I want metal ink.

Wouldn't that cause extra hassle at metal detectors?

Does anyone remember when tattoos were supposed to be a sign of badassery? The calling cards of a hardcase? Seems every sod and their aunt has them now. And they get them of butterflies and angel wings. Doesn't this stuff defeat the whole purpose of getting tattooed in the first place?

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-28, 07:28 PM
I don't need a tattoo to prove I'm a badass.

Lord Tataraus
2008-10-28, 07:32 PM
I have nothing against tattoos but I think that most or just ugly. Anything that covers at least half an arm/back/chest is just stupid to me. Unless a tattoo has actually meaning to the person I don't see the point. I would never get one (mostly because of my phobia of syringes and tattoos are worse than that) but if I could get over that I would probably get one of a crimson rose, its always been a bit of a symbol of mine. More than one or two is just too much in my mind, especially when they have long-lasting temporaries around. About 5 years or so back my sister got a rose temporary tattoo real cheap ($8 or so) and it lasted for 3 months and then after that it started fading out for about a month before it was gone and you could use something to get it off quick if you wanted (rubbing alcohol or something like that). With the way technology is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they did have ink that lasted years, and I would guess they stay pretty well intact for most of it.

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-28, 07:33 PM
All tattoos have a meaning to the person that gets them even if it's only decoration.

newbDM
2008-10-28, 07:39 PM
Hey, ladies and gents, I'm here to ask y'all a question about tattoos, if you couldn't guess.

What do you think of tattoos? What is the coolest/most awesome tattoo you've ever seen? Ladies, are they sexy or no? Guys, are they awesome or no? What kind of tattoos would you reccomend for long-term enjoyment? What parts hurt the least? What sort of tattoo would you get?

Well, I personally think tattoos are interesting. I really like watching documentaries on the National Geographic Channel about how they were a cultural aspect of probably everyone's ancestors at one point or another throughout history and the cultures of old.

And although today in our country (and in some other countries like Japan) there is a big connection between them and gangs/criminal organizations/groups, unless the guys sporting them look like they are truly scary, I try not to judge on sight.

I am actually hoping to get a tattoo of my deceased dog over my heart area on my chest in the near future.

I also feel they can look quite attractive on a women, if done right. However, "tramp stamps" are an instant turn off for me. I can't even contemplate having a relationship with a woman like that, and I can't really respect women in everyday life with one. Thankfully, I believe I managed to talk my younger sister from getting one before she turned 18 a month ago. However, I was trying to be supportive of her getting a more....tasteful?...one, since our mother back home is uptight about such things (born again Christian and all that).

Copacetic
2008-10-28, 08:31 PM
Tattoes are alright. I'll maybe consider getting a small one one the shoulder blade or somesuch later in life. Maybe one like this (http://roomcandy.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/panda-drawing.jpg)

Jenkins
2008-10-28, 08:43 PM
I've got two, so it goes without saying that I'm a fan. Neat work on a dude can instantly give him points in my book. And a girl with good ink is almost always a cool person, imo.

That being stated, I am not a fan of red neck/gang-banger/'everybody's doing it!' tattoo people. Also, 'tramp stamps' or as I like to refer to them, 'Butt moulding', just make girls look sleazy. Tasteful, good artwork is the only thing you should put on your body. Unless you're going for tasteless, shoddy work. Then right on.

From what I'm told, the typical shoulder hurts the least, and I would agree as one of mine is on my shoulder.

newbDM
2008-10-28, 08:55 PM
I've got two, so it goes without saying that I'm a fan. Neat work on a dude can instantly give him points in my book. And a girl with good ink is almost always a cool person, imo.

That being stated, I am not a fan of red neck/gang-banger/'everybody's doing it!' tattoo people. Also, 'tramp stamps' or as I like to refer to them, 'Butt moulding', just make girls look sleazy. Tasteful, good artwork is the only thing you should put on your body. Unless you're going for tasteless, shoddy work. Then right on.

From what I'm told, the typical shoulder hurts the least, and I would agree as one of mine is on my shoulder.

"Butt molding". I like that. Mind if I steal it?

Also, what have you heard about the level of pain with chest tattoos?

Syka
2008-10-28, 09:38 PM
Chest shouldn't be bad if you stay away from the sternum and ribs. On the pectoral muscle should be fine. Basically, if there is skin real close to bone it'll probably hurt. It's why I'm getting mine right inside the hip bone, not on it. :smallsmile:

TheBST, the whole point of getting a tattoo is self expression. Whether you want your body to be a canvas or you want to express part of your personality through art on your body, it's a personal choice. It has nothing to do with badassery.

(Though, my fox does look pretty badass. :smallwink:)

newb, I some how managed to convince my mom that my tattoo is not going to ruin me. It helped that I explained the meaning behind it, that I've been thinking about it for years, that it was a custom design, and that any others I get will be just as well hidden (nothing that would show in, say, a wedding dress or other formal attire) and will have just as much thought put into it.

My boyfriend's mom, on the other hand, cried when she found out he got one. He'd used his debit card and she ended up seeing the statement. >> I'm glad my boyfriend supports (*coughencouragescough*) my tattoo. My ex did not like the idea at all.

Cheers,
Syka

valadil
2008-10-28, 09:43 PM
I think they're cool, but could never get one. I don't draw a lot of symbolism from imagery and I get bored of most pictures I see anyway. I don't believe that a single symbol exists that I wouldn't get bored of after 6 months.

rubakhin
2008-10-28, 09:51 PM
Skateboarders? Pfft, I hang out with convicted felons. Well just one, but he also happens to be an amazing tattoo artist. Basically I can get a great tattoo for free when I want. My friends have some awesome ones from him. One of my friends has Nermal on his arm with the word nuisance under it, and Felix the Cat holding a cartoon bomb on the other. He also has the Torment symbol on his shoulder that looks rad so far, but isn't done yet. My other friend got a molotov cocktail on his hand. Said it was the most painful thing he's ever done, but it looks amazing.

I have a friend like that, he is in prison in Russia. (He's a really sweet guy and never did anything serious, only theft, so you can hang out with him. :smalltongue:) If I were ever going to get a tattoo, I would wait until I was in prison. He started this (http://community.livejournal.com/prison_tattoo/) community on LJ to show off the special language of Russian prison tats, so anyone interested can poke around (a little NSFW).

I don't have tattoos, but I did get one of my old boyfriends to carve some stuff onto my back. It took four hours (probably because he used a dull Sharpie blade) but it didn't hurt at all and left beautiful scars:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z118/ya_kochevnik/memeanswers6.png

I prefer scarification to tattoos myself.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-10-28, 10:04 PM
I'm not really a big fan of them.. If I ever got one, it would be on the outside of my left forearm, but I don't like the idea of them being permanent (what I like and what is important to me changes often).

ZombieRockStar
2008-10-28, 10:04 PM
Funny that this thread came up now, 'cause...I'm getting one tomorrow. First tattoo. Design I've wanted for almost a year now: a ring of lilies around my leg, just above my ankle. Symbolic thing—in the Victorian language of flowers, red lilies meant "high-souled" because of the bible verse where Jesus says "consider the lilies..." and I wanted something tasteful that would only be seen when I wanted it to, i.e. when I'm wearing shorts.

Been to the parlour, checked them out for safety and cleanliness, and am completely in love with the design the artist came up with.

My parents are good-natured in their disapproval. I honestly got more of a rise out of them when I bleached my hair. :smallconfused:

~

At my high school, the main sponsor of our yearbook (lifesaver, that one...we would've never gotten the damn thing out without their money) was the local body art place, which hosted a lot of events about tattoo/piercing information...in retrospect, I kind of appreciate them for doing that: didn't make it seem like a bad thing for teens to do and emphasized the safety aspect.

~

I don't understand the idea behind just getting a design out of the albums they have in the parlours, though. Seems like that would be too much of a whim thing for something so permanent. It's like writing a poem on your skin; you want it to signify something other than "dude, it's a skull on a motor bike, kewl!!!"

newbDM
2008-10-28, 10:05 PM
Chest shouldn't be bad if you stay away from the sternum and ribs. On the pectoral muscle should be fine. Basically, if there is skin real close to bone it'll probably hurt. It's why I'm getting mine right inside the hip bone, not on it. :smallsmile:

TheBST, the whole point of getting a tattoo is self expression. Whether you want your body to be a canvas or you want to express part of your personality through art on your body, it's a personal choice. It has nothing to do with badassery.

Well, that is not true for everyone.

Some of us would get them for personal reasons, or to express ourselves in some way. However, there are clearly people out there for the "badassery".

Denying it is like saying that all artists (painters, musicians, poets, whatever) do it "for the art". The sad honest truth is that many of them do it just to get laid.

newb, I some how managed to convince my mom that my tattoo is not going to ruin me. It helped that I explained the meaning behind it, that I've been thinking about it for years, that it was a custom design, and that any others I get will be just as well hidden (nothing that would show in, say, a wedding dress or other formal attire) and will have just as much thought put into it.

Good point. I tried getting that point across to my sister. She is very susceptible to peer pressure, and was in one of those "xxxx got hers, and xxx blah blah blah..." moments. I first tried convincing her to think about it, because it is a life long decision. I used the fact that I spent around six years thinking about and deciding on my name. I then explained that I have been thinking about my own tattoo for about two years now, and that now I am finally sure it is what I want for life (It won't be easy to see his beautiful face every day in the mirror, bath, etc). But then I gave up and tried to get the point across of the "tramp stamp", in the hopes that she would choose something more classy. However, I think the whole thing is finally not what she wants anymore, or she is still planning/saving to get it done at that TV show's place in Miami.

Apex
2008-10-28, 10:11 PM
I used to really want one when I was younger, but now I know I will never get one. I now consider them really silly, as most people get tattoos that have no meaning at all to them (eg; People getting Asian characters all over them, who can't speak the language!). To my shame, I kinda instantly think less of people who get tattoos, but that doesn't mean I think they're bad people or anything.

Perhaps someone could explain it to me, but I never understood all these people who got tattoos to remind themselves of a great past experience/Principle of what they live by/important stuff that serves as a reminder etc. Are you afraid that you might actually forget about whatever it is unless you've permanently inked it upon yourself?

Knaight
2008-10-28, 10:32 PM
Its there to give an excuse to talk about said experiences/philosophy. Somebody asks about the tatoo, you get to give them your philosophy. Lesson learned: Never ask about a tatoo.

Lemur
2008-10-28, 10:37 PM
While I tend to like seeing tattoos on other people (well, usually) I'd never get a one myself simply because there's nothing that I'd want to be permanently grafted on my body. There are some designs I think would be neat to have, but I'd want them to be able to change periodically. Something like spiderwebs on my arm, or integrated circuitry on my face (I'd be more interested in solid color designs and patterns than full fledged paintings). Would body paint or some sort of makeup work for that?

And rubakhin, that's pretty hardcore. What's it say?

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-28, 10:38 PM
One of the things I worry about is I'm a Klutz... with blood involved. Not a month goes by without me snagging my flesh on some exposed metal and I keep walking like the juggernaut tearing myself apart. With tattoos there a good chance that in addition to pain I'm going to ruin some art and cost myself a bit more than the blood.

Zeb The Troll
2008-10-29, 02:41 AM

*snip*

Cheers,
SykaI have one on my left pec. It was easily the most painful of the five that I have though I don't have any in the traditional owie places like the hip bone or the collar bone.

Regarding a woman's tattoo on the lower back at the belt line - I would caution against the usage of the term "tramp stamp" since you never know who has one until you see it and I think you'll find that there is no valid stereotype that fits a majority of women who have them. I prefer the term "racing stripes" myself, though that's often inaccurate too, but at least it's not being judgmental about a person you may not even know. :smallcool:

I'm not really even sure why a tattoo in that location ever got that name other than the fact that it sounds clever if you don't think about what you're saying. That location is a perfectly natural place for a woman to get a tattoo. It's a natural curvature that a tattoo enhances easily and it's easily balanced and symmetrical on the body, as well as easily concealed in disapproving company or inappropriate circumstances. Unfortunately, now that that location has the stigma of "slutty" attached to it, fewer women will get them for no good reason.

Speaking of judgments, I also get really cranky when people tell me that they judge people by their choice of ink. Most people have different thresholds of what is "too much" and makes a person unsavory, but the fact that you'd judge a person by their choice of self expression without so much as having a conversation with them appalls me. I once dated a woman who's mother behaved this way. We met in the winter so our first few meetings went just fine and dandy and it wasn't until several months later when the weather warmed that she discovered I had tattoos. It was at this time that she decided that I wasn't suitable to be dating her daughter. Or sometimes this happens: "Well, you're okay, Zeb, but most people who get tattoos...." Are you serious?

Bah. I can go on about this topic all day. For more of Zeb's Thoughts On Tat's read this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4922801&postcount=44) in the other thread.

Totally Guy
2008-10-29, 03:30 AM
The sad honest truth is that many of them do it just to get laid.

Wait wait wait wait, having a cool tattoo might contribute to getting laid...

Well you've convinced me.:smalltongue:

dsuursoo
2008-10-29, 03:47 AM
the old rebellion motto: 'Don't tread on me' with the copperhead.

a lot of people ask me if it's metallica related.

then they learn something about american history.

good stuff.

Castaras
2008-10-29, 04:51 AM
I personally don't like tattoos much, especially if they're really big.

Small ones are okay, however. I just don't find them any more or any less attractive.

Tattoos for myself....no. No no no. Get the needles away from meeeeee!! *flee*

Quincunx
2008-10-29, 05:30 AM
. . .Perhaps someone could explain it to me, but I never understood all these people who got tattoos to remind themselves of a great past experience/Principle of what they live by/important stuff that serves as a reminder etc. Are you afraid that you might actually forget about whatever it is unless you've permanently inked it upon yourself?

It's a way of making permanently visible an experience that made a permanent, invisible mark upon your soul.

SurlySeraph
2008-10-29, 06:48 AM
I probably wouldn't get a tattoo, seeing as how they'll look stupid (and lose their shape as you skin bags out) as you get older.

With that said, I have various tattoos I'd like to get. I definitely would like to have either a tattoo of a cross or a cross-shaped scar over my heart. Maybe a Cross of Santiago on one of my shoulder blades. Also, I find the idea of tattooing "All Flesh is Grasse" above my groin amusing. Because, ya know, nothing is as arousing as a reminder of your own mortality. :smallwink:

valadil
2008-10-29, 07:30 AM
the fact that you'd judge a person by their choice of self expression without so much as having a conversation with them appalls me. [/U] read this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4922801&postcount=44) in the other thread.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about people who don't judge based on the presence of the tattoo but on its content? For instance, any time I see a cross tattooed one someone I assume that person is at least somewhat religious. I don't think that sort of judgment is necessarily a bad thing.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-29, 08:06 AM
i definately judge people on the content/quality of their ink - it says a lot about their character and choices in life

Generic Archer
2008-10-29, 08:08 AM
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about people who don't judge based on the presence of the tattoo but on its content? For instance, any time I see a cross tattooed one someone I assume that person is at least somewhat religious. I don't think that sort of judgment is necessarily a bad thing.

I'll agree, I judge more on content, anything that looks like flash out of a folder kind of annoys me because it's not that hard to come up with your own, mine took a couple of days on photoshop to get it right after a couple of years of contemplation.

But some are just sweet, I saw a guy a week or so ago that had probably 10+ across his upper body, they included a picture of Death, a Warhammer orc and several other awesome designs that were clean and well done

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9435/tat1hu0.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tat1hu0.jpg)http://img82.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)
Mine just after i had it done a year ago

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-29, 08:15 AM
I want a small celtic circle on my shoulder, with some bumps in the lines sometimes.

To remind me that life go's on, even though it gets hard that I need to go on.

Apex
2008-10-29, 09:15 AM
It's a way of making permanently visible an experience that made a permanent, invisible mark upon your soul.

I see. The purpose of it being visible then is so other people can see it? If so, then why would one want other people to see it?

From my position it just kinda seems like the only reason someone would get a tattoo is because they think it looks cool.

Quincunx
2008-10-29, 10:19 AM
A tattoo to commemorate an event isn't necessarily to display to other people, although that's sometimes the point. Some people would have the tattoo as a survivor's mark to flaunt to the mirror, good experience or bad. Some would find private solace in transferring a bad experience away from being a burden on their soul and reducing it to a mark on their skin. Some just want a reminder which'll still be there after they've gone old and senile, or even longer. It's a bit strange to people who are comfortable with letting ideas and dreams remain ideas and dreams, yet understandable.

mercurymaline
2008-10-29, 11:02 AM
Perhaps someone could explain it to me, but I never understood all these people who got tattoos to remind themselves of a great past experience/Principle of what they live by/important stuff that serves as a reminder etc. Are you afraid that you might actually forget about whatever it is unless you've permanently inked it upon yourself?

I got a commemorative tattoo a while back, after a particularly gruesome experience. Long story short, I bailed out of a situation and ended up in therapy for PTSD. Someone made the comment that "it gets better with time." I was afraid the memory would fade, and I would start doubting myself, thinking it wasn't that bad, that I should have stuck it out. I got a big tattoo, in a very visible place, to remind myself that it was that bad, and to be glad I got out when I did. I'm not trying to remember the crappiness of it all, but it's important to me that I never second-guess that decision.

Its there to give an excuse to talk about said experiences/philosophy. Somebody asks about the tatoo, you get to give them your philosophy. Lesson learned: Never ask about a tatoo.

I only spoke to a kid, who ended up becoming a friend, because he had a Fianna tribe tattoo. I knew when I saw it we had something odd in common. A lot of my tattoos are similar symbols, calling out to people like me. Other than that, I'd rather people not ask, b/c it takes forever to explain, and most people still don't get it.

Regarding a woman's tattoo on the lower back at the belt line - I would caution against the usage of the term "tramp stamp" since you never know who has one until you see it and I think you'll find that there is no valid stereotype that fits a majority of women who have them. I prefer the term "racing stripes" myself, though that's often inaccurate too, but at least it's not being judgmental about a person you may not even know. :smallcool:

I'm not really even sure why a tattoo in that location ever got that name other than the fact that it sounds clever if you don't think about what you're saying. That location is a perfectly natural place for a woman to get a tattoo. It's a natural curvature that a tattoo enhances easily and it's easily balanced and symmetrical on the body, as well as easily concealed in disapproving company or inappropriate circumstances. Unfortunately, now that that location has the stigma of "slutty" attached to it, fewer women will get them for no good reason.

Not every tattoo in that location is a "tramp stamp," just the stupid ones. I worked at a tattoo parlor for a while, til the owner retired and sold the building to his stupid, ignorant, racist son. The sheer number of dumb tattoo requests I'd hear in a single afternoon is boggling. There's a university up the road, and the small of the back is the place college kids would get tattoos when they came in as a giggling group just wanting "something" but didn't care what. Lots of meaningless black spiral "tribal" things. I'd like to ask people who wanted 'one a them neat tribal thingys' "Ok, and, what tribe are you in?"

morbid

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-29, 02:15 PM
From my position it just kinda seems like the only reason someone would get a tattoo is because they think it looks cool.
Some people do that.

I think it's the worst reason ever.
I want a tattoo for myself, not for showing off, on my shoulder, it's not a much seen place but I would see it and know it's there. For me it's the meaning, a reminder.

Destro_Yersul
2008-10-29, 03:35 PM
I don't have any tattoos, and I don't plan on getting any. I'm not good with pain. At all.

However, if I did get one I know what it'd be. A little white chess knight on my right shoulder. I like to think I'm a pretty nice guy, and the whole 'white knight' thing is a pretty cool ideal. I'm fairly smart too, and chess is a game that involves rather a lot of thinking. It's one of my favourites, though I don't often have a chance to play. It's also a nice simple design, and probably not too intimidating to anyone who doesn't know me, plus it's in a nice easily concealable location.

Telonius
2008-10-29, 03:54 PM
If I had money to spare, it'd be a very simple one. A runic s (sigel) on my right arm. It's the rune of victory, which happens to be the same meaning as the name that the adoption agency called me. Also looks cool and lightning bolt-y.

There's a university up the road, and the small of the back is the place college kids would get tattoos when they came in as a giggling group just wanting "something" but didn't care what.

I would have given them something that says "I'm a poser" in Chinese. :smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2008-10-29, 04:17 PM
I've though on and off of getting a tattoo but can't think of anything to describe a design beyond "Eldritch".

But on the lower back tattoos. That is a very bad place to put them. Because that's where spinal taps are placed when they want your body anesthetized for surgery. Anesthesiologists have refused to put spinal taps in people with those tattoos on their body because the ink could cause problems with their immune systems.

mikeejimbo
2008-10-29, 04:57 PM
Well, once I join the Masons I'd like a Masonic tattoo. I looked into it and some Masons have them, though the hard part is finding a Masonic tattoo artist. I really want the Blue Lodge Symbol, in fact, though there are so many directions you can go even with that. It can be really simple or really elaborate. I think I'd go for something simple myself, actually.

My parents are actually more concerned about me joining the Masons than they would be about getting a tattoo, so it doesn't really matter so much. :smalltongue: Still, I am currently under their care, and I don't think I will either join the Masons or get a tattoo until I can support myself. After all, both of those are expensive. (Although my grandmother would be willing to cover my initiation fee.)

Jenkins
2008-10-29, 09:15 PM
"Butt molding". I like that. Mind if I steal it?

Also, what have you heard about the level of pain with chest tattoos?

Go right ahead, I stole it from my artist.

My dad has a memorial for my aunt over his heart. He said it hurt more than all of his others. A friend of mine has one pretty much over his collar bone. To quote him, "I've made some really bad good decisions in my life, but this tops them all."

Syka
2008-10-29, 09:46 PM

It's more to keep it in the forefront of my mind, rather than remember it period. Part of what my fox symbolizes to me is my youth, ability to have fun, and intelligence. I want to have a constant reminder to enjoy life. I'm getting it at a point of transition, too, from college to 'life'.

If I get the ouroboros with a yin yang symbol inside, that symbolizes life and death and that you can't have the good without the bad. If I get the heraldic hawk instead that represents not resting until I reach my goals.

Mostly, it's concepts that I want to have constant reminders of so they don't slip to the back and I only remember them every now and then. That is why I am not getting any on my back- any tattoo's I get will be where I can see them.

Cheers~

Deathslayer7
2008-10-29, 09:55 PM
I would like to get a dragon on my arm/shoulder, if i ever do decide to get one.

To expand on this, not one of those fat ones, but more like the chinese ones, but not so long and skinny. It has some bulk to it, but doesn't look fat, and the length isn't all out of proportion to the width.

Possibly have it shooting flames. Not really sure.

Gray Jester
2008-10-29, 10:28 PM
I could see getting a few small designs, preferably either drawn by someone close to me or myself and then inked in by a professional. Also, they would all be just black designs, I don't personally like multicolored tattoos as much as I like the single color, black ones, which can look classy. I could see getting my arm covered in various circular designs/etc, but I'd carefully plan that out before anything happened, particularly since eventually I might bulk up/stop being a skinny and wirey fellow.

rubakhin
2008-10-29, 11:13 PM

Dude, do you have Asperger's or something? :smalltongue: (I'm not trying to be mean or anything, it's just one of those things my Aspie friends don't get either.) Well, I'll try my best ...

Okay, first of all, there are the subculturally significant tattoos. (Weird digression: I almost got one of those teardrop tattoos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_tattoo) back when I was planning to do for this guy. Then I realized it was basically like having a permanent sign on my face reading "I just committed murder. Please arrest me!" How do people get away with that? Seriously. Anyway, I ended up letting him live, which I regret ... ) But you're probably not that confused about the Russian prison tats that I linked earlier, which have practical applications. They can serve as like a kind of dog tag explaining what you're in for, among other things. Like for instance, special tattoos (http://ljplus.ru//img4/p/a/paramonoff/prison10.jpg) [the eyes on his hipbones - it's supposed to resemble a face, but he'd have to take his pants off for you to see the nose] are forcibly applied when a prisoner is "humiliated" (basically, made a member of the class of prison bitches - the process has been ritualized in Russian prisons, which is quite creepy) or as punishment if he can't pay up when he loses at cards, that kind of thing. So you can tell some things about his character just by looking at him. It's also one of the few outlets for self-expression and rebellion that the prisoners have. My friend Paramonoff has Nazi symbols (http://pics.livejournal.com/mike_paramonoff/pic/00023asc/s320x240) tattooed on his body (he says that he now regrets it though - also, don't laugh at him!! They are his earliest tattoos and look crappy, but he learned to draw by tattooing all over his own body!! That's dedication!) which in prison tat language symbolizes antagonism against the Russian authorities, and not necessarily a white power or anti-Semitic message. I've seen some symbolizing the idea "I was meant to be free." (http://ljplus.ru//img4/m/i/mike_paramonoff/woman2.jpg) [the bird tattoo, which has the word for freedom, svoboda, written above it] Paramonoff couldn't go around beating the guards' skulls in, and the ones with the freedom tattoos couldn't scream it out loud every day and rattle the bars, but to have those tats is to make the feelings in your heart a physical, daily reality, as good as that punch or that scream.

I guess that's the driving force behind "civilian" tattoos. There's something very powerful in taking something abstract and massive and making it into a beautiful, real thing, that you can touch and hold. A flag isn't a country, but you put your hand on your heart to it. A wedding ring isn't a marriage, but you give one to the woman that you love. A cross around your neck isn't your faith, but you wear one to keep it close to you. To take something meaningful to you and turn it into something physical, something bound to your flesh the way your meaningful thing is bound to the soul, well ... it strikes something in the human psyche.

It's not a reminder. It's a manifestation.

(Of course, I don't see anything wrong with just wanting pretty body art that looks and/or means something cool, but to each his own. It's easier to explain, anyway. To show toughness or sex appeal, even flamingos will go and dye their feathers.)

Ah, by the way, to the guy who asked, the scars on my back are in French, taken from the book Une saison en enfer (A Season in Hell).

Elle est retrouvee!
Quoi? L'eternite.
C'est la mer melee
Au soleil.

(It is found again!
What? Eternity.
It is the sea merged
With the sun.)

newbDM
2008-10-30, 12:29 AM
Well, once I join the Masons I'd like a Masonic tattoo. I looked into it and some Masons have them, though the hard part is finding a Masonic tattoo artist. I really want the Blue Lodge Symbol, in fact, though there are so many directions you can go even with that. It can be really simple or really elaborate. I think I'd go for something simple myself, actually.

My parents are actually more concerned about me joining the Masons than they would be about getting a tattoo, so it doesn't really matter so much. :smalltongue: Still, I am currently under their care, and I don't think I will either join the Masons or get a tattoo until I can support myself. After all, both of those are expensive. (Although my grandmother would be willing to cover my initiation fee.)

Are you allowed to say all this?

I imagine the guys who secretly run every major government leader might not like that. No, seriously here. That (and now you) really scare the heck out of me.

Oh, and thank you guys for the information about chest tattoos.

Apparently those are killer. And since I am terrible with pain, and have a lifelong problem with needles (I still remember having to be held down in the hospital as a kid) I will have a difficult time with this. However, I will need to find a way t deal with it.

Perhaps I can get some tranquilizers prescribed for this event?

I am really worried I can mess the design/image, and my whole body along with it.

Are there like computerized tattooing machines/engravers out there?

Zeb The Troll
2008-10-30, 12:42 AM
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about people who don't judge based on the presence of the tattoo but on its content? For instance, any time I see a cross tattooed one someone I assume that person is at least somewhat religious. I don't think that sort of judgment is necessarily a bad thing.Yeah, that's a different sort of question. The content of the inking can definitely say something about the person who chose it. I'll admit that I make guesses about what it says about a person before I speak to them, but I do keep an open mind. Sometimes it doesn't mean what you think it means.

To create an example, I strongly advised against getting anything that's likely to have a shelf life, like TV characters or band names. So imagine how embarassed I would be if I saw someone with a tattoo of "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" displayed proudly on his upper arm and gave him grief about it, only to learn later that it was because the last time he saw his father was staying up watching it with him as a kid before he was killed by a drunk driver and this tattoo was to memorialize to this last, fond memory. You just never know.

It's not a reminder. It's a manifestation.That's a fantastic way to phrase it. I'm going to have to remember this line the next time I have this conversation in person.

de-trick
2008-10-30, 08:33 AM
goin to et one, but cant make up my mind, have a vague idea, something with a rose for sure, than maybe a lion for my zodiac, but not sure

my veiw on where to get it, somewhere you could hid if you needed to, like back or legs, or upper arm

and that can you live with it when your 80 and is it still important to you

if I get a rose, yes because it would be for my mom who passed away, and could never forget about her.

as for

mikeejimbo
2008-10-30, 05:44 PM
Are you allowed to say all this?

I imagine the guys who secretly run every major government leader might not like that. No, seriously here. That (and now you) really scare the heck out of me.

Well yeah, in doing my research I came across a number of forum posts about Masonic tattoos. I mean, if they aren't against the tattoos in general (as I thought they might be, but wasn't sure) they're not against talking about it. They're not nearly as secretive if you think, and you are quite allowed to proclaim that you're a Mason, and hence get jewelry and tattoos with their symbolism.

And they don't actually run every major government leader, so stop being scared.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-30, 08:09 PM
not to get side-barred into a discussion over "MASONZ RUN TEH WURLD! lolz" - but seriously, so much rubbish is spoken about free mason. I used to work with one, and he was open about his membership and a lot of things regarding membership. Theres certain things he wouldn't discuss, but its not all sinister as you might think. Just go and speak to them.

as for computerised tattoo machines - theres none out there as far as i know. There is a pneumatic tattoo gun system out there, but i dont think thats what you mean

I wouldn't personally like a tattoo done by a machine anyway - i like the personal experiance of sitting with an artist who can make adjustments on the fly to make things sit better in the work and give you a better finished piece. Plus talking takes your mind off the pain.

CHEST TATTOOS - they will hurt alot due to the nature of bone being near the skin (worst pain i've ever felt was having my funny bone inked. yikes. Tip of the elbow though? tickled to the point it made me laugh). But it also depends how heavy handed the artist is

ZombieRockStar
2008-10-30, 09:47 PM
Yeah, that's a different sort of question. The content of the inking can definitely say something about the person who chose it. I'll admit that I make guesses about what it says about a person before I speak to them, but I do keep an open mind. Sometimes it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Truth. But, on the other hand, there's only so many reasons for a guy to get a picture of a naked girl on his arm, you know?

I could see getting my arm covered in various circular designs/etc, but I'd carefully plan that out before anything happened, particularly since eventually I might bulk up/stop being a skinny and wirey fellow.

In my high school social sciences class, one guy gave a seminar report on body art, and showed us a picture of something called stapling, where metal wires are...well, stapled into the skin and it looks like your arm's a spiral-bound notebook. All I could think of is: "what if you started working out?" The idea of the muscles underneath the staples growing and the wires cutting through the flesh as it happened...gah. :smalleek: (Though that may not be what actually happens—I don't know—it was sure horrible imagining it)

~

About the idea that bony areas hurt more...I asked my artist about that and he said it wasn't a solid rule. For mine, the area over the Achilles tendon (which was done last), hurt a hell of a lot more than the front, where the bone is closer to the skin.

Honestly, for those worried about the pain, this comes from someone who just got his first one: it hurts, no doubt. Lines, especially, feel like someone running a boxcutter along your skin, and then afterwards it feels like you just dry-shaved with a rusty razor, but the pain is easy to deal with. Sitting there for four hours if you got a large, complex one like I did? Bit harder to take.

(Also, if the artist tells you to tell him if you become even slightly dizzy/faint/queasy, do it—it's the result of an adrenaline dump and if you fight it, you'll lose and probably pass out)

~

I'd take pictures and upload them if I had access to a camera. :smallsigh: It came out beautifully; very happy that I spent the extra money, time and pain to get something I really, really like.

Question on aftercare, though: I was told to wait 24 hours before removing the bandage (done), gently wash the area off with plain soap and pat dry (done), gently rub a small amount of moisturizing cream on it (done), and then it's supposed to look really good for a couple of days and then it'll start to scab something ugly, which I just have to wait to fall off and not pick at or rub. Is there anything else I should know, from experience (especially from anyone with larger tats)? This is something I spent a lot on and really means something to me, so I want to make sure I don't accidentally mar it by being careless in the first few days afterwards.

Zeful
2008-10-30, 10:08 PM
In my high school social sciences class, one guy gave a seminar report on body art, and showed us a picture of something called stapling, where metal wires are...well, stapled into the skin and it looks like your arm's a spiral-bound notebook. All I could think of is: "what if you started working out?" The idea of the muscles underneath the staples growing and the wires cutting through the flesh as it happened...gah. :smalleek: (Though that may not be what actually happens—I don't know—it was sure horrible imagining it)

That's actually what happens. Because the muscle growth isn't rapid enough it won't displace the wire and will actually grow around it (rather than it cutting into the muscle).

Don Julio Anejo
2008-10-30, 10:19 PM
On masons - I used to have a customer at my old job (when I was bartending) who would come in every few days and ramble on about stuff while sipping beer. He used to be in the masons, and apparently all it is (from his point of view) is a mens' club where they get together away from controlling wives, get drunk and do stupid crap.

No taking over governments or anything. And I'm pretty sure he's telling the truth on this one because he's a giant conspiracy nut - if anything like that really went on, he would be the first one to blow the whistle.

Of course masons could have a beer-drinking initiation ceremony-doing lodges for people and real masonic lodges for running the world government...

Raien
2008-10-30, 11:31 PM
Question on aftercare, though: I was told to wait 24 hours before removing the bandage (done), gently wash the area off with plain soap and pat dry (done), gently rub a small amount of moisturizing cream on it (done), and then it's supposed to look really good for a couple of days and then it'll start to scab something ugly, which I just have to wait to fall off and not pick at or rub. Is there anything else I should know, from experience (especially from anyone with larger tats)? This is something I spent a lot on and really means something to me, so I want to make sure I don't accidentally mar it by being careless in the first few days afterwards.

Naw, just make sure you keep putting lotion on it (like twice a day) until it's totally healed. And make sure it's unscented lotion (moisturizer, whatever you want to call it). I've had a few friends who are tattoo artists, which is pretty sweet. I don't have too many though myself...Smashing Pumpkins heart on my left ankle (yes, I got a band tattoo, and eight years later I'm still not regretting it), a calla lily in the middle of my back with the words "Stuck on my eyes" underneath it in my own handwriting, and the poem The Finest of the Breed by Bukowski starting at the nape of my neck and going down my spine to the top of the lily. I've decided that I'm going to have a lot of text on me.

And I really like tattoos on people, guys and girls. I think it's hot...especially if it's something they've put a lot of thought into.

Weiser_Cain
2008-10-30, 11:40 PM
I wonder if they have red glowing ink?

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-31, 12:53 AM
aaaaaah AFTERCARE

this is an issue i know mucho about

avoid drinking in the next few weeks after getting inked. Alcohol thins the blood = more bleeding = more scabbing = more potential for fall out

"moisturiser"

don't just use a skin moisturiser when you're healing. Either use:
*burn treatment cream. (acroflex seems to be the product most commenly recommended)
*nappy rash cream (specifically bepantham if you can get it. Its cheap and it WORKS. it really REALLY does.)
*specific tattoo aftercare cream/lotion - which any good tattoo shop will have for sale behind the counter

some burn treatment and nappy rash creams can give a tattoo a slight yellow tint when used, so don't try them if you don't want to take the risk,

moisturising itself:
use you cream/lotion sparingly. You want full coverage, but you don't want excess cream on the skin, as this can affect the finished tattoo. My advise is after you apply your cream (especially if it greasy to the touch), to wipe gently with a tissue to remove any excess.

ideally you want to moisturise for at least a month after getting a tattoo done, even if looks healed

after a month or so, you can switch to regular skin moisturising cream - just stop the skin getting too dry

as far as hygene/healing regime goes you have three options:
1. idiots version
2. wet heal
3. dry heal

1st: idiots way of doing things. BAD CHOICE.

you take off the bandages, wash it off... then do nothing. Bad choice. BAAAAD choice. If you don't want to put the time and effort into caring for your tattoo after getting it done, don't waste your time by getting one at all. once again: BAD CHOICE!

2nd - wet method

a) wait as long as possible (4 hours minimum), then before you go to bed remove the clingfilm/seran wrap (as this is what most tattooists will use as opposed to medical film used in burns treatment)
b) GENTLY wash it down with soap, cotton pads and WARM water (not boiling, just warm) in the sink you are no longer getting ink on the cotton pads. Pat dry with a towel. Moisturise. Leave to breathe overnight
c) in the morning, wash it again with water/soap/cotton pads, moisturise, and wrap in clingfilm, sealing it with medical tape - same way the tattoo artist did straight after he finished
d) after you get home from work/school etc in the evening, remove the clingfilm, wash+moisturise, and wrap+seal in fresh clingfilm
e) remove film, and wash before you go to bed. Leave the skin to breathe over night while you sleep
f) repeat for 2-3 weeks until healed

3rd - dry method

basically as Raien described

wash in the morning and evening
moisturise after washing.
moisturise when neccessary if tattoo becomes itchy

2nd method vs 3rd method pros and cons:

2nd
pros:
+the constant layer of moisture on the skin stops it getting dehydrating.
+this reduces itching/almost complete avoids heavy scabbing
+when it does 'scab' the skin will actually flake off instead - a lot less painful
cons:
-more effort required
-cost of clingfilm/gause tape (cheap, but an extra expense)
-for the first few days it will look super bright, and may worry you a bit. Before 'scabbing/flaking off' top layer of skill will stay super bright, so you won't see how the final colours will ACTUALLY look for about 5-10 days. This can be a bit daunting if some of the colours are especially bright on the skin. Have faith - when it finally flakes off it will have settled in nicely
-that cling film will smell when you cut it off for the first day or 2 (its been trapping sweat/shedded skin all day... hence the need to replace twice daily)

3rd
pros:
+cheaper
+less time intensive
+you'll see what the finished result will look like a few days sooner
+easier
cons:
-scabbing
-itching
-heavy scabbing can pull the colour out of the tattoo ("fallout"). You will need to get this retouched. Most tattoo artists won't charge for touch ups to fall out as long as they arn't massive/you've been trying to taking care of it (unfortunatly fall out isn't always avoidable. This is a particular issue with reds and purples, but different people vary)

im definately an advocate of the 2nd. The lack of heavy scabbing made the whole healing process so much easier. But its a personal preference

SUN SCREEN

sorry folks, but after you get a tattoo, tanning should not be a priority, especially if your tattoo is anything other than black/white/grey

avoid heavy sun exposure while healing.

sun will bleach out the colours with time. This i can garentee.

this doesn't mean you can't go out in the sun ever again, or not sun bathe. Just make sure you apply high factor sun screen to the area with a tattoo. My personal rule of thumb is a screen with an spf 5 higher than what ever im applying to the rest of my body, but thats just me... and im pretty pale anyway, so higher factors are always a must.

moisturise after prolonged sun exposure (like a day at the beach).

ZombieRockStar
2008-10-31, 10:27 AM
[ . . . ]

Thanks. I think the second option is better for me, since my tattoo has quite a lot of red in it and I want to preserve that and not need to go back for touch-ups.

My artist said that contrast is an important thing to remember when doing coloured tats, because after the brightness fades you still want the general impression of the colours. Right now, mine looks very vibrant and almost cartoonish, so I expect it to fade and become more subtle after a few weeks.

I was told that just regular high-quality moisturizer works fine, though. I'm using a basic, non-scented lotion.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-31, 11:59 AM
Thanks. I think the second option is better for me, since my tattoo has quite a lot of red in it and I want to preserve that and not need to go back for touch-ups.

I was told that just regular high-quality moisturizer works fine, though. I'm using a basic, non-scented lotion.

you won't regret the extra effort - it makes the healing process so much easier, especially if the tattoo is near an area of the body with a lot of movement (ie: joints). When it flakes off it wont all go at onces, but in stages, so be patient. Don't try and rub/pull off any loose skin. Let your body shed it naturally.

as for regular moisturiser - they can probably be used just as well, i've just never used them myself while healing so wouldn't advocate them out of not wanting to give poor advice. Seriously - bepantham nappy rash cream REALLY is the best stuff you can get that isn't a specifica tattoo healing product. Its widely available and cheap as hell too

crimson77
2008-10-31, 01:34 PM
I don't have tattoos, but I did get one of my old boyfriends to carve some stuff onto my back. It took four hours (probably because he used a dull Sharpie blade) but it didn't hurt at all and left beautiful scars:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z118/ya_kochevnik/memeanswers6.png

I prefer scarification to tattoos myself.

What does the carving say?