PDA

View Full Version : Character Idea: Man With a Living Puppet (4E)

Leliel
2008-10-28, 06:21 PM
Inspired by a thread on Wizards:

I was basically thinking: "Every time we see a ventriloquist in fiction with the ability to animate his dummy, he's evil. So, lets say one of these is a good guy. How would this work?" Being the Striker fanatic that I am, I thought he might be a Feylock with abilities based around control-the whole "evil puppteer" thing. So, here's a thought:

The PC was a an ordinary toymaker before the Death Of Somone Close To Him (TM) drove him to partial insanity. In order to have a mesure of said somone come back from the grave, so to speak, he crafted his finest toy, a marionette in the likness of said person. Of course, being a puppet, it was of course a statue, and seeking to make it "perfect", he called out to the fey to imbue it with life. The fey did so, but not in the way he intended-it's just a mental extension of him, merely a puppet with a new form of string. Seeking a way to bring back said loved one from the dead in a way that wasn't simply an effigy, he set out for adventure.

During battle, he uses the marionette to attack, with it physically attacking those he sics Eldrtich Blast on, and with it's psychic stirngs being used for Eyebite.

So, what do you think?

Tengu_temp
2008-10-28, 06:29 PM
1. You really do like 4e warlocks, don't ya?
2. This idea is awesome. Also a great way to mess with the other PCs, which is always a plus.

Asbestos
2008-10-28, 07:29 PM
During battle, he uses the marionette to attack, with it physically attacking those he sics Eldrtich Blast on, and with it's psychic stirngs being used for Eyebite.

Wait.. does he throw the puppet at them for Eldritch Blast? Does the puppet shoot some sort of energy ball? does the puppet fly up and slap them around? I need a better visual on this attacking puppet thing.

Also, if this Warlock gets a wand/rod... who holds it? man or puppet? or are you going to have the puppet itself enchanted as if it were a wand/rod?

Mando Knight
2008-10-28, 07:54 PM
Also, if this Warlock gets a wand/rod... who holds it? man or puppet? or are you going to have the puppet itself enchanted as if it were a wand/rod?

I could see a wand/rod being used as the puppeteer's control rod.

Leliel
2008-10-28, 08:03 PM
Wait.. does he throw the puppet at them for Eldritch Blast? Does the puppet shoot some sort of energy ball? does the puppet fly up and slap them around? I need a better visual on this attacking puppet thing.

Number 3 on the attack bit-it's mystical in nature, but for all intents and purposes, it looks like the puppet flys up and attacks.

As for the rod/wand...What Mando Knight said.

Moff Chumley
2008-10-28, 08:42 PM
Very kickass. You can probably home-brew some cool powers for it, too.

Starsinger
2008-10-28, 08:45 PM
Ahh.. Makes me think of the Puppet Masters from Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre (without quite as much suck).

Tengu_temp
2008-10-28, 08:45 PM
Very kickass. You can probably home-brew some cool powers for it, too.

Preferably something fear-related.

Ahh.. Makes me think of the Puppet Masters from Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre (without quite as much suck).

Eh, dunno about the other games, but in the Ogre Battle for SNES they were quite decent - at tier 2 they had 2 AoE attacks at a point where all other characters attacked one target at a time.

Calinero
2008-10-28, 08:47 PM
+5 to Creepiness for having a puppet of any kind.

Starsinger
2008-10-28, 08:50 PM
Eh, dunno about the other games, but in the Ogre Battle for SNES they were quite decent - at tier 2 they had 2 AoE attacks at a point where all other characters attacked one target at a time.

That's true, but if I remember correctly they don't age particularly well. Or maybe that's the one game they were really good in. But I always loved them thematically.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-29, 03:32 AM
+5 to Creepiness for having a puppet of any kind.

Just like every other rule, this one also has exceptions (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Alice_Margatroid).

Siegel
2008-10-29, 05:50 AM
Yeah man, go Kankuro...

Guinea Anubis
2008-10-29, 08:13 AM
Wow what a cool idea. The first thing that jumps to mind is something along the lines of Zatch Bell.

Starsinger
2008-10-29, 08:18 AM
That Naruto ninja with the puppet and Zatch Bell... I wonder whether it's a bad thing or not (having been aware of both of those) that the first place my mind went was Ogre Battle... *shrug*

I forgot to say this earlier Leliel but I really like this character concept. You're wonderfully creative and I enjoy reading your threads.

Kletian999
2008-10-29, 09:22 AM
Shadow Hearts 2 (Covenant) had a party member puppeteer with the puppet based off his dead granddaughter or something. He gained class abilities by having a friend of his make dresses for her. You "paid" for the dress designs with ... naked pictures of men that you'd find in towns and dungeons.

Learnedguy
2008-10-29, 09:31 AM

I'd take the Lulu route. Have the puppet run up to them and swat them on the chins with a eldrich blast-infused puppet fist of justice:smallamused:

Revlid
2008-10-29, 10:36 AM
Frankly, my first thought went to Evangeline from Mahou Sensei Negima, and her use of Chachazero.

erikun
2008-10-29, 06:49 PM
That Naruto ninja with the puppet and Zatch Bell... I wonder whether it's a bad thing or not (having been aware of both of those) that the first place my mind went was Ogre Battle... *shrug*

I forgot to say this earlier Leliel but I really like this character concept. You're wonderfully creative and I enjoy reading your threads.
Hey, the first thing I think of with puppetmasters is Ogre Battle myself. And the good Dollmages were in the first game; all the others have them animate their doll to attack. Not that that isn't amusing...

As for the OP, this biggest question I'd be asking is "What happens if someone tries to attack the puppet?" After all, if it is a human-sized object that runs around hitting people, then it's reasonable to assume that said-people will try to hit it back.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-10-30, 04:20 AM
Frankly, my first thought went to Evangeline from Mahou Sensei Negima, and her use of Chachazero.

Really? I started off with Midori Days, and (after reading the thread) ended up with Mr Flibble.

For those who don't know of Mr Flibble, he is from an episode of Red Dwarf, where Rimmer (a hologram) is infected with a "holovirus" that - amongst other things - induces telekenetic powers and drives the victim insane.

Imagine the complete and utter berk of the series, in a red gingham dress and mop hat, speaking to a small penguin-like glove puppet.

"You shouldn't have run away, boys. Mr Flibble is very upset. What shall we do with them, Mr Flibble?"

"..."

"We can't do that, Mr Flibble. Who would clean up the mess?"

At which point the puppet's eyes start glowing...